00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kazukino55 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Label

1,233 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Newgrounds Label 2011-05-14 19:34:58

there should be one.

:discuss

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-14 19:42:55

I think it's not gonna work

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-14 19:44:18

Tom has stated that Newgrounds' priority has always been and will always be, the Flash portal. Audio related material comes second to that. Running a label would not be feasible.

Hasn't this been discussed already somewhere?

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-14 19:47:36

At 5/14/11 07:44 PM, brokendeck wrote: Tom has stated that Newgrounds' priority has always been and will always be, the Flash portal. Audio related material comes second to that. Running a label would not be feasible.

Hasn't this been discussed already somewhere?

Probably. I know it's been been brought up a couple of times, but it never seemed serious. In all honesty, I say the audio portal deviate away from NG and make a label totally irrelevant to NG. Not saying the label ash to be like "Newgrounds Records", just the people of NG create a label.

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-14 19:52:46

At 5/14/11 07:47 PM, DLBeezy wrote: In all honesty, I say the audio portal deviate away from NG and make a label totally irrelevant to NG. Not saying the label ash to be like "Newgrounds Records", just the people of NG create a label.

It's been done already.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-14 19:59:18

At 5/14/11 07:52 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 5/14/11 07:47 PM, DLBeezy wrote: In all honesty, I say the audio portal deviate away from NG and make a label totally irrelevant to NG. Not saying the label ash to be like "Newgrounds Records", just the people of NG create a label.
It's been done already.

Link? Label name? Names?

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-14 20:05:35

At 5/14/11 07:59 PM, DLBeezy wrote:
At 5/14/11 07:52 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
It's been done already.
Link? Label name? Names?

5Line Records... Like a quarter of the audio community seems to be signed to them... look around the forums long enough, you'll find a few people with a sig that links to their site. If it was actually formed from NG is beyond me... but they make a pretty big presence around here.

Not to mention, many, many, many people have branched off NG themed (In terms of artists) radio stations, dedicated audio portals (I.E. The Audio Portal, etc. etc...

And there's always talk of a Newgrounds label, many people have had the idea, some have tried it, most have failed. I couldn't speak for 5Line, but I'm sure there's someone kicking around the forums that you could inquire to.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-14 20:17:02

Seems lazy to me... If you think your stuff is good enough for a label, go for a label, don't cling to newgrounds.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-14 22:31:36

At 5/14/11 08:17 PM, Envy wrote: Seems lazy to me... If you think your stuff is good enough for a label, go for a label, don't cling to newgrounds.

I'm not. Did I ever say I was? I'm actually in the process of being signed to a label right now. I was just bringing up the topic.

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-15 00:53:13

There isn't a big calling for shit music made from stolen loops at the moment in the music industry, it would be a fail of an investment.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-15 03:19:23

At 5/15/11 12:53 AM, Cross666 wrote: There isn't a big calling for shit music made from stolen loops at the moment in the music industry, it would be a fail of an investment.

You ever heard music made in the past two years in the mainstream?

too easy

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-15 07:12:20

This would work if w emade it as a private label but this would mean someone would need to investigate money.
Now here's some issues:
Where do we get the money?
Where do we get the equipment we need?

There's also this issue of PR and A&R's. Where do we get these?
If we just could work these small things out, the big issue is money because starting your own label is really expensive and it can take a good couple of maybe five years before you actually start gaining profit out of what you have spent on the label. So I don't think NG would risk the chance of it or risk funding a project which is basically pretty unsecure at the moment whereas everyone are seeking towards the great big record labels.

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-15 08:39:18

At 5/15/11 03:19 AM, Spikrodd wrote:
At 5/15/11 12:53 AM, Cross666 wrote: There isn't a big calling for shit music made from stolen loops at the moment in the music industry, it would be a fail of an investment.

Well, in America, at least.

When I visited England, I was pleasantly surprised that what they play on the average pop radio station is actually listenable.

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-15 08:59:42

too easy

Knowing that mainstream music is SHIT, should we really go about adding to the pile?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-15 13:45:18

At 5/15/11 08:59 AM, Cross666 wrote:
too easy
Knowing that mainstream music is SHIT, should we really go about adding to the pile?

Hipster alert.

Mainstream has it's place in music and not all of it is bad. A good musician or advocate of music should realize that it merits some respect. If it wasn't good it wouldn't sell so much ;)

As for labels, newgrounds really isn't the place to find new musicians. There are some great tunes in the portal and some amazing artists. In my opinion this website is mostly where people post music that they didn't get signed.

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-15 15:12:50

I was talking about this the other day. It's really not an incredibly hard task; it would be time-consuming; but if resources were pooled together... it doesn't have to be all that expensive either.

I think it would be cool to avoid the main digital outlets (iTunes, BeatPort, BandCamp, etc)... and to build a label site/digital distributor that doubled as the label and the outlet. Artists would make a lot more off of each download because there wouldn't be a huge pile of people in the chain to pay off, and it could really catch on if a lot of talent got together on it.

I was a bit concerned about getting enough exposure for that sort of project, but with the increasing popularity of SoundCloud, and the ability to post "buy" links... with a few popular tracks the place could really blow up.

You could take it a step further and add management/booking/etc duties to the label... but generally artists have those separately anyway. However, if the place picked up to a good enough extent... a few well-networked individuals could easily get that moving as well.

Just have to think outside the box... I've heavily considered doing something like this.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Label 2011-05-15 19:38:16

Music labels aren't needed anymore. All they can do for you is advertise. Just hire a marketer and if shit overflows then hire an agent too.