00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MisterBig67425 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Donations : Why donate?

3,001 Views | 54 Replies

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 15:07:20

We have children starving and pets left out on the streets to die, we need to give them money.

What's that? Japan was hit with a Tsunami? Well fuck the starving children then.

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 15:09:52

People give because they want to feel important. As simple as that.

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 15:10:43

At 3/21/11 06:51 AM, letiger wrote: They get to think that they're good people for once.

They aren't.

Not everyone thinks this way.

People donate to help, because maybe unlike you, there are people out there who actually care and have sympathy for others. I would donate but too many places that accept donations are corrupt, and sometimes will only give a little bit of money to the cause they are "supporting", and take the rest for themselves.

Especially celebrities, I will never ever donate to any charity created by a celebrity. Wyclef Jones is a perfect example, he started a charity, and has taken at least a million dollars out of the charity for himself.

Also, If you want to get all technical about what you get out of donationing, you can write off donations on your taxes.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 15:13:57

At 3/21/11 03:01 PM, Markface wrote: I'm sure those 'doctors' at cancer research are just sitting on the cure to cash in on funding. Finding a cure for life threatening diseases is really just a walk in the park.

I think its pretty obvious they know the cure, or know how to find the cure. There is just so much money in the whole cancer thing they are to greedy to care. Look how much treatments cost such as chemotherapy.

Like I said in another post there was a doctor in my state who had a 98% success right in the removing and treating of cancer. He was mysteriously shut down. Pretty suspicious.

This might cause a shit fest for the ignorant, Marijuana has been proven to reduce the size of tumors. Sounds to me like at least a step in the right direction, if not the direction to the cure.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 16:09:33

Well donating to some kind of charity is usually rewarding not in material possessions, but in self-confidence since you get to meet the bright side of you (and basicly just because it's easier to say than the full reason.... it gives you a good/warm feeling inside that shows that you did a good deed).

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 16:28:19

Donations, along with making you feel better, make someones life a little better and in the long run all add up to helping someone. For instance, yesterday i donated money to the Japanese relief fund, i was going to use it for something else, something i really wanted, but instead i decided to give it to someone else.

Im a right sided Libertarian, and personally, i think if charities took over welfare, it might end up slightly better, as in its not forced on somebody yet it has this power that makes everybody feel guilty if they dont donate. Might be slightly tricky, but at the same time, knowing they have a choice makes them want to donate just knowing that they can or can't.

I can has mortal kombatz?

NG Viking Army

Zombie Crew

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 17:02:17

I donate to convince myself that I am not a horrible person.

But seriously, I don't donate to random charities, I like to make sure they are well organized, legit organizations that won't just whore all of my money, and give like 1% to the people they are supposed to be helping.

My top two are the Georgia Firefighter's Burn Foundation, they also have a free camp for burned children that I've been trying to get into for a couple of years, it's competitive though, and I didn't have a license the last time I tried to get in. I also donate to them because their annual fundraiser, "Give Burns the Boot" always results in hawt firefighters standing around asking me for money, and the more I give, the more they flirt, and I am a desperate whore like that.

I also like the Shriners, because they have funny little hats, do a lot with free help for (more) burnt kids, and my mom would always stop and give them money as well.

Rarely, I'll donate money to the Red Cross, but mostly it's just bodily fluids they get out of me.

Donations : Why donate?

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 17:05:21

At 3/21/11 05:02 PM, AgroNurse wrote: I also like the Shriners, because they have funny little hats, do a lot with free help for (more) burnt kids, and my mom would always stop and give them money as well.

Those are some pretty sweet hats.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 17:07:36

Because people are self-obsessed, disillusioned, assholes.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 17:09:44

At 3/21/11 05:07 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: Because people are self-obsessed, disillusioned, assholes.

Wait... this is why people donate?

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 17:16:38

At 3/21/11 05:09 PM, AgroNurse wrote:
At 3/21/11 05:07 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: Because people are self-obsessed, disillusioned, assholes.

It depends on how good the donation will be...

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 17:17:48

At 3/21/11 05:09 PM, AgroNurse wrote:

You and most other people said it in this thread. You donate because you don't feel bad. You are purposely donating just so you can give yourself some relief. Thus a selfishness. Some others do it because they believe it's the " right " thing to do. Some idea of a universal moral/ conscience leads them to do it.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 17:24:20

At 3/21/11 05:17 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:

You and most other people said it in this thread. You donate because you don't feel bad. You are purposely donating just so you can give yourself some relief. Thus a selfishness. Some others do it because they believe it's the " right " thing to do. Some idea of a universal moral/ conscience leads them to do it.

I was kidding. I donate to burn charities because I have a serious interest in burn treatment and rehabilitation.

Besides, even if someone donates for selfish reasons, it's still better than being a cheap bastard like yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 17:54:59

At 3/21/11 05:24 PM, AgroNurse wrote:
At 3/21/11 05:17 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:

I was kidding. I donate to burn charities because I have a serious interest in burn treatment and rehabilitation.

Besides, even if someone donates for selfish reasons, it's still better than being a cheap bastard like yourself.

So I'm a bad person for not giving a fuck about someone else now? This is a perfect example of my point, society in general tries to guilt people into donating by calling them cheap or heartless or what have you. I'd rather not donate because I genuinely don't care than lie to myself and say I do care.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 18:00:22

At 3/21/11 05:54 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: So I'm a bad person for not giving a fuck about someone else now? This is a perfect example of my point, society in general tries to guilt people into donating by calling them cheap or heartless or what have you. I'd rather not donate because I genuinely don't care than lie to myself and say I do care.

No, it doesn't make you a bad person. There are too many people in the world to care about all of them, you should always come first. But don't sit there and get offended if someone calls you bad person because you don't donate, if your going to talk shit about the people that do donate.

One could flip around your argument and say, that is a perfect example of how society has desensitized people, convincing them that they are the only ones that matter and they are more important then other people.

See how that works.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 18:04:51

At 3/21/11 06:00 PM, zooos wrote:
At 3/21/11 05:54 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: So I'm a bad person for not giving a fuck about someone else now? This is a perfect example of my point, society in general tries to guilt people into donating by calling them cheap or heartless or what have you. I'd rather not donate because I genuinely don't care than lie to myself and say I do care.

One could flip around your argument and say, that is a perfect example of how society has desensitized people, convincing them that they are the only ones that matter and they are more important then other people.

See how that works.

We were born onto this earth completely apathetic. We were the only things that mattered. I haven't been " desensitized " but every else has become overly empathetic.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 18:28:35

It releases dopamine in your brain and makes you feel good.

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 18:37:06

At 3/21/11 06:04 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: We were born onto this earth completely apathetic. We were the only things that mattered. I haven't been " desensitized " but every else has become overly empathetic.

Didn't actually mean you were, I was making a point about your argument. You can easily apply any word you want to the argument, it doesn't make it true.

My main point though was don't sit here and complain and call people who donate names, when you can't even take the same treatment.

You don't wanna donate fine, I don't care, and I don't think your a bad person because of it. But don't sit here and try and talk down on the people who do donate.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 18:39:05

do·nat·ed do·nat·ing
Definition of DONATE
transitive verb
1: to make a gift of; especially : to contribute to a public or charitable cause
2: to transfer (as electrons) to another atom or molecule

You get the feeling that you supported a good cause.

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 18:42:50

At 3/21/11 05:54 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:

So I'm a bad person for not giving a fuck about someone else now?

Pretty much.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 18:47:05

At 3/21/11 06:37 PM, zooos wrote:
At 3/21/11 06:04 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: We were born onto this earth completely apathetic. We were the only things that mattered. I haven't been " desensitized " but every else has become overly empathetic.
Didn't actually mean you were, I was making a point about your argument. You can easily apply any word you want to the argument, it doesn't make it true.

No, you really can't apply any word to my argument.

My main point though was don't sit here and complain and call people who donate names, when you can't even take the same treatment.

Except that the point of this thread is to say what your belief is. I said mine, and someone came derping around. I didn't just come in here and start shit with people.

You don't wanna donate fine, I don't care, and I don't think your a bad person because of it. But don't sit here and try and talk down on the people who do donate.

That's the point of this thread. To discuss your belief, that's all I did.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 19:09:59

At 3/21/11 06:47 AM, Overlord-Doomsday wrote: I just had to say it.

When people donate money, do they get anything out of it?? I'm afraid not, anybody tell me more about these things?!?

You can earn a tax credit for donating. So if you donate $100, you can get like $30 back from the government. Donating also gives some inner self-satisfaction to the donors too. Some people also donate for they can get something for it. Like those bake sales that give you a treat for a contribution. So if I wanted a cookie I could go buy it from a bake sale and get a cookie as well as supporting for a good cause.

There are special cases where some people may donate even though they can rake in the cash themselves. For instance, I'm making a flash (that unfortunately had it's FLA file corrupted) with another person, and we plan on implementing the API and linking all the ad revenue to those charity accounts. We do this because, asides from supporting a good cause, we know we won't rake in enough cash for years for the $50 check to be sent out via Revenue Sharing. So why make all that money if we won't get it in the end anyway? Thus, we decided to donate it to charity. Plus we hope the fact that we are donating all revenue to charity will increase exposure and viewers, so that people will play to donate to the charity, which can get the check sent out. So in certain situations, it's worth giving the money away as opposed to keeping it for yourself.

Hell my teacher gave away all of his earnings from his day at Jury duty (which is like $20) to charity for the school would then ask him for the money if he kept it. The greedy school district still wanted the money though, so he paid them the $20 (out of his own pocket) as a jar full of pennies (2000 pennies) as a fuck you to them.

You know, donating your organs can get you a crap load of cash. For instance, donating one of your kidneys can get you around $60,000, which is a lot. Although I wouldn't recommend doing that for if your other kidney fails you're dead. Donating is not always a sacrifice you know.

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 19:23:37

At 3/21/11 06:47 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: That's the point of this thread. To discuss your belief, that's all I did.

Actually your right and I apologize, I was completely out of line and border line asshole.

BBS Signature

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 19:38:46

People do it to get that satisfaction, that you've made a difference or something. So technically it's still a selfish act.

Response to Donations : Why donate? 2011-03-21 19:59:48

Don't care if "lolol trolled you".

At 3/21/11 03:13 PM, zooos wrote: I think its pretty obvious they know the cure, or know how to find the cure. There is just so much money in the whole cancer thing they are to greedy to care. Look how much treatments cost such as chemotherapy.

There isn't one cure. There are many for every variation of cancer. Hundreds have been found, hence the scaling system between non-malignant and terminal.

Treatment costs go specifically to the hospital that supplies them, none of that money goes to cancer research. Cancer research is not just for the cure of cancer but also to increase comfort levels, reduce horrible side effects (such as nausea during chemo) and tend to those suffering.

This means combating painful organ failure during a patients last moments, so they can die peacefully (well, more so).

Furthermore, cancer research helps prolong a patients life. Short of having your immune system shot, there are enough experimental drug trials to go peacefully extend ones life from crucial months to years. Every moment counts when it comes to getting your affairs in order.

Like I said in another post there was a doctor in my state who had a 98% success right in the removing and treating of cancer. He was mysteriously shut down. Pretty suspicious.

You'll find a lot of specified oncologists have this rate. A lot of cancer is very treatable, which could be seen by his success rate. Not all forms of cancer are, mind you.

This might cause a shit fest for the ignorant, Marijuana has been proven to reduce the size of tumors. Sounds to me like at least a step in the right direction, if not the direction to the cure.

Temporarily, with very few, non aggressive forms of tumor. Marijuana is a horrible use to combat even the more allocated tumors.

A tumor is the product of cancer, a disease that deforms growth in cells and tissues in localised areas of the body. You could find a miracle cure that completely removes cancerous tumors, you still will not have cured cancer, only a by-product of it.

I'm sorry, but you just don't know enough about this to make an intelligent comment. The fact that you google pot related experiments is lovely, but you seem to have a romanticised image of how easy medicine is.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature