00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JohnDickard just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mike Patton Fanclub

6,246 Views | 42 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-01-30 07:22:23

Title says it all really. Discuss Mike's musical projects, both past and present, and share your love for this man's musical genius.

If you're new to Mike Patton's music and don't know who I'm talking about, read on:

:: Michael Allan "Mike" Patton (born January 27, 1968) is an American singer-songwriter, composer, producer, lyricist, multi-instrumentalist, film actor, and voice actor, best known as the lead singer of the rock band Faith No More. He has also handled lead vocals for Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Lovage, Fantômas, The Dillinger Escape Plan and Peeping Tom.

Known for his eclectic influences and experimental projects, Patton has earned critical praise for his diverse vocals, which touch on crooning, falsetto, death growls, screaming, rapping, chanting, mouth music, beatboxing and scatting, among other techniques; critic Greg Prato writes, "Patton could very well be one of the most versatile and talented singers in rock music."

Mike Patton Fanclub

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-01-30 11:50:13

Mike Patton kicks ass.

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-01-30 18:43:37

His work on the Faith no More album King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime was just plin orgasmic.

BBS Signature

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-01-30 20:24:29

At 1/30/11 06:43 PM, Tobi wrote: His work on the Faith no More album King for a Day... Fool for a Lifetime was just plin orgasmic.

Agreed. I'm so glad FnM are back together. Who thinks mike should collaborate with les claypool? It'd be the greatest thing since sliced bread. :)

Did you also know he did all the vocals for the monsters in i am legend, and did the musical score for crank 2 high voltage? Sickness! :)

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-01-30 20:55:45

At 1/30/11 08:24 PM, WallofYawn wrote: Agreed. I'm so glad FnM are back together. Who thinks mike should collaborate with les claypool?

That sounds good. But due to the fact they both have such varied singing styles, I've always had dreams of him preforming with King Diamond. Not to say that would ever happen, but you know.

Did you also know he did all the vocals for the monsters in i am legend, and did the musical score for crank 2 high voltage? Sickness! :)

He also did most of the Common infected voices in Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, with no use of computer effects. Fuckin' great job if I do say so myself.

BBS Signature

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-01-30 21:45:57

At 1/30/11 08:55 PM, Tobi wrote:
At 1/30/11 08:24 PM, WallofYawn wrote: Agreed. I'm so glad FnM are back together. Who thinks mike should collaborate with les claypool?
That sounds good. But due to the fact they both have such varied singing styles, I've always had dreams of him preforming with King Diamond. Not to say that would ever happen, but you know.

I was thinking more like:

mike patton singing verse, while claypool plays bass, and they both sing chorus. Also, include clay pool talking really fast at one point like in tommy the cat. But really, seeing that mike can do pretty much any style, i don't see it as an issue. Also, mike has named primus as one of his favorite artists, and i believe mr. bungle opened for primus once, which is why the idea of them collabing came to my mind.

Mike's done some pretty tight collaborations in the past. Like his collaboration with dillinger escape plan, and Sepultura.

He also did most of the Common infected voices in Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, with no use of computer effects. Fuckin' great job if I do say so myself.

Forealiously man. Forealiously. :)

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-02-11 21:00:53

I was just going to make this club, then I stumbled across this.

Mike Patton is incredible. One of, if not my, favourite vocalist of all time. Mr. Bungle's "California" and Faith No More's 'Angel Dust" are two of my favourite albums of all time.

So yeah, I'm in.

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-02-17 12:31:14

Hey Patton Fans!

i just stumbled across this page and thought i'd mention a few things about Mike that i didn't see posted yet:
1. He did the voice of the main character in Bionic commando (Nathan RAD Spencer)
2. One of his side projects was called MONDO CANE. I don't post on the boards much so i don't know if it's ok to say this or not, but you can find Mondo Cane vids on youtube. It's basically Italian opera style music, but it's Mike Patton, so you know it's awesome!

I'm definitely a Mike Patton Fan! He is, in my opinion, the most versatile vocalist on the planet. Every style he chooses to perform, he completely masters.

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-07-24 09:01:10

Anyone know what Mike has been up to lately?

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-07-24 09:45:13

At 7/24/11 09:01 AM, Frenzy wrote: Anyone know what Mike has been up to lately?

Other than doing narrating for The Darkness 2 and managing Ipecac, I'm getting vibes his next release will be with Fantomas.

BBS Signature

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-07-24 14:58:37

The only band of Patton's I listen to is Fantomas.

But they're fucking awesome.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-10-30 16:50:07

Yea, that was pretty badass.(the darkness voice over) Tho the game itself seems.... meh.

Anyways, to keep this thread going, here's some mondo cane:

deep deep down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaUrzMeS4 xg

I don't speak italian, but it sounds good.

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-10-30 19:46:59

Mike Patton with Faith No More was awesome.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-10-31 04:10:40

Better than mike "the man" morris, that's for sure.

I LOVED this comment on the mondo cane vid page:

"I hate when people say mike patton is god... because he's good
but he's no mike patton."

I laughed my fucking ass off. Hard.

And more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yn4W_G9f 9o

Gayest song ever. And I still fucking love it!

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-10-31 04:11:49

At 10/31/11 04:10 AM, WallofYawn wrote: Better than mike "the man" morris, that's for sure.

I LOVED this comment on the mondo cane vid page:

"I hate when people say mike patton is god... because he's good
but he's no mike patton."

I laughed my fucking ass off. Hard.

And more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yn4W_G9f 9o

Gayest song ever. And I still fucking love it!

Song is be aggressive, btw; performance is at the download festival in donnington park UK.

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-10-31 19:11:37

There's a fan club for my favorite person in the music industry ever? HELL YEAH.

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-10-31 22:08:10

At 10/31/11 07:11 PM, OffBrandCola wrote: There's a fan club for my favorite person in the music industry ever? HELL YEAH.

Why the hell wouldn't there be? Hell, when I made this club, I was surprised there wasn't one already. Seems almost criminal.

And more:

Thomahawk - god hates a coward
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt856_nRx Qk

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-01 03:41:33

Hmm..i'm sensing that there's not enough Mr. Bungle in here. I'll fix that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8XYWZMHq pU

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-01 06:21:01

At 11/1/11 03:41 AM, OffBrandCola wrote: Hmm..i'm sensing that there's not enough Mr. Bungle in here. I'll fix that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8XYWZMHq pU

I second that, and on that note:

Everyone I went to high school with is dead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRdtU7ZjH lY

Complete with complementary lyrics thanks to yours truly:

Another summer rolls by
And I can't help but feel pain
All those familiar faces
Come back to haunt me again
Whether I hated their guts
Or hardly knew them at all
I always felt far away
Beside them there in the halls

My yearbook keeps me informed
My yearbook keeps me in line
Its an obituary
Gives me a concept of time
We've graduated and grown
From a real world once our own
Yet we have proven them wrong
By dropping off all along

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-01 21:58:24

I should have known about this thread a while ago.

I don't think many people are with me on this, but I think Stripsearch is the best Faith no More song ever.

At 1/30/11 08:24 PM, WallofYawn wrote: Agreed. I'm so glad FnM are back together. Who thinks mike should collaborate with les claypool? It'd be the greatest thing since sliced bread. :)

That would be cool.

I didn't know he did the score for Crank 2, but I knew about the voicework for I am Legend. It was already mentioned that he also did voices for the special zombies in Left 4 Dead, and he was the angry red ball thing at the end of Portal.

Also, Crank 2 sucks, though Crank is awesome.

I like your username, by the way. Everybody seems to prefer Holy Mountain or some other song from Holy Mountain, but my favorite Sleep song is Wall of Yawn.

At 2/11/11 09:00 PM, Frenzy wrote: Mike Patton is incredible. One of, if not my, favourite vocalist of all time. Mr. Bungle's "California" and Faith No More's 'Angel Dust" are two of my favourite albums of all time.

California is cool, but I think the best one was Disco Volante. My favorite song is Carry Stress in the Jaw. I haven't heard their early demos/eps, though. I heard they used to have a sort of death metal style.

At 7/24/11 09:45 AM, Tobi wrote: Other than doing narrating for The Darkness 2 and managing Ipecac, I'm getting vibes his next release will be with Fantomas.

That would be awesome. Fatnomas is insane.

At 10/30/11 04:50 PM, WallofYawn wrote: Yea, that was pretty badass.(the darkness voice over) Tho the game itself seems.... meh.

I think the Darkness gets a lot of undeserved hate. It's not one of the best games I've played, but it's cool.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-02 16:33:47

A lot of tracks on Mr. Bungle's self titled are redone versions of demo tracks. Personally, I think their older stuff is neat, but they're quite old, and the sound quality on all vers. I've found on the net are pretty poor. I think that's more due to the equipment they were recording with, tho.

The older tracks are ok, but nothing amazing, imo.(tho some tracks are cool) They're very amateurish, and they were done when they were all in high school together. But if you want to take a listen, here you go:

Mr. Bungle - "bungle grind" off the Raging Wrath of the Easterbunny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnZTonB1M jk

That one sounds kinda like chuck shuldiner vocal wise.

And another off the raging wrath of the easterbunny:

Mr. Bungle - "sudden death" RWOTEB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8HZ6baqe 0Q&feature=related

And some tracks off the Goddammit I love America demo:

Mr. Bungle - "carousel"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlVBiZika Hw

That song is pretty fucked up, but funny, lol.

and one more

Mr. bungle - "egg" off of GDILA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_1W2pc0b PQ&feature=related

The tracks Squeeze me macaroni, and carry stress in the jaw, were redone and put on their subsequent albums.

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-02 16:36:14

And one more for the hell of it:

OU818 demo tape:

Song is "slowly growing deaf"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGTHYdF8Z pY&feature=related

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-03 15:15:51

At 11/2/11 04:33 PM, WallofYawn wrote: Mr. Bungle - "bungle grind" off the Raging Wrath of the Easterbunny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnZTonB1M jk

Though I prefer their later stuff, I think the demos deserve more attention. Being a pretty big oldschool death metal fan, I've always held a special place for it in my heart. Kazoo and death/thrash probably shouldn't be put in the same sentence unless that sentence also contains Mr. Bungle.

My mom wanted to listen to listen to some Mike Patton stuff, seeing as my sister and I are big Patton fans. I showed her the Bungle track "Desert search for Techno Allah" and saw "gay muslim disco" in the suggestions bar. She then accused Patton of being a gay Muslim and ridiculed me for listening to him. Though I settled it out, it's still funny as hell.

BBS Signature

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-03 21:14:46

Yea, the dude was married to a hot italian actress, so that's pretty funny. He's also got native american blood in him.(thus his recent project, known as Thomahawk) And I don't know what religion he is, but I'm inclined to believe he's not very religious, although the song "the real thing" has some Buddhist sounding lyrics, imo.

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-04 09:58:18

Is this not the best song ever?

At 11/3/11 03:15 PM, Tobi wrote: She then accused Patton of being a gay Muslim and ridiculed me for listening to him.

because either of those are bad things. Your mom is one of those people living in the bronze age, eh? I remember messing around with a chick who once asked me what I think of Obama. I was careful in my response, but then she said "He's a Muslim" and I was like "yeah...well I...uh...huh". I wanted to keep hitting it, you see.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-04 11:02:13

At 11/4/11 09:58 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Is this not the best song ever?

At 11/3/11 03:15 PM, Tobi wrote: She then accused Patton of being a gay Muslim and ridiculed me for listening to him.
because either of those are bad things. Your mom is one of those people living in the bronze age, eh?

She doesn't really hate the two, as a few of her friends are gay, and is friends with a Muslim, she just doesn't want me to "convert". Because apparently listening to something based on lyrics and and song title is going to make you follow it's ideals. Either way, when it was all settled, she really liked the song. She was just in a bad mood at the time, is all.

So what do you guys think of Patton's vocal collabs in John Zorn's Naked City?

BBS Signature

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-04 14:54:38

At 11/4/11 11:02 AM, Tobi wrote:
At 11/4/11 09:58 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Is this not the best song ever?

because either of those are bad things. Your mom is one of those people living in the bronze age, eh?
She doesn't really hate the two, as a few of her friends are gay, and is friends with a Muslim, she just doesn't want me to "convert". Because apparently listening to something based on lyrics and and song title is going to make you follow it's ideals. Either way, when it was all settled, she really liked the song. She was just in a bad mood at the time, is all.

So what do you guys think of Patton's vocal collabs in John Zorn's Naked City?

Would your mom let you read the Koran then? Because I've read the thing, and I'm pretty sure I'm still an atheist. I think if you want to know anything about a belief system, you've got to study the material. What your mom doesn't realize is that the only person who can convert you is yourself. No song or book is ever going to affect you unless you think/lean that way. And I'm sorry, but even if you were to convert to Islam, if your mom couldn't accept or respect your choice, she's kind of a bigot. No offense.

And yea, john zorn is the shit. You can definitely see the influence he had on mike's music.(see: carry stress in the jaw, and you'll see what I mean) The two of them doing a collab together, is just plain epic.

Speaking of which:

Patton and Zorn - bridge to the beyond
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hOgs_7yg Lc&feature=related

That one is more of an instrumental, with some weird chanting near the end.

Patton and zorn - "the ballad of Hank Mccain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJGQ0OVFY NE

The rest of the vids I found were of poor sound quality. Such a shame. :(

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-05 19:42:35

Have any of y'all seen Rosemary's Baby? It's a pretty damn good movie. That Polanski pedo knows how to make movies. Chinatown was better, though.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-05 19:56:47

At 11/5/11 07:42 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Have any of y'all seen Rosemary's Baby? It's a pretty damn good movie. That Polanski pedo knows how to make movies. Chinatown was better, though.

Roman Polanski isn't a pedophile, and he's actually a pretty good film maker. His wife was also one of the victims in the Charles Manson murders, along with his unborn child, so you can't really talk shit about the guy. He's not only been through a lot in his life, but he's a very talented individual.

Response to Mike Patton Fanclub 2011-11-06 14:48:16

At 11/1/11 09:58 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: California is cool, but I think the best one was Disco Volante. My favorite song is Carry Stress in the Jaw. I haven't heard their early demos/eps, though. I heard they used to have a sort of death metal style.

Yeah they kind of did, I think. I like Carry Stress in the Jaw a lot- it's freaking insane, but in the best possible way.