Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2 weeks ago Reply

At 4/4/14 03:52 PM, TheDaemonicPoet wrote: Mastodon already have a name for their new album: "Once More Around the Sun". I am really looking forward to it, they seem to be in a creative rush these years.

Really looking forward to this. I thoroughly enjoyed their previous albums.

At 4/5/14 02:55 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Turns out Scott Kelly from Neurosis is featured yet again.

Well he HAS been on all of their albums since Leviathan. So it makes sense. He's more or less the 5th member of Mastodon at this point.

And they cut the album from 90 minutes to 60, and they just might use the cut 30 minutes for an EP.

I hope that they decide to do a deluxe edition that includes both the album AND the EP when the EP is released.

Also, the guy who did the artwork for their other albums isn't doing it. Instead, it's this guy, who apparently has done posters for several bands including Mastodon, as well as Melvins, Primus and Tomahawk.

After looking through the artwork that he's done I'm really looking forward to what this'll look like.
I also wouldn't mind getting one of those prints that are for sale. Specifically "Space Biker" since it looks fucking awesome.

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy

At 4/5/14 02:55 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Turns out Scott Kelly from Neurosis is featured yet again. And they cut the album from 90 minutes to 60, and they just might use the cut 30 minutes for an EP. Also, the guy who did the artwork for their other albums isn't doing it. Instead, it's this guy, who apparently has done posters for several bands including Mastodon, as well as Melvins, Primus and Tomahawk.

Greedy bitches!

I've looked at some of this guy's art and it looks pretty good. I really liked their Paul Romano's artworks though. I think it fits their style a lot. Let's hope that Mr. Skinner here can do them justice!

At 4/5/14 12:40 PM, Viper wrote: Well he HAS been on all of their albums since Leviathan. So it makes sense. He's more or less the 5th member of Mastodon at this point.

Like Sean Malone in Cynic...

But talking about Neurosis, what albums would you recommend the most?

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician

At 4/5/14 04:00 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: But talking about Neurosis, what albums would you recommend the most?

I'd recommend Through Silver In Blood, Times Of Grace, or Souls At Zero.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff

Also, from what I read, I'm not getting my hopes up that it will sound more like Crack the Skye.

At 4/5/14 04:00 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I've looked at some of this guy's art and it looks pretty good. I really liked their Paul Romano's artworks though. I think it fits their style a lot. Let's hope that Mr. Skinner here can do them justice!

I figure a lot of fans are probably kinda bummed by the news that he isn't doing it, but I think this guy will probably do a good job. I've seen a lot of posters for different bands that I thought could have been really good album covers. Never new the artists that did them, but I got a folder of really neat stuff that was done for a bunch of bands, mostly metal and stoner rock.

But talking about Neurosis, what albums would you recommend the most?

I've never listened to a whole album by them, but I've been wanting to get the Neurosis and Jarboe album. I loved what I heard from it.

At 4/5/14 12:40 PM, Viper wrote: Well he HAS been on all of their albums since Leviathan. So it makes sense. He's more or less the 5th member of Mastodon at this point.

Yeah, it was probably kind of a given.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy

At 4/5/14 04:40 PM, Viper wrote:
At 4/5/14 04:00 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: But talking about Neurosis, what albums would you recommend the most?

Thanks bro!

At 4/5/14 05:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Also, from what I read, I'm not getting my hopes up that it will sound more like Crack the Skye.

And what are you reading? Share with the class!

I figure a lot of fans are probably kinda bummed by the news that he isn't doing it, but I think this guy will probably do a good job. I've seen a lot of posters for different bands that I thought could have been really good album covers. Never new the artists that did them, but I got a folder of really neat stuff that was done for a bunch of bands, mostly metal and stoner rock.

Well, The Hunter's cover was not designed by Paul Romano, so I thought they had already parted way since then, and so that nobody was really expecting him to come back and do their next cover. Or maybe I missed some info?

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician

At 4/6/14 12:39 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 4/5/14 04:40 PM, Viper wrote:
Thanks bro!

No prob
Also. If you listen to Times Of Grace also listen to it with Grace by Tribes of Neurot because they're designed to be played simultaneously. Granted both Times of Grace and Grace can be played separately and give pretty much the same listening experience.

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 13 days ago Reply

R.I.P. Jason Mccash from The Gates of Slumber.
If anyone here hasn't heard of them I recommend giving them a listen. Pretty good American Doom Metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVMSh09QQ9g

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff

At 4/6/14 12:39 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: And what are you reading? Share with the class!

/r/metal, A.K.A Shreddit

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 54
Blank Slate

At 4/6/14 03:28 PM, Viper wrote: R.I.P. Jason Mccash from The Gates of Slumber.
If anyone here hasn't heard of them I recommend giving them a listen. Pretty good American Doom Metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVMSh09QQ9g

R.IP Jason McCash.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 10 days ago Reply

Jus Oborn did an interview with CVLT Nation recently. Here is a link if you're interested in reading it.

My favorite bits would be...

"Well, we have just completed our new LP. We worked on it solidly all last year and recorded it in October. I laid the vocals down in late November, then we finished up in Jan/Feb. It hasn’t got a title yet, but some song titles are ‘Time To Die,’ ‘Funeral Of Your Mind,’ ‘I am Nothing,’ ‘Sadiowitch’. It’s seriously fuckin’ heavy and dirty, but a departure from recent material production-wise…it’s more savage and distorted, but defined like the early Wizard.

We are gonna release it on our own imprint called Witchfinder Records, but it’ll be distributed worldwide, and properly this time. It’s gonna be pretty fuckin’ good actually, and reasonably priced, good quality and NOT limited. We wanna sell records, not create stupid eBay collectables.."

And

"What are Electric Wizard’s tour plans for 2014? Do you have any North American tour plans? Come to Vancouver, we have the best buds in the world!!

In Europe and the UK we are doing a bunch of festivals, then we will probably do a few select UK dates outside London. But yeah, a North American tour is planned for the end of the year and then maybe South America in the new year. Playing Canada is difficult..we hope to play there, but last time Mark & I were refused entry (eventually we went over another bridge in a taxi pretending to be tourists..haha)…but of course, bud is an important incentive."

I really hope that underlined part is happening. I've been wanting to see them live for quite awhile now.

BBS Signature
Decimating
Decimating
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 4 days ago Reply

About time I checked out this thread. \m/

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy

At 4/15/14 03:51 PM, Decimating wrote: About time I checked out this thread. \m/

It's been kind of slow recently, though. Which is kind of sad considering how much discussions we get on the general forum when we discuss metal bands...

Kylesa - Identity Defined
Decimating
Decimating
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Melancholy

At 4/15/14 04:13 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 4/15/14 03:51 PM, Decimating wrote: About time I checked out this thread. \m/
It's been kind of slow recently, though. Which is kind of sad considering how much discussions we get on the general forum when we discuss metal bands...

Kylesa - Identity Defined

Yeah. I quit going to General now, so I'll be in this club and others.

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 3 days ago Reply

New Mastodon track (ignore what the url says it's not a leak)
http://www.metalinjection.net/av/jam-the-leaked-new-mastodon-song-before-it-gets-taken-down

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff

At 4/16/14 05:05 PM, Viper wrote: New Mastodon track (ignore what the url says it's not a leak)
http://www.metalinjection.net/av/jam-the-leaked-new-mastodon-song-before-it-gets-taken-down

I like

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician

At 4/16/14 05:05 PM, Viper wrote: New Mastodon track (ignore what the url says it's not a leak)

These motherfuckers never lose their creative spirit. I'd just love to hear some agressive vocals Blood Mountain/Leviathan-esque.

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician
Response to Metal Hell 2 days ago Reply

Okay so the audio from that link was taken down so heres another link for the song.
It also includes the album art for the single's cover.
http://www.metalinjection.net/av/official-version-of-new-mastodon-song-high-road-posted

BBS Signature
Decimating
Decimating
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Melancholy

1337! I haven't listen to these guys in ages! \m/

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff

Sure beats the hell out of Curl of the Burl, as far as singles.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 54
Blank Slate

This is very good. Thanks for the link.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Metal Hell 1 day ago Reply

I watched the Yellow Sea, which was a really good and intense South Korean thriller by the director of the Chaser. Crazy movie.

And I watched Safe with Jason Statham, which I enjoyed more than I expected.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff

At 4/18/14 03:34 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched the Yellow Sea, which was a really good and intense South Korean thriller by the director of the Chaser. Crazy movie.

And I watched Safe with Jason Statham, which I enjoyed more than I expected.

Could have sworn to god I clicked on the cinema club.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician

At 4/17/14 08:37 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Sure beats the hell out of Curl of the Burl, as far as singles.

Yeah I gotta agree with that. And Curl of the Burl was one of my favorite songs off of The Hunter.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff

At 4/18/14 11:10 PM, Viper wrote: And Curl of the Burl was one of my favorite songs off of The Hunter.

eeeh

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Metal Hell 19 hours ago Reply

At 4/19/14 01:08 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 4/18/14 11:10 PM, Viper wrote: And Curl of the Burl was one of my favorite songs off of The Hunter.
eeeh

Don't hate on it. It is very pop, but it still holds a sexy Mastodon aesthetic and I like the stoner rock feeling of the track.

Also, what are the best albums of 2014 so far?

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature