00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

zombieplush just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Make Music With Garageband Properly

2,462 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Garageband. This program can be considered a "begginners" program or perhaps a "recording" program rather than a program for making music. I, however, consider it a "Creative" program. It can be used to make music at... a very different level. Many assume that it has limited features with barely any interface for making synths from scratch. Many abuse it and make music with the ever dreaded loop library, which is really there for lazy ass production guys who want to use non copyrighted music in their commercials or for grabbing easy to edit beats for songs.

HOWEVER, once you dig your dick deeper into this program, you will realize that its a bit sexier than you might have thought. This program has two very key features that make it just as good as fruity loops or many other programs out there. It can load in external and internal midi inputs and outputs along with support for thousands of VSTs, Plugins, and Audio Units. The great thing about the mac is that practically all of these great plugins are absolutely FREE. And hey, if your that much of a cheap ass, then just go and pirate Reason or something... or better yet pirate the plugins... besides I highly doubt that you won't be able to find a free version of whatever plugin your looking for. I have found nearly everything there is to be needed on this simple site. It has millions of thingymabogers for making music. Check it out.

Anyway, I recently have been using Garageband to make all of my songs. Garageband makes the import of VSTs (audio units) and Plugins flawless and easy to record. I can be really fucking creative with recording techniques. Right now, I am able to make whatever I want with just a few easy to use plugins that I dragged and dropped into my audio folder.

So yeah, Garageband is a fucking awesome host. Its like a bitchin fraternity guy throwing a party, inviting all the cool and awesome plugins to dance on the dance floor, get topless, bring beer, and make the party awesome.

Here is just one plugin I put into it.

Make Music With Garageband Properly

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2010-12-01 23:57:07

You know, I just built me a sexy ass hackintosh, and I've always wondered what the fuck for. But now I have reasons!

BBS Signature

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2010-12-02 00:12:26

How to make Garage Band Music:

1. Hit Power Button
2. Open Garage Band
3. Throw at least 100, but preferably over 9000 (!!!) loops into one song
4. Make a blog post about silly PC people
5. ????
6. PROFIT!

Such are the rules of Garage Band, such is the MOFUCKING LAW 'round these parts...

But here you are, putting in some damn step 7, trying to be all cool wit' yo fratboy plugins.

"OOOO look at me, I can haz makez genuinely good music on Garage Band."

Nonsense, what a terrible idea, the world, and myself, shalt surely shun thee.

-shun-

Naw, but furrealz, I didn't even know Garage Band even supported plugins... whoddathunk that you could actually make real music.

Don't mind me, I'm just some lingerer with a dry sense of humor and a big stick.

Check out my about.me profile - it's a work in progress

BBS Signature

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2010-12-02 08:50:21

And seriously guys, it is real easy to plug in... the plug ins!

Step 1: Download the plugin and locate it on your computer

Step 2: Go to Library -> Audio -> Plugins -> and drop the file into the "Components" folder if it has a .component extension or into the VST folder if it has a .VST extension.

Step 3: Open Garageband or restart it if it is already opened. Create a new layer and make the instrument the plugin you just installed.

Step 4: Open the editor and check out the plugin!

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2010-12-02 13:38:37

I've used Garageband to record and mix the demos for my band and it's a fairly competent easily accessible program for recording. However, for mastering I've found that to be it's greatest flaw. I have the 08' version, anyone know if there's been any leaps or improvements over the past design?

s

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2010-12-02 13:46:23

In short: Garageband can use plugins too

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2010-12-03 16:51:22

I really don't see the big problem with Garageband...

haha, most of my music came from it. Sure loops suck, don't use them. But the instruments are nice.

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2010-12-04 13:25:04

Garageband, properly?!?

Does not compute.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2010-12-06 10:21:20

Some of my coolest first songs were wade in garage band without loops. It's a lot more powerful than many people think- or care to figure out- but after switching to FL studio I was able to get a much higher quality sound with a larger array of synthesizers.

Is the newer garage band much better than it was back in 2005?

Oh also, since it's relevant, I have six audio submissions from 2008 made exclusively in GB if you guys want to compare notes-- pun intended. If anybody else has non loop GB music they should share their stuff, I'd be interested to hear it.

BBS Signature

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2010-12-07 03:41:42

If anybody else has non loop GB music they should share their stuff, I'd be interested to hear it.

I make all my music in Garageband, but all my stuff before 2009 is made with loops so stay clear of all that shit. >:C

The new version of Garageband is fantastic, and actually has some wonderful tutorials on how to play over 100 instruments. It is really cool. The sounds are all very high quality. Here is one I made by hand crafting some pads and stuff with Garageband and a plugin called Kore Player. Liiiiinnnkkk.

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2012-11-21 22:15:27

All of my songs were done on Garageband with absolutely no plug-ins... The later ones were pretty good I thought, but could obviously be better.

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2012-11-22 10:36:49

If anybody else has non loop GB music they should share their stuff, I'd be interested to hear it.

I also make all of my music in GB. It's the only DAW I've ever known. I'm glad someone of such mastery believes in GarageBand. It really can do a lot more than most people assume. You just gotta plow it hard!

However, for mastering I've found that to be it's greatest flaw.

Agreed.

BBS Signature

Response to Make Music With Garageband Properly 2012-11-24 12:43:09

At 11/22/12 10:08 AM, Remorph wrote: People who rip loops pissed me off so much for unoriginality. OMG THANK YOU! This works with Logic Express, right?

Why do people bump year old threads? Yes lol, it works with Logic and pretty much every DAW out there, minus the few who have their own packages like Reason.