00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NeonWolfNate just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I'm British, Not European

3,801 Views | 71 Replies

I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:23:19

Personally, I hate it when someone refers to me as a European. The way I see it, when someone talks about a 'European' I think they're referring to people from countries like Spain, France, German etc. But every now and again I see someone use the term 'European' when they are referring only to people from Britain.

Now I want to hear the views held by Newgrounds, but since you come from all over the globe I'm going to split it into several questions and you answer those which are applicable to you.

People from Britain:
- Do you consider yourself to be European?
- Does it bother you if you are referred to as a European?

People from 'Europe':
- Would you rather be known as a European, or named after your country? (e.g. German/French)
- Do you consider the British to be Europeans?

People from elsewhere:
- Do you consider/refer to the British as being European?
- Can people refer to you in a way that might annoy you? (e.g. calling a Canadian an American)

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:24:33

but england is in europe

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:25:45

At 11/29/10 03:24 PM, monkeyspanthisgooplz wrote: but england is in europe

I think Scots are offended when you call them English...

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:25:42

People from Britain:
- Do you consider yourself to be European?

Well not really, but then I barely consider myself British. I prefer to be known an English.

It used to maybe, but I can understand why we get referred to as Europeans. Even if (forgetting contients) we're more American than European.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:26:08

When you're in the bathroom European.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:26:17

At 11/29/10 03:23 PM, Dean wrote: People from 'Europe':
- Would you rather be known as a European, or named after your country? (e.g. German/French)

- Either one, doesn't really irk me one way or the other.
- Yes. You are a part of the Federation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain, and of the United Confederation of Europe. The Swiss, Norwegians and Icelanders are not.

Translator, time traveller, aerospace engineer, and voodoo priest extraordinaire.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:26:24

I'm Canadian, Not North American.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:27:24

Then people better start calling me Scandinavian.

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:28:04

At 11/29/10 03:26 PM, Spoopy wrote: I'm Canadian, Not North American.

Yes, you are. Technically speaking! Yes....why because Canada is apart of NORTH AMERICA! Get use to that fact!

Whats the difference? It's like asking which shade of the same color do you like and they are identical.

Thread killer and proud of it :)

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:29:18

At 11/29/10 03:27 PM, K2LU wrote: Then people better start calling me Scandinavian.

There is no political union of Scandinavian states, other than the common theme of the cross on the flags.

Translator, time traveller, aerospace engineer, and voodoo priest extraordinaire.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:29:56

by that logic, my last name is hughes, and hughes is a viking name, so therefore i can consider myself as viking.

durp

Iron man is a superhero

Iron woman is a command

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:30:16

At 11/29/10 03:23 PM, Dean wrote: People from elsewhere:

Yo.

They are, since England is in Europe. Same goes for every European country.

- Can people refer to you in a way that might annoy you? (e.g. calling a Canadian an American)

Well, I'm an American, so if they want to refer to me as a North American, then they can go for it.

While we're talking about European, how come Whites are not called European American, like Blacks are called African American?

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:30:23

At 11/29/10 03:28 PM, Mo-ni wrote: Yes, you are. Technically speaking! Yes....why because Canada is apart of NORTH AMERICA! Get use to that fact!

Whats the difference? It's like asking which shade of the same color do you like and they are identical.

The joke went right past you, didn't it?

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:30:55

At 11/29/10 03:23 PM, Dean wrote: The way I see it

..the blind man said.

Now I want to hear the views held by Newgrounds, but since you come from all over the globe I'm going to split it into several questions and you answer those which are applicable to you.

That's nice of you.

People from 'Europe':

Don't care, both r kewl.

Yes.

People from elsewhere:

Yes, because they are.

Yes, I'm called a Nazi often.

I'm not, by the way.

1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:31:30

At 11/29/10 03:29 PM, C-Hawk wrote:
At 11/29/10 03:27 PM, K2LU wrote: Then people better start calling me Scandinavian.
There is no political union of Scandinavian states, other than the common theme of the cross on the flags.

So... I'm not Scandinavian?

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:31:58

At 11/29/10 03:23 PM, Dean wrote: People from elsewhere:

Yes. Common usage says it is, and it's part of the EU. If I want to refer to Continental Europe, I'll say Continental Europe.

Yes. Maryland is part of the South, goddamnit. We're south of the Mason-Dixon line, we fit in with the rest of the South demographically, and we would've seceded if Lincoln hadn't pulled his fucking police-state shit on us.

wolf piss

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:32:01

I'm Polish and I like being called a European. Maybe it's cause I'm proud being from yurop and not some shitty place like asia or usa

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:32:14

It'd be better if you called people by their country. European is too general.

I'm not the one that can't pinpoint exactly where a country is. It's always good to learn, it's not good to mock people who TRY to learn.

The French Resistance: An oxymoron if ever there was one.

Ohai, its my DeviantArt and Youtube!

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:32:26

At 11/29/10 03:28 PM, Mo-ni wrote:
At 11/29/10 03:26 PM, Spoopy wrote: I'm Canadian, Not North American.
Yes, you are. Technically speaking! Yes....why because Canada is apart of NORTH AMERICA! Get use to that fact!

I was referring to the double standard in the OP's post. The island of Britain has been historically been considered a part of Europe. They are in the European Union - technically the UK would fall under the category of European in my eyes.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:32:29

At 11/29/10 03:25 PM, Wolfos wrote: I think Scots are offended when you call them English...

Just for the record folks, I'm not denying that Britain is a member of the European Union, but Wolfos has brought a good example to the table. Scottish nationalists tend not to refer to themselves as being British, despite the fact that Scotland is a part of Britain. I share this same viewpoint, only I consider myself to be British and don't so much like being called a European.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:33:06

At 11/29/10 03:30 PM, MiroDK wrote:
The joke went right past you, didn't it?

I thought I made it obvious?

Thread killer and proud of it :)

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:34:12

I just say im human

Cant go wrong there

"let's throw the babies into the air and catch them with our bayonets, whoever catches the most wins!"

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:34:36

At 11/29/10 03:32 PM, TacoFreak wrote: I'm Polish and I like being called a European. Maybe it's cause I'm proud being from yurop and not some shitty place like asia or usa

>Polish
>proud

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:34:40

If we're so European, why doesn't England use the Euro?

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:35:45

At 11/29/10 03:34 PM, Dromedary wrote: If we're so European, why doesn't England use the Euro?

Because we're not idiots.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:37:20

At 11/29/10 03:35 PM, Gagsy wrote:
At 11/29/10 03:34 PM, Dromedary wrote: If we're so European, why doesn't England use the Euro?
Because we're not idiots.

seconded. also the pound is worth more than the Euro, and it properly will always be that way.

Iron man is a superhero

Iron woman is a command

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:38:40

At 11/29/10 03:37 PM, elcriz000 wrote: seconded. also the pound is worth more than the Euro, and it properly will always be that way.

The pound is going down in value, Britains economic recession might not have been as bad if they would have also had the Euro.

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:40:04

I'm British, I dont think I will ever refer to myself as european.

Release your inner crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:40:17

Dean, you're Scottish, not British.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to I'm British, Not European 2010-11-29 15:40:51

At 11/29/10 03:38 PM, Wolfos wrote:

=

The pound is going down in value, Britains economic recession might not have been as bad if they would have also had the Euro.

I'm sure Ireland thought the same thing too before they joined the Rueo.

BBS Signature