00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiToDaAra just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your Favorite Video Game Settings

2,013 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2010-10-23 16:36:44

I've recently come to the realization that I don't really enjoy video games with real/realistic wartime settings all that much. Games like Call of Duty or Total War are, to me, stuffy and boring. I want to see zombies, space marines, magic spells, robots and aliens in my games, I want to use plasma rifles and mosterously huge swords endowed with elemental properties to vanquish my enemies. Maybe it's the nerd in me but it seems like I get enough wartime reality from the evening news and I'd much rather play games that have supernatural, science-fiction or fantasy elements in them.

What about you? Are there certain settings in which you prefer your video games take place? Are there settings that you don't like or don't feel comfortable playing?

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2010-10-23 16:45:56

I like these kind of darker fantasy settings. I just can't stand the overcolorful and cheery ones.

DA:O, The Witcher etc.

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2010-10-23 16:49:20

I'm personally a big fan of the forest and volcano settings. In the forest, the graphic artists spend hours a day putting fine details in every plant, bush, and tree. Hearing the local wildlife creates a sort of ambience so soothing (even though a chorus of crickets is so annoying in real life) that there's no need for any background music. Volcanos are just awesome. The respective chapters in Paper Mario and Resident Evil 5 that took place in a volcano were just so epic and reminded the player just how high the stakes were in their current situation. Why can't real volcanoes be that cool?

My least favorite setting is a canyon setting. Everywhere you look is an endless expanse of biege-brown earth with nothing interesting, and an almost empty feeling to take place of the "ambience".

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2010-10-23 16:49:59

I like happy, cartoony ones. If I wanted real life, I'd go outside or look up footage of the war in the Middle East. If I'm going to use an escapist form of entertainment, I'd rather escape to a happier place.

That's probably why the Mario games are so appealing to me.

Look at them...so happy. They don't have to worry about taxes, work, school, etc...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2010-10-23 16:54:34

I like a lot of colors and exaggeration for the most part

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2010-10-23 17:55:16

At 10/23/10 04:36 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: I'd much rather play games that have supernatural, science-fiction or fantasy elements in them.

You already said what settings I like in video games. I also like any environments that feel adventurous. Most of the places they had in the better Tomb Raider games are also settings I really like. As for war settings, I actually don't mind them and I can take them in reasonable dosages but there are other games I'd much rather play than Call of Duty or Medal of Honor.

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2010-10-23 17:56:34

I love World War 2. Particularly the Western Front and Africa, but I can enjoy Eastern Front too. Not a fan of the pacific.

In fact, I'd LOVE an Africa-centred WW2 game. That campaign in COD2 is probably my favourite part.

Western ranks highly, too. Probably my favourite part of Red Dead Redemption, elevating it from a decent game to probably my game of the year.

Steampunk could be fun too, but I haven't seen many games that use it. I suppose Bioshock SORT OF does, but it misses a lot of the Victorian influence being much set later on.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2010-10-23 18:34:08

There's not really a certain setting in specific I like, but I agree with you that fiction is more interesting. I enjoy snow levels, desert levels, and space. Either in the future or present.

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2010-10-23 19:49:25

On a stage in front of thousands of screaming fans.
About to bust open an awesome set.

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2010-10-23 21:42:52

I like forest settings with lots of trees and nice lighting.

BBS Signature

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2010-10-23 21:45:49

I find the most interesting parts in games where you go inside a person's mind, her conscious, and you see images, reflections and distortions of what actually goes through the mind of that character.

Old memories, distorted figures which are metaphors to what the character thinks, fears or loves. And sometimes you face these monsters, which would be the corruption that is infecting the mind of your companion.

Seriously, I just find these things amazing.

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2011-02-20 05:35:08

I prefer having my 3d settings to be set on High Performance with the amount of vram I've got which is 128 mb allocated from memory, On NV Inspector I have the LOD Bias set on Positive 3.000
On the compatibility settings I've set the games to run under older setting depending on which will start without a problem . Also using Process tamer to run everything in Low Priority.

Just so I can get as much high frame rates as possible... Graphics don't hold a major problem for me.

To show a example taken from Fraps the changes on Fallout 3 happen to be more appearent than compared to doom 3 on performance.

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2011-02-20 05:46:42

I appreciate most kinds of games but I don't really like games with excessive amounts of violence. I don't see why people are so hyped up about the God of War series. :/

I get an adrenaline rush whenever I play any of the games in the Touhou series. People really gives me goosebumps whenever you watch them play it and they just dodge through all of the enemy fire. :O

BBS Signature

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2011-02-20 05:54:54

At 2/20/11 05:46 AM, mutemaiden wrote: I appreciate most kinds of games but I don't really like games with excessive amounts of violence. I don't see why people are so hyped up about the God of War series. :/

I get an adrenaline rush whenever I play any of the games in the Touhou series. People really gives me goosebumps whenever you watch them play it and they just dodge through all of the enemy fire. :O

So you never get angry and stressed out everytime you loose a ship when you play it yourself?

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2011-02-20 06:00:19

At 2/20/11 05:54 AM, argile wrote: So you never get angry and stressed out everytime you loose a ship when you play it yourself?

Oh I get upset alright. But that's only because I lose a ship and I'm not even playing on the hardest difficulty... ;A;

BBS Signature

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2011-02-20 07:07:14

I really love Post-Apocalyptic settings. Especially in Fallout 1.

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2011-02-20 07:24:47

Fantasy kingdoms, cities and worlds like Mushroon Kingdom, Hyrule, Rapture and the world in Brutal Legend.

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2011-02-20 07:28:17

My favourite are fantasy and sci-fi settings - when and how is interchangeable, I'm not too picky. Dead Space, Portal, DA:O, it's all good. It's just meant to be something far away from reality, not some attempt to edit it into a video game - I'm not too much a fan of contemporary war games, either.

Response to Your Favorite Video Game Settings 2011-02-20 12:29:45

I like action game settings like the classic sidescrolling Contra games with futuristic and sci-fi kind of settings but that take place in the future of Earth (Half Life series is a good example too). Not these whole new and different universes with their own galaxies (although the Ratchet and Clank games are sweet).

I also love post apocalyptic settings especially zombie ones to be specific.

Some modern/realistic games are good though.