00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tdpreston just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut*

7,568 Views | 50 Replies

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-21 13:16:05

At 9/25/10 04:10 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: I have an even better solution

Back-up
Format
Reinstall

This. It's the only way to be sure you get everything malicious.

Also, this thread is pointless. Kids who get viruses just make their own topic crying COMPUTER HELP, VIRUS-HELP ME, etc. They don't come to this thread, and I doubt they ever will.

AND, just because you removed an infection from a machine with spyware removal tools, does not mean that every type of infection can be fixed these programs.
This thread is like saying "Here's a key.... it opens the locks on my house. You can use it to open the locks on your house."

От каждого по способностям, каждому по потребностям

BBS Signature

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-21 13:31:27

At 10/21/10 12:40 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:
At 10/19/10 10:31 AM, Sequenced wrote: After scanning with Microsoft security essentials, i only managed to find 3 viruses, which I cleared. I'm doing your method at the moment, fatkid, as my performance still seems a bit fishy.
Howd it work out Sequenced?

Excellent. It removed both viruses a couple days ago. Then I got a new one by accident last night ( objects infected: 149 rofl ) . Cleared all of them. Once I defragged my laggy, it started to work brand new.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-21 13:58:06

At 10/21/10 01:16 PM, XxRobJohnsonxX wrote:

Back-up
Format
Reinstall

Not true, there are many ways that dont include having to reinstall. REinstalling can come with problems such as failing hardrives, lost drivers, glitches, e.t.c. Getting rid of the problem using anti virus techniques is a lot faster as well.

Also, this thread is pointless. Kids who get viruses just make their own topic crying COMPUTER HELP, VIRUS-HELP ME, etc. They don't come to this thread, and I doubt they ever will.

So far i have fixed 4 peoples computers with this thread actually and have been receiving PMs e.t.c. It keeps getting bumped from people who have computer problems because there is a link in my sig and people seem to enjoy the tut. Its best to lower the amount of threads saying "Computer help etc" with the help from a 'main' thread. This isnt the BIG MAIN VIRUS THREAD, but its one of them, and so far has seemed to be successfully.

Quit yo whining.

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-21 14:07:50

I use Free Avast! and I haven't had a virus yet. Avast! has found many virus' for my bro though.

Quest for Glory!

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-21 17:20:25

When i start my computer there is only this:
Lsass.exe program error
Unable to start program correctly (0xc0000005). Click on ok to exit program .

It's a Translation from swe, btw so its brobably not right
(know i cant spellz fo shitz) but still !halp meh!
Please kind sir... Help me

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-21 21:52:47

At 10/21/10 01:58 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:

Back-up
Format
Reinstall
Not true, there are many ways that dont include having to reinstall. REinstalling can come with problems such as failing hardrives, lost drivers, glitches, e.t.c.

Your hard drive won't fail on you just by reformatting. Drivers lost? sure. Easy to get back? definitely.
glitches and etc? only if ur doin' it wrong.

Getting rid of the problem using anti virus techniques is a lot faster as well.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. If it takes you over an hour to reformat or repair/reinstall an os, ur doin' it wrong, or your machine is slow.
Also...
What happens when you run into registry errors?
Do the registry fairies come down and fix them for you?
Do you even know how avirus effects your pc, or how to remove it manually? Have you ever edited a registry? ...or do you just
wun da magic pwogwams dat make dem go away?

So far i have fixed 4 peoples computers...

In all reality, all you did was tell people how to obtain/use anti-spyware/malware software.
I'm happy for you, I really am...
Since this thread was created... 4 computers.... in one month? how impressive! You should start a business.

You are so quick to bash reformatting (like you know whats going on), but what happens when your shit is corrupted after the antivirus starts gutting the registry?

Example of Error messages:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.ce d
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
System hive error
Stop 0xc0000218 (0xe11a30e8, 0x00000000, 0x000000000, 0x00000000) UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR
Stop: 0xc0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\CorruptHive or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

What happens now?

Have fun playing hero in your thread, and "saving the day," kid.
I didn't mean to rain on your parade, but until you know what you are talking about, don't talk shit to someone who does.

BBS Signature

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-22 02:33:10

At 10/21/10 09:52 PM, XxRobJohnsonxX wrote:
At 10/21/10 01:58 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:

Back-up
Format
Reinstall
Not true, there are many ways that dont include having to reinstall. REinstalling can come with problems such as failing hardrives, lost drivers, glitches, e.t.c.
Your hard drive won't fail on you just by reformatting. Drivers lost? sure. Easy to get back? definitely.
glitches and etc? only if ur doin' it wrong.
Getting rid of the problem using anti virus techniques is a lot faster as well.
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. If it takes you over an hour to reformat or repair/reinstall an os, ur doin' it wrong, or your machine is slow.

It takes 30 minutes to scan with virus scanners. I do know what I am talking about, you are arguing over nothing. Both ways work well, but using virus removal techniques is something that is a lot quicker and more effecient. I have my own computer business and have fixed over 80 computers in the past 5 months that had multiple problems that ranged from odd glitches, such as gigantic random blocks appearing in the uninstall/install window list,to 600 virus loaded machines. Through my own personal experiences, I have found the easiest ways of getting rid of viruses. The general public seems to udnerstand how to use virus scanners a lot more than they know how to reformat a disc. Plus, in order to back up you need to buy an external drive. There can range from $40 and up. Scanning with these virus programs are FREE. Reformatting a disc can also come with glitches IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING, as you said. Many people DO NOT know what they are doing. I have had clients attempt to reformat and screw up their computer, installing things they shouldnt have. I have been able to fix these problems simply by finding the original disc the computer came with, however, and going through a process of reformatting that takes a few hours. A lot more tedious than scanning.

Also...

Easy, just instal registry fixing programs such as this, or restore your computer to a previous date. Spybot has a feature where it basically saves your computer before you get rid of viruses. This way, if your computer gets fucked up, you can restore it. Even if you cant restore it, there are many methods and programs available for download that you can use to get your normal settings back.

Do you even know how avirus effects your pc, or how to remove it manually? Have you ever edited a registry? ...or do you just

I have fixed many computers as I said before. I have had to manually edit registry keys in the past, since some viruses edited my registry keys to prevent safe mode form working, right clicking, and have even made my registry editor un accessible. I type din coding in a text document that went into the regedit without actually opening it, and gave me rights to edit registry keys. I would go into further detail about this, sine the virus would actually immediately take away the regedit rights, but i really don't feel like typing about that unless it is brought up.

In all reality, all you did was tell people how to obtain/use anti-spyware/malware software.
Since this thread was created... 4 computers.... in one month? how impressive! You should start a business.

I have my own business, I fix about 12 computers every week. I am not making any profit off of this thread, but am simply using it as a refrence for others who use google to search for their problems. I have always enjoyed threads that talk about a problem and fix it. Hopefully this can be the source. Even if it is 4, thats 4 less people with problems. Even if it was one I would be happy.

You are so quick to bash reformatting (like you know whats going on), but what happens when your shit is corrupted after the antivirus starts gutting the registry?

Restore or use 3rd party programs to get the registry keys back, as i said earlier. Plus, it is very rare that your computer will get fucked after deleting viruses. I have only have it happened once, and I simply went in and fixed the registry keys that were changed *and restored a file that was deleted I believe*

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.ce d
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
System hive error
Stop 0xc0000218 (0xe11a30e8, 0x00000000, 0x000000000, 0x00000000) UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR
Stop: 0xc0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\CorruptHive or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

What happens now?

I think its cute that you copied and pasted that after searching in google lmao. Getting rid of viruses will not have that happen, unless the virus literally tricks your scanner into deleting the important CONFIG files, which could happen but the virus would have to be specifically targeting the scanner. The virus could have that happen. If that does happen, put in yo disc and reformat of course. I am not bashing reformatting at all, it is a great function.

I didn't mean to rain on your parade, but until you know what you are talking about, don't talk shit to someone who does.

Im not playing hero. I am just helping people out. Instead of being an arrogant asshat, why not stop arguing over nothing. I was never bashing your reformatting. I also highly doubt you will actually read this response, because you probably don't care enough to even come back here.

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-22 02:55:44

Pretty neat tutorial you made there. I'll try it and see if it helps.

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-22 08:34:08

avg does thejob

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-22 08:47:52

Can you explain how to do this on my Mac?

Oh, wait.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-22 08:50:27

At 10/22/10 08:34 AM, mattuiop wrote: avg does thejob

Too true. In my opinion, it's all about personal preference as to what virus program you should use. I tried Microsoft Essentials thinking, hey, it was made by Microsoft, should be a good program. Wrong. It slowed my computer WAYYY too much, so I reverted back to AVG free edition, which is what I've been using steadily for over 3 years.

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-22 08:53:51

At 10/22/10 02:33 AM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: It takes 30 minutes to scan with virus scanners. I do know what I am talking about, you are arguing over nothing.

I'm defending reformat/repair. It is the ONLY way to undo everything a virus/malware has done to your machine, unless you examine every line of code executed by the virus.

Both ways work well, but using virus removal techniques is something that is a lot quicker and more effecient.

I'd say a guaranteed 100% chance of virus removal is pretty efficient. Such is the case with reformatting. As I said before, examine every line of code executed by the virus, and you can tell exactly what files are infected, or what lfunctions the infection process includes.

I have my own computer business and have fixed over 80 computers in the past 5 months that had multiple problems that ranged from odd glitches, such as gigantic random blocks appearing in the uninstall/install window list,to 600 virus loaded machines. Through my own personal experiences, I have found the easiest ways of getting rid of viruses. The general public seems to udnerstand how to use virus scanners a lot more than they know how to reformat a disc. Plus, in order to back up you need to buy an external drive.
There can range from $40 and up. Scanning with these virus programs are FREE.

LMAO you run a "computer service" but you don't know how to create a new partition on a HD? Tip: partitioning is also a free and easy process.

Reformatting a disc can also come with glitches IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING, as you said.
Many people DO NOT know what they are doing. I have had clients attempt to reformat and screw up their computer, installing things they shouldnt have. I have been able to fix these problems simply by finding the original disc the computer came with, however, and going through a process of reformatting that takes a few hours. A lot more tedious than scanning.

Tedious? With your method, you check 3+ times to make sure the viruses are "gone" and then only assume they are once they stop showing up? With reformatting, the recovery is 100% guaranteed, and the process for doing so is set in stone.

Also...
Easy, just instal registry fixing programs such as this, or restore your computer to a previous date.

Or use your windows cd to repair your current version of windows.... which involves the exact same amount of effort as a reinstallation... so you might as well just reinstall to be safe.

Spybot has a feature where it basically saves your computer before you get rid of viruses. This way, if your computer gets fucked up, you can restore it. Even if you cant restore it, there are many methods and programs available for download that you can use to get your normal settings back.

Or you can just insert your windows cd and choose repair, and if you are going that far, you might as well just partition and reformat.

I have fixed many computers as I said before. I have had to manually edit registry keys in the past, since some viruses edited my registry keys to prevent safe mode form working, right clicking, and have even made my registry editor un accessible. I type din coding in a text document that went into the regedit without actually opening it, and gave me rights to edit registry keys. I would go into further detail about this, sine the virus would actually immediately take away the regedit rights, but i really don't feel like typing about that unless it is brought up.

I have my own business, I fix about 12 computers every week. I am not making any profit off of this thread, but am simply using it as a refrence for others who use google to search for their problems. I have always enjoyed threads that talk about a problem and fix it. Hopefully this can be the source. Even if it is 4, thats 4 less people with problems. Even if it was one I would be happy.

Restore or use 3rd party programs to get the registry keys back,

LOL!

as i said earlier. Plus, it is very rare that your computer will get fucked after deleting viruses.

LOL!

I have only have it happened once, and I simply went in and fixed the registry keys that were changed *and restored a file that was deleted I believe*
System hive error

What happens now?
I think its cute that you copied and pasted that after searching in google lmao.

I was just getting a specific example of a corrupted registry hive.
It's not like I have that kind of shit memorized.

Getting rid of viruses will not have that happen, unless the virus literally tricks your scanner into deleting the important CONFIG files, which could happen but the virus would have to be specifically targeting the scanner.

Wrong. Most times a particularly malicious virus will infect files that are vital to your system. If you quarantine/delete them, your system malfunctions. If you leave them alone, the virus will replicate.
Unless you are dealing with "baby's first virus, " your vital system files are going to get infected.

The virus could have that happen. If that does happen, put in yo disc and reformat of course. I am not bashing reformatting at all, it is a great function.
Im not playing hero. I am just helping people out. Instead of being an arrogant asshat, why not stop arguing over nothing. I was never bashing your reformatting. I also highly doubt you will actually read this response, because you probably don't care enough to even come back here.

lol no, I do care. I'm still pretty convinced that you have no idea what you are talking about. You go off on a crusade to hunt down viruses for each pc you try and fix, when you can just do the sure thing and get a clean slate. Who knows how many files/registry entries/lines of code/ are still left floating around on the machines you've "repaired." If you really knew what you were doing, you would be reformatting infected machines.

BBS Signature

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-22 11:27:23

Nedds to be pinned somewhere. Unfortunately lacks of stuff.

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-22 19:42:25

Im not sure why you said Lol to using 3rd party programs to restore your registry keys, and I am not sure why you continue arguing with me. I am not going to try and prove myself to you because honestly I don't care if you think I don't know what I am talking about. ALl I know is that from trial and error, getting rid of viruses using virus scanning, registry editing, and immunizing techniques is the best thing to do, personally. I understand that on your personal preferences, you would rather reformat, and there is nothing wrong with that. The effects that viruses leave on a machine can vary largely, but usually are small enough to not worry about. You said I do not know how to create a partition, when that is simply not true. I know how to reformat, create a partition, and have done it multiple times in order to learn more about them. I have researched specific viruses and have also learned more about them, learning where they hide in your machine, what they change, and how to get them out. A prime example is a nasty virus called "Virtumonde" that can really screw with your machine. It can do a lot of things, and reformatting is usually the best thing to do in that situation. Usually I try to avoid reformatting, because I have to deal with a lot of old computers, 3 years old laptop+ is where things start getting buggy.

So instead of continuing to argue over personal preferences and try to convince one single person that I know what i am talking about, I am going to stop this discussion so that the thread can switch its focus back to what is important.

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-22 20:38:52

I've had both Spybot and MalwareBytes miss stuff before.

Hitman Pro sorted it when they failed.

Only ever happened once, though. MalwareBytes is good enough 99% of the time.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-10-22 20:46:31

At 10/22/10 07:42 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Im not sure why you said Lol to using 3rd party programs to restore your registry keys,

If you want to repair your registry, It's always best to use your windows install cd. Boot from CD and use the recovery console (WinXP) or System Recovery Options (Vista/Win7) .

and I am not sure why you continue arguing with me. I am not going to try and prove myself to you because honestly I don't care if you think I don't know what I am talking about. ALl I know is that from trial and error, getting rid of viruses using virus scanning, registry editing, and immunizing techniques is the best thing to do, personally. I understand that on your personal preferences, you would rather reformat, and there is nothing wrong with that. The effects that viruses leave on a machine can vary largely, but usually are small enough to not worry about. You said I do not know how to create a partition, when that is simply not true. I know how to reformat, create a partition, and have done it multiple times in order to learn more about them.

Why, then would you claim that you need an external hard drive to back-up/reformat, and then go on about costs of one? That's the only reason I accused you of such.

I have researched specific viruses and have also learned more about them, learning where they hide in your machine, what they change, and how to get them out. A prime example is a nasty virus called "Virtumonde" that can really screw with your machine. It can do a lot of things, and reformatting is usually the best thing to do in that situation. Usually I try to avoid reformatting, because I have to deal with a lot of old computers, 3 years old laptop+ is where things start getting buggy.

So instead of continuing to argue over personal preferences and try to convince one single person that I know what i am talking about, I am going to stop this discussion so that the thread can switch its focus back to what is important.

fair enough, like I said earlier, I don't want to rain on your parade... I just want you to
"Recognize" so to speak.

BBS Signature

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-11-01 14:10:46

At 10/22/10 08:34 AM, mattuiop wrote: avg does thejob

Pfft. AVG. I installed AVG on my old laptop and it broke just after the installation. And I mean REALLY broke. I had to replace it. Coincidence? I think not.

Teh Liamiuses' Members: ogrillon liamius rouhr (leader), OgRi10n LIAmiUuS OOrgH!!1!"2 (siNgER!!1"!), Ogrillon Neek (Musical Technician) - Guess who wrote each post...

BBS Signature

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-11-01 14:56:29

I have faith in God, he will protect me from viruses, I will not need any virus-scanners.

PFFT atheist noobs.

Tick Tock

BBS Signature

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-11-01 16:28:16

At 11/1/10 02:56 PM, Admiral wrote: I have faith in God, he will protect me from viruses, I will not need any virus-scanners.

So, there is a computer God? Who would have known...

lel

BBS Signature

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-11-02 20:38:12

At 10/22/10 07:58 PM, Crayzorder wrote: If your trying to catch a virus, you probably should be using a anti-virus program.

You realize Spybot/Malwarebytes are for surprisingly, spyware and malware?

Actually, they have been adapted to detect viruses just as well! I have caught A LOT of worms from them. :)

Response to How To Get Rid Of Viruses *tut* 2010-12-20 12:05:03

At 11/1/10 04:28 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 11/1/10 02:56 PM, Admiral wrote: I have faith in God, he will protect me from viruses, I will not need any virus-scanners.
So, there is a computer God? Who would have known...

Tron