00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

etheriusnachoo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Contamino 2010-06-28 13:17:54

[Chapter select]

So, for an English project (it was an independent project. That is, we got to chose what we got to do and I did this because I'm crazy) I wrote a novel in 30 days with a word count goal of of 40,000 words. Well, I reached my goal and finished the novel and well, I'd like to get some feedback on it.

I'm pretty proud of the way that it came out, so I decided to post it up. What I'm going to be posting is the edited version, so it's not the raw material. I didn't want to "publish" writing that was done in a rush. For now, I'll just post chapter one, but if I do decide to post the rest of it, it'll be spaced out be periods of time or some other sort of wall of text resistant strategy (if that's possible).

Now, I know that there are a lot of funky sentence structures and run-on sentences. Know that those are purposeful, but also let me know if you think I should make them more conventional.

Also, I love constructive criticism.

And yes, disconcertment is a word. Proof (under the related terms) :]

Chapter 1: "Sunset" - Part 1 of 4

The eyes of a traitor were wide with disconcertment as the South Sector of the Utopian City released its torrents of wind and rain. There was a letter, a simple letter in a white envelope, left taped to the door, soggy and so distressingly plain. And those eyes, those condemned eyes, dyed red and displayed for all of the world to shun, sensed the danger in the simplicity of the thing. It was not a red envelope, not a government seal, not official mail delivered to a house with mandated intolerance for such deliveries. He dragged his feet up the steps that creaked underneath him and tore the paper from its adhesive, wondering if anyone else had seen it, wondering if anyone had reported him for unauthorized communications.

It was damp in his hands, damp but not soaked, white but not right, tempting but discouraging, all at the same time. But the traitor ruffled through a cluster of story concepts and other musings written on wrinkled napkins and pieces of cardboard that he had deposited on a table. He moved them aside, careful not to allow the beads of rain to deface them, and placed the letter in the newly created empty space on his front hallway's wooden depository of clutter. Exhausted, there was no mind given to the puddles that he carried up his steps, only a halfhearted attempt to blot the envelope's white drabness out of his mind. Up, step by step, through the halls, into a musty room, onto a bed in his day clothes he went. When will this day end, he asked himself, why can't I close my eyes and make this day end at last? The only feeling that hung suspended in that room was paranoia, a suspicious fear from a desperate, fallen hero who had lost his powers. If only he could ceases to find meaning in everything, if only he was ignorant, if only he was huddling in the dark with the rest of society, then maybe he could consider himself at rest, then maybe he could find peace of mind...

The world finally went dark for Sol Zukof and sleep came, dreamless at first. It was pleasant and his subconscious reveled in the silence. But, like so many of his other perturbing nights, the images came at last.

The earth, caked in a layer of dust. Or, maybe it's debris. No, it's ash. Ash, black and brown and tan and filthy. Everything found itself caked in it, caked in the residue of burning wood, burning trash, burning gasoline and burning flesh. And then there were the winds, the winds blowing - no, whipping - pieces of singed wood and car parts and sheetrock and fragments of bone that had lost their marrow. The sound of it was a deafening roar of white noise that consumed the ears of all that were still conscious and alive, even those that could almost drown out everything with their own screams of agony. Their voices were just not loud enough. Sol could almost feel his body; he could almost feel the lacerations from the jetting pieces of shattered civilization. It was, however, so distant that he couldn't comprehend it. It was as though his mind was canceling it out, interrupting it, trying to protect him.

The sky was red, red with blood or wine or paint or perhaps just red. It was almost intimidating, but at the same time, it seemed fitting. There was movement in it, the movement of clouds and thunder, and it was all different shades of the same saturated red. That light filtered down and created a crimson ambiance.

Sol stood motionless, watching the events unfold in front of him. People were running. Some of them were aflame, others singed, others seemingly unharmed, but they were all fleeing from something. What were they afraid of and where were they going? Nothing was in enough focus. Everything was blurred, blurred as though the blaring heat was bending the images before him, warping them into obscurity. And then there was light, blinding light, painful light.

"Get out of here," screamed the woman in the black trench coat, the one that had always made the sidewalk her home, "We have to get out!" She was crying, tears streaking down her face in rivers that seemed to bore canyons in her flesh. With hands charred and bleeding, she grabbed hold of Sol's wrists, pulling him and leading him away, but he pushed her aside. Several splotches of blood flung from her arms as she tripped backwards, staring wide-eyed in her delirium. The fluid began to evaporate into droplets before it had even touched the ground and it billowed, sick and surreal, up into the air. The blood on his hands, the blood on her hands and the blood from all around was swept up and twisted, swirled around them.

He ran forwards and at last realized: it was the sun, the exploding sun, and it was nearing home. These people, these terrified people without tact or skill, were all running in vain from a star that was expanding with a power far greater than their own, their efforts extending their lives by mere hours - or perhaps minutes - before they would be inevitably consumed. But despite all of the chaos, the pain and the unbearable heat, the only coherent thought in Sol's mind was the seemingly illogical desire to immerse himself in the light of such a beast. He longed, yearned for it; he needed it.

Sol moved forward, step by agonizing step. The debris and ash and shrapnel and car parts and pieces of human bone that rode upon the wind ripped at his flesh, sending trickles of blood downward with gravity. With every footfall, every forward motion, the winds strengthened themselves and whipped at him, leaving him staggering. One gust thrust him twisting and tumbling into the crumbling cement of the nation's oldest pharmacy. There were white spots in his eyes, then a concussion, then a broken something, but he persisted. He scratched at the ground, grappled for handholds and gritted his teeth against the debris that eroded him.

Then, all of his determination disintegrated. A woman, tall and ebony, phased into view through the ash clouds. His mother was kneeling, bleeding, sobbing. In a hoarse voice she cried out, "Son, come back, come back son." But the traitor turned his head and continued onwards with a drive of desperate dejection. His skin was wearing raw from the ash and the heat, almost as though it was melting away as he dragged his broken form towards the sun. The light, all he wanted was the light, and he refuse to believe the sight behind him of his mother dying on the ground, calling for him to return. Because, all he knew in that moment was that forwards was illuminated, and backwards was a doomed and perpetual darkness that sickened him to his core.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Contamino 2010-06-28 13:19:16

Chapter 1: "Sunset" - Part 2 of 4

All it took was one last blast of air to send the man into a tumult of motion, ripped from his position and flying back towards where he had once stood - and beyond. It happened as though the trip had split life into frames. Light, dark, fire, ashes, ruins, blackness, utter pitch darkness. He couldn't see; his eyes were dead; his brain was dying. Blood seeping from his shattered skull, flames snaked their way onto his clothes and then onto his skin. And through all of his suffering, in his last moment of life, only one semblance of a thought could be taken from his consciousness: I have failed.

Sol's body jerked as though it had been struck with a fist, one of pure emotion. Trembling, sweating, he tried without success to make sense of what he had just been witness to. It was something he couldn't conceive, a sequence of sights and sounds and noises and feelings and lust that made no comprehensible sense to him. But despite all of his confusions, the man had a premonition that it would all make sense in time...

And then he realized that something was wrong. There were lights above his half-opened eyes, moving passed him slowly, or quickly, or slowly; he couldn't tell. There was the squeak of wheels and the smell of rubbing alcohol and movement and men in surgical masks and something rotten, like old and noxious dried blood. He tried to blink, but found his eyelids frozen in their places. Instinctively, panic rose inside of him as his mind juxtaposed his fragmented and delirious observations. It was a gurney, pushed forward through a hallway, and he was a man that couldn't move. Even as bursts of adrenaline fired and fired again, not a single muscle was available for his use. It was all there, all in tact, all in its place, but so useless and so frozen.

It wasn't a hospital; no, it couldn't be. The Agency for National Security had revoked his access to medical care, and furthermore this was no home for healing. This was someplace else, somewhere wherein the employees never bothered to scrub the rotting blood from the floors.

The caravan of black market doctors and their paralyzed patient crashed through double doors that had begun to rust. In sharp contrast with the state of the hallway, a biting odor of antiseptic hit Sol's nose as his gurney skidded to a halt under a myriad of miscellaneously sized surgical lights. Then, two pairs of hands clad in surgical gloves rolled him onto his front.

Next, there was arguing. There was some gab about anesthesia and a needle pushed into his leg alongside a distracted, "Good, he doesn't seem to feel it. The anesthesia is working." The spoke with medical terminology while they mispronounced medical terminology; the time is 23:54; it seems we're out of needles; I'll go get some needles.It all seemed so distant to Sol whilst he lay immobile yet listening. They juggled tools; I think we may have forgotten to knock him out; no, I administered the dosage fifteen minutes ago; you're sure that this drug will be effective, even given his alterations; yes, I'm certain, let's get this done before the anesthetic wears off; hand me the chip; open him up first; I will, once you hand me the chip. And then everything seemed to blur into a blend of shock and delirium. Sol couldn't feel, but he was very much awake and he knew, he knew, that this was danger without a doubt. With all of his strength and with parallel futility, he struggled against the bonds of his paralysis, but all he managed was sweat and tachycardia. This detail didn't slip by the doctors. They looked up from their surgery and expressed concern to one another, but the consensus was to continue as planned. "There's no going back now," they said.

In seconds, Sol saw blood trickling down onto the bedding beside him. Someone mop up this blood, I can't see; I'll be there in a second; be careful, don't nick the spinal nerves; I know what I'm doing; you better. Nurses, or what Sol took to be nurses, hissed to each other in whispered Russian and pointed this way and that, but he couldn't discern what they were saying. He then noticed a statuesque figure out of the corner of his eye. The man, with his blue suit, had skin that seemed to be void of all color. It was like that of a vampire or a zombie, except he was very much still alive and entirely human. Although the man's hat shielded his eyes from view, Sol was unjustifiably certain that those eyes were piercing through him from underneath that brim. Sol felt as though the man knew that he was still awake, but didn't say a word. He had that air, that omniscient air, which transcended physics.

And then it was all over. Stitch him up; is the chip functioning; it appears so; are you sure; yes, I'm sure; how can you be; because I'm not a fool of a surgeon. "It's working," echoed from the paled lips under that hat, "I can sense it pulsing. Now leave."

One of the attendants cried out, "Why?"

"Because there is something I need to take care of, alone."

"But -"

"Alone."

The doctors left with grumbles, scoffing something about authority and hypocrisy, and the man walked with a stealthy grace over to the anesthetized patient. "I know that you can hear me," he said, causing Sol to take a breath of sharp concern. "You are delirious, but listen. Those men, those feign doctors, are fastidious bastards. They're so anal and routine that they lose grip of logic. It may be true that they're no fools of surgeons, but they are maladroit decision makers and I won't have any of it." His voice was so soft in contrast to his bitterness, but at the same time, there was vindictiveness to his tone that seemed to demand attention. "They want you more than anything to forget this night, but I do not. I will make sure," he whispered, extending a slender hand to grasp a scalpel from the tray, "that you remember everything." Sol watched with a new kind of terror as his gown was lifted to expose his back. There was something wrong, something sadistically horrifying about this man. The observer turned Sol's head to the side so that he could see the scalpel hovering over his body. And then it happened, and although there was no physical pain, or at least none that he could feel, he saw the knife cut into his flesh. He tried to tremble, to shake, to struggle, but the paralytic had done its work without lapse, leaving him hopelessly helpless. This was no medical procedure; the man was drawing. Stroke by stroke, the wounds appeared and there was no attention paid to the blood that coated the canvas. The man knew what he was doing; he had done this before. Sol wondered how many times. How many times had this deviation of an authority figure taken advantage of the paralyzed, the defenseless victims of someone else's crime? Was he a regular visitor in this makeshift surgery, and did the doctors know what he was implying when he told them he had something to take care of? And Sol tried to discern whether there would be just one flesh drawing, or whether his entire body would become a mural. Nevertheless, despite his experienced movements, the man was meticulous. It was always little strokes, ripping centimeter by centimeter to insure that this was something perfect. When the man had finished, once he had put down his scalpel and raised Sol's head to display his work, the sight struck Sol with an even more powerful emotional assault than ever.

It was a dexterously symmetrical image of a sun, carved into his skin, still bleeding.

"You're one step closer to living in the light, again," the man said.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Contamino 2010-06-28 13:21:22

(Yeah, there are actually only three parts. Oops. Math fail.)

Chapter 1: "Sunset" - Part 3 of 3

And with that, he left the room without another word, sending the doctors back to finish their jobs. After that point, nothing in the exterior world made any coherent sense to Sol as he was whisked from place to place in a blur of confusion and emotional turmoil. He was experiencing an internal hurricane. The dream was a coincidence, he told himself, just a simple coincidence. But, he couldn't shake the feeling that the man in the blue suit wasn't just a sadist as he returned to his adamant proposition that he would soon understand his dreams. Perhaps it was a subconscious recognition of some external symbol, perhaps it was a premonition, or maybe his mind knew something that he didn't. All he knew for certain was that the man had placed a disturbing emphasis on the word again as though he was giving some sort of snide and elitist deprecation. These people knew of his past and seemed to be determined to drag him back into it.

Eventually, Sol realized that he was back to his home, carried through the back door by those same men in falsified uniforms. By the time he began to feel again, he had fallen into a deep yet dark and dreamless sleep, one without a single sun.

It was frigid in the morning; he had forgotten to turn the heat on the night before. Why had he forgotten? It's not something he would usually do. Maybe it had been a long day at work; maybe his body had fallen asleep without his consent. Nevertheless, he ought not do it again.

It took him several minutes of lying awake in bed before the reality of the pain set in and he at last recognized how unusually delirious he was. He shouldn't feel this way, and he shouldn't hurt this way. What had happened? His back felt as though an animal had torn it to shreds. Perhaps he had done it to himself during the night; it had happened before. He stood up and moved towards the mirror, twisting his head in the proper direction.

And then it all came back to him in a disorienting flash. The grimy hallway, the gurney, the feign doctors, scalpels and chips, the blood on the bedding, blue suits, eyes he couldn't see, spinal cords and brains stems, sadism, mutilation and suns. It looked as though it was a tribal insignia and very well might have been for all he knew. Thinking of the past night left him disoriented and attempting to convince himself against all odds that it was just a dream. If it had been nothing but hallucinations and electrical impulses, than nothing would have to change, nothing in his life would have been in jeopardy. Every emotion and every instinct that he had tried to store away for all of these years wouldn't have been dragged out of their hibernation. But despite his longings, it was impossible. The burning yet delicate lines of scarring crimson on his back and the vivid memories that something inside of him wouldn't let him suppress were too much to overcome.

At the tail end of an internal defeat, Sol turned from the mirror and pulled on the clothes that were the most readily available to him. He stumbled down his stairs, feeling utterly numb throughout every square inch of his body - except for his back - and wishing he could fall back asleep without running the risk of any other dreams. As he took the final step, he noticed the thermostat, but decided against it, realizing that the cold no longer seemed to bother him. Any distraction or discomfort other than his wounds and his memory came as a blessing.

His circumstances, however, would not discharge him. The letter, the plain white envelope that had been the start of that wretched night, was still sitting in its nest of story concepts and litter. The dampness had evaporated and left it wrinkled but intact. Sol took it up, his hands working autonomously from his mind, and lifted the seal.

A small slip of paper fell out into his palm. In scratchy handwriting, it read, "Enter the light. You have three days."

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature