00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hirimi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2010 Fifa World Cup Thread

125,360 Views | 2,892 Replies

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:14:58

If I were asked to back any one of the bids for the future World Cups, I'd probably go with Holland-Belgium myself, though Australia would also be interesting if I'm talking opening the game up in different territories like with Qatar, as hard as it would be for me to catch the games on TV.

It's funny that you should bring the Beijing olympics up. I heard that just after the games, China were considering making a World Cup bid, but nothing came of it.

Back to the game, Germany seem so tired and fed up now. It's true that they've had more than their fair share of chances to equalise, but Serbia have missed so many open shots to extend their lead, especially strange when you consider the somewhat 'cowardly' style of play, as someone brought up.

But it's not over yet, one minute to go, add injury time...

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:16:27

A German missing a penalty?

Gives everyone a bit of hope there.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:18:18

Game's not quite over yet but I doubt anything will happen. At least it will dampen the enthusiasm of all those who said "Germany will win the WC", etc.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:20:39

Final score: Serbia 1, Germany 0.

IMPROMPTU DRINKING GAME:

A shot every time the pundits say 'referee'.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:22:19

FT! Finally.

I hope Ghana will win it's match so they aren't as motivated against Germany in the last match of the group phase.

But on the other hand I remember a EC where Germany lost 3-0 against a portuguese B team... -_-

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:22:50

Serbia won. Now that was unexpected. Sure makes group D a lot more exciting.

I wonder which team is getting favorited by the bookies now. Argentina perhaps?

At 6/18/10 09:14 AM, Scarab wrote: If I were asked to back any one of the bids for the future World Cups, I'd probably go with Holland-Belgium myself, though Australia would also be interesting if I'm talking opening the game up in different territories like with Qatar, as hard as it would be for me to catch the games on TV.

I believe Qatar is only bidding for 2022. Holland and Belgium are bidding for 2018 and 2022, so both countries could get a WC soon.

Holland-Belgium aren't gonna have stadiums nearly as awesome as Qatar's might become though. Nothing new is gonna be built, they're only going to expand older stadiums to meet the requirements of 40,000 seats.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:23:58

At 6/18/10 09:16 AM, Gagsy wrote: A German missing a penalty?

To be fair Podolski is Polish...

Great result for Serbia and the group- anything could happen now! If Ghana win tomorrow then Germany may be in real danger- imagine in the last games Serbia beating the Aussies (not inconceivable)- Germany would HAVE to beat Ghana to go through, while Ghana would only need a draw. Talk about a turnaround after all this talk of Germany being hot favourites to win the tournament!

Plus Serbia winning the world cup is much more likely now than it was before kick off (admittedly not saying much...)- my pound investment may not have gone to waste yet!

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:31:16

At 6/18/10 09:23 AM, Sentio wrote:

No, he isn't. Or how could he play in the german national team?

Yes, he was born in Poland, but moved to Germany at the age of 2. He has dual citizenship, but decided to play for Germany as the polish national team never seemed to be interested in him. So that makes him a german in my books.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:36:03

At 6/18/10 09:23 AM, Sentio wrote: To be fair Podolski is Polish...

The Germans have an odd team.

Cacau was a Brazilian, Ozil is half Turkish, Klose is Polish, Gomez is half Spanish, Khedira is half Tunisian, Marin is a Yugoslavian, Trochowski is Polish, Boateng is half Gahanian, Tasci is Turkish etc..

And then there was once Kuranyi who was a quarter German, a quarter Brazilian, a quarter Polish and a quarter Turkish or something like that.

In a way it's quite ridiculous that the Fifa allows this. International football is starting to look like ordinary club football.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:38:24

Appearently, my 77 year old grandma is a huge fan of football and tries to watch every single world cup.

She was appalled when Germany lost against Serbia >=[

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:40:18

At 6/18/10 09:31 AM, Haggard wrote:

No, he isn't. Or how could he play in the german national team?

Yes, he was born in Poland, but moved to Germany at the age of 2. He has dual citizenship, but decided to play for Germany as the polish national team never seemed to be interested in him. So that makes him a german in my books.

Born in Poland to two Polish parents- that sounds pretty damn Polish to me. Sure he is playing for Germany, and I have nothing against that as he has lived there most his life, but even he says that he has Polish blood.

It is interesting how many German players have duel nationality or parents of a different nationality, though they are all eligible of course. Just like the English cricket team being mostly South African I guess.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:44:03

At 6/18/10 09:36 AM, Auz wrote: In a way it's quite ridiculous that the Fifa allows this. International football is starting to look like ordinary club football.

Meh, it has always been this way and the german team reflects the population of Germany very well. Germany IS a country of immigration after all (also, I myself have polish ancestors ;) ).
Also, Özil is the FIRST player with a turkish family background that decided to play for Germany. For example both Altintop brothers could've played for Germany as well but they decided to play for Turkey instead.

And Klose has a german father, Özil was born in Germany, Cacau has a german passport, Trochowski lives in germany since he is 5... I don't see why those players shouldn't play for Germany.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 09:55:12

Goddamnit Rob. As an England fan you should be looking at that miss as some tiny victory.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:00:02

At 6/18/10 09:44 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 6/18/10 09:36 AM, Auz wrote: In a way it's quite ridiculous that the Fifa allows this. International football is starting to look like ordinary club football.
Meh, it has always been this way and the german team reflects the population of Germany very well. Germany IS a country of immigration after all (also, I myself have polish ancestors ;) ).
Also, Özil is the FIRST player with a turkish family background that decided to play for Germany. For example both Altintop brothers could've played for Germany as well but they decided to play for Turkey instead.

And Klose has a german father, Özil was born in Germany, Cacau has a german passport, Trochowski lives in germany since he is 5... I don't see why those players shouldn't play for Germany.

Well I don't have much of a problem with players that are born in Germany or have German parents. But you can wonder whether players like Cacau, Podolski and Trochowski who were not born there and don't have parents in Germany should be allowed to play for the German national team.

I'm not only blaming Germany here though. I know loads of countries (including Holland) naturalize players so that they can play for their country. Like I said, it starts to look like clubfootball this way. "Just give that guy a passport and he can play for us". It just undermines the whole point of national teams and world cups.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:00:07

Good, they didn't fuck up our national anthem this time. I attribute conceding that early goal in our match against England entirely to the fact that whoever was playing kept speeding up and slowing down.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:06:07

At 6/18/10 10:00 AM, Auz wrote: It just undermines the whole point of national teams and world cups.

Well, I know what you mean. Some sheik from Quatar (I think) tried to give money to players so that they agreed to get a passport from his country. He tried to buy a national team, but the FIFA didn't allow it.

But Podolski's parents emigrated to Germany in 1987, so he lived nearly his whole life here. I don't see why that disqualifies him for playing for Germany.

Also: Didn't I tell you that one German victory against Australia doesn't mean a thing? ;)

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:13:05

USA losing?

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:13:35

Slovenia are 1-0 up!

What a goal! That's why they bother with those otherwise mostly-lame far-out strikes. I think this game could go any way...

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:13:41

At 6/18/10 10:00 AM, Jercurpac wrote: Good, they didn't fuck up our national anthem this time. I attribute conceding that early goal in our match against England entirely to the fact that whoever was playing kept speeding up and slowing down.

Okay, so that wasn't the reason.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:13:57

I guess in four years we'll be seeing Kyrgyzstan winning against Brazil 2-0...

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:15:25

What a goal.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:20:09

At 6/18/10 10:17 AM, Ejit wrote: when someone put ball in net

You are not kidding.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:33:15

I hadn't noticed it before the BBC commentary pointed it out, but it's true; Bob Bradley does have a Hannibal Lecter look about him.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:42:29

Oh dear.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:43:42

At 6/18/10 10:41 AM, Ejit wrote: 5-0

and my joke was still funny

No it wasn't.

>:(

And damn we can't beat the US but these guys are? I'm not looking forward to meeting them.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:44:27

2-0!

Unlucky for the Americans, they've missed some great chances in the last few minutes. I was about to say that this game could still go any way, but we'll have to see how this effects the team. Slovenia have improved incredibly after that terrible game with Algeria.

I was also going to say that the refereeing was at least improved on the last match, but Findley got a yellow card for no reason.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:49:16

Well...see you in another four years World Cup.

Oh, and this will further set back any interest growing in the US. Stupid Slovenia. What the hell.

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:56:30

My head kind of looks like a big hand.

None

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 10:57:01

At 6/18/10 10:52 AM, MrPercie wrote: ill bet americans will score once or if luckly draw with slovenia if they dont score again.

We're really going to have to come out strong right out of halftime to squeeze out a draw. Slovenia's got a great defense and it took all of the first half to break it down enough for that last attempt and they were still able to make a fantastic last second save.

BBS Signature

Response to 2010 Fifa World Cup Thread 2010-06-18 11:05:06

Donovan! 2-1

Why didnt the goalie just took a step forward to stop Donovan?