00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Represent A Country 4 [Contest]

18,019 Views | 336 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 15:43:17

[RAC Home] [Rules] [History] [Contestants] [Running Order] [Twitter!]

When? 26th June!
Where? Radiogrounds

Key Dates:-

14th May - Contest Launch, Veteran Signups Open
15th May - The Audio Portal Signups Open
22nd May - Newgrounds Signups Open
14th June - Signup Deadline
19th June - Submission deadline
26th June - Contest Final

What is RAC?

Represent a Country is a series of Audio contests on Newgrounds hosted by myself. The aim of the contest is for each participant to represent a country of their choice and submit an original and entertaining piece of music. Participants who take part in the contest go on to become well known across the Audio part of Newgrounds, artists such as LK412 and Chungstarr have gone on to develop further sucess after taking part in the contest. The contest has not only become a celebration of world culture, but has also become a huge celebration of the audio portal artists. The contest is open to anyone in the audio forum, whether it's newcomers, well known Newground artists or the contests own veteran artists. For the first time the contest will be inviting participants from two sites!

The Rules

All rules must be followed by all participants. The seriousess of the rulebreak depends on how the situation is dealt, you could be thrown out of the contest altogether (and banned from future events) or Judges could refuse to mark a certain area of your piece. Despite this, all participants must take each and every single rule seriously.

1. The Submissions are allowed to be of any Music Genre, the broader the spectrum the better.
2. The entering song is not allowed to be a cover version or remix and is not allowed to sample another artist's work.
3. The minimum Time limit of the song is 2:30 (minutes) the maximum length of the track is 4:00 (minutes)
4. There may not be more than one act for each country, if the country you want to represent is taken by another artists you must either choose another country or PM the occupying artists, offering to collaberate. Both artists must confirm the collaberation before the later artists application is accepted.
6. All tracks must be in by June 19th, prefferably submitted before. If you have to delay your track a few days you must tell me before that date. The first 5 submitters will have the opportunity to choose their place in the running order.

How do I join?

Just copy the form below, fill it in and post it into this thread:

Name Of Act:
Genre:
Song Title:

Make sure you check the Contestants page on the portal to see which countries have already been taken. In fact look at the whole portal so that you can fully understand the way the contest is run. :3

Feel free to also discuss the contest and participating artists in this thread.

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 15:53:36

At 5/21/10 03:43 PM, NeonProject wrote:
4. There may not be more than one act for each country, if the country you want to represent is taken by another artists you must either choose another country or PM the occupying artists, offering to collaberate. Both artists must confirm the collaberation before the later artists application is accepted.

How is it that this is just now posted, yet there are already nineteen contestants with countries chosen already. That hardly makes it fair in terms of getting to pick what country you wish to work on. Especially considering that the other person has to accept you as a collab partner.

BBS Signature

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 15:57:49

Contest regulars we're given the chance to apply, this is to encourage people to return to the contest and to get people tkaing part regularly. People from the other site we're also given a week head start as they are newcomers to the contest , this is only for this contest and in the 5th their signup page will go up the same day as the NG one does.

To be fair there are only 19 countries already chosen, there are thousands of countries out there to choose from and I don't believe letting those people have head starts was unfair at all. If you decide to take part in this contest you will have the opportunity to choose early in RAC 5 too.

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 15:59:11

At 5/21/10 03:53 PM, Gravey wrote:
At 5/21/10 03:43 PM, NeonProject wrote:
How is it that this is just now posted, yet there are already nineteen contestants with countries chosen already. That hardly makes it fair in terms of getting to pick what country you wish to work on. Especially considering that the other person has to accept you as a collab partner.

Its because contestants from the last RAC were told ahead of time and were given the choice to take place in the competition and reserve places. Its true that it is not very fair but it denies the risk of getting a small amount of contestants. thus having to close down the competition.

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 16:14:45

At 5/21/10 03:57 PM, NeonProject wrote: Contest regulars we're given the chance to apply, this is to encourage people to return to the contest and to get people tkaing part regularly. People from the other site we're also given a week head start as they are newcomers to the contest , this is only for this contest and in the 5th their signup page will go up the same day as the NG one does.

That makes perfect sense to me. I was just sorta put off thinking that it was a "Hey, I let my friends choose first! Now you guys get to pick whats left!" But I'm happy to say there is a logical reason behind it.

To be fair there are only 19 countries already chosen, there are thousands of countries out there to choose from and I don't believe letting those people have head starts was unfair at all. If you decide to take part in this contest you will have the opportunity to choose early in RAC 5 too.

I wasn't implying that the contest itself was unfair. But just posting what you did and there being 19 people already with countries without an explanation raised suspicion for me. But I actually like what you did. Good way to make sure people keep coming back.

Depending on how much crap I get done in the next week or so I might just join this. It looks like a lot of fun, and that it has some intelligent, rational beings behind the scenes running it. Not something you see everyday here on Newgrounds. :-P

BBS Signature

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 16:18:27

OMG Gravey.

AFter reading a a few of your posts in the audio forum I actually thought I was going to get a huge rant from you on how it made no sense and how the system was unfair. You saying it's got a lot of intelligence behind it means a lot, it kinda says the system for the contest is very well thought (which it is).

The contest is a lot of fun and I really hope you take part, it's totally interesting and is a brilliant way to meet new friends and artists from the portal.

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 16:24:27

Name Of Act: InvisibleObserver (Surprise)
Genre: Electro House
Song Title: TBA

Should be feasible.

BBS Signature

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 16:26:48

At 5/21/10 04:18 PM, NeonProject wrote: OMG Gravey.

AFter reading a a few of your posts in the audio forum I actually thought I was going to get a huge rant from you on how it made no sense and how the system was unfair. You saying it's got a lot of intelligence behind it means a lot, it kinda says the system for the contest is very well thought (which it is).

The contest is a lot of fun and I really hope you take part, it's totally interesting and is a brilliant way to meet new friends and artists from the portal.

Hey hey hey. I can easily leave a rant for you if you so choose. ;-D

But in all seriousness you had a rational and logical explanation for why you did what you did. It's for the good of the contest, which is the one thing you hold an allegiance to. You don't owe any of us anything but a fair competition once it gets underway. So it stands to reason that your main focus would be to make sure that this project is not only popular, but a huge success in terms of quality of applicants.

That means it would behoove you to make sure that those who were in this previously, (that were any good), are known that they are appreciated in some form or way even if they didn't win a prize the last time. So to show your loyalty to them you gave them the chance to choose first, which benefits not you personally, but the contest. Thus why I said you are obviously rational, intelligent beings.

But like I said, if ya want a rant I would hate to disappoint. ;-)

I would love to take part but I have a lot of projects that require my attention right now. I don't want to list them because someone might think I'm bragging or something, so I'll just say I have lotsa stuff keeping me busy at the moment. But if I get a couple out of the way in a week or two I'll definitely think about joining in this project.

Best of luck with the contest!

BBS Signature

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 16:46:48

Thank you Gravey... also, if you'd like, you could also help judge if you'd rather not take part. :3

InvisibleObserver you have been accepted to the contest!

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 17:01:22

At 5/21/10 04:46 PM, NeonProject wrote: Thank you Gravey... also, if you'd like, you could also help judge if you'd rather not take part. :3

Oh that would be great actually. I'd definitely be up for that. Sign me up sergeant!

BBS Signature

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 17:09:16

Name Of Act:

Wat??? Like my name? Envy?

Genre:

Dance/Handsup

Song Title:

Not sure yet, dont name em till im done.

Since Norway and Germany are taken and theyre the handsup places... I'll take Sweden.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 17:31:11

At 5/21/10 05:01 PM, Gravey wrote:
At 5/21/10 04:46 PM, NeonProject wrote: Thank you Gravey... also, if you'd like, you could also help judge if you'd rather not take part. :3
Oh that would be great actually. I'd definitely be up for that. Sign me up sergeant!

Sure thing... I'll send you the materials a week before the submission deadline, so you can familiarise yourself with the marking criteria. :3

@Envy, you are so accepted for the contest! Lulz.

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 19:36:23

Damn it, i am in the middle of making my track, and i've got a lot of ideas flowing into the song, and i've already broken the 4 minute rule. But i dun really want to take out or shorten parts, damn my artistic values of having held notes for a transition!! The way this seem to be going, i could have a 12 minute long track on my hands. =P

I just hope by the end of it all, i'll have picked my favorite parts of the entire thing for this.

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 19:53:26

Do I still count as a veteran (If I even am one)?
I'd like to participate this time again, I actually want to play bagpipes!
I'll represent SCOTLAND!!!

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 19:57:42

Oh right, application, forgot haha
Act: Pure-Metal-UTA (UTA as in UP THE ASS)
Genre: Metal
Title: TBA
There we go

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 20:38:39

I am officially entering, again. Hopefully this year things won't suddenly crap on me at the wrong time again.

Act: Brokendeck
Genre: Classical (Score type)

Cheers! :D

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-21 20:47:12

Someone already chose India so i have to change my Country to...

Name Of Act: AMP
Genre: ItaloDance

So ya, I'll be making some ItaloDance stuff because my first choice was jacked :(

I hope ItaloDance counts as Italian. :P

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 04:53:04

At 5/21/10 07:57 PM, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote: Oh right, application, forgot haha
Act: Pure-Metal-UTA (UTA as in UP THE ASS)
Genre: Metal
There we go

Yay, it's great to see you back! :3
People participating in the last contest we're given messages, saying they could apply early. You are a veteran, but I don't believe you participated in the last contest. :/

Anyways, you are accepted!

At 5/21/10 08:38 PM, brokendeck wrote: I am officially entering, again. Hopefully this year things won't suddenly crap on me at the wrong time again.

-Crosses fingers-

Great to see you back. :3
Accepted.

At 5/21/10 08:47 PM, AMP wrote: I hope ItaloDance counts as Italian. :P

The genre isn't the only way you can represent a country. You could do a style completely unrelated to the country and still find ways to get full marks. Like using lyrics which reference the country or just simply inserting a native instrument. :3
The contest, despite asking for certain things, still allows for creative freedom.

Accepted!

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 05:06:51

At 5/22/10 04:53 AM, NeonProject wrote:
The genre isn't the only way you can represent a country. You could do a style completely unrelated to the country and still find ways to get full marks. Like using lyrics which reference the country or just simply inserting a native instrument. :3
The contest, despite asking for certain things, still allows for creative freedom.

See this is why i've picked Antarctica these two times, i can do whatever the hell i want, since the only thing they really have down there is ass-cold weather and death =P

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 05:39:28

It still has to make the Judges think "oh yeah, this songs about Antarctica", so in that sens you may have chosen one of the hardest countries. :P

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 06:05:05

At 5/22/10 05:39 AM, NeonProject wrote: It still has to make the Judges think "oh yeah, this songs about Antarctica", so in that sens you may have chosen one of the hardest countries. :P

i shall force my will upon the judges and make sure i put enough LSD and Pot into the actual mp3 of the song that there will be no way of them mistaking it for anything else!! Muahaha!

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 06:45:30

I actually lol'd.

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 10:33:42

I'm gonna give this a go and see if I can attempt some Gamelin type sounds!

Name Of Act: Jazz Noise
Genre: We'll see!

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 10:37:29

Here's my entry! Go Japan!

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 11:03:17

At 5/22/10 10:33 AM, Chris-V2 wrote: I'm gonna give this a go and see if I can attempt some Gamelin type sounds!

Name Of Act: Jazz Noise
Genre: We'll see!

Java is an Island based in Indonesia. I'll accept you, but you will be entered as representing Indonesia.

Also MiddleIsland, your contestant number is number 9. You will be in voting block 2.
Running Order Updated!

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 11:50:43

Name Of Act: Kris Sumara
Genre: TBA (Still deciding between trance and house.)

BBS Signature

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 11:58:13

At 5/22/10 11:50 AM, djsumara wrote: Name Of Act: Kris Sumara
Genre: TBA (Still deciding between trance and house.)

You're already on the list. :P

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 12:19:45

Cool contest hahahaha let me join~~
Name Of Act: DJThirdteen
Genre: Trance

BBS Signature

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 12:52:07

At 5/22/10 12:19 PM, DJThirdteen wrote: Cool contest hahahaha let me join~~
Name Of Act: DJThirdteen
Genre: Trance

HongKong is part of China, which is already being represented.
Guys, please make sure you read the first post and also... The contest is called 'Represent A Country, please do not choose islands continents or cities. Just choose the country.

Response to Represent A Country 4 [Contest] 2010-05-22 16:03:37

I just gave a speech on turkish art music. This should be fun :D

Name Of Act: Matvei
Genre: Turkish Art (World)
Song Title: Tanz Tanz Rast

BBS Signature