00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

studda614 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi

879 Views | 22 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This is the battle thread for Wees74, PinballWizard976, and MonkeyV. The topic is synesthesia. It is a little off the beaten path, but you can find all your information online. A great place for background is this handy little article here. While it is on a comedy site, all the information is completely legitimate and does provide APA references throughout. Good luck to all combatants. You have 24 hours to submit your poem.

Hey, flash artists, want an idea? Check this out: The Scarecrew

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-05 17:32:42

dude, what? I never signed up for this. I have a ton of chemistry homework I gotta do tonight. Take a point off or whatever, but I'm really swamped and can't be writing poetry for a few days. In the future, do you think somebody could ask me or something?

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-05 17:36:08

At 4/5/10 05:32 PM, PinballWizard976 wrote: dude, what? I never signed up for this. I have a ton of chemistry homework I gotta do tonight. Take a point off or whatever, but I'm really swamped and can't be writing poetry for a few days. In the future, do you think somebody could ask me or something?

if pinball doesn't want to participate would I be allowed to compete in his stead?

A little story I'm trying to write, named Two Halves

"jumping off a cliff only hurts if you forget how to fly" -Taj Mahal Badalandabad

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-05 17:48:09

It's run by a roulette system, and I sent out 24-hour warnings yesterday.

In the future, if you know you are going to be busy, you can contact either of the battle masters (Trevor or I) and your name will be taken off the roster for eligible candidates.

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-05 17:49:58

At 4/5/10 05:36 PM, rubber-dum-dum wrote:
if pinball doesn't want to participate would I be allowed to compete in his stead?

There's no precedent for it, but I'll let you in here, as long as you can submit your poem by the 24 hour mark.

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-05 18:40:07

At 4/5/10 05:49 PM, stimcrab wrote:
At 4/5/10 05:36 PM, rubber-dum-dum wrote:
There's no precedent for it, but I'll let you in here, as long as you can submit your poem by the 24 hour mark.

Ok i have till tomorrow at 5, I'll be sure to have it in by then.

"jumping off a cliff only hurts if you forget how to fly" -Taj Mahal Badalandabad

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-05 19:24:14

Wow, that is very interesting.

I've got some ideas already, so I'll be working on it later today.

BBS Signature

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-05 20:18:56

I will remove Pinball until he feels that he has time =]

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-05 22:21:42

At 4/5/10 05:48 PM, stimcrab wrote: It's run by a roulette system, and I sent out 24-hour warnings yesterday.

In the future, if you know you are going to be busy, you can contact either of the battle masters (Trevor or I) and your name will be taken off the roster for eligible candidates.

So I have to get on newgrounds every day to let people know I'm busy? Sorry, that doesn't make much sense... Like, I don't visit newgrounds daily, so you could have 10 battles with me in them and I wouldn't have a clue about them. I think we or you or whatever should go back to having people sign up for them, because it doesn't always fit into people's schedules, "spontaneous" or not.

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-05 22:57:48

At 4/5/10 10:21 PM, PinballWizard976 wrote:
At 4/5/10 05:48 PM, stimcrab wrote: It's run by a roulette system, and I sent out 24-hour warnings yesterday.

So I have to get on newgrounds every day to let people know I'm busy? Sorry, that doesn't make much sense... Like, I don't visit newgrounds daily, so you could have 10 battles with me in them and I wouldn't have a clue about them. I think we or you or whatever should go back to having people sign up for them, because it doesn't always fit into people's schedules, "spontaneous" or not.

The battles have always been this way. I have said it many times that, once on the list a contestant is open to battles 24/7 (though we try to be more than reasonable). If a contestant is busy then he or she need only to ask for a leave of absence, If he or she needs more time they can ask for it. We are pretty easy going. We understand that we all have lives.

If you don't have the interest then drop out Pinball, though we will miss you.

[You are thinking of the challenges, which have been removed due to the fact that we want a diverse and well monitored competition. The challenges simply provide too many loose ends, though we will listen to preferences. There was always "computer" draw challenges and those have simply become the only way to battle.]

If you are refering to

BBS Signature

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-05 23:02:07

At 4/5/10 10:21 PM, PinballWizard976 wrote:

Wait a second...so you have the time to make 5.28 submissions per day, but you say you don't visit newgrounds daily. I know that's an average...but come on, you can at least take 30 minutes to at least submit something.

That's what I do sometimes, sure some don't win, but at least it still shows that I am dedicated to the competitions. Besides...you are permitted a DAY'S worth of extended time, so I don't understand what you are going on about chemistry homework since you can just get an extension on the competition, do your homework, and submit your piece.

It's not that much of an obstacle, in my opinion. (Although I'll probably be living on the computer for the rest of the Spring Break I'm having, but that's for another reason.)

Aside from that, did Trevor mean to spell it like that, or did he spell 'Synthesis' wrong?

:/ If you can't 'guarabtee', at the very least 'try'. Please. I'm more than eager to hear the pieces from any mind here on newgrounds.

I put the BS in BBS.

BBS Signature

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-06 17:53:53

Five paths
Leading to the mind
But sometimes
We can not find

Our way down
The spiral path
Our brains mix up
You double back

Senses shift
They never learn
They can't find a way
They can't return

Ears for eyes
Eyes for mouths
Mouths for skin
Skin for noses
Noses for ears

Paths all twisting, never meeting
But sometimes paths cross
Sometimes paths meld
Sometime paths break

Splintering paths
Litter the floor
Sometimes you can't fix
The paths are no more

Sorry, I got obsessed with writing in my book and didn't have time for a proper entry, this is the next I could come up with in a short time. Hope you all enjoy it :(

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-06 17:58:26

The submitting period is closed. As no one except Rubber has submitted anything, I'm expecting pleas for extensions.

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-06 17:59:11

See, that's what I'm not understanding. I signed up for a poetry battle 2 or 3 weeks ago, so now I'm in this circle of combatants? Sure, I'll do a battle or two, but I have other stuff to do. It makes more sense to let people pick when they want to battle, that way they know they have the time. Plus, a lot of times I'll be great at writing poetry, and some days I am just completely awful. Not even a tidbit of talent or technique or anything.

5 posts a day average is affected by how I used to post like crazy when I first signed up. Look at my recent post history. Going from 5,000 to 5,180 took me over 5 months. And clearly you've never taken a chemistry class to say that it's possible to do it in a few hours then write poetry. On an average "chem night", I'll usually start at around 3:00 pm when I get home, and end around 2:00 am. And I still don't always finish. So it's honestly just impssible sometimes. :\

I know nobody cares about my life, but I'm just trying to plead my cas here. I don't want to mess up your system because I have stuff to do.

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-06 19:08:14

I completely forgot that Newgrounds is based on Eastern time. I just not got home (4:00 where I live) and I was expecting to have an hour to finish it up right now. Extension please!

BBS Signature

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-06 19:46:31

Deal. That's fine. Just make sure that you remember.

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-06 19:47:44

At 4/6/10 07:46 PM, stimcrab wrote: Deal. That's fine. Just make sure that you remember.

darn, now I am probably going to lose. I am much better with prose writing than I am with poetry and the like.

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-06 21:27:52

At 4/6/10 07:46 PM, stimcrab wrote: Deal. That's fine. Just make sure that you remember.

K. I'll do my best to have it up tonight.

BBS Signature

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-07 19:12:23

I'm sorry, guys. I didn't forget, but I finished homework very late yesterday. I was just way too tired to finish it. I suppose the win goes to Rubber-dum-dum (assuming the extension period is over). However I managed to write one stanza:

Woke up late this morning
on this Saturday, so red.
Sounds from the alarm
clashed with music of numbers
as I glanced at the clock beside my bed.

I'm very disappointed; I really liked this topic.

BBS Signature

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-07 19:25:46

Of course though I'll continue writing it if someone confirms that the extension period is actually not over yet...

BBS Signature

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-09 07:16:32

Alright guys. This battle got really messed up here. I am going to go ahead and just toss MonkeyV and Rubber a win point.

@Rubber -- Make sure to consider more extensive word choice. You said you didn't have much time so thats ok :) [Not sure why you competed anyways but since you put the effort in I'll go with it]

Closed (lol?)

BBS Signature

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-09 16:44:42

I know its already finished but

Rubber,

I really enjoyed your descriptions: they was accurate and simple. I have a friend who mixes words with tastes because of synesthesia. The way you described the senses crossing paths and 'splintering' like physical objects was powerful. I loved the way you described them littered on the ground... Like TrevorW said, I think you could have been a little more wordy; the word path comes up quite a few times. Otherwise, if simple was what you were going for, you wrote an excellent poem - some of the best poets write simple stuff. (see Robert Frost for similar poetry)

Monkey,

I really liked the imagery. I feel like you are describing the numbers on your alarm clock, and crossing them with sounds; if that was your aim, it was captivating. Were the flashing red lights on the alarm clock the 'red' you described Saturday and morning with? If this was complete, it would have been a very good poem.

Gratz to both of you for winning :P

Excellent

Response to Wees v Pinball v Monkey:synesthesi 2010-04-09 16:57:20

you know what the funny thing is, I have this disease to a minor extent. Sounds to me appear with colors. Smells have certain looks. I see a psychiatrist for other reasons and he diagnosed me with this.