00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

A drawing Style

925 Views | 10 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

A drawing Style 2010-03-31 14:20:37

I don't really have a 'style' for my art. Actually, I don't even want to. I see alot of great artist with alot of art, but it's all in the same drawing style. Wouldn't that get boring after a while?

Actually, I'd prefer that every piece I made was in a somehow different style. Of course you can have drawings that look the same, but all of your drawings? Doesn't that take away the freedom of making art? I mean, then you'll have to stick with one. Meh, maybe I'll also get a certain drawing style later, but i dunno if it would be less funt to draw then..

Does anybody else feel like that?
btw, since you have to start off with a piece of art, here's a pic I just made

I hope it doesn't have too much of the same style as any other of my drawings :P

A drawing Style

My Deviantart | NG Art | Youtube Channel | Art Portfolio

Shameless self-promotion ftw!

BBS Signature

Response to A drawing Style 2010-03-31 14:55:50

I dunno, I have noticed a bit of a style emerging from your last pieces, but theirs nothing wrong with having a certain art style. Style doesn't limit your artistic abilities, that's only limited by your creativity and skill level.

Response to A drawing Style 2010-03-31 15:15:22

Try drawing realistically as hard as you can but fast as you can. boom you get your own personal style, realy that's it.
style is created from mistakes or incapability of drawing a certain thing so you do it your own way.
Just don't think too much about it, just draw, you are not experienced enough to think so much about such technical stuff...neither am i.
When you will find a certain style and it feels like you like it allot you should be sticking with it, if you change it overtime that means it wasn't your shit.

01010011011001010111100001110101011 00001011011000110110001111001001000

BBS Signature

Response to A drawing Style 2010-03-31 15:16:58

I agree with johnathan on this one; What Id like to add is that you shouldnt force a style on yourself. If you force yourself to work in a certain style it will limit your creativity.
A style has to be something that comes naturally; its a way to express something.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to A drawing Style 2010-03-31 15:24:09

No what I'm trying to say is.. I find it actually not good to have a very certain style.. like it's limiting the freedom of your art.

My Deviantart | NG Art | Youtube Channel | Art Portfolio

Shameless self-promotion ftw!

BBS Signature

Response to A drawing Style 2010-03-31 15:27:35

At 3/31/10 03:24 PM, TieSeiT wrote: No what I'm trying to say is.. I find it actually not good to have a very certain style.. like it's limiting the freedom of your art.

Look at it like a language; you can say the same things in dutch as you can say in english; but theyre still different. Sure it limits you in some ways; if you really feel strongly about that check up some dadaist poetry. Still at the same time; language enables you to say what you want.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to A drawing Style 2010-03-31 23:49:31

Ha! Nice drawing style you got there. Actually I think style is always important when it comes to your art because this style may somehow be your identity as an artist. If you have your own very unique style, people can easily distinguish your work among the rest. So yeah, it's very important.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to A drawing Style 2010-04-12 19:37:42

what you said makes sense.
but...
it's always a good idea to find artists that you really like, figure out why you love them so much,
and then do studies of their art.
that's the only way i can every figure out what style works best for me.

even if you end up not liking it it's still a good experience.

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to A drawing Style 2010-04-12 21:18:57

I gotta be honest, what you said makes very little sense to me. It seems like you're under the impression that most artists force themselves to work in a style. That's far from true.
Yes, a style limits your artistic freedom, if it's forced. Forcing yourself to work in a style will result in you working in ways that don't work with what you want to do.
However, if you just work the way you want to without trying to nail down a specific way of making art, you'll develop a style. Considering you DEVELOPED it instead of FORCED it, it'll be able to shape around anything you want to make.
I've never forced the way I draw to look a certain way; on the contrary! I've at least tried making all sorts of stuff in all sorts of ways. But my stuff does have a certain style to it. I never tried to draw in this style, I just do. I've never once had trouble drawing something I want to draw as a result of this. As Big-Johnny said, a style (if it's your own) doesn't limit you; only skill and imagination do.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to A drawing Style 2010-04-12 21:59:31

I suggest never worrying about the word 'style.' Never give it a thought. It is what snooty elitist artist claim to have, as well as terrible wannabe anime artist who refuse to learn anatomy.

Style comes with time, it just happens. It happens when you forget about defining one. You just work on making the best art you can, and in 5 years you'll start hearing, 'You have a neat style.' Then you'll know that you have arrived. =P

Just my two cents, stay cool and keep painting guys.

Response to A drawing Style 2010-04-12 22:12:27

At 4/12/10 09:59 PM, Hyptosis wrote: I suggest never worrying about the word 'style.' Never give it a thought. It is what snooty elitist artist claim to have, as well as terrible wannabe anime artist who refuse to learn anatomy.

Style comes with time, it just happens. It happens when you forget about defining one. You just work on making the best art you can, and in 5 years you'll start hearing, 'You have a neat style.' Then you'll know that you have arrived. =P

Just my two cents, stay cool and keep painting guys.

Oooh, I gotta agree with this guy. I say "don't force it", but if you don't think about style at all, that will probably work out better for you and it'll probably come more naturally.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature