00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ng Parkour & Free Running Club.

5,389 Views | 49 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-10 09:09:46

Hey and welcome to the NG Parkour & Free Running Club here you can discuss or put pictures up of your achievements, or better yet even send us your youtube account where you have uploaded a certain video of your skills.

if you havent done parkour or free running before and would like to get into it, best thing to do would be to take hints off of fellow traceurs or traceus's or Free Runners, they will set you in the right path to learning.

as alot SHOULD know Parkour and Free Running is Based on Efficient movement, both different styles ofcourse, Parkour being Vaults and physical strength surpassing obstacles, being that free running itself is the Urban Gymnastics so to put it, it can be known as being Fluid like water or as graceful as the wind, using Flips and Twists over and / or off an Obstacle.

:: R u l e s ::

- Introduce yourself, its nice to know the people your talking too arent Bull Sh*tters
- Please no posting inappropriate pictures.....unless they are funny (but non offensive)
- No Boasting here, its called Progression not competition.
- Make some online buddies here.
- No Spamming for the love of Bhudda.

-------------------------

Anyway to start things off i figured i would input my Youtube link and even show you all a Pic of My "Back Flash kick"

My Yootoob Subscribe and rate please.

Scottish Traceur / Free Runner and PROUD!

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-10 12:51:31

to avoid any bellyachers, I'm going to allow this thread to continue, even though a number of previous free running threads have been attempted and one or two may still be unlocked. After doing a quick skim of the other available threads this one has by far the most thought put into the opening post.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-10 17:55:46

Wow...Didnt know there were other clubs...

well....i hope this one lasts and there are people here who are interested in joining and casually posting every once and a while.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-11 15:28:14

I've always wanted to try this out but I have no idea where to start learning the necessary skills and gaining the confidence to pull things off. Any advice?

Your friendly neighbourhood devils advocate.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-11 21:45:19

Been doing parkour for about a month now actually. I would like to get better but it's hard to stay focused on it with school and other things. I can do rolls really well and am great at jumps but can't do much else though.
Like I said I would love to learn more so I hope this club stays up.

|Foxes Club| |I VOICE ACT.|

PSN ID: jake-thesnake_ng XBL: SFC Fox Paw

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-11 21:56:18

I am really interested in this... have done a few tries, but i haven't find a good place to do it yet
i still looking...

meanwhile, i would love to join the club

any tips on what kind of places should i look for.... good places to start (i am really a beginner)

~Member of the EGB since 10/04/07 ~Member of the NGDD since 10/28/07

~thanx a million times for the sig CagedSilhouette

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 02:22:53

Heavily into my Parkour, it's a discipline I can connect too, I've been training for 2 years now, I was lucky enough to find a large group who train parkour. (northern parkour)

I'm strictly parkour, I have tried to flips in the gym as a messabout but I'm parkour only. ;)

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 04:53:12

I'm not really a parkourer but I have gone to the city and jumped around a few times. My cousin is good friends with a guy who does a few martial arts and parkour and tricking... and so he knows heaps of the best trickers and parkour guys in the state.
Here's a link to one of the video's of them > LINK this is tricking which is just doing flips and kicks and stuff.

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 10:36:02

At 3/11/10 03:28 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: I've always wanted to try this out but I have no idea where to start learning the necessary skills and gaining the confidence to pull things off. Any advice?

Best Advice i could give you mate would be to pace yourself, start with small Jumps & cat leaps, also condition your upper body for climb ups, Climb ups are sometimes the best part of a traceurs fluidity.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 10:37:30

At 3/12/10 04:05 AM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote: Funnily enough, I actually do a lot of this from time to time. I did gymnastics for a few years up until I was about 9 so that might be why it was so natural to me. Then I did climbing.

I'll try & get some videos of the stuff I do at college. There's no chance a copper could catch me in my playground that is our urban environment.

Would be good to see some videos, cant wait, hah i doubt any cop could catch a traceur or a free runner.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 10:40:01

At 3/11/10 09:45 PM, jake-thesnake wrote: Been doing parkour for about a month now actually. I would like to get better but it's hard to stay focused on it with school and other things. I can do rolls really well and am great at jumps but can't do much else though.
Like I said I would love to learn more so I hope this club stays up.

Well hopefully it stays up so we can all keep ourselfs positive right ?
as for bettering yourself its all about pace, dont rush anything, practice small things and work your way up to bigger distances that what me and my friends do now a days, or better yet try this improvement technique, anyday your training do atleast ONE thing that scares you, not only will it boost your adrenaline, but it will pretty much raise your confidence aswell.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 10:41:16

At 3/11/10 09:56 PM, aldlv wrote: I am really interested in this... have done a few tries, but i haven't find a good place to do it yet
i still looking...

meanwhile, i would love to join the club

any tips on what kind of places should i look for.... good places to start (i am really a beginner)

Where abouts are you from and i'm sure i could help out, i know alot of local areas around different places.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 11:21:40

At 3/12/10 02:22 AM, Obvious-M wrote: Heavily into my Parkour, it's a discipline I can connect too, I've been training for 2 years now, I was lucky enough to find a large group who train parkour. (northern parkour)

I'm strictly parkour, I have tried to flips in the gym as a messabout but I'm parkour only. ;)

I Respect people that are strictly parkour, it goes to show they are Unique in their movement, as a Traceur / Free Runner i have to admit at somepoint my Movement can get a little muddled thanks to training the two things separate, Anyway hope your trainings going good, and props to the NPK Guys.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 12:38:45

At 3/12/10 10:36 AM, GlaswegianXtra wrote:
At 3/11/10 03:28 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: I've always wanted to try this out but I have no idea where to start learning the necessary skills and gaining the confidence to pull things off. Any advice?
Best Advice i could give you mate would be to pace yourself, start with small Jumps & cat leaps, also condition your upper body for climb ups, Climb ups are sometimes the best part of a traceurs fluidity.

Is there any kind of gym work (or exercises) you could recommend? There isn't much of an environment where I am since the council are building houses around the only damn open field. But I could do jumps over and over again around my garden fence. But I'll take a look for places to go. My muscle mass (upper body) is heavy but very versatile (from lots of; Jujitsu, boxing, mixed martial arts). I need abdominal muscles though surely.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 12:40:29

In fact I should try taking up trampolining. Surely that would be an excellent workout to get into this idea of fluidity, and when I'm ready it could be applied.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 15:08:39

At 3/12/10 11:34 AM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote: I've never committed myself to a back flip, I don't know myself well enough to try that. How the hell did you guys practice it?

If you check my userpage you can see a video of my getting one of my first ones a few months ago.

Luckily the guys I train with have been given access to a gym after hours, which is available to certain people. The flips obviously take time, I remember getting there and after a while when we got bored of parkour, we tried some of the flips, then eventually we wanted to do the back like most kids.

I had 2 spotters and a damn lot of faith, and I landed on my knees, but I was damn proud. After a few months I tried another backflip into a pit, big mistake, the pit was empty and I bailed out mid back and landed on my neck. (horrible pain)

Then last year about october, I got them on the trampoline after manning-up and going for it, then once I was certain with them on the trampoline we took the ground, the first few were shoddy but as you can see after a while I progressed well, and today I can do them really easily.

If you go on my facebook I have 3 or so videos progressing the backflip, it's the easiest flip to do in reality because you are always aware of where you are however most people are caught out by the fear, but as long as you have proper technique nothing can go wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 15:13:07

At 3/12/10 12:40 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote: In fact I should try taking up trampolining. Surely that would be an excellent workout to get into this idea of fluidity, and when I'm ready it could be applied.

It depends what you are going for, Parkour or Freerunning?

Freerunning is more visually pleasing and is more about doing gymnastics and expressing yourself through those movements. Trampolining would definetly help for that.

However for Parkour it would be useless, as you become much more aware when you do parkour and being on a trampoline would obviously be something different, and in parkour you don't do any flips as they aren't efficiant, and parkour is about efficiancy through movement.

Also note that you may be muscular, parkour uses a ton of different muscles, and simply doing core workouts to biceps and abs and deltoids ect. WILL help but not as much as you'd think they would, doing the movements outside of parkour is much more benficial from the get go, you'll build up smaller muscles which are important for quick movements. We've had bodybuilders come out and think it would be a doss to do half the things, however they really struggle to even lift themselves up a wall from hanging because they are too heavy and are not used to the movements, and then are shown up by some skinny teenager who can fly over these walls with immense speed and flow.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-12 15:41:30

At 3/12/10 03:08 PM, Obvious-M wrote: If you go on my facebook I have 3 or so videos progressing the backflip, it's the easiest flip to do in reality because you are always aware of where you are however most people are caught out by the fear, but as long as you have proper technique nothing can go wrong.

Facebook? If you willing to add PM me.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-13 14:57:01

At 3/12/10 10:41 AM, GlaswegianXtra wrote:
At 3/11/10 09:56 PM, aldlv wrote: any tips on what kind of places should i look for.... good places to start (i am really a beginner)
Where abouts are you from and i'm sure i could help out, i know alot of local areas around different places.

from a really small country... XD... i don't even speak English =D

I am going to copy GC attributes to put mine XD
Balance: average
Strength: good
Top speed: average
Stamina: average
Highiest jump: good
Furthest jump: good
Landing: very good
and i am going to add
Body: kinda fat, more like i am heavy and not so tall... but i have good reflex and move fast

At 3/12/10 11:34 AM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote:
At 3/12/10 10:37 AM, GlaswegianXtra wrote: Would be good to see some videos, cant wait, hah i doubt any cop could catch a traceur or a free runner.

you really have that "attributes"... very nice, you sound very athletic

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-13 15:42:13

To you guys posting "stats" who are you comparing yourself too? I mean I'd say I've been training for 2 years and compared to what I've seen the things I do are nowhere near. I really think it's over achieving to say you're VERY good at something.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-13 20:34:25

At 3/12/10 10:37 AM, GlaswegianXtra wrote: Would be good to see some videos, cant wait, hah i doubt any cop could catch a traceur or a free runner.
Lol. My main attributes (to self promote) are as follows:
Balance: Pretty good.
Strength: Very good.
Top speed: Very fast.
Stamina: Quite bad.
Highiest jump: Very good.
Furthest jump: I've never known anyone in my school to jump further.
Landing: Probably the thing I'm best at. Gymnastics, Judo & Jujitsu have taught me a lot.

I've never committed myself to a back flip, I don't know myself well enough to try that. How the hell did you guys practice it? Anyway, most of the stuff I do is jump over high fences, run along the top of narrow fences & kick off walls to reach the top of another one. A video which I might be likely to get some peers at college to record would be urban climbing.

Although this is barely parkour, here's a video of a gymnastic things I can do (this wasn't my best throw, I lost balance, but you get the idea). Yes, I'm short.

Your Video is good man, i would give you the same advice i gave the others pace yourself well and do ONE thing a day that scares you its a major boost in your confidence and should help you jump into bigger stuff, as for committing yourself to certain flips its all about Endurance, if you have a gym to train in no pain will come to you, all it takes is trying flips off of higher heights first into matts or Foam pits, but in Glasgow Scotland we have NO WHERE, we literally have to learn this stuff on grass or Astroturf, sure you go through a bit of pain mid learning but in time you take that pain and shape it into Unique Skill.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-13 20:38:02

At 3/12/10 12:38 PM, ArmouredGRIFFON wrote:
At 3/12/10 10:36 AM, GlaswegianXtra wrote:
Is there any kind of gym work (or exercises) you could recommend? There isn't much of an environment where I am since the council are building houses around the only damn open field. But I could do jumps over and over again around my garden fence. But I'll take a look for places to go. My muscle mass (upper body) is heavy but very versatile (from lots of; Jujitsu, boxing, mixed martial arts). I need abdominal muscles though surely.

Well like i said, conditioning your upper body with push ups and pull ups (simple few maybe say 40 a day even, slow progression but it gets your somewhere right ?) as for your abdominal muscles thats merely a case of conditioning your thighs and hips, sit ups will also help good. (Crunch Sit ups)

also advise alot of stretching (:

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-13 20:41:27

from a really small country... XD... i don't even speak English =D

I am going to copy GC attributes to put mine XD
Balance: average
Strength: good
Top speed: average
Stamina: average
Highiest jump: good
Furthest jump: good
Landing: very good
and i am going to add
Body: kinda fat, more like i am heavy and not so tall... but i have good reflex and move fast

you really have that "attributes"... very nice, you sound very athletic

I Say you should start in grassy areas or railed areas for a while thats what i did to work on my balance and jumps, and in no time i started jumping into bigger stuff, but this is me, i have the freak ability to say in my mind "Fuck it" and just get the stuff done, sometimes i'll land on my face but hey thats life i can deal with that hah
As for the Attributes you shouldnt limit yourself you need to say to yourself and keep yourself confident
repeat:
"i can do this.."
or
"Pfft....i've seen bigger jumps in a wheel chair stunt movie man..."

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-13 22:46:04

At 3/13/10 08:41 PM, GlaswegianXtra wrote: repeat:
"i can do this.."
or
"Pfft....i've seen bigger jumps in a wheel chair stunt movie man..."

hahahaha.. that's the attitude
when i get my first bone broken, i already know who i am going to blame... xD.. just kidding

btw, guys... what had been the worst fall you guy had making parkour??? and how injured you got?

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-13 23:23:50

Well, I'd like to do parkour, but I kinda live in a small town with not that many buildings except for the fire department, city hall, a couple restaurants here and there, etc. But it does look cool and I could pull it off.

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-14 00:53:01

While I am very good at climbing and jumping from point A to B, I am only Average speed and have low stamina. I also have the strongest bones of most people, I haven't broke a bone despite the things I do. I have jumped from my Roof to a tree and missed (missed the grab to the tree) and fell, but nothing was really bruised, so my landing is nice.
I don't have guts to flip, but I have guts to jump, so i really don't know.

A lot of people have pictures for their signatures. But that's stupid. I'm not going to do that. That is so 2008. Not even kidding. Jeez, you guys are stoopid.

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-14 05:15:56

At 3/14/10 12:53 AM, RPGCrazyCritic wrote: While I am very good at climbing and jumping from point A to B, I am only Average speed and have low stamina. I also have the strongest bones of most people, I haven't broke a bone despite the things I do. I have jumped from my Roof to a tree and missed (missed the grab to the tree) and fell, but nothing was really bruised, so my landing is nice.
I don't have guts to flip, but I have guts to jump, so i really don't know.

Find what you're interested in, parkour or freerunning.

And build up small, this applies to everyone, when you're starting out you don't want to push your body to do something it isn't ready for, it takes a long time to do the big things you see on those videos, repetition of the smaller movements will allow you to eventually get to that point.

And I've never really had a bad injury, just scraped and bruises, nothing bad. If you get injured you were doing you shouldn't have really. ;O

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-14 08:11:08

btw, guys... what had been the worst fall you guy had making parkour??? and how injured you got?

My Worst fall was probably a Double side flip off of a black container hah.
i figured the height was right and i could do it onto matts and land fine, so i ran my fastest and BOOM, foot slipped and i crashed bang on my shoulderblades.....couldnt train for a month...but in a day back in training i gained back all my tricks again yay !
figured aswell that i'd post a pic up seeing as i havent since my first post

Pike front ftw !

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-14 08:13:55

At 3/13/10 11:23 PM, tankmasta411 wrote: Well, I'd like to do parkour, but I kinda live in a small town with not that many buildings except for the fire department, city hall, a couple restaurants here and there, etc. But it does look cool and I could pull it off.

even in the smallest town you'll find somewhere to train dont worry, have you got anyone to train with, the biggest motivation in training with friends, if you can pull it off then you should have nothing to fear, go for gold bro.

BBS Signature

Response to Ng Parkour & Free Running Club. 2010-03-14 09:28:22

Something I should have mentioned earlier and what I mentioned to ArmouredGRIFFON, was that the group I train with Northernparkour made a documentry last year that's about 40 minutes long. It has a mention on the wikipedia page and is VERY VERY good and has a really in depth analysis of what parkour is, also the other videos on that channel are useful and some are just to show off the community. (parkour thriller zombies!)

Anyway here is the link, I strongly reccomend watching this, it is very helpful.

BBS Signature