00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ThomasBlack0001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Octopus

1,107 Views | 21 Replies

Octopus 2010-03-04 20:27:17

i was wondering what you guys thought.
also do you guys have any tips for abstract composition.
cheers/
spacecase

Octopus

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 20:31:22

I think your math is off at the top... The pic is great though!! I applaud u. :)

Avocado's Crazy Castle! Free to Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbVqm7qKI8

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 20:31:51

At 3/4/10 08:27 PM, Spac3case916 wrote: i was wondering what you guys thought.
also do you guys have any tips for abstract composition.
cheers/
spacecase

Ah, I saw this in the portal. I though it was neat, especially how you used pens and such. It looks great

This text is in bold, which makes me aweso and your statement irrelevant.

ArtThread. Deviant. NGcar. SnowmansLand

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 20:35:20

I left a more detailed response as a review. :) Basically, it looks like a doodle you drew in class, but its still Awesome!!

Avocado's Crazy Castle! Free to Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbVqm7qKI8

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 20:35:29

boredom doodles in class have just reached a new level, i salute you, youv set the bar high

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 20:35:52

At 3/4/10 08:35 PM, ashman112 wrote: boredom doodles in class have just reached a new level, i salute you, youv set the bar high

Extremely high

This text is in bold, which makes me aweso and your statement irrelevant.

ArtThread. Deviant. NGcar. SnowmansLand

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 20:52:26

Wow.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 21:07:40

Hi have a HUGE problem with this being in the portal. It's a cool sketch and all, but the lined paper and visible notebook spiral?! Not so much. Please remove it and anything else like it from the portal (can stay uploaded, just uncheck the 'this is not a sketch" box), or you will be unscouted.

Thanks.

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 21:07:49

thank you guys so much
the math is not exatly wrong.
there are only 5 legs... but it's still an octopus.
so 5 = 8

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 21:12:54

At 3/4/10 09:07 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Hi have a HUGE problem with this being in the portal. It's a cool sketch and all, but the lined paper and visible notebook spiral?! Not so much. Please remove it and anything else like it from the portal (can stay uploaded, just uncheck the 'this is not a sketch" box), or you will be unscouted.

Thanks.

hahaha
it's called art.
vomit on a canvas goes for thousands of dollars in Europe.

the medium that this is done on is just as much a part of the message.
the medium suggests where i was, based off of the math and the medium. (school, probably a math class.)

and you may be a high level and even a moderator. But next time you decide to threaten someone, dont.

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 21:15:36

At 3/4/10 09:12 PM, Spac3case916 wrote: and you may be a high level and even a moderator. But next time you decide to threaten someone, dont.

Wrong answer.

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 21:24:26

At 3/4/10 09:12 PM, Spac3case916 wrote: hahaha
it's called art.
vomit on a canvas goes for thousands of dollars in Europe.

this isn't Europe, and that kind of stuff is crap. Just because it sells doesn't make it acceptable or good, especially not for this 'gallery'.

the medium that this is done on is just as much a part of the message.

That may be true, and while lined paper is generally frowned upon on Newgrounds it is not an illegal surface necessarily, it simply requires a certain aesthetic in order to be suitable for the portal. think of the portal like a professional gallery with a certain broad taste and style in mind. You wouldn't submit a water damaged sloppy piece of notebook paper to a gallery and stick it to the wall with scotch tape. Even ugly work has a certain presentation value to it. The vomit on the canvas is typically framed well and cleaned up to a certain degree so that nothing distracts from the vomit. The typical point of vomitting or defecating on a piece and selling it is that its a statement that under the right presentation even human waste can be considered art. But the key for its success is the presentation. When you don't crop your scanned image at all you aren't keeping proper presentation in mind for the requirements of this gallery.

the medium suggests where i was, based off of the math and the medium. (school, probably a math class.)

Yes that's what the lined paper and spiral says, but the empty scanner space suggest you were lazy or incompetent when it came to knowledge of cleaning up your image and properly presenting it under the constraints of the Newgrounds art portal.

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 21:29:51

Generally, when moderators give advice, you should take it.
And reproaching mods only works in the Lounge, and only jokingly.
It wasn't a threat, it was a piece of guidance that you probably should have heeded. There are rules and they have to be followed. People that don't follow the rules, or show contempt for said rules, are dealt with fairly and mercilessly.

Swing and a miss, better luck next time. Maybe you should aim to please.

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 21:51:06

Heil!

I really liked this sketch

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 21:54:37

At 3/4/10 09:12 PM, Spac3case916 wrote:
At 3/4/10 09:07 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:

and you may be a high level and even a moderator. But next time you decide to threaten someone, dont.

Holy shit, I have NEVER seen someone reapproach a mod like that, damn dude, that was a dumb move. Especially when advice was being given.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 21:57:38

At 3/4/10 09:54 PM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote: Holy shit, I have NEVER seen someone reapproach a mod like that, damn dude, that was a dumb move. Especially when advice was being given.

Holy shit, the echo in this thread is fucking unbelievable.

Response to Octopus 2010-03-04 23:58:04

I will never follow advice that i see as a threat. this whole discussion is opinion. Art is an opinion. That's why it is so hard to grade and set rules for it.
I could argue that everything has a meaning in this picture.

If you think you know what should and should not be in the portal, than fine. But, don't pretend like your ego is not a factor in your ruling.

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-05 00:05:23

At 3/4/10 09:07 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Hi have a HUGE problem with this being in the portal. It's a cool sketch and all, but the lined paper and visible notebook spiral?! Not so much. Please remove it and anything else like it from the portal (can stay uploaded, just uncheck the 'this is not a sketch" box), or you will be unscouted.

Thanks.

I disagree, a sketch is a quick piece of art usually done in that of 15 minutes. Just because he drew it on shit paper doesn't mean he should be unscouted, there was a legit amount of time spent on this. What if line paper was part of the compisition, or the message this octopus is sending? (Stay in school, perhaps?)

You should get better paper though dude, it would compliment your excellant artwork. ;D

Response to Octopus 2010-03-05 00:26:09

At 3/4/10 11:58 PM, Spac3case916 wrote: If you think you know what should and should not be in the portal, than fine.

We don't think, we KNOW what's allowed/not allowed in the portal. It's our job. The problem wasn't that it's on notebook paper, it's that you were too lazy to crop out all the extra scanner space and make your piece nicer to look at.

Pieces that are especially poorly photographed or not cropped properly are always booted to your userpage. Nae was just being nice and giving you the chance to do it yourself instead of one of us doing it for you. You just chose to be a dick about it and make it a big deal.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-05 00:27:26

I disagree, a sketch is a quick piece of art usually done in that of 15 minutes. Just because he drew it on shit paper doesn't mean he should be unscouted, there was a legit amount of time spent on this. What if line paper was part of the compisition, or the message this octopus is sending? (Stay in school, perhaps?)

You should get better paper though dude, it would compliment your excellant artwork. ;D

thanks you for the compliment and backing up my points. Unfortunately i have been unscouted.... oh well.

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-05 00:28:44

At 3/5/10 12:26 AM, Captain-Ben wrote:
At 3/4/10 11:58 PM, Spac3case916 wrote: If you think you know what should and should not be in the portal, than fine.
We don't think, we KNOW what's allowed/not allowed in the portal. It's our job. The problem wasn't that it's on notebook paper, it's that you were too lazy to crop out all the extra scanner space and make your piece nicer to look at.

Pieces that are especially poorly photographed or not cropped properly are always booted to your userpage. Nae was just being nice and giving you the chance to do it yourself instead of one of us doing it for you. You just chose to be a dick about it and make it a big deal.

thanks for the name calling.
I can see Newgrounds is in great hands with people like you shoving your big egos into every nook and cranny.

BBS Signature

Response to Octopus 2010-03-05 04:22:22

I'd like to publicly state that I take full responsibility for this situation... I should have just kicked the piece to his user page instead of asking... and worse, expecting... him to actually abide by the rules and remove it on his own like a mature, levelheaded adult. I realize now that I gave him way too much credit, and for that I am truly, deeply sorry. I hope everyone can forgive me for such a careless mistake. It won't happen again.

meh, who am I kidding... it will. I know there are still some good, decent people out there who deserve the benefit of the doubt. And I will give it to them :P

To avoid further incident, I'm going to lock this... the OP is welcome to make a new 'showcase' thread should he so choose.