00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ev1337 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anxiety (Short Story)

3,951 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 16:57:01

This is just a, very short, short story I wrote because I too deal with problems involving getting too nervous.

Anxiety

The agonizing anguish in Matthew Edwards' eyes would have been blatantly clear to a semi-observant onlooker, but was missed by his exuberant interviewer, who, being so transfixed on finally finding an adequate candidate, disregarded any indication that he didn't want to be there. Earlier that morning, the local weather man claimed that this would be the hottest day of the year, a year which was already one of the hottest on record in their southern Arizona town, but thankfully in the office where the job interview was being held, the air conditioning was working as properly as it had ever been, which did little to explain the damp perspiration crawling insidiously down Edwards' face.

If temperature didn't cause this, the second most likely culprit would be anxiety, but he should of had no reason to worry about acquiring this job; his résumé was far superior to any other candidate that Mr. Warton previously interviewed and most likely would be far superior to any that he would later, but the drops, who were now sliding down his cheeks, must have been unaware of this fact. The candidate had, at least so far, done everything perfectly; he answered every question eloquently and his replies were embellished with selective knowledge and when appropriate, careful wit. But if only he were not so nervous!

Every second he spent imprisoned in that office room distressed him even more until he could no longer bear it. In a matter of seconds he ended the horrible captivity, which in his peculiar mind seemed to last for hours. All he had to do was ask his oppressor, if he could take a brief break to compose himself and then never come back. If only escaping Alcatraz was this easy! After deceiving Mr. Warton, who was perplexed to why his eminent candidate felt the urge to adjourn this marvelous meeting, he gleefully left the office and started his descent to the outside world.

The door was only about twenty meters a way, the area that separated him from paradise was less than that of his patio. Step by jubilant step he rushed to his utopia and when the separation had shrunk to less than five meters and happiness was so near, a startling thought overcame him, he desperately needed this job. But he couldn't go back there, how could back to that ominous room and sit in that treacherous chair and speak to that, at least in his mind, intimating man, but he, for the sake of continuing to put food on the table, felt impelled to ascertain this job. Never before had he been in such a state of ambivalence.

For a while he just sat there and he pondered the idea of just sitting there for the rest of his life longer than a normal man should. But, if he just sat there for eternity, not only would he lose any chance of acquiring the position, but he would never be able to again enter the lush, green, and beautiful outside world. So now was the time for decisiveness and decisive he was. He lifted himself up, albeit slowly, from the cold wooden floor and in an even slower manner than his initial ascend, he returned to his hell. The stride there would have made Aesop's tortoise proud, and when he finallyarrived in front of foreboding door whose powerful dark color and heaviness symbolized what would await him, he with all the strength he could muster, opened the door and resumed the interview.

Needless to say Matthew Edwards got the job.

I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing

Than teach 10,000 stars how not to dance.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 17:13:56

The wording in this was beautifully done and the emotion was felt. Wonderful. One thing, however: you never described him as falling to the floor but you do describe him getting up. Perhaps you should mention him falling to the floor?

Failure should push you until success can pull you.

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 17:17:37

At 2/6/10 05:13 PM, TrevorW wrote: The wording in this was beautifully done and the emotion was felt. Wonderful. One thing, however: you never described him as falling to the floor but you do describe him getting up. Perhaps you should mention him falling to the floor?

Maybe it was a bit unclear, but never fell to the floor; he merely sat down and didn't want to get up which was described in the story. Thanks for the praise on my writing! :)

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 17:42:10

Nicely written piece, but I have to say it was quite...un interesting.

It just seemed so downright boring, it was hard to read. Try to capture the reader's attention, I felt like I was reading an example of why people think reading's boring.

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 17:44:42

At 2/6/10 05:42 PM, 372 wrote: Nicely written piece, but I have to say it was quite...un interesting.

It just seemed so downright boring, it was hard to read. Try to capture the reader's attention, I felt like I was reading an example of why people think reading's boring.

See I thought the emotion was well explained. -- I think that was the only goal.

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 17:48:26

At 2/6/10 05:42 PM, 372 wrote: Nicely written piece, but I have to say it was quite...un interesting.

Well it's not the most intersting piece, but rarely is life that interesting. I mean how often do you come across murders and dragons and zombies in every day life? This is just a simple story that people can sort of relate to.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 17:50:13

At 2/6/10 05:48 PM, Dubbi wrote:
Well it's not the most intersting piece, but rarely is life that interesting. I mean how often do you come across murders and dragons and zombies in every day life? This is just a simple story that people can sort of relate to.

It depicts a emotion. That's enough.

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 17:56:09

At 2/6/10 05:48 PM, Dubbi wrote:

I guess, I know where you're coming from, but writing is writing, not real life, there are no boundaries. Thats why its great ya know? Who wants to read about "nothing special"?

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 18:04:08

I don't agree that it's boring. What it's lacking in rising action it makes up for in being insightful into the mind of someone with chronic anxiety. Coming from a family with a long history of anxiety disorders, I can say that this is pretty much spot on. The detail and voice in it is beautifully done.

The one thing I would suggest doing is going into more detail about what his circumstances are. That is, paint a more intricate picture of what's pressuring him to getting the job so the reader can better understand the tug of war that's going on.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 18:11:50

At 2/6/10 05:56 PM, 372 wrote:

You are young so I will give you credit, but understand that every piece of writing will not be a story per say. Many (and most of the most respected pieces) focus on human nature and describe it in such a detailed way that it becomes insightful.

The story is not boring. Sure it does not have action in it but it DOES have conflict -- a very real conflict. I think you will see this as you age.

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 18:13:51

At 2/6/10 06:04 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: I don't agree that it's boring. What it's lacking in rising action it makes up for in being insightful into the mind of someone with chronic anxiety. Coming from a family with a long history of anxiety disorders, I can say that this is pretty much spot on. The detail and voice in it is beautifully done.

The one thing I would suggest doing is going into more detail about what his circumstances are. That is, paint a more intricate picture of what's pressuring him to getting the job so the reader can better understand the tug of war that's going on.

My own dealings with anxiety assisted me in writing the story so that's why the protaginest's anxiety disorder is pretty accurate, although I don't suffer from it to the same extent nor have I ever aplied for a job. So, I'm glad that an actual victum of chronic anxiety enjoyed my work. In retrospect I guess I should have put more detail as to why he needs the job, that would improve the story, thanks for advice! :)

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 18:25:59

This was actually a very good piece. Sure it didn't get the blood pumping, but for what I'm pretty sure the author intended, it does it's job well. The words chosen, and they way they were laid out gave a good account of a fairly normal day in the life of someone who has to fight against his own anxiety to get what he needs.

There are only a few things I feel like I should point out. The story starts with: "The agonizing anguish". I feel that agonizing isn't really needed. It seems like a spot of overly thick paint on a wall.

The other bit was that it was fairly unclear that the protagonist was not standing when you had him get up from the floor. The way you wrote it, it sounds as if he had been laying though, despite that you say he was sitting.

Those two things are the only points to improve I really noticed. Well done. Thank you for sharing.

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 18:31:43

At 2/6/10 06:11 PM, TrevorW wrote: The story is not boring. Sure it does not have action in it but it DOES have conflict -- a very real conflict. I think you will see this as you age.

Yeah, social commentary - or in this case, emotional commentary - becomes more and more interesting and appealing as you get to know more about the particular issue. The more you know about people, the more you connect better to this sort of writing.

At 2/6/10 06:13 PM, Dubbi wrote: So, I'm glad that an actual victum of chronic anxiety enjoyed my work.

Yeah, my sister and my mother have it pretty bad, so I've grown up around that. And I have my own anxieties around trust which have led me into situations that feel like this. It can also always help to seek out anecdotes, blogs, stories, etc of people who suffer or deal with whatever issue you're writing about (as you mentioned not having had a job interview or extreme anxiety).

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 20:09:00

At 2/6/10 06:25 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: This was actually a very good piece. Sure it didn't get the blood pumping, but for what I'm pretty sure the author intended, it does it's job well. The words chosen, and they way they were laid out gave a good account of a fairly normal day in the life of someone who has to fight against his own anxiety to get what he needs.

There are only a few things I feel like I should point out. The story starts with: "The agonizing anguish". I feel that agonizing isn't really needed. It seems like a spot of overly thick paint on a wall.

The other bit was that it was fairly unclear that the protagonist was not standing when you had him get up from the floor. The way you wrote it, it sounds as if he had been laying though, despite that you say he was sitting.

Those two things are the only points to improve I really noticed. Well done. Thank you for sharing.

Actually a very good piece? I sense a bit of disrespect, but I preume any disrespct was unintended. As for the "agonizing" bit, it was the first sentence and I wanted to reel the reader in, but I do see what you're saying. In regards to the issue about him sitting, I thought it was pretty clear because I said sitting or sat about three times. Never did I say lay and even if he was laying he'd still have to pick himself up so I don't really see what the difference is. Well I'm glad you liked it. :)

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 20:22:52

I apologize, I didn't intend to sound disrespectful at all. Just a way I start posts sometimes. I should break that little habit...

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 20:50:06

That was a really good short story. I mean really, the first paragraph put me in to the chair of Mr. Edwards as he is sitting there, worrying his soul out about his interview. With all of this, you can sort of have a picture of what is going on in the mind of a person who is going through an anxious situation. And the ending is great - it really shows that if you're able to push through the pain and worry, you'll be able to accomplish any goal you've set for yourself.

Short stories with a well pointed out meaning are probably the best kind of dessert.

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-06 21:15:32

I wasn't confused by the sitting part. I didn't think it was unclear.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-07 10:47:21

Not the world's most interesting piece in the world, but it does show that you can write about emotions fairly successfully. So if it was meant to be an experiment in emotional writing, you certainly succeeded.

Hey, flash artists, want an idea? Check this out: The Scarecrew

And everyone, please check out the latest humorous spy serial, The Frank Keretta Stories

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-07 12:41:37

mine is wayyyyy better... ter once was a freak who wrote a poem who no one realy gives a damn. lol jk

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-07 13:16:39

Very descriptive, but thats all it really was, sure it was an internal struggle but I felt that after rereading it anxiety was just a safety net, something we all know about to make the story have more impact, which isn't bad lots of writers do it but if you characterized anxiety a little better it would make this good story great.

Response to Anxiety (Short Story) 2010-02-07 13:44:58

At 2/7/10 01:16 PM, JackDGreatest wrote: Very descriptive, but thats all it really was, sure it was an internal struggle but I felt that after rereading it anxiety was just a safety net, something we all know about to make the story have more impact, which isn't bad lots of writers do it but if you characterized anxiety a little better it would make this good story great.

I understand what you're saying about literary "saftey nets", but I'd have to disagree in regards to my story falling under the dreaded "saftey net". The entire story was about anxiety, anxiety wasn't just something I added to enhance the story, it was intrinsic to the story. Furthermore, the subject of anxiety wasn't just one I chose frivolously, it was chosen because of the problems it has caused me. You see I have dealed with it all my life, and writing this story was a way to vent.

-- ee cummings

BBS Signature