00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LightyJaeger just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How bad this is

929 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How bad this is 2010-01-28 15:08:52

Here is my latest work, in modeling clay. Done as a way to visualize what it would looks like before creating it in 3D. Will probably be in a short movie at the end of the semester

if you wonder what it is, it's a mecanical insect, of some sort lol

now, I'm wondering if my stuff is so bad it's not even worth beeing scouted? kinda weird really, got scouted, then unscouted, scouted then unscouted (over a year I think).. I don't get it. I read the rules, DONT ASK TO BE SCOUTED and stuff, but never posted anyting outside the rules, nor any of my images were deleted.

anyway, what do you ppl think, should I keep posting stuff or it's really not worth spending much effort at my skill level on newgrounds art portal?

cheers !
^_^

How bad this is

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 15:12:58

well personally i really like it, the level of detail is really good and it looks like it took you a fair amount of time, good work keep going

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 15:13:09

It's............AMAZIN' ...AWESOME Dude! I'm speechless!!

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 15:18:42

I like it, but I am amazed by anything sculpture-related because I can't sculpt to save my life. I say keep it up, you've got a really good eye for detail :]

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 15:34:06

You definitely deserve to be scouted, being unscouted could be from a number of things you yourself didn't do, such as someone who scouted you did something wrong and got unscouted, you get unscouted. or someone you scouted, etc.
3d I don't care much for really, but sculptures I like. The level of detail and the texture you put into this is fantastic, do you ever paint your models after you sculpt them?

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 15:38:00

I think you should stick to this clay modeling rather than digital 3d... you seem to have a way better grasp of textures in your clay stuff... I have never really been the one to enjoy digital 3d.. granted; the 3rd and the 7this a marvel, but in general I prefer real sculptures....

dont worry too much about being scouted
post your other work in this thread too plz.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 15:41:18

That is amazing. How long has it taken you so far? cant wait to see the work that results from it

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 16:01:56

Yeah that's amazing work. you have to be scouted.

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 16:20:21

To answer your question, no, I don't paint them cauz it's oil based clay.. : ) I did one accesory in color tho, using colored sculptey but else than that.. I'm really starting doing sculptures and all, it's my 5th so far. In 3D, I will be able to texture it much better with color and everything, but yeah, I really like sculpture too ^_^

It's a shame in the video game industry they don't sculpt much (that's where I'm going, hopefully), I'll have to get better at 3D.. : )

At 1/28/10 03:34 PM, M-Vero wrote: You definitely deserve to be scouted, being unscouted could be from a number of things you yourself didn't do, such as someone who scouted you did something wrong and got unscouted, you get unscouted. or someone you scouted, etc.
3d I don't care much for really, but sculptures I like. The level of detail and the texture you put into this is fantastic, do you ever paint your models after you sculpt them?

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 16:32:27

People say they like the detail on it. i can't see much in the way of detail Mainly because of the design. I think the design is brilliant btw. But what make it an outstanding model is the execution, smooth cut edges.

Truly outstanding, keep on the forum your quality is far better than a lot of artists on here and there isn't much analogue 3D work around here.

BBS Signature

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 16:38:00

:') Wow... this is.. soo good.

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 17:31:25

Thanks for pointing out there isn't much details. I was too, wondering why people said there is details.. in real life it does have some reptile like texture (go figure, I just used the same tool to make it as the other sculpture), but still it's pretty basic. I planned on adding the rest in Mudbox (digital sculpting software) with color texture and diffuse/specular stuff

thanks btw, I like reviews like that.. : )

I'll post the other sculpture of the same project (but different subject) if you like, but it's on my userpage so It feels a bit repetitive, maybe with the inside sculpture and early 3d, that would be ok I guess

At 1/28/10 04:32 PM, Lemmiwinks91 wrote: People say they like the detail on it. i can't see much in the way of detail Mainly because of the design. I think the design is brilliant btw. But what make it an outstanding model is the execution, smooth cut edges.

Truly outstanding, keep on the forum your quality is far better than a lot of artists on here and there isn't much analogue 3D work around here.

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 17:42:56

At 1/28/10 05:31 PM, Sword2edge wrote: Thanks for pointing out there isn't much details. I was too, wondering why people said there is details.. in real life it does have some reptile like texture (go figure, I just used the same tool to make it as the other sculpture), but still it's pretty basic. I planned on adding the rest in Mudbox (digital sculpting software) with color texture and diffuse/specular stuff

I'll post the other sculpture of the same project (but different subject) if you like, but it's on my userpage so It feels a bit repetitive, maybe with the inside sculpture and early 3d, that would be ok I guess

Thanks, I just had to re-read my review and realise how terrible my grammar is/was! :(

How do you get a clay model onto mudbox? A 3d scanner? I've heard mudbox is like drawing in 3D so you can use a tablet. I've just gone to check out your art but i'd keep posting here as well, people seem to really digg your stuff. I know it's repetitive i'm uploading work and i'm going to put it on my deviantArt mainly and a few bits here on NG.

BBS Signature

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 17:59:45

Grammar? what's that? = p

now, for the sculpture, yes, I was hoping to get the clay 3d scanned but just received the evaluation price today.. it's freaking 500$ for two sculptures, with bare minimal details .. o.O I was then hoping I could remodel it in maya using the scanned data as a reference, and then use that new 3d shape (much lower in geometry resolution) in mudbox for final details (and export them as normal maps instead of geometry), texture and stuff.

Yes you could use the scanned data directly in mudbox and continue modify it and texture it, but I can't work like that cauz I need to animate it, and scanned data/direct mudbox models are too high in geometry resolution (millions polygons). Dunno if it makes any sense

So I have to use the traditionnal way of doing things, take top/front/side photos, put 'em in Maya, model it back in 3D and then import that into Mudbox and then add the details... it's fairly tedious work, but anyway in video game industry, that's mostly how it's done: top/side/front drawings then directly modeled in 3D front the drawings.

At 1/28/10 05:42 PM, Lemmiwinks91 wrote:
At 1/28/10 05:31 PM, Sword2edge wrote: Thanks for pointing out there isn't much details. I was too, wondering why people said there is details.. in real life it does have some reptile like texture (go figure, I just used the same tool to make it as the other sculpture), but still it's pretty basic. I planned on adding the rest in Mudbox (digital sculpting software) with color texture and diffuse/specular stuff

Thanks, I just had to re-read my review and realise how terrible my grammar is/was! :(

How do you get a clay model onto mudbox? A 3d scanner? I've heard mudbox is like drawing in 3D so you can use a tablet. I've just gone to check out your art but i'd keep posting here as well, people seem to really digg your stuff. I know it's repetitive i'm uploading work and i'm going to put it on my deviantArt mainly and a few bits here on NG.

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 18:42:07

Paint that shit and I would contemplate wearing a picture of it as a hat.

But really that is really fuckin' good bro.

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to How bad this is 2010-01-28 18:47:37

At 1/28/10 05:59 PM, Sword2edge wrote: Grammar? what's that? = p

now, for the sculpture, yes, I was hoping to get the clay 3d scanned but just received the evaluation price today.. it's freaking 500$ for two sculptures, with bare minimal details .. o.O I was then hoping I could remodel it in maya using the scanned data as a reference, and then use that new 3d shape (much lower in geometry resolution) in mudbox for final details (and export them as normal maps instead of geometry), texture and stuff.

Yes you could use the scanned data directly in mudbox and continue modify it and texture it, but I can't work like that cauz I need to animate it, and scanned data/direct mudbox models are too high in geometry resolution (millions polygons). Dunno if it makes any sense

So I have to use the traditionnal way of doing things, take top/front/side photos, put 'em in Maya, model it back in 3D and then import that into Mudbox and then add the details... it's fairly tedious work, but anyway in video game industry, that's mostly how it's done: top/side/front drawings then directly modeled in 3D front the drawings.

Dang man. Thats some harsh prices! lol, i'm a rookie at 3D modeling on pc's but i know polygons and front/back/side thing. I was going to take up games design at university last year but i copped out and taking up animation this following september. Even though i still am interested in the games industry. I know if i do animation i will have to use Maya at some point for 3D models and animations, so i will need to get better rapidly.

Thanks for the replies. It's really interesting.

BBS Signature