00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

vestik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Feedback? Plz... Anyone?

1,087 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-21 10:40:29

So I did this drawing on Painter 4 the other day. And I realized I know pretty much nothing about coloring or layers and that most of the time I just play around with the program until I come up with something which looks...decent.

I wanna get more comments on coloring and I how should color stuff (tutorials?) because I really am a noob when it comes to that. I've also been having some trouble with shading :(

Help will be much appreciated!

Feedback? Plz... Anyone?

Only Apples Have The Right To be Red

MY DEVIANTART GALLERY

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-21 10:59:27

Well, if you want to do shading, the Art101 tutorial for it is great.

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-21 12:08:50

At 1/21/10 10:59 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Well, if you want to do shading, the Art101 tutorial for it is great.

That's not really what I meant, I think I know how to shade (lighting etc') what I would like to learn is how to transfer the things I learned using traditional media into digital work.

(those tutorials are fun to read)

MY DEVIANTART GALLERY

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-21 18:27:30

At 1/21/10 12:08 PM, IDuDe wrote:
At 1/21/10 10:59 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Well, if you want to do shading, the Art101 tutorial for it is great.
That's not really what I meant, I think I know how to shade (lighting etc') what I would like to learn is how to transfer the things I learned using traditional media into digital work.

First, you need a program. Photoshop is the generally accepted program of choice. I personally use Corel Painter. You take the scanned image and open it with the program, then what you want to do takes over from there.
What might you need help with, precisely?

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-22 05:39:13

At 1/21/10 06:27 PM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 1/21/10 12:08 PM, IDuDe wrote:

First, you need a program. Photoshop is the generally accepted program of choice. I personally use Corel Painter. You take the scanned image and open it with the program, then what you want to do takes over from there.
What might you need help with, precisely?

Well I use Corel Painter Essentials 4 as well, precisely I would like to find out a few good techniques on coloring, like a good professional way to use layers/masks and what not... And really on how to get that good polished professional look.

MY DEVIANTART GALLERY

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-22 08:16:06

At 1/21/10 10:40 AM, IDuDe wrote: So I did this drawing on Painter 4 the other day.

Unfortunately there don't seem to be many useful tutorials for Painter 4 online, at least from the search I've just done. I work almost exclusively in Photoshop CS2. If you decide to move on to Photoshop, there are many more tutorials and people here that could help you with techniques and whatnot. Sorry if this comment was no help at all - I'm a bit of a PS pusher. :P

Very interesting drawing by the way!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-22 10:02:56

At 1/22/10 08:16 AM, CosmicDeath wrote:
At 1/21/10 10:40 AM, IDuDe wrote: So I did this drawing on Painter 4 the other day.
Unfortunately there don't seem to be many useful tutorials for Painter 4 online, at least from the search I've just done. I work almost exclusively in Photoshop CS2. If you decide to move on to Photoshop, there are many more tutorials and people here that could help you with techniques and whatnot. Sorry if this comment was no help at all - I'm a bit of a PS pusher. :P

Very interesting drawing by the way!!!

Actually I do have Photoshop CS3, I tried to check It out a while ago, but there are just so many options and special affects and what not, that just got confused and gave up... I'm sure that if I stick to it I can work it out, but unfortunately I'm kinda lazy.

thx for the comment by the way!!!

MY DEVIANTART GALLERY

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-22 10:44:11

At 1/22/10 10:02 AM, IDuDe wrote: Actually I do have Photoshop CS3, I tried to check It out a while ago, but there are just so many options and special affects and what not, that just got confused and gave up... I'm sure that if I stick to it I can work it out, but unfortunately I'm kinda lazy.

Yeah, all the effects can be intimidating. The best thing to do is work with the basics in photoshop, line tool, pen tool, paint bucket, and just get a handle using those things. Over time, when you feel comfortable, you can start messing around with other features.

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-22 11:05:02

At 1/22/10 10:44 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Yeah, all the effects can be intimidating. The best thing to do is work with the basics in photoshop, line tool, pen tool, paint bucket, and just get a handle using those things. Over time, when you feel comfortable, you can start messing around with other features.

^ This. I use Photoshop for coloring and rarely touch anything other than the default brushes, and sometimes a motion blur filter. 9/10 of the filters in Photoshop are useless and will make your art look cheap, and you don't really need to get into all of the different layer options to produce a decent looking piece of art. There's a million digital painting tutorials on the web for Photoshop - I don't know anything at all about Painter 4, but I'm sure you could translate some of the techniques to it if you really want to use that program instead of Photoshop, since there don't seem to be many tutorials for Painter 4 floating around.

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-22 13:35:12

At 1/22/10 11:05 AM, altrian wrote: since there don't seem to be many tutorials for Painter 4 floating around.

How come? I thought Corel Painter 4 is a pretty popular program?

MY DEVIANTART GALLERY

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-29 09:20:02

Since I'm not getting any comments I thought I could maybe get some feedback on a new painting.
Please ignore the "anatomy" problems and the overall retardation of the painting and focus more on the coloring (that's what I looking to improve)

Corel Painter Essentials 4
about 1 or 2 hours of work

Feedback? Plz... Anyone?

MY DEVIANTART GALLERY

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-29 09:23:31

MY DEVIANTART GALLERY

Response to Feedback? Plz... Anyone? 2010-01-29 10:12:46

At 1/29/10 09:20 AM, IDuDe wrote: Since I'm not getting any comments I thought I could maybe get some feedback on a new painting.
Please ignore the "anatomy" problems and the overall retardation of the painting and focus more on the coloring (that's what I looking to improve)

Corel Painter Essentials 4
about 1 or 2 hours of work

hmm coloring huh?
well id say its fairly okayish.... you could use some darker shades to give it a little bit more depth, Besides that the major problem is the fuzzyness. its all very blurred, which doesnt make it look like real fur... I dont know about corel painter, but in photoshop you can quite easily make quite convincing fur brushes. I assume this is possible in corel too.
what you do is you make a brush like on the left in picture below. make sure the "spacing" is low, so that it makes stripes, and not a lot of dots. use pressure sensitivity et voila...
mind that you should use smaller dots to get smaller hairs.

Feedback? Plz... Anyone?

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature