00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CHLmac just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

5 Shades of Orange Collab!

13,198 Views | 196 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-15 10:40:42

Many moons ago, a collaboration series began that would one day live in Newgrounds History. Now, it has returned!
Welcome everyone, to the latest 5 Shades Collab! Those of you who remember the collabs may remember me as Space_Chicken, and after 5 Shades of Purple I was SUPPOSED to take over for mynamewontfitin and continue things in his brilliant footsteps. How long ago was that? Yeah, it doesn't matter, what matters is the here and now and that 5 Shades is back in action! Don't worry, myname still approves of this, I made sure.

Get Your CS3 File Template (including color palette) by right clicking here and selecting "Save As"

Get Your Flash 8 File Template (including color palette) by right clicking here and selecting "Save As"

MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL THE RULES!%u2028
Rules:%u2028
-600x400 canvas size (not flash default, be aware)
%u2028-24 FPS%u2028
-BG Color (canvas color): #FCEBE0%u2028
-Only Colors allowed to be used are:%u2028#FCEBE0 #F1A674 #E86A17 #8B400E #361805
%u2028-Break all fonts (select a font and press Ctrl+B a few times)%u2028
-Stream all sounds
%u2028-Put everything into a movieclip before sending and center it on the stage.
%u2028-Name your symbols uniquely. Example: JKR_orangeDragon
%u2028- Gradients and Alphas are allowed! No black and white, however.%u2028
- There will be a vote at the end to determine who will be included.
- Time limit: None, but preferably more than 5 seconds and under 3 minutes.
- Please try to keep file sizes reasonable by optimizing your work :)

Theme Word:%u2028"Ring" (Interpret it as you see fit!)

Deadline:%u2028November 29th, 2009 at 11:59 PM (Earlier is better so people can help you improve things up until the deadline!) It is not too late to enter until that day, so even if you find this November 24th you can still join in! All are welcome.

When you have something to show, go ahead and show it! People love to see progress, and it's a great motivator to share what you're working on. I've got a few pieces of art started and will share them next week.
Any questions, feel free to e-mail me. Or better yetjust ask 'em right here!%u2028
You can also go to the Official 5 Shades of Orange Thread on the Fred the Monkey forums for further details and advice.
And the color palette:

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-15 10:42:45

Gah, for some reason it added weird symbols into the first post. Could a Mod help me out here and remove them? Appreciated!

Also here is a 5 Shades of Orange signature if you'd like to use it and help spread the word!

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-15 12:20:23

im a useless animator, but i might be able to do a preloader?

AS2||AS3||Motox

Thanks to hdxmike for the sig :]

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-15 12:27:05

Hmm... maybe...
I was waiting for Orange to come up as a 5 Shader back when mynamewontfitin was heading the group, but I've not animated in years... still, can't hurt to try.

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-15 12:37:02

so u want people to animate sumthin and then vote after they are all in? i dont think i would jump onto this unless i knew my part would get in.

Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-15 13:17:22

You must have a penis size of at least 2.0 inches to start a collab

TOPIC LOCKED

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-15 14:48:19

At 10/15/09 12:46 PM, hashbrown wrote:
At 10/15/09 12:37 PM, RedHarvest wrote: so u want people to animate sumthin and then vote after they are all in? i dont think i would jump onto this unless i knew my part would get in.
well thats better than how some of the more popular collabs were handled in th olden days where the person who designed the collab got to pick who made it in. I think competition can only make your animation skills stronger

Right, that's the theory, hashbrown!

The good news is that there will be a lot of slots to be filled in the end, so as long as you make something snazzy, your chances are pretty good. But I do understand what you mean RedHarvest. I know back during the other 5 Shade Collabs I was worried about the same thing. So I just made sure to make it freaking AWESOME so no one could resist voting for my hard work. In fact, I'd wager without the "competition" aspect, my entries in the other colors would never have been as good. I'd have settled instead of pushing that extra bit. :)

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-15 15:39:04

Hmm..I'm more comfortable as a programmer then an animator and I'm usually uninterested in collabs, but I remember watching how nicely the previous versions of this collab turned(5 shades of purple, 5 shades of green) so I'm going to give this one a shot.
Add me to the list.

:'(

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-15 21:57:13

I'll definitely try one. When I finish it, who do I send it to? (not that I'll be finishing any time soon)

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-16 12:33:15

At 10/15/09 09:57 PM, NpPro93 wrote: I'll definitely try one. When I finish it, who do I send it to? (not that I'll be finishing any time soon)

You can send it to me via email if that's easiest for you. The best place to send it would be dm@fredthemonkey.com when you're all done. Or if you have a place to upload the file I can just get it from there. Good luck! And if you can, post your progress so it will inspire everyone else involved. I know in the old 5 Shades threads I was always fired up after I saw someone give a preview of what they were working on.

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-16 19:45:11

Hm, this sounds fun. I will probably join.

Reading this signature has been proven to cause brain damage.

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-17 20:58:29

Ah, thanks for reposting it without the weird symbols, ughanation. I wish I could have just edited it out, but alas, I'll know for future to be careful about writing a thread in Word and then pasting it in I guess.

Happy to have all the folks on board who have posted. I'm looking forward to seeing what you all are planning on doing for this one!

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-17 21:03:09

I haven't done flash in a while, but i'm pretty up for it !

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-17 22:52:25

I'm joining, as a command from Techno.

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-17 23:29:20

Duck, yeah! I wanted to join one of these way back when, but I was too young in those times.
Count me as "working/planning" if you want status

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-18 14:50:58

Erm, bump? C'mon!

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-18 15:34:27

Lol spam.

:Þ

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-18 16:50:25

I have a quick question, I plan to use some form of vcam, Would it be allowed? If so, what actionscript version?

also, I have this so far, ok? You like?
http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/2809/497 85_five_orange_preview.php

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-19 02:03:39

I spent an hour on my 5 Shades of Orange piece last night and I'll post a link after I get a bit more of it done.
I really can't think of a story and am having a bit of trouble trying to get 'ring' to fit in somewhere.

Does it matter what type of audio we include??

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-19 11:39:00

At 10/18/09 04:50 PM, farfenwaffle wrote: I have a quick question, I plan to use some form of vcam, Would it be allowed? If so, what actionscript version?

Looking good so far! You'll have to forgive me, I'm not familiar with vcam. What does it entail? I suppose it shouldn't be a problem as long as the AS is 3.0 and doesn't interfere with any of the other animations or menus. Feel free to explain it further, but I don't think it will be an issue.

At 10/19/09 02:03 AM, CloudEater wrote: I spent an hour on my 5 Shades of Orange piece last night and I'll post a link after I get a bit more of it done.
I really can't think of a story and am having a bit of trouble trying to get 'ring' to fit in somewhere.

Does it matter what type of audio we include??

What do you mean by "type of audio"?

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-19 13:46:48

I definitely like the sound of this, but I'll make a preview before you make your decision about my acceptance.

Click my sig for a hilarious thread.

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-19 14:55:22

I don't want to be "that guy" but I made a pretty amusing penis-related joke above and I think it deserves just a little attention

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-19 15:25:59

At 10/19/09 01:46 PM, Wolfears2 wrote: I definitely like the sound of this, but I'll make a preview before you make your decision about my acceptance.

Oh it isn't up to me. Anyone is welcome to join. At the end there will be a vote for final spots, like the previous 5 Shades Collabs. The trick is to make it awesome so you secure yourself a spot in the final group. But previews are always awesome to share anyway, so I look forward to it. :)

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-19 17:38:39

At 10/19/09 11:39 AM, JKR wrote:
At 10/18/09 04:50 PM, farfenwaffle wrote: I have a quick question, I plan to use some form of vcam, Would it be allowed? If so, what actionscript version?

Looking good so far! You'll have to forgive me, I'm not familiar with vcam. What does it entail? I suppose it shouldn't be a problem as long as the AS is 3.0 and doesn't interfere with any of the other animations or menus. Feel free to explain it further, but I don't think it will be an issue.

A vcam is just a helpful tool for close ups and animated cameras, it is a rectangle that everything enclosed shows up, like the white box that comes with flash, if you are unsure about it check it out here

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-20 04:40:27

At 10/19/09 11:39 AM, JKR wrote: Looking good so far! You'll have to forgive me, I'm not familiar with vcam. What does it entail? I suppose it shouldn't be a problem as long as the AS is 3.0 and doesn't interfere with any of the other animations or menus. Feel free to explain it further, but I don't think it will be an issue.

Not that I'm complaining, but you've given us a template for Flash 8 users, who wouldn't be able to code particle effects and the like (or use thier own V-Cam) in a project where AS3 is mandatory.

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-20 07:38:47

At 10/19/09 02:03 AM, CloudEater wrote: Does it matter what type of audio we include??

Sorry I probably should have asked that better.
Are we allowed to use any music (Copyrighted), voice acting or explict words?

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-20 14:52:30

At 10/20/09 04:40 AM, KaynSlamdyke wrote:
At 10/19/09 11:39 AM, JKR wrote: Looking good so far! You'll have to forgive me, I'm not familiar with vcam. What does it entail? I suppose it shouldn't be a problem as long as the AS is 3.0 and doesn't interfere with any of the other animations or menus. Feel free to explain it further, but I don't think it will be an issue.
Not that I'm complaining, but you've given us a template for Flash 8 users, who wouldn't be able to code particle effects and the like (or use thier own V-Cam) in a project where AS3 is mandatory.

Ah, that's a good point. It's true that I will be compiling this all with Actionscript 3.0 using Flash CS3. If you are using AS 2.0, I don't think it would work. Unless I can call it remotely, which is something we did in previous 5 Shade Collabs. Does anyone know if you can call a SWF file that uses 2.0 into a Flash CS3 project and have it work/run properly?

At 10/20/09 07:38 AM, CloudEater wrote:
At 10/19/09 02:03 AM, CloudEater wrote: Does it matter what type of audio we include??
Sorry I probably should have asked that better.
Are we allowed to use any music (Copyrighted), voice acting or explict words?

Gotcha, gotcha. Well, if you want to use the copyrighted music it's up to you. I know I don't personally as a rule, so not only do I never have to have things threatened to be taken down by the original creators, but also so I have the ability to sell anything I do if I ever decide to. I leave that up to you, though.

As far as explicit audio or text, I really would prefer we keep this project clean so more people can enjoy it. So let's stick with non-explicit. If you'd like to use audio that contains explicit language, I can probably bleep it out if you are set on using that song or whatever. Otherwise maybe just plan on not using it from the get go. Sorry I didn't explain that in the first post. :)

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-20 14:58:51

Audio would be a track consisting of only 5 unique notes!

BBS Signature

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-20 15:41:36

I REALLY wanna do something for this. I've been trying, but I just can't seem to come up with anything.
I think my brain is broked! :'(

Response to 5 Shades of Orange Collab! 2009-10-20 16:22:15

At 10/20/09 03:41 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: I REALLY wanna do something for this. I've been trying, but I just can't seem to come up with anything.
I think my brain is broked! :'(

If anyone has to come up with something, it's you! Yours was probably the best in Shades of Green!! :)

What I did was go to the dictionary here and read the list of definitions. Suddenly a LOT of ideas sprang to mind. Too many. I had to cut most and start story-boarding my final plan so I wouldn't get side tracked...

Now that I think about it, that's probably a little weird. I came up with the theme word without having an idea in my head to start. Ah well.

BBS Signature