00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

out-of-pocket just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Freeware Games Thread

18,084 Views | 137 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-19 01:30:20

Let's face it, if you've gotten tired of rotting on your Xbox all day, can't seem to run TF2 without it crashing every time you start it up, and are bored with nothing to do, freeware games is the coolest guy around.

Before you start bitching about how I should've searched first, this thread is a bit different then the others, being that it has a set of

=======
RULES
=======

1. No posting games that you have to fork over the $ for. The world is economically not so hot right now, making us all cheap bastards, so post a game that we can get free of charge.

2. SWEEP FOR VIRUSES. Make sure that the game you link doesn't contain any harmful software. None of use want our data screwed over because you tried to give us something to do with our spare time.

3. "Freeware" means more than just a completed game. You can also link abandonware and demos as long as you follow the format (given below)

======================
FORMATTING
======================

When posting a recommendation for a game, you must follow the format below:

Title: Title of game (i.e. "Bob's Adventure")
Genre: The genre of the game (platformer, RPG, FPS, etc.)
Description: A quick little description of the game ("Bob's adventure is a fun RPG where you play as a young wizard named Bob whose hometown was burned down by an evil dragon. You must traverse through a diverse landscape and fight a multitude of creatures in order to defeat the dragon.")
Why you should download it: Give some reasons why it would be worth the players' time to play this game (i.e. innovative battle system, excellent art, cool physics, etc.)
Link to game: Give a link to where one might download the game you're posting.

And lastly, make sure to include a picture of the game.

To start this thread, I'll kick it off with a recommendation of my own.
========================================
=============================

Title: Synaesthete
Genre: Rhythm
Description: The story is a bit abstract for this one, but here's the main point: You play as Zaikman, guardian of the collective unconsious. In order to defeat each level, you need defeat all of the enemies in each of the areas of the level. You cannot move past one area until you defeat all the enemies in it.

Gameplay revolves around an object in the middle of your screen: The tracker. Throughout the level, that level's song will play. Notes will fall to the rhythm of that song. In order to defeat the enemies, you need to hit at least one of the color notes to the beat, which will cause Zaikman to shoot a lazer at them. To avoid being hit by the enemies, you can move around with the WASD keys.

It's a blast to play, and easily one of the best rhythem games currently available.
Why you should download it: Synaesthete has an excellent techno soundtrack, and the blend of movement, rhythm, and enemies makes for a challenging yet refreshing take on the genre.

Thanks aplenty to Phobotech for the great user icon.

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-19 01:32:16

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-19 01:34:27

At 8/19/09 01:32 AM, The777Demon wrote: Would titles considered as abandonware be qualified to be posted in this thread?

As I said before, yes, as long as you follow the given format.

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-19 02:12:57

Here's a quickie:

Title: No More Plumbers Episode 1

Genre: Platformer - Hack n' Slash - Fangame

Description: A hilarious fangame where you play as Mario, who wants to buy the newest NES game, but can't afford it. He ends up meeting this chick at a bar who gives him a job doing plumbing at her castle. It's a bloody fun romp, much in the style of No More Heroes, as the name suggests, and uses pixel-shaders heavily.

Why you should download it: The colorful graphics, excellent pixel-shading, and insane action are fun to look at, and even better to experience. Beside some minor setbacks like blood-lag, this is a great game you should not miss out on.

Download link: http://www.create-games.com/download.asp ?id=7886

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-19 04:08:18

Title: Elona
Genre: Roguelike rpg(hint, you might get killed, a lot).
Description: Didn't really pay attention to the storyline, but mostly, you got the usual, you are the person who has to kill some other guy, but you can take your time, or do whatever you want. It does have some engrish(the person who made this game, original version is japanese, but this is very good in translation) humor.
Why you should download it: You saw the whatever you want thing? Want to eat something but you have a few raw equipment you don't need(you do have to eat to survive), eat the raw equipment. Or you want it simple:

You can eat nearly anything that is raw; guns, swords, bows, maybe bullets, and laser guns, and of course other equipment. It has to be raw though.
You can have sex with, well, anything. Get target drunk, you can have sex with them/be paid by them. Or you can marry someone or something. Again, you can basically have sex with anything or anyone, or marry anything. Yes, you can have sex and/or marry a tentacle monster or a dog, or even a little girl(you sick fuck).
I dunno if I should tell you this, but there is a quest that you can do, and it involves nuking a place. No, not the old kill everyone and leave city intact, more of like Fallout 3 nuke/blow up a city. After that, you can get more nukes.
Yes, you can ride something, and yes, by something, I mean your pet/ally(even if they are human).
Debug mode, you can do all kinds of shit, make something get preggers, kill everyone on the map, or just go ahead and kill them with a gun.
Karma level, then again, it basically means are you a citizen or a criminal.

Link to game: Elona

Few pictures.

that means that the person will have sex with you, and yes, you can pay prostitutes to have sex with you
What I mean by being paid after sex
Debug mode, note: the thing that was inserted to the person's pets/allies was an alien

Hint: if you plan on playing something, and your skill is at 0 or 1, don't bother, chances are, you will get hit by a rock and you might get murdered at a bar.

Asian Users Club, Fighting racism since 1882.

Sig made by: InsertFunnyUserName.

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-20 07:16:45

Title:Tremulous

Genre: First Person Shooter with RTS elements

Description:

taken from their website

Tremulous is a free, open source game that blends a team based FPS with elements of an RTS. Players can choose from 2 unique races, aliens and humans. Players on both teams are able to build working structures in-game like an RTS.
As a human, players are rewarded with credits for each alien kill which may be used to purchase new weapons and armour from the "Armoury". Upon killing a human foe, the alien is able to evolve into a newer, meaner class.
The overall objective behind Tremulous is to eliminate the opposing team.

Why you should download it:It's an enjoyable and unique game which combines tactics with good aim and teamwork. Plus, you get to pounce on people. Nuff said

Link to game: http://tremulous.net/

Note - the gameis not very easy to understand so if you download it, spend some time playing in the Newbie server ;)

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-20 08:30:27

Title: Cave Story
Genre: Action/Adventure Platformer
Description: you find your self in an undergound caves in the begining and as you begin to find your way around you discover a great evil that plans to destroy the world. the path is not always straight forward and can be quite puzzling at times

Why you should download it: it has a very immersive and the gamplay is just plain fun.

Link to game: the Official Site, Note: i was unable to download the english version but i could still download the deluxe version (comes in english) which has many extras

I do Art. I also have a Gaming Site

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-20 14:17:25

Title: Urban Terror

Genre: First Person Shooter

Description:
This is your typical online only counter-strike shooter. You have 2 teams, the reds and the blues. You have a great variety of weapons which you can customize with laser-sights, silencers and other stuff.

The graphics aren't really great but it is still fun to play. The game is quite realistic as one can die of only a few bullets. You can also bleed and get shot in the limbs which have different effects on you (i.e. getting shot in the legs decreases your speed). It can be quite frustrating if you are new as you will die, a lot.

Why you should download it:
From all the free shooters that I have played i found this one to be the best of them all. and it is FREE. so just try it out.

Link:
http://www.urbanterror.net/news.php

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-20 15:34:08

Of course I need to post this...

Title: I Wanna Be The Guy (IWBTG!)
Genre: Platform
Description: A very difficult platform game ridden with traps and unexpected massacres. Play as The Kid, and become The Guy! Prepare to be pissed off often as you play one of the hardest games ever.
Link to game: http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/downloads.p hp

PSN ID: Orphodoop. Friend meh for gamez.

Bioshock 2 Viral Ad

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-20 15:36:31

DAMMIT SCOOT... ;P

PSN ID: Orphodoop. Friend meh for gamez.

Bioshock 2 Viral Ad

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-20 16:46:21

Title: Iji

Genre: Action RPG

Description: Iji is a fun side scrolling action RPG that tells the story of an alien attack on Earth. However, there's a lot of backstory to the aliens, their hierarchy and so on, so it doesn't feel cliche. Plus, there are actually two alien races that battle among themselves.

Why you should download it: Expansive levels with multiple paths, choices that affect the storyline, interesting plot, nice RPG system.

Download link: http://dsu.iki.his.se/web/iji.zip

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-20 18:52:23

the website
have most of the games, fun long kick ass gaming. and did i mention for free YES FREEE!!!!!!!!! you can get them all.(but you must pay with a min of donwload time)

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-21 04:15:59

At 8/20/09 02:22 PM, zooos wrote: Pretty sure there is a topic like this already with a list of more games. Maybe you should go and contribute to that one.

Well, I made this topic because I wanted a place where people could get a better understanding of the freeware game before deciding to buy it. So far, it's worked out great, and thanks for your recommendations so far, everyone!

While I'm here, might as well tell everyone about another good one:
========================================
======================
Title: The Underside

Genre: Cave Story-esque plaformer - Adventure/Exploration - Demo

Description: You play as a unnamed protagonist cat, in a world that just doesn't seem to be going very well. There are two sides of the world: The Overside, and the Underside. Over the years, both became corrupt and evil. The creator of this world got so fed up, that he decided he would scrap the world all together if not a single person was kind or heroic.

It plays EXTREMELY similar to Cave Story, but the witty humor and neat graphics kept me playing.

Why you should download it: It has a Cave Story vibe to it, but it's an immensely fun, if not more challenging experience, and the current demo does not disappoint. The plaforming can be a bit floaty at times, but the enemies and all around funniness of the game itself makes it a must-play for any die-hard SNES-era fan.

Download link: http://www.insignificantstudios.com/prev iew.php

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-21 16:00:52

to guru last post. do you mean like the same people, or same places or just feels likke cave story? also the people join the game.

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-21 16:18:13

At 8/19/09 04:08 AM, ForcedDj wrote: Title: Elona

has this game got viruses or is it safe and what is debug mode

XBL:Deano196

PSN:Deano129

Steam ID:Deano1009

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-21 23:03:20

At 8/21/09 04:18 PM, Deano10 wrote:

its safe but it sucks.

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 03:29:13

safe, kinda hard at first.

Debug mode is basically easy mode. Check the wiki for more infomation, cant really help you there.

Asian Users Club, Fighting racism since 1882.

Sig made by: InsertFunnyUserName.

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 03:30:53

Title: GunZ
Genre:MMO 3rd Person Shooter
This game is great (for a free game)
Info HERE
Main SIte/Info HERE
You CAN spend money to get better guns and clothing (does help, but can do without easily)
Has a fun online community
Hackers get banned fast (usually)
Enjoy!

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 04:54:53

Name: Mario Forever

Why you should get it: It's a classic mario platformer!

Download link: http://www.softendo.com/game/view/name/M F

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 09:13:35

This has always been my favourite fan-game.

Title: Big Bad Baby Bowser
Description: A mirror from the classic boss battle from Yoshi's Island, Big Bad Baby Bowser is a minigame created by Flipiberke for the Mini Game Contest #22. Unlike the classic NES version however, this game is entirely mouse controlled. Packed with additional challenges along the way, Big Bad Baby Bowser is the perfect game to keep you entertained for quite a while. This game features Time Attack and Classic Modes, and is displayed as if the game was ported to DS.
Why should you download it?: This game is a near-complete mirror of the final boss stage, any Yoshi's Island fan would love it.
Link n' shit?: http://www.mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&
param=02&c=2&id=8563

This game may have some problems on Windows Vista, therefore I am un-able to provide a proper screenshot, Sorry! D:

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 09:22:42

/Title: Soldat
Genre: 2D Shooter
Description: An online 2D shooter, with many gamemodes such as Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Hold the Flag and Rambomatch. Features 10 primary and 4 secondary weapons. Many custom maps and mods have been made for this game.
Why you should download it: It's really fun, even though not so many people play it anymore. The ragdoll physics in this game can be hilarious (e.g. a head flying across the screen from being stabbed).
Download link: On the official site.
Note: This is a freeware game, but you can register it for a small price, which gives you some nice bonuses.

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 12:11:49

At 8/22/09 09:22 AM, MaciekOst wrote: /Title: Soldat

stabbed).

link does not work... fail on shit

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 12:15:13

Starport Galactic Empires

Black market trading with guns ships in space. Do what ever you want to make the most money. Steal it, make it legitimately, place bounties on peoples heads, fight to the death.

http://www.starportgame.com/

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 14:00:24

At 8/22/09 12:11 PM, kidd25 wrote:
stabbed).

Sorry... Just add a backslash at the end.

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 14:38:59

How should I post them?
1) Individually with a detailed post and screenshot or
2) An all-together post with short descriptions with a giant screenshot of each.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic /777777

http://metaldart.webs.com/ My freewebs website. Check it out dog.

My old NG profile ID: 1321019

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 14:54:05

At 8/22/09 02:38 PM, MetalDart wrote: How should I post them?
2) An all-together post with short descriptions with a giant screenshot of each.

Wich one(s) do you recomend in that list? I played Knytt Stories and I loved it btw

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 15:05:43

At 8/22/09 02:38 PM, MetalDart wrote: How should I post them?

Almost forgot to mention: If you have more than one game to recommend you may write a shorter description for the games, and you only need to post a screenshot for one of them.

You also need to post links to screenshots, or if they're on the site, put in parentheses (Screenshots on site)

By the way, huge props to every one of you who've submitted game recommendations. Remember to follow as closely to the template as possible when making posts, and read through the rules carefully.

P.S. To the person who posted Iji: I just got back from playing it and wow! I've never seen such a great platform shooter since Cave Story!

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 16:25:49

At 8/22/09 03:05 PM, ThePortalGuru wrote: You also need to post links to screenshots, or if they're on the site, put in parentheses (Screenshots on site)

Also, this is referring to all of the games the didn't have screenshots right there in the post.

BBS Signature

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 17:09:01

At 8/21/09 11:03 PM, kidd25 wrote:
its safe but it sucks.

i know i just look at the pictures

XBL:Deano196

PSN:Deano129

Steam ID:Deano1009

Response to The Freeware Games Thread 2009-08-22 18:01:22

At 8/22/09 02:00 PM, MaciekOst wrote:
At 8/22/09 12:11 PM, kidd25 wrote:
stabbed).
Sorry... Just add a backslash at the end.

k...no its not fail shit, its a a a8----->

BBS Signature