00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk

8,289 Views | 88 Replies

Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-09 11:22:43

Please limit all discussion of this month's writing competition to this thread. Please wait to post here until the official contest rules have been posted and linked to in the next post. Thank you. :D

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-09 11:26:40

Entries thread is up!

Make sure to read the first two posts.
Now, you are free to discuss the contest amongst yourselves in this thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-09 11:30:31

Watch the 3 wise men (Hannity, Papa Bear and Glen) on Faux News discuss how Obama's HealthCare will fail that would be Shocking. I wish I could write but I have the grammatical skills of a 8th grader I say.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-09 11:35:59

Glad to see you added the spirituality to bit the chinese culture choice. Otherwise we'd be swamped with ninjas battle stories...

I'm going to actually try and write something for this competition. It'll be the first time I've written soemthing in a while.

Have to say, quite like the idea for this one. It should work well = )

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-09 11:40:29

Quick question actually:

The Transylvanian Theme, you mentioned Frankensteins and the like, does that include ( this is going to sound very cliche but oh well) mad scientists ala Victor Von Frankenstein? Cause I've an idea that would work quite well, but whether or not its transylvanian enough might be an issue.

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-09 11:49:41

At 8/9/09 11:40 AM, Tri-Nitro-Toluene wrote: Quick question actually:

The Transylvanian Theme, you mentioned Frankensteins and the like, does that include ( this is going to sound very cliche but oh well) mad scientists ala Victor Von Frankenstein? Cause I've an idea that would work quite well, but whether or not its transylvanian enough might be an issue.

Yes, of course! What would Frankenstein's monster be without Frankenstein, himself? A mad scientist can be quite Transylvanian, but I'll leave it in your hands to work out how.

I'm glad to see a couple of keen takers for this contest already, that holds promise.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-09 11:59:31

Heh just managed to work out a way to get it gothicy and transylvania enough for the competition. Entry is a go!

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-09 12:22:52

Hhhmmm, no.

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-09 13:03:49

Holy shit I'm a judge.

This looks to be a very interesting contest, hopefully with very different tales. I can't write to read them all. Good luck everyone.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-09 18:09:20

Can one do Japanese culture or for this contest, the Chinese one comprises both?

A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it. ~Jean de La Fontaine

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-09 19:56:07

At 8/9/09 06:09 PM, PARABLK wrote: Can one do Japanese culture or for this contest, the Chinese one comprises both?

Sure, that'll be fine, I'd be happy with that.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-10 00:38:02

I believe I might sit this one out again. Although this month's theme seems cool, my mind is having difficulty operating within it. Perhaps I'll give it more time, but more likely than not, I'll just lurk around here and make obscene comments on everyone's drafts if they ask for it. It's so much more fun to point at others' faults than make my own.

In reality, I just don't want to be judged by a writer's ailment, a poor sauce, a pedophile, a potential pedophile muffin, and a...co-op... (damn it, Coop83, I'll work out something later...)

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-10 02:03:09

Aw, I'm sort of dissapointed now coz I wrote a piece set in Nepal the last contest. Ah well. If you're looking for anymore judges, WB, I'm certainly free. :P

;){____/| Anime Reviews /|\ Actually an '06er /|\ New Short Story! More to come. |\ ____}(;

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-10 14:13:13

I have yet to actually look at the contest thread, but just from reading everyone's ideas for their story thus far, I am intrigued. I shall have to check it out post haste.

To the Muffin Cave!

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-10 14:19:14

Ooh, yes please.

Stop looking

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-10 14:27:09

Also, I know that Zerok is in charge of organizing the narrators from June's contest, but has anyone heard anything about it? Or has it been canned?

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-10 17:35:01

For the Egyptian culture, can we do something along the lines of a modern archeological dig? I was thinking that even though it does include the culture and whatnot of Ancient Egypt, it isn't set in that time, which may be acceptable.

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-10 17:47:12

Well, this is a nice surprise! An Arab-Egyptian theme among the choices. This is going to be a nice contest, seeming as that I live here in Egypt. I'll be looking forward to seeing what entries await.

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-10 20:01:29

At 8/10/09 05:35 PM, TheThing wrote: For the Egyptian culture, can we do something along the lines of a modern archeological dig? I was thinking that even though it does include the culture and whatnot of Ancient Egypt, it isn't set in that time, which may be acceptable.

An archaeological dig on its own, I would say no, but if you use the archaeological dig as a device to tell your story of ancient egypt, that'll be fine, sure. As for whether you draw on ideas or attempt to recreate the scene through the dig, or what, you can be the judg of that. I'm generally looking for that spirituality and that sense of mythos in amongst your stories, as even if you write a story not so far fetched as mummies coming to life through the divine powers of various gods, the timeliness of ancient egypt is one that's completely different from the modern westernised society.

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-11 00:47:14

Does making the most alien shit possible count as culture shock?

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-11 05:49:25

So my story can be anything as long as it has elements from one of the themes? Or should I limit my story to these themes only?

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-11 05:50:34

I am developing my story right now. Can't wait to see what it'lll turn out like. Because I just got past a bitch of writers block.

PS WritersBlock, check your PMs

The Kat is away.

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-11 08:38:27

At 8/11/09 05:49 AM, amador10 wrote: So my story can be anything as long as it has elements from one of the themes? Or should I limit my story to these themes only?

The themes must be a primary focal point of your story.

At 8/11/09 12:47 AM, Sawdust wrote: Does making the most alien shit possible count as culture shock?

Re-read the thread. "Culture Shock" isn't the "vibe" you need to go with in the contest, it refers to the culture-based themes you can pick from for your entry. None of the themes cater exclusively to aliens, however, you may introduce outside influences, provided that the primary focal point of your story is still one of the four themes.

Also Matt, got your PM, ta. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-11 18:53:16

I just posted my story, First Post! And I'm really, really happy with it, even if some things didn't work out. I'm also feeling a little stupid for not editing my work heavily enough, I found three very minor mistakes, but mistakes nonetheless, and I forgot to use a double dash at one point cause my Word has the long solid one. Well, Good Luck everyone! I really loved this contest idea!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

-Frank Sinatra

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-12 04:00:06

At 8/11/09 08:38 AM, WritersBlock wrote: Re-read the thread. "Culture Shock" isn't the "vibe" you need to go with in the contest, it refers to the culture-based themes you can pick from for your entry.

I see where this is going then. Sounds fun, I'll give it a whirl.

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-18 23:34:07

One story so far, I'm going to assume that's because you're all dilligently working on your respective masterpieces and not because you've forgotten about it since it fell off the front page of the forum.
I made a front page news post, so hopefully that'll bring a few outsiders to the contest. One thing I love about the contest is not just the regular contributors improving month by month, but the occasional entry from someone you wouldn't expect or have never heard of before.
Surprise me, guys. :D

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-19 01:11:42

At 8/19/09 12:22 AM, Fyndir wrote:
At 8/18/09 11:34 PM, WritersBlock wrote: One story so far
Maybe if a MOD made the threads.

JUST SAYIN'.

You say that as if I've got no credibility any more...

BBS Signature

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-19 09:22:05

So. Can I scan a hand written copy?

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-19 09:52:43

i might be getting voice recogniition software! foro typing

lol this story being written like that = hilarious

"and then the dunes parted, and the giant worm ripped open the earth and swallowed the hearts of men"

Response to Mwc9: Aug: Culture Shock!: Talk 2009-08-19 10:52:18

At 8/19/09 09:54 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: Jack, MicrosoftOffice 2003 comes with it I think

i'm talking of ones that don't suck ass