00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

VelvetsFunzone just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Newgrounds Jam Session Project!

5,207 Views | 77 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

1... 2... 3... 4...

Hello and welcome to the NewGrounds Jam Sessions Project! Here you can collaborate with myself and other artists to create online Jam Sessions!

A Jam Session, in real life, is a musical act where musicians sit together without any previous preparation or predefined arrangements besides what they know, and "Jam" on something they don't know or that one invented; improvisation. Jam sessions may be based upon existing songs or forms, may be loosely based on an agreed chord progression or chart suggested by one player, or may be wholly improvisational, but in the end the point is to improvise, not to do covers.

What I want to do here, is to create Online Jam Sessions. It obviously won't be as good as real live Jam sessions, but it still should be freakin' awesome. The main point is, that one artist picks up his instrument and records the rhythm (the "melody", "Back-up", aka not the lead). He uploads it, tells people right here in the topic what is it, and people record themselves on top of it, send it back to the original artist, and he decides whether to upload or not.

Main Guidelines
- Nothing, and I mean nothing, in this thread, is to be used maliciously.
- Be supportive. The Jam Sessions are both for beginners and for professionals. The abilities to hear and understand chord progressions and to keep time are a prerequisite; However, the ability to play improvised leads that contain at least a suggestion of the melody is desired, but not a must.
- While bitching, ranting and moaning are welcomed, don't moan if no one picks up your rhythm, or if the original artist prefers not to use your recording. Just try again until you make something better.
- It goes like this. The first musician (Let's call him "Jim") records a rhythm. Another 2 musicians ("Bob" and "Melanie") tell Jim they like it in the topic, pick it up, download it, record themselves on it, and send it back to Jim. Jim likes Melanie's playing more then Bob's, and he uploads THAT Jam session to NewGrounds. ONLY "JIM" (THE MUSICIAN THAT STARTED THE JAM) IS ALLOWED TO UPLOAD THE JAM SESSION, UNLESS AGREED OTHERWISE.
- For unfinished work, please don't upload your songs to NewGrounds. Work in progress you should upload to different sites. I'm using FileDen, but use whatever you want as long as people can download from it without having to create accounts or something stupid and pesky of the sort.
- When you upload any finished Jam Sessions, upload it with this name - "NGJSP - ________". The line is the name of the Jam (A name, or "Blues in E", "Jazz in C", "Fun funk improv "). NGJSP Stands for NewGrounds Jam Session Project.

Do's
- Enjoy it. We are here to have fun, to jam and to improvise.
- Define what sound you're looking for. You upload a rhythm and you're looking for a lead, say "I'm looking for an acoustic funky lead", or "I'm looking for a fast and furious, electric, distorted, rock-ish lead".
- Buy milk.
- Try to do have more then 2 people in your Jam, it's more interesting.

Dont's
- Don't upload the Jam session unless all musicians involved agree to upload. And the only one who should upload the Jam session is the one who started it.
- Don't start a Jam session without some materiel in your hands.
- Don't play with a drum machine. If you don't have a drummer to Jam with, don't replace them with a machine.

That's pretty much it! I'll get it rolling in the next post.

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-15 18:22:40

At 7/15/09 06:18 PM, thecoreman wrote: That's pretty much it! I'll get it rolling in the next post.

I promised, so...

I'm looking for a guitarist to Jam with me. The rhythm can be downloaded here. I'm looking for a true old- school bluesy lead, maybe with a slide. The scale is E Pentatonic. The rhythm is based off Tommy Emmanuel's piece, "Stevie's Blues". More details when someone decides to pick it up.

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-15 18:57:26

Sounds fun. I'll give it a wack.

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-15 19:15:13

At 7/15/09 06:57 PM, Metaljonus wrote: Sounds fun. I'll give it a wack.

Cool! So, you should improvise the lead at these times -
Every time I so the chords thingy after the lick, 0:30 till 0:50, then till 1:44.

The main structure is -
E riif | Lick | E riff | Lick | A riff | Lick | E riff | B7 | A7 | Lick.

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-16 04:38:32

Hey, no one interested?

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-16 16:36:19

I'm down! I fly back to Canada from Bosnia tomorrow, I'll get some piano on that track for your consideration.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-16 17:35:21

Awesome!

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-16 18:35:42

I would like to join.. But I need a program to record my part, anyone have one?

LET THERE BE ROCK!

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-16 19:01:28

Hi there, this project sounds really fun and, well, I have lots of vacations yet so, I decided to join, I'm not an experienced musician, but I definitly can improvise something "decent". What you say?

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-18 04:52:05

At 7/16/09 06:35 PM, ToxicFog wrote: I would like to join.. But I need a program to record my part, anyone have one?

I recommend Audacity. It's simple, downloadable, easy to use and free. Clicky link thingy.

At 7/16/09 07:01 PM, JohnQ4 wrote: Hi there, this project sounds really fun and, well, I have lots of vacations yet so, I decided to join, I'm not an experienced musician, but I definitly can improvise something "decent". What you say?

Just record yourself mate, everybody's welcomed in here!

A few more things to Jam on when I have time to record 'em, probably today.

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-25 06:30:43

At 7/18/09 04:52 AM, thecoreman wrote: A few more things to Jam on when I have time to record 'em, probably today.

Sorry it took so long. I'm looking for a female singer and a guitarist to do a cover of "Anyone Else But You" from the "Juno" soundtrack. Awesome movie BTW. So anyway, looking for a female singer, and a guitarist to play the chords. It's pretty as easy as it gets.

My recording.

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-25 07:21:09

sounds really cool i wish i had an audio interface to record but still i could use some solo improv practice

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-25 11:55:36

At 7/25/09 07:21 AM, paublo666 wrote: sounds really cool i wish i had an audio interface to record but still i could use some solo improv practice

You're welcomed, mate!

Come on people, jam up some chords, I want to do solos, not only rhythms! Get off your asses people!

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-25 13:43:53

I'm always willing to hop in on a jam session. There is only one problem. I got mics, instruments, amps, a PA, now all I need is a program to record it on so I can upload it... heh.

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-25 14:58:21

someone already posted a link to audicty (a program to record in) which they recomended to someone who also didnt have one i think its free but idk

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-25 15:02:29

hopefully i can have a recording of some chords i made (hopefully) next week its my first ever written song so be easy on it lol

it all depends what i can get done next guitar lesson i need to use my teachers recording equipment though.

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-25 17:18:39

I would join but no one here really seems serious about doing this cuz other wize
they would be pointing out the stuff thats up for use from them so others can
start working on it.
So here.
Dreamscape - ruff draf
Its totally unfinished but a good basis
do whatever you want to it.
its runs at 160.09bpms.
so if you want to clock it at its original tempo
thats it. Its fairly in tempo so no one should have to much problem
sampling it into the rythm.
any questions? PM me

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-25 18:56:30

Here's some piano I recorded to Steve's Blues.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yyg2mjawn2g

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-26 04:17:51

At 7/25/09 06:56 PM, tingtonger wrote: Here's some piano I recorded to Steve's Blues.

Freakin' awesome, mate, I love it! I'm uploading it right now!

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-26 04:37:01

At 7/26/09 04:17 AM, thecoreman wrote:
At 7/25/09 06:56 PM, tingtonger wrote: Here's some piano I recorded to Steve's Blues.

Freakin' awesome, mate, I love it! I'm uploading it right now!

The Jam Session. If you want me to add something, just tell me, K mate? Wow, this is pretty exciting. The first online Jam Session ever! We are pioneers!

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 58772

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-26 04:53:16

heres mine.

I'll be checking to see what other material put in
if its anything I like I'll add to it.

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-26 08:03:18

At 7/26/09 04:53 AM, Vegetarian-Wolf wrote: heres mine.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 57669
I'll be checking to see what other material put in
if its anything I like I'll add to it.

I tried, it's came out all Inspirational and Uplifting and Relaxing. I really like it, I hope you decide to upload it.
Link

P.S. - If link #1 doesn't work, try this

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-26 13:25:27

I'm in!
Let me just get some shit done and I'll record something cool today.

Cheers dude

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-26 14:48:13

At 7/26/09 02:22 PM, LaForge wrote: By requesting specific scales, aren't you excluding everyone that doesn't understand music theory?

Sort of, but it wasn't a request so much as him telling you what he had based his riffs on.

If you can fake up something that sounds in key, that works too.

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-26 15:55:36

At 7/26/09 03:38 PM, LaForge wrote: Hmm. I've been messing around with a riff lately, I guess I could contribute.

So lemme get this straight first though: I submit a riff here, and someone else builds upon it, yes?

Seems to be the case.

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-26 16:01:46

At 7/26/09 03:38 PM, LaForge wrote: Hmm. I've been messing around with a riff lately, I guess I could contribute.

So lemme get this straight first though: I submit a riff here, and someone else builds upon it, yes?

basically its easiest to solo over riffs but if you have any chords laying around it would make a better sounding solo over it

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-26 16:25:08

Mass answering post in here, look yourself up :)

At 7/25/09 01:43 PM, Oso09 wrote: I'm always willing to hop in on a jam session. There is only one problem. I got mics, instruments, amps, a PA, now all I need is a program to record it on so I can upload it... heh.

Like I said before, I use and recommend Audacity. It's not amazing, but it's real easy to use, friendly to the user, doesn't take up too much space and it's free. It's the link, yes indeed!

At 7/26/09 01:25 PM, BloodFest wrote: I'm in!
Let me just get some shit done and I'll record something cool today.

Cheers dude

I want everybody to get up and give a big round of cheers to the best blues musician in NewGrounds. Lol, I wondered when you'll hop on, mate. I can't wait.

At 7/26/09 02:48 PM, loansindi wrote:
At 7/26/09 02:22 PM, LaForge wrote: By requesting specific scales, aren't you excluding everyone that doesn't understand music theory?
Sort of, but it wasn't a request so much as him telling you what he had based his riffs on.

If you can fake up something that sounds in key, that works too.

I'm just clearing up for people who do know music theory. Some people can improvise by ear only, but I've never been able to do that, so it became a habit of mine to add scales and chord progressions. Anyway, if anyone can improvise by ear, welcome aboard. As long as it sounds good, it doesn't matter how you think about it.

Yes. And then you decide if you like what they did or not, and you choose whether to upload or not. It's a "Pass It Onward" knida thing - you make a rhythm, someone does the lead, it probably more fun to the Lead guy or gal. But, then, you have the option to improvise a lead as well. So you contribute and recieve. I know it's rather utopian, but that's the beauty of music - it seems to be working so far, and quite well!

Wow. Sorry it was so long, mate, but I got carried away :D Anyway, I'm glad that you decided to join - have fun!

A few pointers and important stuff - Please read!
- If you want, you can still record yourself on Stevie's Blues - and the same goes for all other rhythms, unless the original artist told otherwise.
- If you want, you can request for specific rhythms. You have to understand, though, that the respone might be weak.
- I still hold the opinon that 3-people Jam Sessions are much more exciteing the one-on-one. Try to create one!

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-26 16:35:25

I'm about to go camping... but sometime tomorrow when I get back I'll probably lay some djembe on a jam or two.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-27 04:27:01

At 7/26/09 04:35 PM, EchozAurora wrote: I'm about to go camping... but sometime tomorrow when I get back I'll probably lay some djembe on a jam or two.

Awesome, a Forum Mod in my Project! Can't wait to see what you'll bring up, have fun!

At 7/26/09 05:20 PM, LaForge wrote: http://www.speedyshare.com/310602724.htm l

Made for loansindi. If you wanna do some lead over our two parts, feel free.

Sounds freakin' a killer, mate! I love it. But isn't it too short? I mean, the recording is like 10 second long or something... try to enlarge it to at least a minute or 2...

Response to The Newgrounds Jam Session Project! 2009-07-28 14:59:35

Bumps.

Maybe I'll add a few Jazz rhythms tomorrow - anyone's interested?