00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blozeoff just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking for composers

2,234 Views | 19 Replies

Looking for composers 2009-07-13 13:06:55

Hello all,

I have a great opportunity for composers who want to fill their portfolio. I am developer and I need music for 2 games. This games have both great potential.

Examples:
Music for game 1:

And more of him

Music for game 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azLlyiali 8w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1mEkVm5U _M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWndXjgdJ Lk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRatxRPhM kY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb8PQXPOk Cc

A few screens:
http://i28.tinypic.com/2i1ksq0.png
http://i26.tinypic.com/33olfgw.jpg

When you send a song to me, you give me and my team all permission to use it on any way, including commerial use as long we credit you (and we do).
If your song isn't good enough or doesn't fit you will get a message back that it isn't accepted. Every track will be replied to within 24 hours. Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Rik
Audio Department

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-13 13:12:46

At 7/13/09 01:06 PM, The-X-Sound wrote: When you send a song to me, you give me and my team all permission to use it on any way, including commerial use as long we credit you (and we do).

Question.

This statement implies there's no recompense for commercial use. Is that your intent?

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-13 13:21:43

Smells fishy...commercial use and all we get is credit. What kind of credit? Monetary or recognition. Knowledge of this would influence my desire to write something of the sorts.

Since I lost the original Reason file of this song, I bequeath this mp3 to you for now:

I can make something custom, or possibly edit the end to make it loop nicer...

Developer by day; Deviant by night

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-13 13:32:18

When you send a song to me, you give me and my team all permission to use it on any way, including commerial use as long we credit you (and we do).

This is not a valid agreement. However, it's a fair agreement and doesn't require any contracts as long as it's a NON-COMMERCIAL product. If you want to use someone's track for commercial use, you better come up with a signed agreement, and that includes getting a lawyer (to be thorough)

You can't simply say "if you send this, we can do what we want with it" and expect that to be valid.

This is yet another one of those "find a musician that is gullible enough to get me free music" posts that are on almost every indie gaming board.

I'm perfect fine with someone asking for music for no pay, simply to boost a new guys resume up. But NOT on a commercial product.

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-13 14:53:25

- No, I will send you a contract later.
- With credit I mean that you name is shown in the team list.

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-13 18:11:56

At 7/13/09 02:53 PM, The-X-Sound wrote: - No, I will send you a contract later.

It doesn't work that way. If you already have the song that we give you, it means that there was already an agreement, and it wouldn't be illegal for you to just take and use as your own without any type of recognition or payment. Anyways, I don't do Commercial use.

I will right all that's been wronged...

BBS Signature

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-13 18:27:43

At 7/13/09 06:11 PM, Vladimir67 wrote:
At 7/13/09 02:53 PM, The-X-Sound wrote: - No, I will send you a contract later.
It doesn't work that way. If you already have the song that we give you, it means that there was already an agreement, and it wouldn't be illegal for you to just take and use as your own without any type of recognition or payment. Anyways, I don't do Commercial use.

I guess it depends on what country, but for a majority of them this isn't correct.

You music is yours regardless of what's done with it. There is no automatic agreement in effect. Unless there's a contract that is specific.

OP: You said "credit" as in a name. But you missed my other question: Are you planning to compensate the composer in cold, hard cash?

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-13 18:45:56

"When you send a song to me, you give me and my team all permission to use it on any way, including commerial use as long we credit you (and we do)."

i'm pretty sure no, the composer doesn't get paid. Since there is a premium factors in the screenshot this is obviously a sly way of saying the songs will be used in a commercial sense.

Furthermore, if this kind of flimsy agreement clause was technically allowed (but as Nathan so quickly and appropriately pointed out, isn't), you guys have taken all mechanical and performance rights. Being able to sell the music and profit off it, license it to other companies, in short, totally fuck people over for their time and work.

Oh but don't worry guys, you will get credit and that exposure for this truly mediocre looking game will definitely make up for it.

You do realize the rights of which you ask brings an incredibly hefty price right? As the guy in the audio department you are already well aware of this i'm sure. If you're not, consider finding a new position in the company.

Frankly this kind of poor attempt of ripping artists off pisses me off. I would highly discourage anybody from working under these conditions and by direct extension, this group.

Good luck finding somebody to leech off of.

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-13 18:51:27

*standing ovation*

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-14 05:43:22

If you don't like it that you don't get paid for this job, don't answer (yes, we make some profit, but in fact we are both < 18 years old). This is a great opportunity for young artists that need to fill their portfolio. Please no more off-topic posts and for questions PM me.

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-14 09:45:09

Alright, on-topic:

No thanks.

Change the conditions, if you don't, you won't get any audio here. A lot of us are fine with the animators making a little money and us getting exposure, but you're asking for rights. RIGHTS to music. No one in their sane mind will do that.

Also, incase you were planning on using Danman's music (or any other song on the audio portal for that matter), think again. You're going to have to ask strict permission from the artist, since this is partially going to be used for commercial purposes.

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-14 10:30:52

Yesterday I made a license and will be sent to people who are interested.

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-15 00:23:26

At 7/14/09 08:06 PM, benyue1978 wrote:
At 7/14/09 10:30 AM, The-X-Sound wrote: Yesterday I made a license and will be sent to people who are interested.
Hello there. please PM me a copy of your license. Thanx! I'm interested in composing for your project.

Likewise.

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-15 10:57:40

At 7/14/09 05:43 AM, The-X-Sound wrote: (yes, we make some profit, but in fact we are both < 18 years old).

So are a lot of composers on this site. What's your point?

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-15 13:23:24

Basically you're going to steal our music? I'm not saying that you are, but that's what is possible in your, "license."

Either fix your license or make the game non-commercial.

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-15 16:58:38

I think there's nothing else to say after reading the posts of Nathan and Selcuk. Unfortunately this formula has worked most of the time because there's always some composer who simply doesn't have the experience and neither the idea of what he's doing. If you are one of those people I highly suggest you to follow the example of the more experienced members here, otherwise you're going to work your butt off for a game that (let's face it) nobody gives a crap about. We're not talking about scoring A-list titles here, no one is going to hire you because you wrote music for this apart... well, you're do it for free again.

Heh, and to the topic starter. Are you even allowed to create a contract as a minor? Apart from that, hands off my music please or else ...

Denny Schneidemesser, composer for Film & Media. www.dennyschneidemesser.com

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-15 17:02:43

At 7/15/09 04:58 PM, Danman87 wrote: I think there's nothing else to say after reading the posts of Nathan and Selcuk. Unfortunately this formula has worked most of the time because there's always some composer who simply doesn't have the experience and neither the idea of what he's doing. If you are one of those people I highly suggest you to follow the example of the more experienced members here, otherwise you're going to work your butt off for a game that (let's face it) nobody gives a crap about. We're not talking about scoring A-list titles here, no one is going to hire you because you wrote music for this apart... well, you're do it for free again.

Heh, and to the topic starter. Are you even allowed to create a contract as a minor? Apart from that, hands off my music please or else ...

I'm actulaly perfectly fine with someone asking for free music, when the game is free. But the fact this dev is saying he'd gladly take free music for a commercial project in which he does not plan to compensate in any way, makes me irritated.

However, it doesn't matter. Because overall this is very unprofessional in the gaming world.

Also, yeah I'd be curious to even see the license he whipped up. It won't be valid unless it's written by someone qualified. Unless of course your in The People's Court: Preschool Edition.

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-15 22:42:29

Hey It seems like you like orchestral stuff...Check out some of mine =)

town theme

Overworld Theme

Burton-esque Pieces

Peaceful

Boss Theme

Thank you for your time
-T0M-

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-15 22:43:57

I hate to post twice but I forgot to add that I have many other pieces that I haven't put on newgrounds that are more recent and more complex but If you like these I will show you my other pieces.
Thank you
-T0M-

Response to Looking for composers 2009-07-16 16:58:55

After reading the license, nobody here should be submitting for this project. The license stipulates all rights are immediately transferred to them. No compensation.