00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

I-am-the-BUG-WIZ4RD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Epic Contest (win awesome prizes)

5,109 Views | 96 Replies

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-20 06:35:08

At 5/20/09 03:31 AM, blackattackbitch wrote:
At 5/19/09 06:28 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: There are no dry vocals :-/ terrible remix pack.

Why is the guitar playing a different key then the vocals? God this is going to be a pain in the ass. It's not a remix contest at this point it's a make my song better cause I can't.
ROFL I'm glad someone said it before I did.

My personal gripes:

1) No dry samples AT ALL! Everything is reverbified and effected to fuck!
2) Vocals are pretty, well, bad, to be honest.
3) Listen to the vocals. Notice how they stay within a range of B-Ab, not even the whole seven notes of the octave.
4) Song has no clear idea at all. It would be slightly easier to remix if you could figure out what those meaningless lyrics meant.
5) MP3s? Fucking seriously? What kind of real music producer tells people to work with MP3s?

I could go on about every little thing I hate about this contest and every little thing I dislike about this particular artist, or anyfuckingthing related to this contest (another pop star blown up out of proportion because she's kinda hot and has a half-decent voice), but I'm gonna cut it short cuz I'm just venting now......

Well, it's worth it for that Korg Gear.

This contest makes me appreciate my fellow NGers so much more, what with the effort you guys put into your songs for little to no reward. I really love you guys....

I actually kinda liked the vocals to be honest. Even though the effects were added, autotune was also added for effect. And that is a very expensive plugin, and does it without much effort. The other programs you have to tweak a lot to get what you want.

However, seperate elements of the vocals for anyone that wanted them would've been nice. But I wrote the remix based on the sound of the vocals, and it worked out well.

Mine isn't up yet however.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-20 07:52:22

May give it a go, may aswell do something other than the album for a bit of a break xD

Is anyone else having problems downloading the acappella.wav file?

NEW TUNES! CHECK THEM HERE!

itsfoxhall/SownShadow Fox

Click the picture for my actual real life band D:

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-20 08:09:31

You guys might want to check out the details of the rules of this contest. Me and Chron checked it out and they're pretty iffy if you ask me...

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-20 08:31:37

At 5/20/09 08:09 AM, Nekoprism wrote: You guys might want to check out the details of the rules of this contest. Me and Chron checked it out and they're pretty iffy if you ask me...

As in how?

The rights are not yours in the first place since it's not your song and just a remix using elements of the song itself. So royalties only are exactly what should happen.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-20 13:15:59

At 5/20/09 08:31 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote:
At 5/20/09 08:09 AM, Nekoprism wrote: You guys might want to check out the details of the rules of this contest. Me and Chron checked it out and they're pretty iffy if you ask me...
As in how?

The rights are not yours in the first place since it's not your song and just a remix using elements of the song itself. So royalties only are exactly what should happen.

Exactly. Now I did notice that they take exclusive rights though, which means that once you submit that song, it's essentially theirs. But with them promoting it for you and paying royalties, it's an okay contract. Not great, but okay.

And our entries are up, Nathan, as well as quite a few others. Check em out. And I don't know who that r34ct guy is, but we should probably try to get him/her on newgrounds, you know what I'm saying?

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-20 20:20:09

Well really you might not lose much from their description of exclusive.

"The Winner may be required to sign a contract giving OP3 Music the right to exploit the Remix for sale worldwide. If a contract is required, the Winner will receive an industry standard royalty on all final sales of their Re-Mix."

I'm willing to see what the contract says and if anything this will help you in a music career. None of us are going to lose anything from this halfrate song if anything you might gain some fame..... in Canada (lolllz).

The prizes make it worth while in my opinion. I'm willing to let go of exclusive rights as long as my name is printed on the package. Like any remix contest your going to lose a little before you get anything from it. So suck it up and hope for the best.

Good luck everyone.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-20 20:30:43

About the effected vox gripes: that's how it generally works in the industry...you get the effects and everything when you are chosen to remix.

I wanna try something. :D

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-21 01:33:50

At 5/20/09 08:30 PM, Rig wrote: About the effected vox gripes: that's how it generally works in the industry...you get the effects and everything when you are chosen to remix.

I wanna try something. :D

Yes, in able to get dry stems you'd have to pay A LOT for even stems for a song like this.

Oh yeah, and everyone seems to like #4. I'm sorry, but I don't know why.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-21 01:53:18

Ok, so listening to every single entry this is what I found:

1. A lot of entries don't even TIME with the vocals.
2. A lot of entries don't even follow the right KEY with the vocals.
3. A lot of entries consist entirely of the vocals and the elements of the song. Which is almost like a remix in an actual studio sense, but not a DJ sense.
4. My guess is anyone that has a "sick beat" gets more votes regardless how well done it is. Anyone with a slow intro (aka mine) probably will get voted down.
5. Some of these tracks are under produced for my taste, but that's me.

I'm not complaining about my score, but 5 stars and 187 votes on #4. Can I get confirmation in this forum that #4 is awesome and is the best one on the whole list?

Also, two people I know on here that entered:

Para: I like your entries. They were true remixes in my eyes. Different rhythms and styles, and commercial in a way (DnB not so much) nice job.

Blackattack: I applaud your ability, as most people here probably expected me to do an orchestral bit. But one of the major factors in this contest is commerciality. And a full orchestral mix isn't going to be much commercial compared to other styles.

Who else did I miss?

I'd appreciate any comments on my entry as well. I thought I did well for a first dance track.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-21 02:32:19

At 5/21/09 01:53 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Ok,

Wow, the one with 5 stars is just so bland :S
Yours has so much to it. I voted 5.
Don't understand who these people voting are.

My computer is very slow and can't really listen to any other ones.
But i managed to listen to Nathan's and the JG&RG one.
Good luck.
The show hasn't been talking about this contest very much yet because they're still having another contest that has to do with a music video lol

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-21 20:38:12

As previously stated, a lot of the entries suck total ass. I whipped up a generic dance remix featuring a sawtooth bass, a kick drum, and a percussion loop. Let's see how many votes it gets...

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-21 21:11:42

Sent it off. Here's what I wrote in the email:
"A generic song deserves the same sort of remix, dontcha think? I used saw waves for maximum consumer appeal."

lolol I wonder if they'll upload it.

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-21 21:19:03

At 5/21/09 09:11 PM, Rig wrote: lolol I wonder if they'll upload it.

Hahahaha, you dog :P

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-21 22:51:33

At 5/21/09 09:11 PM, Rig wrote: Sent it off. Here's what I wrote in the email:
"A generic song deserves the same sort of remix, dontcha think? I used saw waves for maximum consumer appeal."

lolol I wonder if they'll upload it.

Wow, so much win in this statement! +3 Internets to you! It's deserved. You sir, have brass balls.

If it's actually uploaded, I'll upgrade that to balls of steel.

Once again, fucking awesome!

At 5/21/09 01:53 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Blackattack: I applaud your ability, as most people here probably expected me to do an orchestral bit. But one of the major factors in this contest is commerciality. And a full orchestral mix isn't going to be much commercial compared to other styles.

True, but part of my plan was to submit an orchestral piece first, then a light orchestral piece, then an R&B beat for full commerciality, while at the same time displaying as much versatility through my entries as I could.

And allow me to say that your entry completely blew me away. I fukken LOVED that song!

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-21 23:01:09

The more and more and more I work on this the more and more I hate her singing and the song in general I probably submit my craptastic song soon.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-21 23:43:14

At 5/21/09 11:01 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: The more and more and more I work on this the more and more I hate her singing and the song in general I probably submit my craptastic song soon.

I know what you mean. I hate the lyrics with a passion. What total mindless, uninspiring, bubblegum crap.

But there's prizes.

:|

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-22 00:16:06

At 5/21/09 11:43 PM, Rig wrote:
At 5/21/09 11:01 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: The more and more and more I work on this the more and more I hate her singing and the song in general I probably submit my craptastic song soon.
I know what you mean. I hate the lyrics with a passion. What total mindless, uninspiring, bubblegum crap.

But there's prizes.

|

Lol ya just submitted mine. Not sure how original it is but the quality and DJ format are there. I'm not so sure I want to do another remix...

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-23 02:32:44

It's still not up. Does that mean I win?

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-23 18:11:54

At 5/23/09 02:32 AM, Rig wrote: It's still not up. Does that mean I win?

I think it does.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-25 10:10:56

I like how entry number 2 is the acapella played over a deadmau5 song.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-25 12:33:30

What the fuck. i never said anything in that chat room thing...

Someone is trying to impersonate me, what the fucking hell shit bitch wank battle.

:(

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-25 20:00:59

God this song is terrible.

No offense, but the lyrics just AREN'T catchy or well-written. I'm honestly not surprised this is a remix contest (hey, can you make my song better for me?)

Ugh.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-25 22:10:19

At 5/25/09 08:00 PM, nal1200 wrote: God this song is terrible.

No offense, but the lyrics just AREN'T catchy or well-written. I'm honestly not surprised this is a remix contest (hey, can you make my song better for me?)

Ugh.

Actually in my eyes, you're wrong. The vocals do have meaning, and the chorus despite the simple "da da da" is quite catchy and stays in your head.

The problem isn't the song. It's what people are trying to turn it into via remixes.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-25 22:45:21

At 5/25/09 10:10 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote:
At 5/25/09 08:00 PM, nal1200 wrote: God this song is terrible.

Ugh.
Actually in my eyes, you're wrong. The vocals do have meaning, and the chorus despite the simple "da da da" is quite catchy and stays in your head.

The problem isn't the song. It's what people are trying to turn it into via remixes.

Well, perhaps 'terrible' isn't the right word to express what I mean.

I just don't see anything in particular about the vocals that stand out. It's chord progression isn't particularly special either.

At the end of the day, it's alright, but something I wouldn't feel obligated to remix had the prizes not been offered.

I hope that better defines what I mean

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-25 23:30:59

Well, perhaps 'terrible' isn't the right word to express what I mean.

I just don't see anything in particular about the vocals that stand out. It's chord progression isn't particularly special either.

No, no chord progression is really ever that special. But it's a remix, so change the chord progression like I did.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-25 23:31:13

Someone was posting under my name as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-26 01:02:15

Well more of our songs are up now. There really isn't any way to make a bad song better lol.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-26 01:07:27

At 5/26/09 01:02 AM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: Well more of our songs are up now. There really isn't any way to make a bad song better lol.

I confident enough to say I made it better. i hated the original track to it.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-26 01:32:06

I'm working on a remix of this right now, and I've got to say that creating a remix is harder for me than actually creating an original song. Anyone else have that frame of mind?

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-26 01:35:30

At 5/26/09 01:32 AM, Gorgorothx wrote: I'm working on a remix of this right now, and I've got to say that creating a remix is harder for me than actually creating an original song. Anyone else have that frame of mind?

Initially creating it wasn't a problem for me, but adding all the bells and whistles and getting the proper mix, not to mention keep it interesting in a consistent manner (my main peeve with most of the entries with good ideas) was the hardest to me.

I had a beat, had a bass, pad, a few arppegiating...things. But adding the few nuances took a while to figure out.