00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zombiehit just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Epic Contest (win awesome prizes)

5,095 Views | 96 Replies

Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 01:12:30

saw this on a TV show and figured some of you Newgrounders were good enough to win;

Link to contest

you just have to sign up to this website and make a remix of that song.
I just thought some of you could win some things you might find useful

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 01:39:27

I might try if I have time. Could even add some orchestral stuff to that song.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 05:10:52

thanks a bunch for the link, will have to work on it when the download link works for me

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 05:14:03

Well I already started mine. I've never done dance before, and I must say it's kind of fun.

The form seems to be the hardest part for me (breaks, amount of power on the chorus vs verse) and the endings are hard to figure out.

I'm using mostly RMX, Omnisphere, and Atmosphere with a lot of processing and editing.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 10:01:16

I have so many ideas for this contest, it's unbelievable.

And the fact that we can submit up to three entries is, well, awesomesauce!!!

I know exactly what I'm gonna do:

First song- take the vocal samples and turn them into gregorian chants, over an epic orchestral background.

Second song- leave the vocals very much intact, and turn it into a romantic orchestral song.

Third song- Turn it into a rap instrumental with a chorus, or an R&B song with the vocals intact.

This should be fun...*smiles with evil glint in eyes*

But one thing that you should know about this contest: They take exclusive rights to your song. Although you do make royalties from it if it sells.

And put your all into whatever song you make, because as far as I know, there can only be one winner, and the prizes are pretty damn sweet, if you ask me.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 10:26:58

First things first:
Thanx for the link !
I'll try something myself, for now what is up on the website as remixes are quite crap, so I believe that newgrounders will smash this contest down !!!!

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 10:36:57

I forgot to say that the person will pick the one's they like most so far every day and I watch this show when it's on all the time. So if I see yours I'll let you know. The shows called MTV Live. it only airs in Canada

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 10:40:30

At 5/17/09 10:26 AM, sorohanro wrote: First things first:
Thanx for the link !
I'll try something myself, for now what is up on the website as remixes are quite crap, so I believe that newgrounders will smash this contest down !!!!

that's exactly why I posted it here. You guys are awesome with this stuff :)

this is on the website (you don't have to be Canadian, you don't have to be 18 or older);

a) To be eligible for this Contest, individual entrants must:

i) Be a Canadian Citizen or legal resident in Canada - OR - willingly adhere by all Canadian laws where applicable regarding contests whether in practice or in principle, and

ii) Be eighteen (18) years of age or older as of July 12th, 2009 - OR - must have consent of a parent in writing before being awarded the grand prize on or after July 13, 2009. The winner will be given a minimum of 24 hours to comply with contest rules in writing before being awarded the prize.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 11:35:53

At 5/17/09 11:14 AM, Deflektor wrote: Dude, you have to be canadian in order to take part ?

Quote from the license:
Be a Canadian Citizen or legal resident in Canada - OR - willingly adhere by all Canadian laws

No I didn't search the whole thing, it's the second line

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 11:38:09

At 5/17/09 11:14 AM, Deflektor wrote: Dude, you have to be canadian in order to take part ?

Damn, it sucks...

i said you don't have to , lol

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 18:19:46

I still can't sign in and download the stuff :(

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 21:49:22

Thanx for the link !

Um....not to be an asshole, but I don't think crap is a strong enough word.

They're downright terrible. But not to worry, with you and Nathan in this contest raising the bar, all should be well.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 21:54:11

At 5/17/09 09:49 PM, blackattackbitch wrote:
Thanx for the link !
Um....not to be an asshole, but I don't think crap is a strong enough word.

They're downright terrible. But not to worry, with you and Nathan in this contest raising the bar, all should be well.

I appreciate the gesture, but this is NOT my forte. However, I think what I have is great so far. Very trance/euro mix. Her voice at the "da da" is a major hook that people will grab instantly in their heads.

I'm doing a straight dancable remix. I think that's the point of the contest anyway. Could you imagine having some stuff played in a club that you did while your there? lol

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 22:00:09

Did any of you guys read the rules?

a) To be eligible for this Contest, individual entrants must:

i) Be a Canadian Citizen or legal resident in Canada - OR - willingly adhere by all Canadian laws where applicable regarding contests whether in practice or in principle, and

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 22:01:13

Does that mean noone not from canada can do it? Or you just have to understand canadian law?

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 22:19:18

At 5/17/09 10:01 PM, Envy wrote: Does that mean noone not from canada can do it? Or you just have to understand canadian law?

I think you just have to make sure you don't break and Canadian laws when you make it.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-17 22:21:47

At 5/17/09 10:01 PM, Envy wrote: Does that mean noone not from canada can do it? Or you just have to understand canadian law?

it means You have to understand the Canadian law basically.
It sounds like it wants you to be Canadian but;

YOU CAN BE FROM ANY COUNTRY TO PARTICIPATE

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-18 00:08:53

I might try this out.
I've always enjoyed making remixes

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-18 08:00:48

I'm about 95% done now.

I don't know if I'll do another one, but I do have an idea. But this one seems it'll be a hit in my eyes.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-18 11:53:13

At 5/18/09 08:00 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: I'm about 95% done now.

I don't know if I'll do another one, but I do have an idea. But this one seems it'll be a hit in my eyes.

Is your account name on the website Nathanallenpinard? because I'm pretty sure if yours is one of her favourites she'll say your name along with playing the song on the show. I'll let you know if she does.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-18 14:55:09

Mines the Para one, it's a bit shite, but i just submitted an electro one which is pretty good :)

BBS Signature

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-18 17:40:56

Yup, it is.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-18 18:02:09

I find it rather ridiculous conditions.

How would one break a law of any kind while producing a track?

Why do I need my parents' consent? :-l

Both don't matter in my case, but I find it rather futile.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-18 21:48:41

Teh linkie no workez

._____.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-18 21:58:19

At 5/18/09 02:55 PM, Koriigahn wrote: Mines the Para one, it's a bit shite, but i just submitted an electro one which is pretty good :)

Ouch, to clarify, I didn't say "Yup, it is." to this comment. I said "Yup, it is." to my name being nathanallenpinard on the site.

Sorry.

I did like your DnB mix.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-19 13:02:26

Entry sent.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-19 13:13:26

At 5/18/09 06:02 PM, la-yinn wrote: How would one break a law of any kind while producing a track?

Ever heard of a little thing called copyright?

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-19 13:28:25

At 5/18/09 06:02 PM, la-yinn wrote: I find it rather ridiculous conditions.

How would one break a law of any kind while producing a track?

Why do I need my parents' consent? :-l

Both don't matter in my case, but I find it rather futile.

Uh...well sampling from another song, using illegally downloaded sample libraries, using illegally downloaded software, the list goes on...

And the parental consent thing is also legal, it's sort of the difference between you being an adult, and not. They can't legally deal with you in any way (in fact your parents are entitled to the cash and prizes) without parental consent. So if you win, your parents will have to sign the dotted line, not you.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-19 18:28:46

There are no dry vocals :-/ terrible remix pack.

Why is the guitar playing a different key then the vocals? God this is going to be a pain in the ass. It's not a remix contest at this point it's a make my song better cause I can't.

Response to Epic Contest (win awesome prizes) 2009-05-20 03:31:39

At 5/19/09 06:28 PM, Mrmilkcarton wrote: There are no dry vocals :-/ terrible remix pack.

Why is the guitar playing a different key then the vocals? God this is going to be a pain in the ass. It's not a remix contest at this point it's a make my song better cause I can't.

ROFL I'm glad someone said it before I did.

My personal gripes:

1) No dry samples AT ALL! Everything is reverbified and effected to fuck!
2) Vocals are pretty, well, bad, to be honest.
3) Listen to the vocals. Notice how they stay within a range of B-Ab, not even the whole seven notes of the octave.
4) Song has no clear idea at all. It would be slightly easier to remix if you could figure out what those meaningless lyrics meant.
5) MP3s? Fucking seriously? What kind of real music producer tells people to work with MP3s?

I could go on about every little thing I hate about this contest and every little thing I dislike about this particular artist, or anyfuckingthing related to this contest (another pop star blown up out of proportion because she's kinda hot and has a half-decent voice), but I'm gonna cut it short cuz I'm just venting now......

Well, it's worth it for that Korg Gear.

This contest makes me appreciate my fellow NGers so much more, what with the effort you guys put into your songs for little to no reward. I really love you guys....