00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bass players

1,037 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Bass players 2009-05-02 16:47:04

I've noticed if you are trying to make a band. You go look through the musician's wanted sites, bass players are hard to find because if they are any good they are usually in a band. So as one of the minority of musicians I wanna talk shop.

Do you use a pick or your fingers? Whats your setup? What stage are you at?

I have been playing for 15 years. I've been in several bands and played everything from funk to heavy metal. Right now I'm building a bass amp. I ordered a 15 inch eminence replacement speaker and a 200 watt PA head from radio shack. It's probably not gonna be the best but I can gig with it and it is only costing me 150 buck with new equipment.

I have 3 basses but the one I use mose is a Ibanez SR300 4 string that I added a thumb rest too because I either play with my fingers or banjo picks. I had a crate combo amp with a 15 inch speaker in it at one time that I added a crossover to for kicks so I could add that speaker thumping bass sound, but that blew the speaker.

What are you playing?

"This is my Kung Fu, and it is strong."

BBS Signature

Response to Bass players 2009-05-02 16:57:11

I have a Boston rip off of a Fender something or other, that I got ripped off for when I bought it, because I didn't know how crap it was.
That was about 1 and a half years ago. I'd never played a bass guitar before that day.

I can comfortably pull off playing poppy punk rock, and that's about it.

I don't have any gear because I'm a poor bum who can't get a job. And when I do have money, going out and getting drunk takes priority over anything bass related. As does guitar and various gadgets for recording and producing.

Response to Bass players 2009-05-03 00:35:55

Playing Bass with fingers is what makes playing Bass fun.

BBS Signature

Response to Bass players 2009-05-03 07:07:34

At 5/3/09 12:35 AM, lukethexjesse wrote: Playing Bass with fingers is what makes playing Bass fun.

No, playing bass with pedals is what makes playing bass fun!

Best be knowin, MoonBurn be postin'.

Download my EP for free RIGHT NOW

BBS Signature

Response to Bass players 2009-06-23 17:02:23

No, playing bass with pedals is what makes playing bass fun!

this.
oh, and i play with a Boss equalizer pedal, a Behringer amp, an Epiphone thunderbird (white), and fingers.

Response to Bass players 2009-06-23 17:13:21

I play guitar (7 years) and bass (a year?).

I've got an Epiphone Thunderbird in black with a little Ibanez starter amp, lol. I got the bass and the amp for $100, what?

also, I play with a pick, I'm used to guitar.

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to Bass players 2009-06-23 18:38:41

Umm I use an Arbor AB410 or something like that. Which is a pretty good bass for me. I mean it's not the exact sound I am looking for but it's still pretty good for me. Although I'm actually more of a guitarist than a bassist anyways. I switch between finger-style and using a pick but I, of course, use the pick more. I like to play a melodic style of bass like my favorite bassist Tetsu from the band L'arc~en~Ciel and it makes it SOOO much easier to play that style with a pick.

Listen to my (shitty) original music! (Only if you want to.)

BBS Signature

Response to Bass players 2009-06-23 23:21:54

I recently purchased this bass, and I like it a lot.

I'm adjusting my playing, noticing the different styles sound completely different, so try to adapt to the sound I need for whatever song I'm working on. Pick or fingers. I've been practicing more with the fingers, just to get comfortable playing that way. Bought it a month ago or so. $250. Not bad. Yeah, its also a "jazz" bass...but through my podx3, I can make it sound like anything I want. :D

BBS Signature

Response to Bass players 2009-06-23 23:58:41

At 6/23/09 11:21 PM, Bad-Man-Incorporated wrote: I recently purchased this bass, and I like it a lot.

I'm adjusting my playing, noticing the different styles sound completely different, so try to adapt to the sound I need for whatever song I'm working on. Pick or fingers. I've been practicing more with the fingers, just to get comfortable playing that way. Bought it a month ago or so. $250. Not bad. Yeah, its also a "jazz" bass...but through my podx3, I can make it sound like anything I want. :D

I've got the same thing in blue. Big fan.

the 'jazz' mostly just refers to the style of pickup, they're a bit rounder than the split coil 'p' style. I prefer the neck on the jbass.

Granted I'm not much of a bass player but the squier is a really phenomenal value. My first guitar was a squier affinity strat.

Response to Bass players 2009-06-24 01:59:06

At 6/23/09 11:58 PM, loansindi wrote:
I've got the same thing in blue. Big fan.

the 'jazz' mostly just refers to the style of pickup, they're a bit rounder than the split coil 'p' style. I prefer the neck on the jbass.

Same, bit smaller of an adjustment from the guitar to it. Especially for 5 string.

Granted I'm not much of a bass player but the squier is a really phenomenal value. My first guitar was a squier affinity strat.

I don't even know if my first guitar had a brand name. :( I'm that old.

BBS Signature