Be a Supporter!

Your Duty To The Audio Portal

  • 1,530 Views
  • 80 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal Apr. 30th, 2009 @ 11:45 AM Reply

At 4/30/09 11:06 AM, HaniiPuppy wrote:
At 4/29/09 02:04 PM, Nithalahk wrote: You can't accuse me of treason, since, as the mods like to say, NG is not a democracy.
Treason is the act of going against one's king or queen, it has nothing to do with democracy.

no its not - treason is the act of going against one's COUNTRY.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
PERVOK
PERVOK
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
HaniiPuppy
HaniiPuppy
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal Apr. 30th, 2009 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 4/30/09 11:45 AM, Chronamut wrote: no its not - treason is the act of going against one's COUNTRY.

Either way, it still has nothing to do with democracy.

Syntrus
Syntrus
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Musician
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal Apr. 30th, 2009 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 4/30/09 06:08 PM, ZENON wrote: What's a review? :O

You know one of those things that ERKIE TELLS US HOW TO DO >:(


Syntrus keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006
The Madness of Kid Triangle

BBS Signature
statueofdiveo
statueofdiveo
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal Apr. 30th, 2009 @ 06:13 PM Reply

I actually appreciate genre based reviews. Mostly because I want to make sure I can make a genre before I put my spin on it.

Pure-Metal-UTA
Pure-Metal-UTA
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 1st, 2009 @ 05:41 PM Reply

That's just quite sad. There are many artists out there that want to make decent music, but it seems that people will only review the songs that are good. So that means, if a person makes a bad song, then they have no hope of getting better if they only post their music on NG, because people will think it's not worthy of review.

that's a response to the first few replies
Pure-Metal-UTA
Pure-Metal-UTA
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 1st, 2009 @ 05:48 PM Reply

Sorry for the double post

I read more of the first page
At 4/29/09 03:25 AM, Erkie wrote:
At 4/29/09 03:08 AM, JohnnyFrizz wrote: Yes you can drop a nice comment saying "WOOW MAN, you're awesom3!! I love this!"
You can't, it goes against NG's intended purpose for a review. That's why you see "People think this is a useless review." at the bottom of them in both portals. There are plenty of other places to sing your praises to an artist.

The way I see it, any praise, whether in a review or as a PM, is more useful than one would think.
Sure it gets tiring after so many people say "WOW THAT'S AWESOME!!!!1!" But that helps the artist gain more inspiration to continue making their music. With those "Useless reviews" added to constructive critisism, can make the artist even better at what they're doing.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 1st, 2009 @ 06:17 PM Reply

the way i see it - is newgrounds citizens are fucking retarded.

so many reviews I see that are awesome and helpful are rated as useless - and so many retarded one liners are rated as helpful.

in short the masses arent allowed to make the decisions.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Slipstreamer
Slipstreamer
  • Member since: Dec. 5, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 2nd, 2009 @ 03:48 AM Reply

At 4/30/09 06:11 PM, Syntrus wrote:
At 4/30/09 06:08 PM, ZENON wrote: What's a review? :O
You know one of those things that ERKIE TELLS US HOW TO DO >:(

Why are you still bitching about that?

lol

Certified audiophreak, lv 60.

BBS Signature
Erkie
Erkie
  • Member since: Jul. 16, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 2nd, 2009 @ 03:53 AM Reply

He's not.


Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|
94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature
Nekoprism
Nekoprism
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 6th, 2009 @ 08:21 AM Reply

Sorry if I'm bumping this one but I didn't see it pass and I'd like to have my 2 bits on it.

I've been on NG since the beginning of 2009. Not long I know, but here's my feeling about it.

I came here because somebody showed be incredible music on the website and I thought "jeez I should put my music here too". Than I realized there was a Forum... "Even better" I thought.

LJCoffee pre-approved my account in like 1 hour. I was freakin happy and started posting our music and started writing on the forum. Chron was probably the first to write a review on my first submissions. I was welcomed on the forums. Everybody was nice. Thx by the way! Even if I'm not a major poster, people are always nice and try to help when needed.

I know for a fact that you have to get involve in a community if you want to get known. I'm doing my best even if I have a REALLY busy life. I write reviews from time to time. I answer to those who review my stuff and I try to write on the forums more than just when I have a question for myself. I even participated in a contest and won 2nd place. Do I get more attention? Nope. I don't see more people reviewing my stuff or just plain coming to listen to it. And I consider our music pretty good. No it's not all typical stuff 'cause we try to do what we like and what we think is good music.

Do I care? Yes and no.

I care because the first reason I was coming here is to get comments on our music. I got some pretty good ones and I considered a lot of the suggestions people have made to create our last piece that will come out soon. All in all, I think I could say that I got at least 50% of the reviews that were constructive. But I got like an average of maybe 5 reviews per submissions. So yes I wish we had a little more attention, but in the end.... I don't really care 'cause I'm not here for publicity. I'm here to share our music, get to know more musicians, get feedback... I'm here because I love making music... I only wish people were just reviewing it a bit more so we could better ourselves.

Also, I think it's unfortunate that people don't go back to review artists they reviewed once and liked. I know I merely do it myself, but we should all do it! We should use the tools that our provided to use and care for the musician we like and help them grow and support them in there work. I think that personally I'll start doing it from now on to show a good example.

And to finish, yes the image that stayed in many people's mind about NG is bad. I've told many of my friends that I was posting my music here and they were saying don't go there, it's just porn, you'll get viruses... I convinced a few of them to come back and see a lot had changed but I realizes that for many people, NG isn't a nice place...

Ok... I'll stop here, but I had to say it.

Thx again for listening!
NEKO


BBS Signature
btriangle
btriangle
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 6th, 2009 @ 03:47 PM Reply

Dont worry, a new wave of talented composers are coming. And once they get noticed and popular, they will review, and the cycle continues.

JinNJuice
JinNJuice
  • Member since: May. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 6th, 2009 @ 05:29 PM Reply

My purpose for the Audio Portal is to share my music, whether people like it or not, and find more music. I don't leave a very super serious review, because it would mainly be opinions, just like anyone else, just like it should be. You don't need to listen to me if I say I find something lacking, or there is too much something. I don't know about others, but I make music because I like it, because that is what I like, because there will be someone else that likes it too.


Something needs to go here.

EmperorCharlemagne
EmperorCharlemagne
  • Member since: May. 1, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Musician
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 6th, 2009 @ 05:42 PM Reply

I pick a song (basically in the classical section only, that's my thing), and leave some constructive criticism on the song I listen to.

I try to offer my knowledge about theory and how I think the song could have fared better. Some people do not need help, so I can only offer glowing marks.

A lot of people, though, I find room to say something. I think we all need to hear constructive criticism.

Now, if my piece gets approved and validated, you can all give me constructive criticism too! : )


If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.
~Morton Feldman
Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 6th, 2009 @ 08:05 PM Reply

my purpose is to have fun and be me - and thats what your purposes should be too.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
DjZeaklous
DjZeaklous
  • Member since: Feb. 9, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 6th, 2009 @ 08:21 PM Reply

At 4/29/09 02:41 AM, JohnnyFrizz wrote:
I dont know if some of you have noticed this, but the songs on the Top 5 and Top 30 are getting really few reviews and Im not speaking for the popular artists here, but for the new and unknown musicians that are getting their first tops and their first chances of exposure on the site.

When I got my first Top 5 back in 2008 with my song Stadium Wave, I was amazed by the reception it got from the users and specially from the artists, it got almost a hundred reviews in only 3 days and now I am finding tracks that end up with merely 40 reviews by the end of the week like this one: View - Breathless and I mean, its not the most amazing track in the world! But come on it is has a pretty decent mixing, pretty decent length and for me its a fairly good piece.

My point here, is that the veteran (experienced) musicians on the site are no longer giving feedback to the portal that has seen them grow (as artists) as they once did

So, you want more spam "reviews"? As it is, at least 3/4 of those reviews on that song are spam. They are Comments not reviews! I would much rather prefer one or two good, helpful reviews that 100 spam comments like, "Good job" or something to that extent. I agree in that we need more good reviews but I disagree in needing that many by most people. Most people don't leave a good review because they are immature or just too lazy. A third reason is because their reviews aren't noticed because of all of the spam comments that flood their review to the next page. If people actually left good reviews, discussed here, then yes, I would say, to keep em coming! But as it is, I would not want more spam comments.


"Everything is permissible for me"-but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me"-but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12-13

BBS Signature
JinNJuice
JinNJuice
  • Member since: May. 3, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Artist
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 7th, 2009 @ 05:24 PM Reply

At 5/6/09 08:05 PM, Chronamut wrote: my purpose is to have fun and be me - and thats what your purposes should be too.

The very concise words that we should follow. I love music!


Something needs to go here.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 8th, 2009 @ 06:06 PM Reply

At 5/8/09 01:27 PM, LaForge wrote:
At 5/1/09 06:17 PM, Chronamut wrote: the way i see it - is newgrounds citizens are fucking retarded.

so many reviews I see that are awesome and helpful are rated as useless - and so many retarded one liners are rated as helpful.

in short the masses arent allowed to make the decisions.
The mod's favorite line is "NG is not a democracy." And besides that, as far as reviews go, the masses are the only factor. But it's like you said, the masses are retarded (or, more likely and less bigoted, thirteen year olds).

It's best to go outside and stop worrying about the internet. The very, very best.

I agree man - and its so very very nice outside right now - I am def. gonna be spending more time in the real world and less time in the imaginary world where 13 years olds have so much power over the emotional well being of thousands of 16 -30 year olds on this site.


Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Nekoprism
Nekoprism
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 8th, 2009 @ 10:39 PM Reply

I agree man - and its so very very nice outside right now - I am def. gonna be spending more time in the real world and less time in the imaginary world where 13 years olds have so much power over the emotional well being of thousands of 16 -30 year olds on this site.

Amen!


BBS Signature
KgZ
KgZ
  • Member since: Apr. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 8th, 2009 @ 11:40 PM Reply

Most people don't feel like writing negative reviews for songs they don't like unless they want the attention, which explains why the OP feels less people review the top 5 and 30.


www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

spikel
spikel
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your Duty To The Audio Portal May. 10th, 2009 @ 06:34 PM Reply

To those of you that get over 10 reviews be thankful!

I get 0-3 reviews on my songs. D;