00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

2,635,732 Views | 29,794 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-16 10:39:25

Does 2-player mode not work for anyone else? It skips through all levels really fast, and although it gave me the medal for completing it, I can't get the other ones.

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-16 12:24:37

At 8/16/12 10:39 AM, Knuckstrike wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/600946
Does 2-player mode not work for anyone else? It skips through all levels really fast, and although it gave me the medal for completing it, I can't get the other ones.

Same here. I PMed the author about it.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-16 15:02:47

New game...

Unfortunately, it has awful controls, and lags like crazy for me.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-16 16:17:08

Thanks guys , !

signature:show();

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-16 17:00:36

At 8/16/12 03:02 PM, SFS1313 wrote: New game...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/601189

The lag is not only on your side.
After making my browser almost the only thing running on my computer, I could finally play this game well. Unfortunately, it's not possible for me to record a video of this game getting 50 points, as the lag is horrible while recording it. It makes it unplayable.

For now, has anyone found any of the "special" zombies?

If you want to get 50 points, what you should do is turn back at the start and warp through the teleporter. Kill the zombies, and take the red hoop through a small gap between stones to the right of the hoop. Then go down, and fly under the rock.
Kill the zombies here, and take the hoop through another gap to the left. Fly in the direction of eight o' clock to another red hoop, and kill a lot of zombies here. At the end there will be another red hoop. Go through it and go back to the previous red hoop. Go down a level and go through the teleporter, killing a lot of zombies.

Now it's a piece of cake. Kill the zombies above from where you spawn, and then take the red hoop all the way to the left. You'll have to push a crate, which is only possible if you have the speed boost from the hoop. Now kill the zombie row while keeping low and going through another hoop. Hopefully, you will have enough time to do it all.

Be sure to take every red hoop: you don't have a lot of time. It's not as important that you kill every zombie. You can miss a few.

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-16 19:39:31

At 8/16/12 05:00 PM, Knuckstrike wrote: The lag is not only on your side.
After making my browser almost the only thing running on my computer, I could finally play this game well. Unfortunately, it's not possible for me to record a video of this game getting 50 points, as the lag is horrible while recording it. It makes it unplayable.

Good to know. Is there any reason why this is? Certain games seem to lag, while others work just fine. And what's even weirder, is that games that are smaller in size sometimes lag, but larger games sometimes don't? Is it something the developers do in the process of making their games that makes this happen?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-16 20:15:19

At 8/16/12 03:02 PM, SFS1313 wrote: New game...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/601189

Maybe it's time you got new computers. The game runs perfectly fine for me. In fact if anything I found it hard to control because it runs too fast. But I do agree the controls are shocking. Not being able to speed up/slow down does make it rather tricky.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-16 20:43:02

At 8/16/12 07:39 PM, SFS1313 wrote:
At 8/16/12 05:00 PM, Knuckstrike wrote: The lag is not only on your side.
Good to know. Is there any reason why this is? Certain games seem to lag, while others work just fine. And what's even weirder, is that games that are smaller in size sometimes lag, but larger games sometimes don't? Is it something the developers do in the process of making their games that makes this happen?

There are several reasons why a game may lag, and often times it comes down to just bad game making, or not giving a $#!t about older computers with resource intensive graphics and physics.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-16 21:34:37

At 8/16/12 08:15 PM, gamejunkie wrote: Maybe it's time you got new computers. The game runs perfectly fine for me. In fact if anything I found it hard to control because it runs too fast. But I do agree the controls are shocking. Not being able to speed up/slow down does make it rather tricky.

I probably do, as my computer's about 3 or 4 years old. Unfortunately, that's not in the cards at the moment. I just find it odd, because the game's listed at about 7 mb in size. But other games, like Super Adventure Pals for instance, is listed at around 14 mb in size and plays just fine with no lag whatsoever. That's why I'm leaning more toward Edy's explanation (because I've had the same issue before with other games on the site).

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 04:30:49

At 8/16/12 09:34 PM, SFS1313 wrote:
At 8/16/12 08:15 PM, gamejunkie wrote: Maybe it's time you got new computers. The game runs perfectly fine for me. In fact if anything I found it hard to control because it runs too fast. But I do agree the controls are shocking. Not being able to speed up/slow down does make it rather tricky.
I probably do, as my computer's about 3 or 4 years old. Unfortunately, that's not in the cards at the moment. I just find it odd, because the game's listed at about 7 mb in size. But other games, like Super Adventure Pals for instance, is listed at around 14 mb in size and plays just fine with no lag whatsoever. That's why I'm leaning more toward Edy's explanation (because I've had the same issue before with other games on the site).

There are several things that go on in a computer, and part of game design is being able to make the game perform smoothly.

To put some ideas of performance out there, the game I had for beta testing ran 11 fps on my POS laptop, while it ran 30 fps for some people. Yet the same people can hardly play flash games that use Unity 3D. On the other hand, my POS laptop can play some flash games perfectly fine. Why is that? There's two main resources for computer games: processing power, and memory size.

Processing power is basically the computer thinking. Every time the computer calculates 1 + 1, that's processing power at work (though tbh 1 + 1 is ludicrously fast and happens on the order of hundreds of million calcs per second). Flash works in a single execution thread, including rendering, so there's pretty much nothing more to discuss in terms of computer architecture.

Memory size is how much stuff the computer should remember, such as what kind of sword and shield your guy has. There's many different levels of memory access, with the fastest types also being the smallest. RAM and hard drive space are types of memory. RAM is generally what you'd use for most applications and executables. However, if your computer has to resort to using hard drive space for memory (not just storage), there's going to be significant slowdowns since the hard drive wasn't designed to run a program that might require instantaneous input/output.

Having said that, usually the cause of lag would be processing power, especially in games with vector graphics. Vector graphics do not use pixels, but instead are a set of instructions telling the computer how to draw something. It's easy for the computer to put a pre-rendered picture somewhere on the screen (such as a PNG), but it's harder to "draw" the picture and then put it on the screen. Now imagine doing that every 30-60 frames per second. It's even worse with 3D graphics. Even though you'll NEVER see this in Flash, 3D animation studios such as Pixar take HOURS to draw a single frame in their movies. But once they've done that, they store the picture into memory and convert it into formats that can perform much faster than raw rendering.

Certain other instances of good/bad programming that results in good/bad performance:
-- Matt's Bullet Heaven game actually does a pretty damn nice job of running as fast as possible, considering that there's a ton of bullets flying around at any given time. Though I haven't seen the source code, I'd have to say he used a ton of programming tricks to get this to work.
-- I don't remember the name of this game, though if the phrase "Magic Rock Get!" means anything.... Basically it lagged horribly on old computers, because it was trying to render the ENTIRE map, which is orders of magnitude larger than the screen.
-- The medal game Flooded Village had a really awful habit of lagging hard if you flooded multiple tiles at once.
-- The medal game StickMan Sam 10 seemed like a continuous flow until you run into later levels, where you'll notice some elements moving or appearing/disappearing. This is achieved by keeping levels you aren't playing in memory, while the script tells the computer to render only the current level.

Personally I think a computer that's 3-4 years old still has plenty of uses left for it, and playing flash games is certainly one of them. Also imo, while Madness: Project Nexus was a great game, the amount of lag in it was unacceptable. There's simply way too much going on.

Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 08:17:02

At 8/15/12 08:51 PM, Shantom wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/600963
2 more medals.

Anyone else having problems getting thee brutal - King of the portal medal to unlock. I am after having deleted the sol three times and refreshing

Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.

I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!

AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 08:57:17

At 8/17/12 08:17 AM, MatthewF wrote:
At 8/15/12 08:51 PM, Shantom wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/600963
2 more medals.
Anyone else having problems getting thee brutal - King of the portal medal to unlock. I am after having deleted the sol three times and refreshing

That's not the medal you're missing.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 09:04:30

At 8/17/12 08:17 AM, MatthewF wrote:
2 more medals.

I remember I had this problem at first. Refreshed few times and got it. Not sure what is the problem =/

New game:

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 09:24:42

At 8/17/12 04:30 AM, Fooliolo wrote: There are several things that go on in a computer, and part of game design is being able to make the game perform smoothly...

Thanks for the response, Fooliolo! While I couldn't quote your whole post, and didn't understand everything you said 100% (remember, computer illiterate. I'm lucky if I can turn the damn thing on most days), I got enough of it to get a clearer picture as to why sometimes the game I'm playing lags, or (very rarely) get an annoying pop up in the corner of my screen saying something about too much memory being used.

So much appreciation your way for once again for indulging my curiosities and questions when it comes to this annoying little laptop I have. :)

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 09:34:19

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 14:05:11

At 8/15/12 04:49 PM, Fooliolo wrote:
At 8/15/12 03:20 PM, SFS1313 wrote: Another new game...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/601051
Anybody figure out the word? Because I'm stumped.
I think it's also interesting to note that Abbabeb is spelled wrong. Perhaps intentionally?

Can somebody PM the answer?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 14:40:21

At 8/17/12 02:05 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/15/12 04:49 PM, Fooliolo wrote:
At 8/15/12 03:20 PM, SFS1313 wrote: Another new game...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/601051
Anybody figure out the word? Because I'm stumped.
I think it's also interesting to note that Abbabeb is spelled wrong. Perhaps intentionally?
Can somebody PM the answer?

Me too thanks :-)

Btw....."Tequila Zombies 2" medals seems not work (at least for me)

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 14:42:22

Sent both.

<3

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 15:01:25

At 8/17/12 02:42 PM, Syrreal wrote: Sent both.

Can you please send me the answer too :).

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 15:37:29

At 8/17/12 03:01 PM, Decky wrote:

Done.

<3

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 16:15:13

At 8/17/12 03:01 PM, Decky wrote:

for me to please

and one think - in "When Saws Align" is here someone with all medals?
and i think in part three, that lvls is broken?
i play few lvl in part three and next lvl is first

thx for sing to illicit

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-17 19:51:14

At 8/17/12 04:15 PM, DepresiveNeko wrote: for me to please

and one think - in "When Saws Align" is here someone with all medals?
and i think in part three, that lvls is broken?
i play few lvl in part three and next lvl is first

Sent.
That game is incomplete. The author said that he didn't add these medals yet.
And I don't think he will :P

At 8/17/12 02:40 PM, Ray80 wrote: Btw....."Tequila Zombies 2" medals seems not work (at least for me)

Same ._.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-18 13:59:22

At 8/17/12 08:57 AM, Knuckstrike wrote:
At 8/17/12 08:17 AM, MatthewF wrote: Anyone else having problems getting thee brutal - King of the portal medal to unlock. I am after having deleted the sol three times and refreshing
That's not the medal you're missing.

Thanks I got it now I do feel like an idiot......

Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.

I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!

AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-18 15:57:25

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-19 07:24:30

I see that many people have gotten medals from this game recently. So new game, I guess:

Any idea what you're supposed to do in the math level?

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-19 12:08:58

At 8/19/12 07:24 AM, Knuckstrike wrote: I see that many people have gotten medals from this game recently. So new game, I guess:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/565666

Well I got the first 2 medals, (I thought I had got more than that) but now I'm clueless as to what to do. Some help with the rest of the medals would be nice, please.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-19 12:38:05

At 8/19/12 12:08 PM, gamejunkie wrote:
At 8/19/12 07:24 AM, Knuckstrike wrote: I see that many people have gotten medals from this game recently. So new game, I guess:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/565666
Well I got the first 2 medals, (I thought I had got more than that) but now I'm clueless as to what to do. Some help with the rest of the medals would be nice, please.

For the qwerty medal you need to press I on the keyboard game and then press play. After the movie you will get the medal.

You need to glitch your way up the stairs to your left for the mario/megaman medal. I don't know how I did it, but don't go too far in the wall.

For the rest, I have no idea.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-19 13:08:19

At 8/19/12 12:59 PM, SmashLuigiFan1 wrote: Also, I still don't get how to jump over the staircase in the Mario level. I try to jump off the wall multiple times but can only do it once. I feel like I'm doing something wrong,

That happens most of the time for me as well. Just try fiddling around with it, and it may just work.
I didn't press right when I managed to climb all the way to the top. That may help.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-19 13:14:08

Tequilla Zombies 2 medals now work. So if you had a few badges, just continue the game and you should get them to show in your profile. Though, the RockyDennys (kill 65 bosses/mini-bosses) didn't want to unlock for me.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2012-08-19 19:56:02

At 8/19/12 12:59 PM, SmashLuigiFan1 wrote: In the math level, you need to put "10+0*10/1=" in that order.

Actually all you have to do in that level is make the equation equal 100. Cause 100 is a theme in this game. Y'know, loading, 100%, stuff.

Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!