00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sodacomics just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,791,848 Views | 34,319 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 01:32:59

fun is definitely in my top 5 of radio bands

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 01:43:01

I say screw fun. Their latest album was completely dumb. Aim and Ignite was great.

Listen to the Format, they were brilliant. Basically Nate and this guy Sam Means going buck wild on an orchestral, jazzy, rag time, pop album that you can actually appreciate since it wasn't tainted with a bunch of mainstream copouts writing techniques.

Still, happy that they are a well known group now. But I play the hipster card.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 08:16:17

At 4/18/13 01:43 AM, frootza wrote: the hipster card.

I never really understood exactly why people get so much satisfaction out of listening to bands most others haven't heard of. Listening to obscure music doesn't actually equate to having superior taste, y'know? I mean, I guess it's cool to be able to introduce people to music they haven't heard, but there's no real reason to feel like you're above someone for sharing with them.

I don't have a problem with hipsters, I just don't understand their angle.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 10:28:46

At 4/17/13 07:31 PM, krssvr wrote:
FUN. is gay.
C'mon boozy can't you put away your hipster glasses for just a second and admit they actually make good music even if not to your taste? I know you listen to the only the manliest and sexually secure music around but still, this is a much needed breath of fresh air in the Pop world.

Tbh, it's just because of their song 'We Are Young' that I don't like them. That song is a fucking earrape IMO, and because it was the first song of FUN that I heard I immediatly developed some hatred against them. Soz

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 10:44:25

TBH I think Fun. isn't really a good band. Hell, I think most modern indie/mainstream bands are pretty bad.
No, I'm not a hipster.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 11:19:17

At 4/18/13 08:16 AM, SuperBastard wrote: I never really understood exactly why people get so much satisfaction out of listening to bands most others haven't heard of. Listening to obscure music doesn't actually equate to having superior taste, y'know? I mean, I guess it's cool to be able to introduce people to music they haven't heard, but there's no real reason to feel like you're above someone for sharing with them.

It's different to everyone I think. I think it's nice to just discover new and actually good music. Some of the obscure bands are a lot more original and interesting than the "mainstream" bands. A lot of people feel the same to a certain degree. I think the word hippster once meant someone who was aware of the current developments in the world of art. Only it the last couple of years it became used as a negativity by people who were jealous or annoyed by people who were more connected to art than they were. They were weird and scary, because they didn't just like the mainstream things everyone was "supposed" to like. On top of that the annoyance was fueled by people who like to act different because they like to feel better than everyone else. That becomes more and more the standard among hipsters. The "new wave" hipsters that only listen to music no one else knows so they can pretend to be more aware and thus, in their minds, better than ordinary people. And some people just like to be hated. They want to be part of a group they know isn't appreciated, so they will receive negative attention. Just my view.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 11:31:41

At 4/18/13 11:19 AM, SourJovis wrote:
At 4/18/13 08:16 AM, SuperBastard wrote: I never really understood exactly why people get so much satisfaction out of listening to bands most others haven't heard of. Listening to obscure music doesn't actually equate to having superior taste, y'know? I mean, I guess it's cool to be able to introduce people to music they haven't heard, but there's no real reason to feel like you're above someone for sharing with them.

the annoyance was fueled by people who like to act different because they like to feel better than everyone else. That becomes more and more the standard among hipsters. The "new wave" hipsters that only listen to music no one else knows so they can pretend to be more aware and thus, in their minds, better than ordinary people.

This is what I was saying I don't really get. Sure it's great to listen to fresh sounds from artists who aren't influenced by mainstream music, but to think it makes you better than someone who doesn't share your mentality just makes no sense. Maybe they think of it as some kind of hidden knowledge or enlightenment that only they can achieve, or something.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 12:33:10

I'm not a hipster, but I did write a thesis paper on hipsters.

It's disheartening when this series of events happens in this order...

1. You find an underground artist, and enjoy them for a year +
2. This band gets signed to a major label and gets big promo (no problem here, good for them! Yay!)
3. Everyone knows about said artist now (also, yay cool!)
4. Mainstream fans now love said artist, and claim to have been listening to them since they first formed (Boo! You are a liar you don't know them! What the hell bro?)

It's this false ownership that really grinds my gears, and probably yours too. But, it is pretty much unavoidable.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 13:42:37

At 4/18/13 01:31 PM, Braiton wrote:
At 4/18/13 12:33 PM, frootza wrote: I'm not a hipster, but I did write a thesis paper on hipsters.
I don't see how this "false ownership" bothers you. If you enjoy the music you enjoy the music. Why would you care about what everyone else says? I'd only be bothered if the band started releasing songs of lesser quality as a product of their going mainstream.

Do you care when someone acts deceitful just to seem like they have good musical taste? It is just this pathological lying.

It would be a different story if people admitted that they found the band after they seen the MTV video.

But people lie and say "Yeah I started listening them before they even made their first album." which is often a lie! (If you know these people personally, they are Taylor Swift fans)

I'm just explaining a social phenomenon which bothers a lot of people.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 13:57:26

At 4/18/13 01:48 PM, Braiton wrote:
At 4/18/13 01:42 PM, frootza wrote:
At 4/18/13 01:31 PM, Braiton wrote:

Nope. It's a "good for you" or "congratulations champ" reaction from me. I said it before, I only care about the music and not about when some random dude claimed to start listening to said band. Does listening to a band before someone else did make you special? If you've been supporting a band since it's earlier years you should be more than content to have supported them since the beginning, and helped them grow, right.

Did you skip over my first post? I made sure to emphasize that it is great if the band gets promo and exposure. The only issue here is when people lie about it.

Does it make someone special? In a way, yeah, it does because if I was supporting them from the beginning, what gives random dude the right to claim that he has been supporting them from the beginning if he actually hasn't?

Let's say that someone who had never heard of Newgrounds in their life started claiming that they heard of xKore when he first started making music. Would you call them out on it? Or tell them "congrats"?

I would call them out and say, "No you haven't he started on the Newgrounds Audio Portal ya dingus."

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 14:36:48

At 4/18/13 01:57 PM, frootza wrote: Did you skip over my first post? I made sure to emphasize that it is great if the band gets promo and exposure. The only issue here is when people lie about it.

who cares people lie about stuff all of the time.

Does it make someone special? In a way, yeah, it does because if I was supporting them from the beginning, what gives random dude the right to claim that he has been supporting them from the beginning if he actually hasn't?

this is the kind of psychotic reasoning that causes artists to hate their fans.

Let's say that someone who had never heard of Newgrounds in their life started claiming that they heard of xKore when he first started making music. Would you call them out on it? Or tell them "congrats"?

maybe they were friends on MSN or maybe he heard xKore through another newgrounds user? and even if he was lying about it, it really doesn't matter.

I would call them out and say, "No you haven't he started on the Newgrounds Audio Portal ya dingus."

congratulations on making life harder and more awkward for yourself and anyone else that happens to be near you.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 14:58:42

At 4/18/13 12:33 PM, frootza wrote: I'm not a hipster, but I did write a thesis paper on hipsters.

It's disheartening when this series of events happens in this order...

1. You find an underground artist, and enjoy them for a year +
2. This band gets signed to a major label and gets big promo (no problem here, good for them! Yay!)
3. Everyone knows about said artist now (also, yay cool!)
4. Mainstream fans now love said artist, and claim to have been listening to them since they first formed (Boo! You are a liar you don't know them! What the hell bro?)

It's this false ownership that really grinds my gears, and probably yours too. But, it is pretty much unavoidable.

I kind of expected your 4th point to be "Said artist starts to bend their style toward more popular music in order to continue being popular," but what you instead wrote is purely based on petty pride.

It seems that you're taking the perspective of the hipster, regarding "mainstream" fans as below you because they "weren't there from the beginning," and stating that they're worse people because they lie about how long they've been listening to an artist. For one, most people won't lie about it and will say they saw the artist's video on MTV (does that still happen?) or whatever. If you do encounter a poser though, you can just think, "clearly they appreciate the music enough to wish they really had heard it first," and you can choose to take it as an indirect compliment on your musical taste.

There's really no reason to let it bother you. They just want to be cool like you are.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 16:02:00

Strange activity
So, moved to new house for some days, no internet, so, wasn't on NG for a while.
Suddenly, after this NG pause I see a lot of activities, some friend requests from people I never heard of, some long PM with a script for voice acting competition (I never did VA and never went to VA threads) and somebody added me as a project manager for a movie I never heard of...
Was somebody else posting from my account or something?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 16:05:00

At 4/18/13 04:02 PM, sorohanro wrote: Was somebody else posting from my account or something?

I hoped you'd never find out

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 16:20:45

At 4/18/13 04:05 PM, FairSquare wrote:
At 4/18/13 04:02 PM, sorohanro wrote: Was somebody else posting from my account or something?

At least you could hook me up with some cool people, but nooooo, now I am a manager of a movie about balls of a dragon... or something...

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 16:30:20

At 4/18/13 04:20 PM, sorohanro wrote:
At least you could hook me up with some cool people, but nooooo, now I am a manager of a movie about balls of a dragon... or something...

Dragonball Z?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 16:36:17

At 4/18/13 04:30 PM, LiquidOoze wrote:
Dragonball Z?

I tried to hook you up with this amazing composer who is also a hot woman with loads of connections in the music business, but when i told her that ''i'' played the trumpet she seemed to lose all interest and said i was gay

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 21:11:28

Need to know an awesome music video (with awesome music too, of course). Any era, any genre, must have vocals and no anime.

GO GO GO!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 21:27:26

At 4/18/13 09:11 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Need to know an awesome music video (with awesome music too, of course). Any era, any genre, must have vocals and no anime.

GO GO GO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 22:03:39

At 4/18/13 09:11 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Need to know an awesome music video (with awesome music too, of course). Any era, any genre, must have vocals and no anime.

GO GO GO!

This one is pretty cool

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-18 23:47:35

At 4/18/13 02:36 PM, jarrydn wrote:
At 4/18/13 01:57 PM, frootza wrote:

maybe they were friends on MSN or maybe he heard xKore through another newgrounds user? and even if he was lying about it, it really doesn't matter.
congratulations on making life harder and more awkward for yourself and anyone else that happens to be near you.

Is this some kind of sick joke? I don't care either way. I'm explaining (in an oversimplified way) the hipster mentality based on my own and a Professor's sociological research, and I get insulted by someone who I've never talked to in my life. Congrats, dude! I hope this is how you behave in your personal endeavors.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-19 01:06:01

sausage fest

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-19 01:59:21

At 4/19/13 01:58 AM, Corbetto wrote:
At 4/19/13 01:06 AM, Sequenced wrote: sausage fest
peanut fest

here we go again
cashew fest

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-19 02:35:25

At 4/18/13 11:47 PM, frootza wrote:

Is this some kind of sick joke? I don't care either way. I'm explaining (in an oversimplified way) the hipster mentality based on my own and a Professor's sociological research, and I get insulted by someone who I've never talked to in my life. Congrats, dude! I hope this is how you behave in your personal endeavors.

no. you're explaining your perception of the "hipster" mentality and how it ruins your sense of entitlement to the meta-ownership of someone else's creative output.

i was simply pointing out that it's ludicrous.

yes this is how i behave in my personal endeavors. and before you get your professor to do sociological research on me, i can confirm that i have friends (you can cite that if you need to)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-19 10:21:26

At 4/19/13 02:35 AM, jarrydn wrote:
At 4/18/13 11:47 PM, frootza wrote:

Ooh like the rap artist? :D

... seriously though, it's nice to have listened to a NG artist before said person "made it", but that's nothing to wave in front of a new fans face.

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-19 10:46:28

At 4/19/13 01:59 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
peanut fest
cashew fest

ice cream fest?

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-19 10:52:47

At 4/19/13 10:46 AM, ZipZipper wrote:
At 4/19/13 01:59 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
peanut fest
cashew fest
ice cream fest?

ice cream fest!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-19 14:51:19

At 4/18/13 04:30 PM, LiquidOoze wrote:
Dragonball Z?

Maybe it's a movie about actual balls of a dragon... o_O

On another note, anyone feel collabing with someone over a track is more fun than doing it by yourself?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-19 15:47:41

At 4/19/13 10:21 AM, ZENON wrote:
At 4/19/13 02:35 AM, jarrydn wrote:
Ooh like the rap artist? :D

... seriously though, it's nice to have listened to a NG artist before said person "made it", but that's nothing to wave in front of a new fans face.

Yay! Finally, somebody gets it. Glad that nightmare is over.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-04-19 18:54:55

At 4/19/13 02:35 AM, jarrydn wrote: no. you're explaining your perception of the "hipster" mentality and how it ruins your sense of entitlement to the meta-ownership of someone else's creative output.

so cray

worded that beautifully tho