00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

littlefoot970 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,795,163 Views | 34,319 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 17:16:37

At 12/14/12 04:55 PM, The-iMortal wrote:
Lol, my last set of speakers died due to me never turning them off, even at night. So when I bought an expensive monitoring system, I have been taking extra good care of them and am extremely anal about turning them off when they're not in use.

I use a power distributor for my entire basement, and at the end of everynight (unless i fall asleep in the studio) i flick the main switch.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 17:27:55

At 12/14/12 05:16 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: I use a power distributor for my entire basement, and at the end of everynight (unless i fall asleep in the studio) i flick the main switch.

Nice.

On another topic, has anybody here acoustically treated their studio?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 17:31:06

At 12/14/12 05:14 PM, MrSaint wrote:
At 12/14/12 04:55 PM, The-iMortal wrote:
Lol, my last set of speakers died due to me never turning them off, even at night. So when I bought an expensive monitoring system, I have been taking extra good care of them and am extremely anal about turning them off when they're not in use.
Anal.

The term retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal, is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the anal-retentive person.

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 17:35:35

At 12/14/12 05:31 PM, Mich wrote: The term retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal, is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the anal-retentive person.

Yes, the sound of the power switches clicking many times per day annoys my family and now they want to kill me.

problem?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 17:37:09

At 12/14/12 05:27 PM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 12/14/12 05:16 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: I use a power distributor for my entire basement, and at the end of everynight (unless i fall asleep in the studio) i flick the main switch.
Nice.

On another topic, has anybody here acoustically treated their studio?

If I'd call my bedroom my studio, then no. I mix on headphones only so I don't care about acoustics *braces for comments on how to mix properly*

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 18:10:21

At 12/14/12 05:37 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: If I'd call my bedroom my studio, then no. I mix on headphones only so I don't care about acoustics *braces for comments on how to mix properly*

newb! u at leest yuuz skullcandies? pros only yuuz skullcandies!

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 18:20:40

Studio treatment

I've got a pretty tiny room that holds my desk and computer, and it's pretty awful to mix in. At I guess about 120Hz, the bass resonates ridiculously, so if I'd do any real mixing on speakers, I'd end up with a pretty big gap in there. I'm not currently into music production that much to warrant spending anything on treating the room though; and if I was, I doubt there's a lot to salvage from this space.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 18:27:06

At 12/14/12 06:20 PM, Mich wrote: Studio treatment

Know any friends that work in a retail outlet and may have access to packing foam?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 19:29:05

At 12/14/12 06:10 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 12/14/12 05:37 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: If I'd call my bedroom my studio, then no. I mix on headphones only so I don't care about acoustics *braces for comments on how to mix properly*

bitch plz, u must uze beatz by dre

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 20:29:43

Update

Fuck you guys.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 20:33:35

At 12/14/12 08:29 PM, loansindi wrote: Update

Fuck you guys.

Where the fuck have you been?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 20:34:11

At 12/14/12 08:33 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:

Fuck you guys.

he's been in his hole

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 20:35:28

At 12/14/12 08:33 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:

Fuck you guys.

Oh you know. On tour, then in Massachusetts. I just moved to Chicago permanent-like. Now I live in the suburbs and commute like some fucking corporate drone to a job where I get to swear and make noise (unlike a corporate drone) .

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 20:38:06

At 12/14/12 08:35 PM, loansindi wrote: a job where I get to swear and make noise (unlike a corporate drone) .

Up until a month or so ago I worked in a mechanic shop so I got to do that as well. It's awesome isn't it?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-14 23:46:56

Fuck you guys.

no u.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 01:44:28

I love Dream (Part Two) so much that I picked up the guitar for the first time in months just to learn it.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 02:04:22

At 12/14/12 05:27 PM, The-iMortal wrote: On another topic, has anybody here acoustically treated their studio?

I work with reps from Auralex & Dual Acoustics man. That's one of my fortes. You looking to buy, build, or just get advice?

At 12/14/12 08:35 PM, loansindi wrote: I just moved to Chicago permanent-like.

Bro, get outta my city bro.

West side story bro.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 02:11:16

At 12/15/12 01:44 AM, The-iMortal wrote: I love Dream (Part Two) so much that I picked up the guitar for the first time in months just to learn it.

D'awww shucks....

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 02:23:32

Just Bought Audio Technica ATH-M50s, Anyone else had these? whats your opinion.

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me

Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 02:23:54

At 12/15/12 02:23 AM, krssvr wrote: Just Bought Audio Technica ATH-M50s, Anyone else had these? whats your opinion.

headphones give me ear fatigue...

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 02:30:10

At 12/15/12 02:23 AM, Sequenced wrote:
At 12/15/12 02:23 AM, krssvr wrote: Just Bought Audio Technica ATH-M50s, Anyone else had these? whats your opinion.
headphones give me ear fatigue...

your ears are pansies

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me

Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 02:58:33

At 12/15/12 02:04 AM, Breed wrote:
At 12/14/12 05:27 PM, The-iMortal wrote: On another topic, has anybody here acoustically treated their studio?
I work with reps from Auralex & Dual Acoustics man. That's one of my fortes. You looking to buy, build, or just get advice?

If I had the money, I'd be looking to buy, but I have asked the parents to get me some acoustic treatment for Christmas if they can find some good deals. I recommended some bass traps, as these seem to be cheaper, and the main reason I want acoustic treatment is to create "one-note-bass".

I wouldn't mind some advice, as I really have no idea when it comes to acoustic foams. Here is a quickly done blueprint of my bedroom. Tips?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 02:59:46

At 12/15/12 02:58 AM, The-iMortal wrote: Here is a quickly done blueprint of my bedroom.

Bleh.

waiting because Newgrounds says I'm trying to double post
OMG IT POSTED

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 10:33:58

At 12/14/12 06:10 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:

I use Shure SRH440 headphones, no worries.

I-Mortal, why don't you and your gf sleep in the same bed? :P

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 10:57:25

At 12/15/12 10:33 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: I-Mortal, why don't you and your gf sleep in the same bed? :P
CAPTAIN KILLJOY TO THE RESCUE

I don't think he sleeps with his gf. He has trouble getting up.

if you're a blunt twit, that was a sexual innuendo
no worries Mortal-Man I gots your back

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 12:43:08

Well first important thing is getting the desk in a better place. You want the desk to be centered on one of the walls. Next thing is to get your monitors pointed at you and not lined up straight with the desk. Your ears should create a perfect equilateral triangle with the speakers. This alone will give you a more accurate sound.

What I added in is an ideal way to start acoustic treatment in a room, but there is some stuff i couldnt add because its 2d. You also want to cover first reflections on the ceiling. Also, since the back wall is brick, you may want to consider adding a few extra back absorbers so as to kill that wall just a bit more. Although killing the sound in the room isnt the goal, but brick is particularly reflective.

There's also the chance that the door and window might be right where your first side reflections are, so you may have to be sneaky about that one. For windows....well personally I'd cover the window just like its a wall, but for more aesthetically pleasing of a look, you could build something that could hang there over the window whenever you want it to. The door....yes that needs foam on it if its in the way....but again it may be a bit strange looking.

The bass traps are misleading to many. The mistake I see a lot of people make is putting the bass traps wayyyy up in the top corner, but you actually benefit more from it being treated more like a first corner reflection. This means that it will be at speaker height in the corner. You also may need more 4 bass traps. In that case, I suggest putting them somewhere else and not just stacking them in the corner. Just always make sure its a reflection point. Meaning that if you put a mirror there and sat in your chair like you were gonna do a mixdown, you could see the speaker in the mirror (for corners you need two mirrors).

Buying foam is pretty expensive, so don't get too excited unless you have about 500 bucks to drop on a roominators kit or something. Building is not a bad idea, but you have to do some research as to what material is ideal, and you have to know a thing or two about carpentry.

Oh and I didnt even get into soundproofing or diffusion. Those are usually more time consuming or money consuming additional benefits. Same with power conditioners which are like surge protectors that are designed for sound people. Believe it or not, but a regular surge protector creates a good amount of noise.

/rant

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 12:44:11

oh right.....the picture.

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 12:59:16

At 12/15/12 12:44 PM, Breed wrote: oh right.....the picture.

I need money to do that.

x.x

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 13:32:20

My room is pretty much a no-go when it comes to acoustics. First of all it's not even square-like, and the ceiling part above the right side of my bed isn't horizontal but descends in a 45 degree angle. All my walls are plastered though, which is a pro I think.
Also that cut-off top left corner just fucks it up even more.

The Audio Forum Lounge

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-15 13:33:44

They've been my 1-size-fits-all (studio, homework, walking around...) headphones for the past year or two. I love em. Good build quality, solid detail in the mids and highs. They're a bit bass-heavy, but that's okay (especially when compared to the tragically-lacking-in-bass HD280Pros).