00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,783,383 Views | 34,324 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 09:31:28

binaural headphones are supposed to be noticably great when listening to binaural recordings...

so yeah unless you're listening to this guy then i don't really see the big deal

p.s. i am gay

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 09:37:22

At 7/25/11 07:24 AM, DJHeat wrote: we have easter because it's jesus's birthday (I think, sorry if i'm wrong :/)

I always wondered why people hide eggs and stuff with easter. But now i know.
Jesus was hatched instead of born.
Hence why he only has a mother.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 09:50:36

At 7/25/11 09:36 AM, Chronamut wrote: they also record in binaural einstein :P

might have helped if you'd mentioned that earlier munchausen

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 09:53:37

At 7/25/11 09:37 AM, FairSquare wrote:
At 7/25/11 07:24 AM, DJHeat wrote: we have easter because it's jesus's birthday (I think, sorry if i'm wrong :/)
I always wondered why people hide eggs and stuff with easter. But now i know.
Jesus was hatched instead of born.
Hence why he only has a mother.

He was hatched from an infertile egg?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 09:56:34

At 7/25/11 06:57 AM, YouriX wrote: Christian or a non-christian Girlfriend

If you're Christian you're not much of one. Jesus' birthday isn't Easter it's Christmas, which is technically a Roman Holiday to the God of Light adapted to the Christian religion. Easter is when he died which coincidentally also fell on the day when the Jews were delivered from Egypt.

Also, I don't know how you do it where you come from, but here Christians practice birthdays very much like other people, with presents and such. There's nothing pagan in a birthday celebration since it's been done by every nation and every religion for a long time.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 09:59:24

To be fair, Yourix did mention that he was kinda of a strict believer.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 10:03:34

I have 50 euro's sennheisers, all ill ever need.
Cant make music without em, cant listen to music without em (tho i do have a logitech 1.2)

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 10:10:15

At 7/25/11 10:03 AM, Chronamut wrote: in addition - this is because the setup of the headphones while negating their own "head"presence" makes for the ideal setup to do binaural recordings - as binaural recording is usually done with mics set onto either side of a "dummy" head.

The more you know!

I'd be surprised if anyone here knew the nitty gritty of binaural headgear. Mostly because it's (I'm assuming) a fairly niche area of the audio world that isn't relevant to what the vast majority of NG producers are doing. Fuck if I know anything about binaural stuff. I can glean from the name that it has something to do with "two" and "ears"

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 10:18:29

At 7/25/11 10:06 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 7/25/11 10:03 AM, Calamaistr wrote: I have 50 euro's sennheisers, all ill ever need.
Cant make music without em, cant listen to music without em (tho i do have a logitech 1.2)
yeah sennheissers are pretty sweet - theyre what I use to make music - however these babies will allow me to add more dimension to my songs by immersing the listener into the experience - as opposed to merely observing it like regular stereo does.

It's more sound design at this point. I've used binaural in a few of my recent submissions- helps to really widen up the stereo field.

A tip i want to give alongside this to everyone is to make music in low volume, your ears will adjust to it (naturally) and allow a much larger range to be heard than when you compose in high volume.

When done with the track, up the volume and set the limiters etc.

I dont have the best sennheiser im sure and i sometimes wonder how much better more expensive sennheisers would really be, if only there was a 'test-fair' in my town or something.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 10:27:11

Now that its about volume and headphones, what do you guys thing about this:
http://audio.tutsplus.com/articles/gener al/are-the-volume-wars-killing-music-whi ch-side-are-you-on/

(dont just read the first paragraph :P )

I know its not 'news' or anything but id like to know some opinions on it.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 10:46:40

At 7/25/11 10:20 AM, Chronamut wrote: It's such an underexplored area and it's sad because it has VAST potential for song progression.

An interesting notion indeed. I bet the audiophile community is all over it!

I don't think I could really do much with it, I've never really been a music appreciator as such. However, if I ever need to have some wubs sneak up behind me, I know who's brains to pick.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 10:48:24

At 7/25/11 10:27 AM, Calamaistr wrote: Now that its about volume and headphones, what do you guys thing about this:
http://audio.tutsplus.com/articles/gener al/are-the-volume-wars-killing-music-whi ch-side-are-you-on/

I never use compressors on my songs, only a little bit of EQ'ing now and then and some normalization. Compressing your songs just for an increase in volume is a shame, as it can damage the quality of the song itself.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 11:06:28

At 7/25/11 10:27 AM, Calamaistr wrote: Now that its about volume and headphones, what do you guys thing about this:

There are scenarios when dynamics are more important than loudness, and scenarios when uniformity in loudness is more important than dynamics.

I think that in an album situation, where you can account for the dynamics for all of the tracks, and where the dynamics may be integral to the listening experiance, then loudness really isn't necessary and those dynamics should be preserved.

However, when you can't control what the dyanmics of the next tracks, ie on a radio, and when dyanmics are less important, ie in a club when music is being played loud and you can't percieve dynamics as clearly, then I think uniformity in loudness is pretty important, as to ensure a consistent listening experiance. And the only way to ensure uniformity in loudness is to push each track to it's limit. It's why radio stations have to put a ton of compressors on every single track they play.

Obviously there is a point at which the louder you push a track, the shitter it sounds. It's down to the mixing and mastering engineers to ensure that everything still sounds good.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 11:06:43

Chron, what model exactly did you purchase?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 11:17:26

At 7/25/11 11:15 AM, B0UNC3 wrote: I hate how yawning can fuck up your ears temporarily.......

That would explain why I suck at music.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 11:27:39

At 7/25/11 08:52 AM, Quarl wrote: hey guis leave youri alone. he's just upset because if he dates a gurl that isn't christian and he falls in love with her, there isn't a chance in hell that she won't be sent to hell on her deathbed.

My Christian fate doesnt believe in Hell. However we do believe in a Heaven.

youri... you should pray for her while i speak in tongues. SHABABABDADAAABABABAAAAAA!!!! OGOGOGOAGOAFGADGBBBquarlGBBOABOABABOABOA BA!!!!!!

LOL!

At 7/25/11 09:56 AM, Echo wrote:
At 7/25/11 06:57 AM, YouriX wrote: Christian or a non-christian Girlfriend
If you're Christian you're not much of one. Jesus' birthday isn't Easter it's Christmas,

Uuuh. Jesus wasnt born on Christmas 25th but somewhere in October. Like you said yourself its a Roman holiday celebrating a Roman God. Also im a diffrint kind of Christian that dont celebrate birthdays. But i'll leave you to decide wich one doesnt do that.

But i am not here to discuss all that. But more like vent out what was on my mind. But i have a feeling everything will be alright. :)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 11:30:02

At 7/25/11 11:19 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 7/25/11 11:17 AM, uint wrote:
At 7/25/11 11:15 AM, B0UNC3 wrote: I hate how yawning can fuck up your ears temporarily.......
That would explain why I suck at music.
yeah it always pitches the music down.. always found that weird.

Permanently so. I can't hear anything lower than a piccolo flute cause it's subsonic to me now.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 12:15:39

Audio experiments

If you're using Linux, try "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/audio"

Obviously, you can route anything else you want to /dev/audio.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 13:38:14

EPICNESS.

I once started up a 3xosc and set them all to Squares at +24 CRS Tuning, At the highest note possible, Exported it to .Wav and did it again.

increment by 1 and loop

I also have really sensitive ears now, just because of that :P

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 14:22:47

I'm a bit confused by this 'binaural headphone' concept. Headphones always have 2 audio sources, the only variable in the sensation of depth is the audio data playing. I did the wiki trawl as it appears others are drawing their source info from, and the only key piece to it is that of the mannequin head recording technique, which in effect really just deploys a stereo pair of mic with a lump in between.

I'm failing to see the complexity of this concept, or uniqueness of it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 14:28:35

At 7/25/11 02:22 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote: I'm a bit confused by this 'binaural headphone' concept. Headphones always have 2 audio sources, the only variable in the sensation of depth is the audio data playing. I did the wiki trawl as it appears others are drawing their source info from, and the only key piece to it is that of the mannequin head recording technique, which in effect really just deploys a stereo pair of mic with a lump in between.

I'm failing to see the complexity of this concept, or uniqueness of it.

Thing is when it's set up exactly like your ears would be in a human head, it records the same microscopic delay on each side (or phase differences) as if you were just by the sound source in real life yourself. These differences are what allows your brain to triangulate the position of the sound source relative to your head.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 14:29:49

A bit of a mish mash of second and third person in that post. Hopefully it's still understandable.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 15:14:54

At 7/25/11 02:29 PM, SBB wrote: it's still understandable.

Yes it is, my confusion is that of the 'binaural headphone' aspect. All head phones are binaural and there was a bit of a tech out at 'binaural headphones' that seemed really misinformed. I may have read things wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 15:21:58

At 7/25/11 03:14 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote:
At 7/25/11 02:29 PM, SBB wrote: it's still understandable.
Yes it is, my confusion is that of the 'binaural headphone' aspect. All head phones are binaural and there was a bit of a tech out at 'binaural headphones' that seemed really misinformed. I may have read things wrong.

No, you're right. Binaural headphones technically refers to plain stereo headphones.

Binaural recording refers to that fancy way of setting up a dummy head with two mics in its ears and blablabla.

But I checked that thing Chron bought and it really seems like those are headphones designed for binaural recordings. Cool stuff. "Binaural headphones" is just a bit of a bad name for it.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 15:35:29

how about headphones + binaural microphones

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 15:40:41

At 7/25/11 03:35 PM, SBB wrote: how about headphones + binaural microphones

What are these Headphones the kids are talking about these days?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 15:41:15

That's too long. We need something catchier, damnit. What am I paying you for?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 15:49:52

At 7/25/11 03:41 PM, uint wrote:

Binaural micradphones?

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 15:50:08

That's too long.

Because ROLAND RECORDING PRO CS-10EM BINAURAL MICROPHONE EARPHONES is real succinct.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-25 15:52:48

At 7/25/11 03:49 PM, FairSquare wrote:
Binaural micradphones?

How about YOU'RE FIRED.