00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Unified Audio Competitions

4,454 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-07 22:45:33

Many people have recently shown an interest in holding new audio contests competitions.

I think that this is exactly the type of thing that the Audio Forum needs but we should all consider consolidating our efforts.

With too many different people holding individual competitions, I think that we may be running the risk of spreading the resources of our community too thin. There are several people and groups that are currently either planning or having various contests and If we work together as a team we can avoid stepping on each others toes.

It's tough to run a monthly competition. Coming up with new and interesting themes is hard enough let alone finding a good team of people to act as judges and coordinators for the whole thing. Many of you have good ideas and I know that you are tempted to get them out there as quickly as possible but I think it would be better to put all of our ideas into a common pool that we can all draw from.

By doing this, we can all take turns coordinating the contests, judging and participating without the stress of having to play the same roles every month. Some of us can work on the MAC (or MrAC, ORM, or any other contest) one month and those that need a break can take one the next.

I think that this will also make all of the contests more interesting because there could be more involvement for each contest. When more than one competition is running at a time, people may not be able or willing to participate in both.

Imagine what would happen if three different camps all announced separate contests within the same week! It's possible that no one contest would draw enough participants to make it really interesting.

I would like to invite any interested parties to join with the MAC crew so that we can make every future contest better.

There are other benefits as well - when the MAC first got started the best we could do was to offer sigpics or links on the front page - things have come a long way since then and now, with Tom's help, we have been able to make better prizes like t-shirts, stickers, cash and games available to both the winners and in some cases the judges too.

By joining together with the current MAC staff, it's more possible that you can also offer similar prizes for your themes. Tom recently let the cat out of the bag on the front page with info about the upcoming "Castle Crashers" themed MAC - this may be an opportunity for some of you to have your music featured in a major game release!

Obviously, I cannot speak for Tom so I can't make any promises but I can say that for the past several MACs, Tom has been very generous with the prizes offered and I would like to think that his support will continue. If participation drops below a certain point or if our efforts are too diluted then it's possible that we may lose some of that support - then we're back to sigpics and links in our signatures as prizes for the winners.

I think it's great when we can get a group of participants together to compete but I think that competition between several contests being run concurrently by different groups of people just isn't the best way to do it.

I'm encouraging all of you to take part and help to coordinate all of the audio contests better - that way the right hand knows what the left one is doing. I believe that this will make our little community a better and more interesting place for everyone involved.

MAC, MrAC, ORC, PAC, etc. - let's all work together and form a series of Unified Audio Competitions !

BBS Signature

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-07 23:01:25

I know this is some how related to me.

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-07 23:05:26

Ok after reading the whole thing and getting the pm I think its a great idea and I'll start working on the ORC soon.

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-07 23:12:58

PAC... ehehehehe.

LJ, you know you've got me behind you 100%. In an entirely platonic way.

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-08 15:01:43

JoeyNukes and SolusLunes - thank you both. JoeyNukes, I know you're getting a few things ready and that's great - just keep the communication going so that we can more effectively schedule upcoming contests.

SolusLunes - I'm very relieved to hear that it's all platonic :)

How about the rest of you?

I'd really like to hear something from DaGrahamCraka, Cornandbeans or SadSpoon. You guys are currently running the Ibiza Trance/Baelaeric House contest.

How about XBrav or HouseMasta? - Your MrAC comps would make a nice way to break things up a bit from time to time.

This is a chance for all of us to do something more with the audio contests.
(aside from complaining about them)

I'd really like to get you all involved with the MAC's - at the very least, it would be great if you guys could all help come up with a few extra ideas to try to keep the MACs fresh.

If you are involved in any way with any type of audio contest here, then it really would be in our collective best interest to work together.

If you don't want to work together then that's alright too - I'm not trying to force anyone into joining together as a team. I just think it would be so much easier and better for everyone to all get on the same sheet of music so to speak.

BBS Signature

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-08 15:22:37

This have been mentioned, but I want to stress on the importance of this;

This is a structured and important way to organize the AF better. If we can organize it better, we can show of Tom and the other admins what the AF is all about in a more positive way. That way we can get more exposure for the AF/AP in newsletters, happenings etc.

ALSO, and this may be even more important, we all will be more structured and inspired to make good audio for good contests, help people in the forum and get the commiunity to grow! I really think we've got a very positive attitude in the forum, and that's because more or less everyone have learned alot of making music, and are passing that knowledge on to the newbies! You all see the red string in all this? :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-08 15:44:06

LJC you've made a very good point, it's strange form the point where there was hardly ever a competition there's now a glut of em, like some sort of crazy bug going round.

I think this thread is a really good idea, to brainstorm ideas and filter out the best ones for the purpose of the MAC and its other incarnations, it can only be a good thing. I whole heartedly support this notion and so if i ever think of anything that could constitute a comp i'll post it here.

MY ALBUMS ON SPOTIFY

Yes peeps, I have albums out, go listen.

BBS Signature

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-08 16:33:59

Attempting Genres never Made. Or making a different genre than what you usually submit.

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-08 16:43:11

If you ever need any help, just give me a call... or a PM... I'll show up around here a bit too. Maybe I'll make my own contest if I have enough spare time. Spring break is coming up soon, I'll see if I can do some of the planning then.

Either way LJ, (Hehe Rhymes) I'm 100% with you on this idea.

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-08 19:23:23

Does my proposed ReBirth time trial count?

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-08 20:52:32

I am completely out to help any contest in any way I can. I fully agree with all written here, well said LJ.

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-09 01:37:25

I couldn't agree more!

In the past few weeks there have been numerous competitions, some from outside of NG coming here to advertise for their competitions.

But LJ you realise, that by combining the efforts of many, it could be a bit harder to organise, and at guess I would imagine someone would have to take a lead roll in organising all of them.

Are you up to the challenge? and willing volunteering your services?

Audio Artists required for Charity Album: Read further information here The charity is Jambange

BBS Signature

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-09 11:03:42

At 3/9/07 01:37 AM, Stealth-Emergence wrote: Are you up to the challenge? and willing volunteering your services?

Usually :)

I've been working with Rucklo on ... maybe all of the MAC's - I may have missed one but yes, By posting the above, I was volunteering.

As to the question of if I'm up for it - only time will tell. I've been known to drop a ball or two here and there but that's because I try to juggle so many things at once sometimes...

Glib, good suggestion - doing an "Outside of your genre" contest would make a nice challenge as well as an opportunity to learn something new.

Jarrydn, the ReBirth time trial is also a good idea - that type of thing would make for a shorter contest - maybe not an entire month but it would be cool to run 3 or 4 of those inside of the same month - just not all at the same time :)

Thanks to everyone who has given support so far - We'll all have to figure our a good way to keep everything organized... Perhaps an event calendar hosted somewhere else would be a good idea. Somewhere that any of us and all of us can log into and add ideas or find an open spot on the calendar for a special project. Not a message board or anything - just a place to keep track of ideas and events. Maybe something like PHProjekt could work... I don't know yet.

This might help to keep too many things from happening all at once followed by a period where nothing at all happens.

I'll look into that over the weekend - I have a ton of space and several URL's that can be used for that type of thing. If any of you already know of a good app for that then let me know and I'll set it up.

BBS Signature

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-14 17:50:10

Yea, for the MRAC, we're going to use some real samples from FDA, so stay tuned for that.

Ill gladly lend my services any way i can

»» HouseMasta «« PM

HOUSEMASTER: "OHH FUK!!! TEH COMMUNITY CHEZZT FORCLOZD ON MA BEEEEEEF JEERRRKKEEE!!! j0 GOZ 2 JAYL!!!"

BBS Signature

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-14 19:34:42

Hmmm... just to let everyone know;

There's a MAC coming up any day now that will run what's left of March, and all of April.

Also, Tom already announced the Castle-Crasher audio contest, that's practically just waiting for a good oppurtunity to be launched.

When that one will be out, I'm not sure of, but I guess it's not impossible it will acutally launch in April, or if shit gets too much, May.

Nothing is stopping anyone from doing contests, just giving a heads up, since the MAC's have had support from Tom and NG the last few times, wich might make it difficult to "compete" with (if you're planning on making a contest).

Feel free to PM me or LJCoffee if there's anything. Boink!

Wakka wakka

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-14 23:39:01

If you need any assistance on my part, I'd be glad to help.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-15 06:53:06

For the upcoming MAC's, judges and backup judges are always needed. But wait wwith voulenteering until the contest(s) are up. :)

Wakka wakka

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-20 21:07:32

Wakka wakka

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-26 17:44:11

Idea for Mac something some month -
Madness combat 7 or 8's fight song. Either a short loop or a whole song.
I guess we'll have to ask Krinkels for what the theme is to make it for that. Like the MadnessTrainMix, you know.

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-26 18:00:48

I'm gonna go out on a limb and speak for myself and Captain_Bob... but radiogrounds is all about helping out the AF/AP community, so if you guys have any thoughts on some contest management software and a place to run it all, I can probably hook all that up.

On a related note... I'd be totally interested in doing a long-term contest for the more serious musicians of the AP... something american idol style where the contestants would get a new song played every week and the listeners would vote on their favorites, ans we could have the guy with the least votes taken out of the contest.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-26 18:09:52

At 3/26/07 06:00 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Radiogrounds is all about helping out the AF/AP community
I'd be totally interested in doing a long-term contest for the more serious musicians of the AP... something american idol style

Good deal - I'd also be very willing to help in any way that I can. I'll see if I can maintain focus long enough to jot down a few notes later on - perhaps run them by Rucklo and then PM you a few Ideas. In addition to the shorter monthly comps, a long term competition would be a great idea.

BTW - even though the last MAC results show had some ... *ahem technical difficulties, I had a good time being a part of it and would love to take part in future shows as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-26 19:03:53

me likey. Should be instigated asap, with minimal work:D

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-26 19:57:52

Amazing idea, I'll help in anyway I can. It's nice somebody is taking the time to do this.

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-27 07:04:46

At 3/26/07 06:00 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Definitley! That could prove to be something really interesting indeed! I've a few ideas for future MAC's that perhaps could be implemented somehow... I'll PM you about them. Well, it's more one idea so far, but yeah ^^

Wakka wakka

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-27 07:23:37

At 3/26/07 05:44 PM, DragonsGrief wrote: Idea for Mac something some month -
Madness combat 7 or 8's fight song. Either a short loop or a whole song.
I guess we'll have to ask Krinkels for what the theme is to make it for that. Like the MadnessTrainMix, you know.

It's definitley a cool idea, I think you've popped it before even...

Yeah Kirinkels would have to be contacted to begin with, and then shape it so he could use if for a flash or whatever.

I imagine a Madness themed contest could work similiar to the TANKMEN contest last year.

Wakka wakka

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-27 17:47:14

I have an idea.

Song from a lost civilization.

Imgaine exploring through the jungles of South America or Africa just for the heck of it. Now imagine you sumble upon a civilization that no one has discovered before, you are exicted you feel like the spanish explorer who just discovered the Aztecs. You find a local bard and ask him to play something. What he plays is what you are supposed to submit. It can a war song, a song of a festival or whatever. And it doesn't have to be a tribal theme. It can be music from a city that no one has discovered before, a barabarian village, an arctic community whatever. It jsut needs to sound like something from a civilization no one has ever seen. This might mean using rythyms or sounds you wouldn't expect from modern times (although not necessarily tribal instruments). The ones that are the most convincing in sounding like an old civilisation win.

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-27 17:50:12

At 3/27/07 05:47 PM, FatherTime89 wrote: Song from a lost civilization.
an arctic community

Jizzpantsxxxxxxx

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-27 19:46:26

At 3/26/07 06:00 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: radiogrounds is all about helping out the AF/AP community

Indeed. If any ongoing contest wishes to have a Radiogrounds results show ect, please contact me.

UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-27 20:09:14

Still no requests I see. :'o

Response to Unified Audio Competitions 2007-03-28 07:21:20

At 3/27/07 05:47 PM, FatherTime89 wrote: I have an idea.

Song from a lost civilization.

This could be a two-part contest, #1 would be a flash of all of the above. When the bard starts to play, that's when the contestants can use their creativity to make the song, and it will all end up in a complete flash with say 5 (top five audios in the contest) different endings :D

Wakka wakka