00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryzmik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Club for the Godless!

2,804 Views | 52 Replies

Club for the Godless! 2003-02-13 07:53:43

I want to see if anyone is interested in joining a political forum club for atheists who are dedicated to arguing logic above religion. I will call it “The League of the Militant Godless”

Keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to bash people for their beliefs. Preferably a member will respect the persons convictions yet never waver from their stance on superstition.

Then again I can’t tell a member how to act. ;)

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-13 19:32:59

Are there that few atheists here or do clubs just not work in this forum?

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-13 20:10:07

I'm agnostic. People are entitled to their beliefs, and as long as they don't subjegate their beliefs on to others I couldn't care.

I'll have nothing to do with religion, nor will I try to convince others to have nothing to do with religion.

In short I do not believe in organized relgion, I doubt the existance of God, but I do not care to join your club.

Good luck though.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-13 20:20:59

Too bad, it wolda been good to have ya MJClock...... :(

By the way this is not a club for actively dismantling a persons beliefs. It is a club for people who share a love for logic over mysticism.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-13 21:05:34

I considered joining, and I thank you for the offer, but though I consider myself Anglican, I really sort of dance a fine line.
I can side with almost anything, just for a good debate. Anything but ignorance.
I don't have strong beliefs for God, but is he's up there, I better hedge my bets by not pissing him off, eh?

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-13 21:53:15

I know how you feel Ted. This club is based more on logic though. So in truth you can still not be completely sure in what you believe as far as god goes and still join. As a member however you are expected to never revert to the whole “because God said so” or “simply because I believe” arguments. In other words always have a basis in reality for your argument.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-13 21:59:32

I would gladly tkae logic over religion, tell me when and where and I'll be there

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-13 22:07:29

At 2/13/03 09:59 PM, Murph_Dogg wrote: I would gladly tkae logic over religion, tell me when and where and I'll be there

Looks like we have a #2! I will be working on a site soon in between classes....and after a few more people join..... unless I can just find someone to do it for me. For now just work on a tag to put in your BBS sig. I’m working on one myself. I’m going to figure out the best way to coordinate member communication any ideas? AIM or should we stick to e-mail and posts or what?

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-15 00:33:49

Just keeping this thing alive for a day or two more. I know that there are people here that may be interested in joining.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-15 01:35:20

I am Daeist. I believe that there ia a god (I'm not certain but I don't want to accept the fact that I will one day cease to be)and that he set things in motion but didn't fuck with the system after he started it. While I believe there is a god I also believe that it is arrogant for man to attempt to claim that he knows gods methods or his motives. I do however hate people who drag religous beliefs into logical arguments. Since I'm not Aethist I won't join your club but still give em hell.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-15 01:35:39

I am so completely in on this. Sign me up.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-15 01:39:36

You might want to reconsider limiting your club to aethists as you will get far less people interested in it. There are a great number of people out there who loathe religouse nuts but who aren't aethists.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-15 01:55:48

At 2/15/03 01:39 AM, implodinggoat wrote: You might want to reconsider limiting your club to aethists as you will get far less people interested in it. There are a great number of people out there who loathe religouse nuts but who aren't aethists.

You are correct, I realized that I should not limit to total atheists when I thought about it a little more. A person can still join it they are dedicated to logical thought. After all, I would still respect Steven Hawking even if I found out that he went to church every Sunday.

By the way, thedirtiestjamocan, you are number 3. Welcome to the League.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-15 23:51:13

I'm joining this club because I hear you guys have free donuts.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-16 03:04:35

At 2/13/03 07:53 AM, Spike_J_Wolfwood wrote: I want to see if anyone is interested in joining a political forum club for atheists who are dedicated to arguing logic above religion. I will call it “The League of the Militant Godless”

Keep in mind that this is not an opportunity to bash people for their beliefs. Preferably a member will respect the persons convictions yet never waver from their stance on superstition.

Then again I can’t tell a member how to act. ;)

Why create a forum for discussion that seems to be for atheists only?

In my experience, atheism seems to be a large movement of mutual back-patting of others for being more intellectual and logical than God-fearing Christians.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-16 03:59:23

At 2/15/03 11:51 PM, Shrapnel wrote: I'm joining this club because I hear you guys have free donuts.

Damn, there were free donuts?

Maybe I should join after all.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-16 05:39:07

No free donuts....... sorry, wish there were though........... *stomach growl*
But any of you who want to join (Shrapnel, and MJClock I would be honored) still can as long as you tell me straight so I know to add you to the list. By the way KaneOfNod, I stated earlier that you not be a total atheist to join, just that you will try to use logic to argue your points rather than reverting to biblical reference in it’s place.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-16 19:37:21

I consider myself a logical person and I like debating religion and spiritualism so count me in.

I reccomend using a forum on your site for member communication.

Oh and if you need help with a website drop me a line, it's what I do anyway :)

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-16 22:10:13

Welcome to the League Reaper-n, you are the 4th member. I can tell by your profile message that you will make a good member.

That is a great idea for member communication i.e. the in site forum. I think it actually might be a good idea if you do help with the site. I personally am an html novice at the best plus I just started figuring out how to use this golive program I just got. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-16 22:46:55

Yeah, I'm a total athiest. All religions are basically cults. WOOHOO I'M #3

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-16 22:48:08

*atheist

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-17 01:32:33

At 2/16/03 10:10 PM, Spike_J_Wolfwood wrote: Welcome to the League Reaper-n, you are the 4th member. I can tell by your profile message that you will make a good member.

I read his away message too and I have just one comment......only 3?

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-17 06:50:26

At 2/17/03 01:32 AM, implodinggoat wrote:
At 2/16/03 10:10 PM, Spike_J_Wolfwood wrote: Welcome to the League Reaper-n, you are the 4th member. I can tell by your profile message that you will make a good member.

As you may have noticed the political forum is not the most active place on NG. I have not been advertizing nor have I been spaming other forums to gain notoriety. I look more for quality of those who would be interested in joining rather than boast an inflated number. Of course if numbers mater to you then I suppose you missed the point of this group.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-17 17:12:45

At 2/17/03 01:14 AM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: Spike, I'd be glad to join. You can never have too many atheists fighting the point against the people who think the invisble man in the sky is controlling every aspect of their lives.

Sorry about the slow turn around in signing you up, I was a little drunk last night and didn’t even notice that you wanted to join. As a result I just defended myself against implodinggoat and went to sleep.

Welcome to the League JudgeMeHarshX.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-17 17:15:55

Oops, I almost forgot, JudgeMeHarshX you are #5

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-17 17:52:10

At 2/17/03 05:27 PM, JudgeMeHarshX wrote: Grand. Now where can I get one of them nifty badges of membership?

Feel free to copy mine. Just save the pic and change the member # in paint or photoshop.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-17 18:09:45

i'll make mine soon enough

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-17 18:13:38

At 2/17/03 06:09 PM, thedirtiestjamocan wrote: i'll make mine soon enough

No rush my friend. At least you have it in your text sig.

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-17 21:47:45

I would very much like to join up. It seems that to investigate on fact and subsbsequent (i.e logic) seems a better proposition than viewing the world through dated and superstitious eyes, often relying on unproven texts thousands of years old (i.e religion). I was schooled through an Anglican school and that merely reinofrced my belief that this particular religion (and any other I can see) are simply ungrounded groupings of confused or follower-type people.

No offence is intended to any memebers of religions, you have your beliefs and the above is mine.

The Revolution!!!! Search with blackle

BBS Signature

Response to Club for the Godless! 2003-02-17 21:54:31

At 2/17/03 01:32 AM, implodinggoat wrote:

Yeah that message is a bit old. That was my last estimate. Maybe I should increase it to about 6-10 :)