Reviews for "Rookie Bowman"

great game!

This is a nice game, very well made and pretty. The game is fun enough for me to have spent quite a while playing it, and it's a bit addictive. The music is very nice, I found myself nodding my head to it more then once, but maybe you could add other tracks to it as well, as far as I went there were only two tracks, which got a bit repetitive after a while.

There are somethings which I think need improvement. Firstly, the characters movement feels way too heavy, he seems to drag himself along as if he was carrying a heavy haul. Second, there are too many checkpoints, I didn't really feel like I needed to worry too much about losing because I would simply be brought back not too far from where I lost, even the begining of each room is a checkpoint. And lastly, but maybe most importantly, the challenge is a bit inconsistent, there were parts which were quite hard and others that were way too easy, such as the boss fight, I honestly expected it to be harder.

The sheer amount of checpoints matched with the easy challenge in some parts made the game a bit too casual, more then it needed to be.

And something else to point out, as a side note, I haven't played it all, but the story up until where I've seen seems a bit shallow, I know it's not the main focus of the game, but I think it could be improved.

Overall I enjoyed the game, it was fun and the art style is very nice, but I think it could be harder in some parts.

mapacarta responds:

Thanks. Good points, I will see what I can do to improve them in the next update. But making complex changes in the level designs are quite difficult at this point.

About the boss fights, actually they were harder before. But some people(on some other sites) complained about the difficulty of the boss fights, so I made them easier. Maybe I should find a balance between them.

Awesome!!!

Thanks

i think you need to fix timing of the disappearing platforms, maybe give them a few more seconds before they disappear. i kinda lost determination to carry on after failing it a few times in the 2nd section, but other than that, it's a good game so far.

mapacarta responds:

Thanks. Yes, the disappearing platforms can be a little frusturating. I will try to add a little fading effect to them in the next update.

This was fun! The combination of abilities with all the different kinds of challenges gives it an original taste.

The only thing is that it's a bit of a nuisance that we have to wait for the running prop to be available after re-spawning, specially places where you can't manage without.
Also the game crashed when I tried to push the 1st crate down to the next room (which, I did just to see. :p)

mapacarta responds:

Thanks. I updated the game. Now the powers(abilities) reset on death.

I never thought about pushing the box to down room :) I fixed it.