I didn't get very far. The game told me to persevere, and that's when I realized you actually knew how bad the levels were. So, I stopped giving you the benefit of the doubt and decided you were just being lazy about it.
The art was also pretty horrible. By retro, you must have been referring to Pong. In seems like calling something retro is just an excuse to use boxes for art these days. Now, there are some retro-styled games that look very nice, like cave story, but this one didn't at all. It wasn't retro, it was just bad.
I would give you more points for the mechanics of the game, but you used Flixel, so there isn't much you actually had to do. I'm guessing you probably made this game in a day and decided to throw it up on Newgrounds. There's nothing wrong with that if the game is any good, but this just seems like a bad practice piece, and that's not really worth playing.
Sono italiano e perciò prendete google traduttore e traducete.
Il gioco no mi è piaciuto la meccanica e scadente e se volete giocare a un gioco retrò giocate a super mario bros crossover
im givin 3 cause of 1 reason each point taken off
1 platforms to small
2.movements are oversensative
3.no check points
4.20 coins a life will only save ya a little while longer
5.takes a lot of work to get through so little of the game
6.its to boring not any music or purpose
7.no matter how far you go your not gonna want to play again after having to restart through all the work youve done.
Not what I expected.
I don't usually comment or rate on this site, but this I had to commen upon.
I thought this was going to be one of those art games, where there is some kind of hidden message being told, I am not sure what the correct word for it would be. Instead, I got this:
The most simplest platform game I have ever played, movement keys + jump, collect coins.
Now, first let's get to the game mechanism. Goal is to gain score by gathering coins, which give you extra lives after collecting, what I think is, 20 coins.
Problem is, that's way too high amount considering the amount of coins + the danger involved to get most of them.
At least half of the coins are in places where there is a hazard just waiting for you to actually try and get the coin. When I saw the spikes with coins between then, I instantly though "Oh no no no, I am NOT going there" for I would be more than likely to lose a live or two while gathering them.
See, the game is simply too hard for all the wrong reasons.
- In the level where there were red blocks circling the long rooms where, if you fell, you wouldn't get out, I lost 2 lives in 3 seconds. I fell down and killed myself, only to find myself dying AGAIN because I was so close to pit after respawn and still holding right arrow button. So I fell back down to the pit. There needs to be some pause between dying to prevent this.
- Also, controls are bad. When you stop moving, your character keeps sliding a bit. It becomes a problem because of high accuracy you need to have in order to land on little platforms.
- No checkpoints? Pretty much nonody is going to replay this again after dying and having to start all over again. I know I wouldn't have if I wouldn't have completed the game with first try.
- Why so simple? (No Joker-pun intended)
- And most importantly, where was the message? By your own words: "For example, in the case of a computer game the playing and improving can be more fun than the satisfaction of having finished the game. Hence 'the journey is the destination'."
The game completely lacked what you were trying to do. After having so hard time collecting coins and keeping falling down having to backpedal areas to be able to get to higher ground plus the time it took to complete even one area with hazards, I was GLAD the game was finally over. Ironically, I think it should be the other way around.
Rating: 1/5, 3/10
How did this game get featured?
Retro style? All i see is a dull green backround and black lines that look like you just smeared the line tool all over in flash.
Gameplay is painful, especially with the arrow keys, one single mistake and you have to climb all over again, and again and again.
Music is nothing special.
And like mentioned before, graphics are just lazy.
The only retro stuff is see are the tiny coins and the gameplay sounds.