00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Steve Jackson - Mindphase

1,234 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-12 12:12:33

Work in progress concept art from my new horror action thriller - Mindphase

Steve is the hero of the movie who is on a personal quest of revenge.

Heya

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-12 12:13:48

Another rough sketch of Steve

Heya

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-12 12:14:49

And the last one.

Heya

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-12 12:16:58

second one looks best, at least for me.

the hands could do with a bit more definition, but i'm digging the longer body type.

the first picture, the head just looks squished. it needs more to the back of it, no matter how oval-shaped the face is... the back of the head needs some bulk to it.

anyone care to explain better?

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-12 12:19:31

At 7/12/08 12:16 PM, kernalphage wrote: second one looks best, at least for me.

the hands could do with a bit more definition, but i'm digging the longer body type.

the first picture, the head just looks squished. it needs more to the back of it, no matter how oval-shaped the face is... the back of the head needs some bulk to it.

hehe well that squished thing is just my style ;) Yea my mates told me too that pic 2 looks best, but thanks for feedback!

Heya

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-12 13:31:48

Chris Angel - Mindfreak

Somebody feel bad for me and make me a sig.

If not fuck you.

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-12 14:14:33

I like the 2ed one best.
And I think he can use a nose...

Only Apples Have The Right To be Red

MY DEVIANTART GALLERY

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-12 15:32:51

At 7/12/08 12:16 PM, kernalphage wrote: the first picture, the head just looks squished. it needs more to the back of it, no matter how oval-shaped the face is... the back of the head needs some bulk to it.

He's right, the skull has a bit of substance to it, where the brain goes. As you have it, there's no place for the brain to go in his head.

In 'your style,' an accurate skull might look something like the picture below.

I really like your drawing style, especially all the cross-hatching that gives it a really gritty feel, but your anatomy could use some work. Even if your style calls for exaggerated or incorrect anatomy, you should make a point of learning it.

BBS Signature

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-12 15:34:41

your heads are extremely malproportioned, the head isn't round and the eyes are way to far apart. I like the work though.

BBS Signature

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-13 06:04:27

Thanks alot for all your input, guys. And for the picture too.

About the "malproportioned" -thing... I don't know if you mean how realistic it is compared to reality, but my plan and intention was to make it as unique as possible in drawing style, proportions and looks rather than copy every aspect of real lifes body structure... thats was why I made longer neck too, and excluded the nose, and wanted to hear your openion on that kind of style rather than "reminding" me that something is missing :D

Heya

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-13 06:15:55

"I really like your drawing style, especially all the cross-hatching that gives it a really gritty feel," <--- this I only use for concept drawings... actual vector images of character body parts will be simplified dramaticly

"... but your anatomy could use some work. Even if your style calls for exaggerated or incorrect anatomy, you should make a point of learning it." <-- I don't quite follow that one, please explain further or make some specific examples.

Well my main point was (as you already mentioned yourself) to stay away from realistic body figures, and exaggerate certain sizes of bodyparts, simplyfy the rest by for example excluding ears and nose. Like for instance Manga has a little mouth when closed and very tiny nose, but when strong emotions are present you start to see a big change. I never liked noses so I have no use for them - they don't tell any emotions, they are simply useless unless you want to point out that "THIS IS A REALISTIC HUMAN FIGURE AND HERE IS HIS NOSE BECAUSE ANATOMY SAYS SO" ...in cartoon world everything is possible.

Here look at this picture from Akumi - I use it as inspiration:

Heya

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-13 06:25:11

(Sorry for "spamming" this thread with replies, but if NG had an Edit function or possibility to upload more than one picture in same reply, I wouldn't have.)

...So here are more older images from my style. I would LOVE to hear more of the constructive replies to guide me :)

Heya

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-13 06:27:23

Another

Heya

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-13 06:34:29

http://toonhaze.com/proj/test9.html <-- short animation of Steve too (around 2 year old but stille kinda nice actually - maybe I should get back to that style and tweak it a bit)

And another pic

Heya

Response to Steve Jackson - Mindphase 2008-07-14 16:46:17

more comments, please :)

Heya