00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

1015884y just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

C++ 2003-10-19 22:00:15

What is C++? Can anyone tell me?

Response to C++ 2003-10-19 22:31:08

its a programming language...

Response to C++ 2003-10-19 22:38:28

I know that but what does it do, like what is it for

Response to C++ 2003-10-19 22:43:42

programming programs.....c++ is prob the most useful language as it can do basically anything.....except cook ur dinner

Response to C++ 2003-10-20 11:17:08

At 10/19/03 10:38 PM, Yoshimitsu31 wrote: I know that but what does it do, like what is it for

It's a powerful higher-generation programming language... it's actual very simular to action script or perl, and just like those languages, C++ is capable of making almost any type of software application. You should really take some time and check it out!!

Response to C++ 2003-10-20 11:28:16

C++ isn't much similar to PERL...only the basis that they're both OOPLs to extent, but little else.

Response to C++ 2003-10-20 11:45:28

At 10/20/03 11:28 AM, Sekky wrote: C++ isn't much similar to PERL...only the basis that they're both OOPLs to extent, but little else.

"Perl borrows heavily from other languages you may already be familiar with (such as C, and awk, and Basic, and Python, and English, and Greek)." - Preface, Programming Perl (Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen & Jon Orwant).

C++ is a separate language to C, but it also borrows heavily from it.

Response to C++ 2003-10-20 12:11:05

Wow, looks like I've started quite the debate!! I just meant that C++ is a powerful language, with many capabilities like that of actionscript or perl.

HOWEVER, I should have mentioned that although they may be similar in that respect, syntactically they are not all that alike.

Moreover, many programming languages are alike in that they have data structures, share many of the same concepts and techniques such as arrays, structures, pointers and functions. The syntax as well as specific points of functionality is what differs.

For example comparing Flash 5 to Flash MX. They are both very much alike, both MX has some new functionality that doesn't work the same way in Flash 5.

Anyway, just thought I would clarify!

Response to C++ 2003-10-20 16:12:43

Im learning C++, right now i'm making a text based C++ RPG, and i wanted to know if it was possible to put C++ online use, like php or c++?

Response to C++ 2003-10-21 08:43:53

anything is possible with c++....just how do u think they make mmorpg's , though im not really sure lol, but i know it is possible with c++, u may need a few other libraries though

Response to C++ 2003-10-21 09:25:23

At 10/20/03 04:12 PM, Sub7Ecstacy wrote: Im learning C++, right now i'm making a text based C++ RPG, and i wanted to know if it was possible to put C++ online use, like php or c++?

Hmm...I've never heard of it being used that way, even though I'm sure it could be.
Well, networking with c++ is fairly easy, so I'm sure website interaction wouldn't be too far away.

What may man within him hide, though angel on the outward side.

BBS Signature

Response to C++ 2003-10-21 16:43:11

anything is possible with c++....just how do u think they make mmorpg's , though im not really sure lol, but i know it is possible with c++, u may need a few other libraries though

im pretty sure its php programming for the mmorpgs

Response to C++ 2003-10-21 22:26:47

At 10/21/03 04:43 PM, Sub7Ecstacy wrote: anything is possible with c++....just how do u think they make mmorpg's , though im not really sure lol, but i know it is possible with c++, u may need a few other libraries though

im pretty sure its php programming for the mmorpgs

Well, a MMORPG isn't really html based at all. It's just two computers talking to each other, which is really easy to do. You may want to look at some MUD theory.
Multiplayer Game Programming by Barron is a decent book for beginners into multiplayer game theory.

BBS Signature

Response to C++ 2003-10-22 03:00:34

I wish I was ever around at the time to play MUDs

Response to C++ 2003-10-22 10:22:21

At 10/22/03 03:00 AM, Sekky wrote: I wish I was ever around at the time to play MUDs

www.retromud.com!

There are a bunch still around. But with all this new fangled graphics and FPS they arn't advertized much.

Even though MUDS take a bit to get used to, mainly because of all the commands and rules. It would help if you have RPG experiance.

BBS Signature

Response to C++ 2003-10-22 11:20:33

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out

Response to C++ 2003-10-22 12:15:04

At 10/22/03 11:20 AM, Sekky wrote: Thanks for the link, I'll check it out

Woops! Sorry. It's www.retromud.org

The .com will take you to a bunch of popups... Sorry about that.

BBS Signature

Response to C++ 2003-10-23 11:49:46

At 10/20/03 04:12 PM, Sub7Ecstacy wrote: Im learning C++, right now i'm making a text based C++ RPG, and i wanted to know if it was possible to put C++ online use, like php or c++?

You can use C++ to make CGI programs (compiled executables, not scripts like Perl), but server-side scripting with PHP or ASP would be a much easier way to go. CGI is kinda old-school in terms of dynamic web stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to C++ 2003-10-25 03:35:14

I'm also learning c++ anybody planning on learning it should get use to reading ALOT... My book is 1k+ pages. Gah i think i'm only up to 120...
an example of c++ is

example/

#include <iostream>
int main()
{
using namespace std;

int a,b;

cout << " enter 2 numbers ";
cout << "\nfirst";
cin >> a;
cout << "\nsecond";
cin >> b;
if(a > b )
cout << "first is bigger";
else cout << "second is bigger";
cin.sync();
cin.clear();
cin.ignore();
return 0 ;
}

Response to C++ 2003-10-25 12:51:38

At 10/25/03 12:28 PM, 5and3r wrote: C++?

Maybe you should have read the topic before posting that.....
IT'S A FREAKING PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE.

BBS Signature

Response to C++ 2003-10-26 00:43:39

BOOO! C++ SUCKS! I have to learn it in college now and I hate it. It may run better but it takes so much more effort. I like VB better. If you don't know C++ then I suggest trying VB first because it is much easier to pick up on and its visual. Makes it less complicated to understand.

Response to C++ 2003-10-26 06:37:11

At 10/22/03 12:15 PM, Lord_Aba wrote: The .com will take you to a bunch of popups... Sorry about that.

It's ok, I'll go check it out now.

Response to C++ 2003-10-26 12:32:08

heh, VB is too easy, i mean yes, i do have an occassional problem every now and then, but nothing like i would be having trying to figure out win32 api (grrrr)

so if ya wanna be a programmer (when u grow up?) then just start with c++, many game companies use it, many many, and it gives u a lot more flexibility then vb

Response to C++ 2003-10-26 14:14:35

At 10/26/03 12:32 PM, Iamthom wrote: heh, VB is too easy, i mean yes, i do have an occassional problem every now and then, but nothing like i would be having trying to figure out win32 api (grrrr)

so if ya wanna be a programmer (when u grow up?) then just start with c++, many game companies use it, many many, and it gives u a lot more flexibility then vb

LOLOLOLLOLOLOL. Compairing vb and C++ is like compairing apples and oranges, in a way.
While VB is much faster to program for, VC++ .NET is almost as easy. VB works great for quick buisness apps, but C++ had the power to do time critical things. As for video games...A lot of engines have been made in VB, then exported over.
But the basics of both are very easy.

BBS Signature

Response to C++ 2003-10-26 22:54:25

At 10/26/03 08:29 PM, Rhyno_the_Wino wrote: Umm. I actually recommend you learn C first, then move on to C++. The best C++ coders out there all learned C first, and used it. Untill you do this, you will never really understand what should be a class, and what should not be a class. So many C++ coders, the ones that skipped C especially, make classes for everything. If you don't know C inside and out, you won't know what doesn't need to be a class, and worse, you wouldn't really know how to handle it without it being a class.

While you have a point I don't believe what language you learn will have an impact on the theory side of the fence. Some good OO specific classes, expecially OO analysis and design, will have a bigger impact.
I started with C++ and all the OO classes I've taken in college really helps concrete what you are doing more then working with the language, in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to C++ 2003-10-28 00:51:13

Umm. I actually recommend you learn C first, then move on to C++. from rhino... i forgot his name

ummm no that's just plain stupid. If you learn c then try to learn c++ your just wasting alot of your time since you have to forget alot of c .
Simple example would be the hello program everybody starts out with

in c

#include<stdio.h>
main()
{
printf(" Hello world");
}

in c++

#include <iostream>
main()
{
using namespace std;
cout << "hello world";
}

Using namespace is just somthing i do i hate using std::cout <<
But C++ is what mostly everybody uses learning c would just slow you down. If you disagree you can just die.

Response to C++ 2003-10-28 19:32:31

no, i agree with everyone else, though i had first started with c, after when i moved on to c++, most of it was the same, but things like cout was very confusing because i frgot which one goes with which so then i would have a mix of c and c++ which isnt very good, so i recommend just start with a clean slate, plus whats the point of learning two languages when you will just narrow it down to one? Quicker, less confusinger (heh), just go with c++

Response to C++ 2003-11-02 08:37:18

C++ is very easy to understand, just grab a book (I recommend "C++ An Itroduction to Computing" for beginners like myself) and start reading.

How about we trade C++ codes in this topic? (unless a topic like that has already been created)

What C++ compilers do you people use? I use CodeWarrior v1 for Windows, what are you favorites/recommendations?

Response to C++ 2003-11-03 09:41:14

At 11/2/03 08:37 AM, un-mediocre wrote: What C++ compilers do you people use? I use CodeWarrior v1 for Windows, what are you favorites/recommendations?

Good book = The C++ Bible.
My compilers = Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio .NET, and Quincy. w00t.

BBS Signature

Response to C++ 2003-11-03 19:58:42

Now I know what C++ is and I sorta understand how to program it but can the prgoramming for C++ or other applications be done useing edit [(Start,run,cmd.exe)edit]? If you have an answer for this or you can tell me hwo to program just answer this please.

C++