00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hazards in a Recording Studio?

5,569 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hazards in a Recording Studio? 2008-06-11 16:39:52

Basically, I have this coursework. Well, it's not so much coursework as it is a little exercise my bumface of a teacher gave me to do.
In short, it's health and safety, that boring stuff that can kill you. I can only think of 3 hazards that would be in a typical recording studio (and I'm pretty sure my first one doesn't count).

What I'm meant to be doing is listing the hazards, then describing methods I can implement to reduce the risks.

And yeah this is 50% me being lazy with my work and 50% of where I'm actually interested because my "home studio" is an utter mess.
So yeah, what can you come up with, or what have you encountered in your life of sound?

Response to Hazards in a Recording Studio? 2008-06-11 16:51:41

The only hazard I can think of is all the equipment exploding because you overworked it all making a crazy loud noise that some guy wanted you to make for his calm video on youtube that then features the loud noise you made while it shows an ugly girls face with boils and zits, having 4 million views and all of them 0 on youtube.

Response to Hazards in a Recording Studio? 2008-06-11 16:55:40

Cocaine overdose, Electrocution, Dismembered from low frequency vibrations.

Response to Hazards in a Recording Studio? 2008-06-11 17:02:56

At 6/11/08 04:55 PM, dirtydigital wrote: Cocaine overdose, Electrocution, Dismembered from low frequency vibrations.

lol

Response to Hazards in a Recording Studio? 2008-06-11 17:09:02

The soundengineer is most likley the biggest hazard. try to klick on everything on the mixer (at the same time) and you'll see...

Wakka wakka

Response to Hazards in a Recording Studio? 2008-06-11 17:14:08

At 6/11/08 04:55 PM, dirtydigital wrote: Cocaine overdose, Electrocution, Dismembered from low frequency vibrations.

Fucking lol

At 6/11/08 05:09 PM, Rucklo wrote: The soundengineer is most likley the biggest hazard. try to klick on everything on the mixer (at the same time) and you'll see...

I got told off for doing that. :/

Response to Hazards in a Recording Studio? 2008-06-11 17:20:32

Studios are pretty safe. I mean the biggest hazard I can think of is cables. Don't leave them all over the place. A solid trip can destroy millions of dollars worth of crap and your face, which if you're a big star, is probably also worth millions of dollars via surgery and so forth.

Response to Hazards in a Recording Studio? 2008-06-11 17:21:49

well, how about speakers falling down hitting you in the head? so much vibration causes the screws to unscrew themselves. SHUS YOU'RE A SOUND GUY, YOU WILL NEVER HEAR THEM RATTLING AND BE ALARMED OF IT >:(

anyway, carrying heavy equipement is a hazard to your back... and feet if you drop it. also, angry singers with an attitude... hughe freakin hazard...

Wakka wakka

Response to Hazards in a Recording Studio? 2008-06-11 17:23:05

At 6/11/08 05:20 PM, MaestroRage wrote: Studios are pretty safe. I mean the biggest hazard I can think of is cables. Don't leave them all over the place. A solid trip can destroy millions of dollars worth of crap and your face, which if you're a big star, is probably also worth millions of dollars via surgery and so forth.

True true. That's the first one I put down. I mean, I even listed "electrical fire" as a hazard. Surely that's not a hazard, it'd be a pretty big problem.
Damn our safe environments.

Response to Hazards in a Recording Studio? 2008-06-11 17:34:03

The biggest hazard you will have in a recording studio is always going to come from electricity and grounding issues between the different components. Often - studios are designed (unintentionally) so that the equipment ends up being connected to two different ground potentials which can prove fatal should any of the equipment chassis' suddenly become "hot" through a grounding fault. The best way to avoid this is simply to tap ground into the same area or potential (earth itself being the best choice naturally) from each separate component - or to simply disconnect the grounding wire from equipment running on separate circuits and run them to the mixing board's ground for example (as this is normally the central hub of any studio anyway). Differences in ground potential often prove to be extremely dangerous because if you become an outlet for them to connect, the "difference" of potential voltage will flow from the higher potential to the lower right through your body. Because this is DC - it's also much more harmful because of the clamping effect that tends to grip someone to the flow of electricity instead of throwing them as AC often does.