00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Roofmatt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Pre-portal Review Crew

15,259 Views | 235 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 07:34:28

Isn't it annoying, when you have a completed, or nearly completed, flash, but you don't know whether to submit it for fear of complete failure? Well, I don't know if anyone else ever has that feeling, but it really bugs me, cos I like getting feedback on my stuff before I do anything with it, like submitting it. Anyway, I'm setting up this Crew to help people in that situation.

Anyone can join the Crew, but you don't have to be a part of it to request a pre-portal review.

A Pre-Portal Review: will be sent via PM to the person that requested the review and be posted here.
shouldn't be "w0w th4t sucked", it should be detailed.
must take into account whether or not the submission is finished.

Rules for PrePortal Reviewers:
- be honest
- consider the time that the Requester has been using flash
- if you didn't like it, then say why so that the animator can improve

PrePortal Requesters, please don't request reviews for stuff that you know won't make it into the portal, post a link to something that you think might actually have a chance.

So, how wants to join, and who needs a PrePortal Review?

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 09:29:17

Question: How can members of the crew view a PrePortal submission?

Because we can't view flashes in NG without submitting them to the portal.

Or did I get something wrong?

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 09:36:02

At 5/25/08 09:29 AM, PWZealot820 wrote: Question: How can members of the crew view a PrePortal submission?

Because we can't view flashes in NG without submitting them to the portal.

Or did I get something wrong?

You put the .swf on a file hoting site and direct people to the link.

I have nothing to say that is at all relevant.

BBS Signature

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 09:38:57

www.spamtheweb.com something like that ya fucking noob.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 09:44:55

At 5/25/08 09:38 AM, sirtom93 wrote: www.spamtheweb.com something like that ya fucking noob.

We're all noobs in some point, so I ain't affected much.

Anyway, I'll like to join. I'll do the best I can to give constructive criticism to any PrePortal flashes. Just don't give me spam flashes.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 10:41:25

I like this idea. I would like to join and help out.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 10:49:13

Ok, cool. So current members list:

Yhtomit (Leader)
PWZealot820
Corky52

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention the posting thing. Here's a list of sites that you can use:
www.spamtheweb.com/ul
www.ngup.net
www.imageshack.com
www.putfile.com
www.swfup.com

Any other sites would be helpful.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 13:06:05

Not only do I want to review the movies, but I think I will have some upcoming flashes that I will put through here before I put them on the portal.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 13:15:58

I will join. Do audio aswell?

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 14:39:23

At 5/25/08 01:06 PM, Corky52 wrote: Not only do I want to review the movies, but I think I will have some upcoming flashes that I will put through here before I put them on the portal.

Sweet. Looking forward to that.

At 5/25/08 1:15 PM, sirtom93 wrote: I will join. Do audio aswell?

Cool. Yeh, I don't see why not. Would mean we get slightly more requests.

Members:
Yhtomit
Corky52
PWZealot820
sirtom93

Ok, I'm going to set the ball rolling here, can I get some Pre-Portal Reviews for this?

Tip: Start off the review with whether or not it'd get into the portal.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 16:19:59

Well i would for sure love to join, and also be sure ill pm you my game when it will be done

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 17:20:29

At 5/25/08 02:39 PM, Yhtomit wrote:
Ok, I'm going to set the ball rolling here, can I get some Pre-Portal Reviews for this?

Tip: Start off the review with whether or not it'd get into the portal.

Ok, well I'm almost 100 percent sure that would make in through the portal. I would vote 3/5 and give it a 7/10 review.

I would have to say just work on the drawing a little bit. If the drawing was just a little bit better it could get a 4/5 out of me and a 8/10. A nice bit of humor in there, but nothing overly funny. Overall decent job.

Make sure to link the movie here when it is submitted to the portal to so I can actually write the review.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 18:17:02

I could've sworn this was the purpose of, y'know, of the portal...

BBS Signature

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 18:45:03

At 5/25/08 06:17 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I could've sworn this was the purpose of, y'know, of the portal...

Oh, since when did the portal tell you what to do to make your movie pass way before you even submit it to the portal?

I'm just joking around of course.

Isn't this a good idea to help lesson movies that aren't going to pass through the portal?

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 18:51:23

At 5/25/08 06:45 PM, Corky52 wrote:
Isn't this a good idea to help lesson movies that aren't going to pass through the portal?

And by lesson, I mean lessen.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-25 20:28:03

got a point, although i'll miss the blam points

i play team fortress 2 on EGO servers

gamertag "dog stilez"

i go paintballing often [NG airsoft/paintball group]

BBS Signature

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 01:51:12

At 5/25/08 02:39 PM, Yhtomit wrote: Ok, I'm going to set the ball rolling here, can I get some Pre-Portal Reviews for this?

Hmm..I'd give it a 3/5, 7/10. it was fair enough for me, but I think it'll have a 40-60% chance of passing the portal.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 03:37:29

OK, cool so:

Yhtomit
PWZealot
sirtom93
Corky52
blindsniper

Thanks for joining.

And thanks for the PrePortal Reveiws, guys. I gotta admit, though, that flash I posted was pretty decent for just a few hours work.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 04:31:38

At 5/25/08 06:17 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I could've sworn this was the purpose of, y'know, of the portal...

I don't like to bash a mod, but you REALLY didn't give that post much thought. I hope you are aware that a sponsoring company does not allow a game to get sponsored once it's gone live on any portal website. Considering this small fact, that leaves the portal useless in the scenario of having a random ballet of people review your game (other then friends) before a sponsored projectl goes live. People who have a project that is about to be sponsored could always use feedback before they're completed, and the portal can't offer that. Again seriously not trying to bash you, but don't act tough shit because your a mod.

Other then defending this, I like the idea of it, needs to be organized and I think you SHOULD filter who can join. Authors don't want just anybody looking at nearly finished work. Perhaps a certain amount of reviews here on newgrounds must be acquired before joining?
Polish the idea, I'll check up on this again if it ends up working out for you, I like the idea of having people look at my work, and I'd rather not IM people and send each of them the file all the time hehe.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 04:52:56

So you'd like to see the Portal flooded with test flashes?

At 5/26/08 04:31 AM, Matt-Porter wrote:
Other then defending this, I like the idea of it, needs to be organized and I think you SHOULD filter who can join. Authors don't want just anybody looking at nearly finished work. Perhaps a certain amount of reviews here on newgrounds must be acquired before joining?

There are some reviewers who have great criticism, but have a few reviews.

Polish the idea, I'll check up on this again if it ends up working out for you, I like the idea of having people look at my work, and I'd rather not IM people and send each of them the file all the time hehe.

Concurred.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 05:08:14

At 5/26/08 04:31 AM, Matt-Porter wrote: Other then defending this, I like the idea of it, needs to be organized and I think you SHOULD filter who can join. Authors don't want just anybody looking at nearly finished work. Perhaps a certain amount of reviews here on newgrounds must be acquired before joining?

Actually, that is a good idea, but as PWZealot820 (yes! I've finally memorised it!) said, some people give good critism but few reveiws, so it'd be tough.

Cool, so week can look forward to previewing your flash in the future? Cool.

I know that at the moment we don't really have a 100% structure, more a 98% one, but once we start getting more interest from Pre-Portal Requesters, we'll be able to find and iron out all the creases in the system.

So, anyone browsing with a flash they need feeback for?

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 07:11:37

The eurovision flash was quite ammusing and well animated, I like the angry faic - very random. But even if England had the best entry ever we would still lose due to the fact that were not in eastern europe.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 08:08:13

At 5/26/08 07:11 AM, sirtom93 wrote: The eurovision flash was quite ammusing and well animated, I like the angry faic - very random. But even if England had the best entry ever we would still lose due to the fact that were not in eastern europe.

Way too true. You know what, today, I'm going to submit that flash, like I should have done two days ago. Thanks for all the feedback.

Let's keep track of who's done how many reveiws. It'd help if we ever decided to have small awards or something.

So here it is, after one PP Submission:
Yhtomit: 0/1
sirtom93: 1/1
Corky52: 1/1
PWZealot: 1/1
blindsniper: 0/1

Could I also ask that everyone who joins this crew to post atleast once a week and to put a link in their sigs.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 08:11:10

At 5/26/08 08:08 AM, Yhtomit wrote: Let's keep track of who's done how many reveiws. It'd help if we ever decided to have small awards or something.

Awards? Hmm..

Could I also ask that everyone who joins this crew to post atleast once a week and to put a link in their sigs?

Sigs=done.

Posting=will do.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 08:36:49

Ok I have added to sig.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 10:50:03

At 5/26/08 08:36 AM, sirtom93 wrote: Ok I have added to sig.

And as have I.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 13:14:49

Hmm I would love to join this club. I think I can help you with the reviews.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 16:04:40

i already posted this before but i didn't know about this crew.... can u review my game?

the other post

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 16:23:17

MLL - the game is fun with a nice touch being the particles. Well presented and nice gameplay, slightly slow but I would say it is ready for the portal, once it is to the best of your ability.

Response to The Pre-portal Review Crew 2008-05-26 16:41:22

thank you but i think i can still make this game better