00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Linux Users Club

49,165 Views | 413 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-05 12:00:02

At 8/5/10 11:53 AM, Gamewiz wrote: Oh, well maybe its just my browser, I'm using google chrome for Linux.. So I don't know if its the program or not.. Anywaym I'll check into it.

Hm, that's strange. I'm using Chrome too, and I'm not having any problems at all.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-05 12:13:14

Hm.. thats weird.. I guess I'll just have to leave my pointer over in the lower right hand corner, at least over there it won't get caught in my text so that it can switch to another part of my written text. maybe its just an isolated issue, could be a driver issue or something random like that..

Ah well, maybe it'll get fixed in the next Ubuntu update...

w/e I'll just deal with it for now.

Blammin' and Shit Postin'

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-05 13:25:09

At 8/5/10 12:13 PM, Gamewiz wrote: Ah well, maybe it'll get fixed in the next Ubuntu update...
w/e I'll just deal with it for now.

You could go to the Ubuntu Forums. There are more experienced people there who could help. Maybe they know what to do.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-05 16:58:19

I've actually made a thread on the Ubuntu forums about 3 or 4 hours ago.. Still no response from anyone except me bumping the thread..

Also back on the last page of the thread when you told me to put in all of that code so I can manually mess with my settings.. Well it's not working, for some reason it will ask me for my password, I'll put it in, it will do the confirmation thing and automatically abort before I can press yes.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-06 16:24:06

I think I fixed my problem, I think I was accedently hitting my touch pad on my laptop, I tried disabling it, but I guess the driver for the touch pad isn't updated enough to use the disable button.

Anyway, I just turned of clicking on my touch pad and now I'm doing fine, so I guess it was a bit of user error haha.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-06 22:04:23

At 8/6/10 04:24 PM, Gamewiz wrote: I think I fixed my problem, I think I was accedently hitting my touch pad on my laptop, I tried disabling it, but I guess the driver for the touch pad isn't updated enough to use the disable button.

Anyway, I just turned of clicking on my touch pad and now I'm doing fine, so I guess it was a bit of user error haha.

Oh yeah, just a note, sometimes a faulty driver can make a touch pad too sensitive. Touch pads can actually detect when you're near the pad, and not only when you're touching it. If a touch pad becomes too sensitive, it tends to move easily and click by accident. Placement might also matter.

Now that it's been a few days, how's it going with Ubuntu? Are you getting used to it? Any applications you like?

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-06 22:13:15

At 8/6/10 10:04 PM, thenewbies wrote: Oh yeah, just a note, sometimes a faulty driver can make a touch pad too sensitive. Touch pads can actually detect when you're near the pad, and not only when you're touching it. If a touch pad becomes too sensitive, it tends to move easily and click by accident. Placement might also matter.

I just tested it out, and my touch pad is really sensitive now.. that could have been the issue, but its not a problem anymore because I disabled clicking by the touch, only by button push :D

Now that it's been a few days, how's it going with Ubuntu? Are you getting used to it? Any applications you like?

I'm liking a few of the games like "Billiard-GL" and "gl-177"- a flight simulator.

Ohhh yes I'm getting used to Ubuntu quite well, I'd say I've a fair understanding of it, though I'm probably wrong anyway. Also, that install code you gave me on the last page, is not working, termanal auto aborts after I put in my password >.<.

Anyway I'm loving ubuntu, I've got my weather updates from it now (AWESOME app) and I'm trying to get my aunt to install it on her laptop.. BUT she has a 64 bit PC, and I'm not sure of the differences and I've only got the 32 bit system disc.

Once we figure out the differences we'll just download the 64 bit system and make a disc for that also.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-06 22:48:58

You can install Ubuntu 32-bit with no problem on a 64-bit machine. The same isn't true for the inverse. Ubuntu offers a 64-bit version, but you can still use your 32-bit disk without any problem. For the most part, there isn't much of a difference, it's just that you get a few more drops out of your computer. :)

I don't understand why the install command doesn't work. It should. Maybe Ubuntu Forums has an answer.

Now for a tip. Unlike in Windows, Ubuntu has a lot of shortcuts. I still haven't found a lot, but the ones I have found are really useful. Windows+drag will resize a window, without any need for trying to touch an edge. If you don't feel like copying and pasting text, you can simply select the text to copy, go to the textbox you want to paste it in, and middle click. AUTO-PASTE OMG

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-06 23:15:31

Did you know that if you press the windows key and the middle button, you can make a zoom box, and to zoom back out you do the same think over a larger area. I figured this out on accedent right after you posted about the shortcuts.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-07 12:27:17

Looks like I was mistaken. Windows+drag isn't how you resize windows.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-07 12:55:13

At 8/7/10 12:27 PM, thenewbies wrote: Looks like I was mistaken. Windows+drag isn't how you resize windows.

I was going to say something about that in my last post, but I figured you would find out for yourself.. Ah well, no harm no foul.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-07 13:09:56

At 8/7/10 12:55 PM, Gamewiz wrote:
At 8/7/10 12:27 PM, thenewbies wrote: Looks like I was mistaken. Windows+drag isn't how you resize windows.
I was going to say something about that in my last post, but I figured you would find out for yourself.. Ah well, no harm no foul.

I remembered it. It was ALT+middle drag.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-07 13:46:25

At 8/6/10 10:48 PM, thenewbies wrote: If you don't feel like copying and pasting text, you can simply select the text to copy, go to the textbox you want to paste it in, and middle click. AUTO-PASTE OMG

Some may think it's a feature, I think it's just annoying. I can easily copy&paste with CTRL+C and CTRL+V, isn't too hard to do that (besides, I have 5 buttons on my mouse, and one is configured to copy, and one to paste ^^). I would really like to use my middle mouse button to scroll (pressing it usually allows me to scroll around in documents or web pages by moving the mouse up and down).
Is there any way to disable to copy/paste function?

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-07 14:37:04

At 8/7/10 01:46 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 8/6/10 10:48 PM, thenewbies wrote: If you don't feel like copying and pasting text, you can simply select the text to copy, go to the textbox you want to paste it in, and middle click. AUTO-PASTE OMG
Some may think it's a feature, I think it's just annoying. I can easily copy&paste with CTRL+C and CTRL+V, isn't too hard to do that (besides, I have 5 buttons on my mouse, and one is configured to copy, and one to paste ^^).

Well mine is a standard 3-button, and I navigate a lot with my mouse, so I'd much rather keep using the mouse than to interrupt with a key combo. I understand it's easy to reach, but auto-paste really speeds things up for me.

I would really like to use my middle mouse button to scroll (pressing it usually allows me to scroll around in documents or web pages by moving the mouse up and down). Is there any way to disable to copy/paste function?

I don't think so. I think it was a design feature in GNOME, and since it's a global feature that works across applications, they rarely respond to middle clicking. There are addons for Firefox and Chrome that allow you to speed scroll with the middle button, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-07 15:01:47

At 8/7/10 02:37 PM, thenewbies wrote:
At 8/7/10 01:46 PM, Haggard wrote:
Some may think it's a feature, I think it's just annoying. I can easily copy&paste with CTRL+C and CTRL+V, isn't too hard to do that (besides, I have 5 buttons on my mouse, and one is configured to copy, and one to paste ^^).
Well mine is a standard 3-button, and I navigate a lot with my mouse, so I'd much rather keep using the mouse than to interrupt with a key combo. I understand it's easy to reach, but auto-paste really speeds things up for me.

Yeah, I got used to using keyboard shortcuts, so I'm pretty fast with my left hand, lol.

I would really like to use my middle mouse button to scroll (pressing it usually allows me to scroll around in documents or web pages by moving the mouse up and down). Is there any way to disable to copy/paste function?
I don't think so. I think it was a design feature in GNOME, and since it's a global feature that works across applications, they rarely respond to middle clicking. There are addons for Firefox and Chrome that allow you to speed scroll with the middle button, though.

It's no of no use for me, since I use Opera.
I really like gnome (much better than KDE, imo), but I hate that you can't really configure your mouse. I read it's no problem in KDE, but I'm not switching to that just because of my mouse. ^^

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-07 15:18:20

At 8/7/10 03:01 PM, Haggard wrote: I really like gnome (much better than KDE, imo), but I hate that you can't really configure your mouse. I read it's no problem in KDE, but I'm not switching to that just because of my mouse. ^^

lol you can configure anything in KDE. Which is the main reason I don't like it. There's too many things given to you to configure, most of which I couldn't care less about. GNOME is at least simple to use. Plus, in GNOME, a lot of unimportant configuation à la KDE requires a tweaking program, so there's still a way to customize it extensively.

The auto-paste is built into GNOME, so there's virtually no hope of suppressing it.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-11 19:42:09

And with that, KDE 4.5 is released, GNOME 3 is delayed, and this club is dead.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-11 19:59:50

Yea, I guess its time to revive the club eh?

How's the the KDE? Actually, whats the difference from the Gnome and KDE?

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-11 20:08:10

I prefer GNOME over KDE. KDE has lots of customization options, but a lot of them, I don't really care about. GNOME, which is default in Ubuntu, is simple, which is why I like it. It works. It still has customizing abilities, but it's not as much as KDE. If I absolutely have to change something, I tweak or hack it out, since that's what GNOME developers suggest.

Anything new with your copy of Ubuntu?

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-11 20:27:56

At 8/11/10 08:08 PM, thenewbies wrote:
Anything new with your copy of Ubuntu?

Well I was having some issues with some of the games I had downloaded from the Ubuntu Download Center, but I fixed my problem. I messed with my settings and made the games unable to run.. (it was a resolution issue) But after I went into my hidden files and deleted the folders the games made; I just re-installed the games and they worked again :D.

Other than that I haven't really had any issues.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-11 20:37:37

GET SOME THEMES. If you haven't done so already. Elementary is probably the best. Maybe get a new icon theme while you're at it.

Make your computer look cooler.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-11 22:10:14

At 8/11/10 08:37 PM, thenewbies wrote: Make your computer look cooler.

You are making me want to physically re-install Ubuntu now. Grr!!! Must.... resist... temptation!!!

Fuck, I may just install it along-side Windows 7. I am currently virutal-booting Ubuntu, so that's not that bad.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-22 20:46:47

At 8/11/10 08:37 PM, thenewbies wrote: GET SOME THEMES. If you haven't done so already. Elementary is probably the best. Maybe get a new icon theme while you're at it.

Make your computer look cooler.

Yea, well, the default theme was like.. Made for me. I dunno, its just perfect for me, I've looked through a few different themes and nothing seems better to me.. Anyway, what is that program that makes the startup menu more interesting.. the basic text is getting pretty boring haha.

Also, Does anyone know how to uninstall Window's vista? My computer was a vista PC, but I installed 7 onto it. I didn't know that vista stayed on my pc afterward but when I installed Ubuntu and went though the OS chooser I saw that name again. Anyway can I un-install that?

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-23 10:04:48

At 8/22/10 08:46 PM, Gamewiz wrote: Also, Does anyone know how to uninstall Window's vista? My computer was a vista PC, but I installed 7
onto it. I didn't know that vista stayed on my pc afterward but when I installed Ubuntu and went though
the OS chooser I saw that name again. Anyway can I un-install that?

If you go to the Start Orb, and click All Programs in it, select Accessories. From this, select System Tools and Disc Cleanup. A window will appear and prompt you to select the drive containing the 'Windows.old' folder on it. For the most part this will be drive C:. Check to be sure though. It will then scan for files that it can remove, but it will not include Previous Windows Installations in that search. From memory there is another window that will appear with a check box to include such files or something, and you can then use that to mark the Previous Windows Installations for cleanup. This should allow you to clear up the older installations of Windows, but I recommend you copy over any documents and music that you want to salvage, assuming you have not already done so.

I think I might be eligible enough to join the Linux Club, as I recently downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and I've been using it more and more. I'm very fond of the customisation aspect to Linux, and while Windows 7 remains my primary operating system I can see myself recommending Ubuntu to people who are disgruntled with Microsoft's OS in the future.

I'm on Last.fm!

Also, I used to be YeOldeSierra. Now I'm just Sierra :3

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-23 10:32:18

Well, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS onto my laptop, and it's staying no matter what now.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-23 11:52:50

At 8/23/10 10:32 AM, UnknownFear wrote: Well, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS onto my laptop, and it's staying no matter what now.

That is, until the next release.

At 8/22/10 08:46 PM, Gamewiz wrote: Yea, well, the default theme was like.. Made for me. I dunno, its just perfect for me, I've looked through a few different themes and nothing seems better to me..

Really? I get tired with default settings so easily, and now my desktop looks nothing like it's advertised as. I would have thought you'd like the Elementary theme. You can google it, it's pretty well-known as a quality theme. It also has an icon theme that will replace the default icons with Elementary-style ones. But if you want to stick to default, that's your choice.

Anyway, what is that program that makes the startup menu more interesting.. the basic text is getting pretty boring haha.

BURG. Installation info here.

Also, Does anyone know how to uninstall Window's vista? My computer was a vista PC, but I installed 7 onto it. I didn't know that vista stayed on my pc afterward but when I installed Ubuntu and went though the OS chooser I saw that name again. Anyway can I un-install that?

Does it say "Vista loader" or something like that? Ubuntu adds that entry when you install it to prevent compatibility problems with Vista. 7 doesn't have those problems. Anyway, you can remove the entry with a bit of hacking(which you should be very careful to do).

If you actually do have Vista installed and you're sure it's not a blank entry, Windows 7 probably has some sort of method of removing old Windows systems from your computer, but I don't have 7, so I don't know.

At 8/23/10 10:04 AM, YeOldeSierra wrote: I think I might be eligible enough to join the Linux Club, as I recently downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, and I've been using it more and more.

Glad you like it. Ubuntu is really fast and you should consider spending a majority of your time on it. Except for games(for the most part), Ubuntu can do anything Windows can, without commercial software.

I'm very fond of the customisation aspect to Linux.

Which is why Linux is open source. It's versatile and efficient. Since it's open for anyone to use, it can be incorporated anywhere. Android runs on it, and hell, Macs are distantly related to Linux. Anyone can make a useful and usable product out of a bundle of code like this.

I can see myself recommending Ubuntu to people who are disgruntled with Microsoft's OS in the future.

Like me. I still use Windows, but Ubuntu fulfills all I need to do, normally. I pretty much only play games on Windows.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-09-06 11:02:15

And boom! 10.10 Maverick Meerkat enters the beta stage. Along with an even simpler and faster installer, there's a totally awesome "sound menu" which manages volume and controls your music player, and also gives info on the song you're playing. Isn't it fascinating?

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-09-11 09:51:21

At 9/6/10 11:02 AM, thenewbies wrote: And boom! 10.10 Maverick Meerkat enters the beta stage. Along with an even simpler and faster installer, there's a totally awesome "sound menu" which manages volume and controls your music player, and also gives info on the song you're playing. Isn't it fascinating?

Nice! I'm actually going to install OpenSUSE and see how it runs. My Linux course uses it so I thought what the hell.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-10-03 13:30:02

Hey guys, as you should already know, the official release of Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat comes out one week from today. I'm personally looking forward to it. I like how the music player will go better with the Ubuntu interface. The new font should be interesting also.

Thoughts?

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-10-03 14:15:04

At 10/3/10 01:30 PM, Gamewiz wrote: Hey guys, as you should already know, the official release of Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat comes out one week from today. I'm personally looking forward to it. I like how the music player will go better with the Ubuntu interface. The new font should be interesting also.

Thoughts?

THE VOLUME MENU INTEGRATES WITH THE MUSIC PLAYER CONTROLS OMG. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't add that much stuff. Just a bunch of software updates and more Ubuntu branding. The gap between 9.10 and 10.04 was bigger. I'll still be updating the day of. Torrent speeds are crazy on release days.

BBS Signature