00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Willyp213 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club

126,720 Views | 1,160 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2014-12-19 13:16:47

At 12/19/14 05:06 AM, Amaranthus wrote: So, they'll be showing Gotham here soon. And I was wondering if I should give it a shot. I didn't really like Agents of SHIELD. So I'm not sure if I'd enjoy this show.

I've enjoyed Gotham, it's not really a "comic book show" it's more about a good cop trying to navigate through a completely corrupt system. I also think Agents of SHIELD has been very good since The Winter Soldier turned it upside down.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2014-12-20 00:06:55

When Sony was hacked by North Korea, it was revealed that Sony may allow Spider-man to be in a future Marvel film. Do you think that is a good idea, or should Sony just give Spider-man back to Marvel?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/14/spider-man-marvel-rumors_n_6323030.html

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2014-12-24 02:49:18

At 12/20/14 12:06 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: When Sony was hacked by North Korea, it was revealed that Sony may allow Spider-man to be in a future Marvel film. Do you think that is a good idea, or should Sony just give Spider-man back to Marvel?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/14/spider-man-marvel-rumors_n_6323030.html

There is no way that sony would give spidey movie rights back to marvel, it's been such a cash cow. I DO think that spider man should be in a marvel film, as they could maybe represent the character in a way we haven't seen before in a live action film. The first set of spiderman films I personally thought were pretty good, though a bit too cheesy at times to take it seriously. But on the other hand, the amazing spiderman hardly feels like spiderman at all. It's just too serious. If spiderman were to be in a marvel film I would hope that they could get the best of both worlds.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2014-12-25 11:24:05

At 12/24/14 02:49 AM, JaredinoV2 wrote: There is no way that sony would give spidey movie rights back to marvel, it's been such a cash cow.

Ummm, reports say that TASM2 barely grossed profit for Sony. Unless it was wrong, Spider man is useless to Sony right now, but it's the only thing that's giving them profit in all fairness so I guess they will hold on to it for a while.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2014-12-25 13:17:18

At 12/25/14 11:24 AM, darkjam wrote: Ummm, reports say that TASM2 barely grossed profit for Sony.

Total or domestically?

Unless it was wrong, Spider man is useless to Sony right now,

Useless? You seem to be under the impression that the only value in the license or the films are what they do theatrically. You're forgetting ancillary rights like product spun off from, sales of television and other broadcast rights, distribution and foreign distribution rights. There's still a lot of money that comes from the films. Not to mention they are still in the process of making another 3 or more films.

but it's the only thing that's giving them profit in all fairness so I guess they will hold on to it for a while.

It's not the only thing making them a profit, but it is a big money maker and the public still loves super hero films. However if Sony continues to not have much success making these themselves then I think it might be time for them to get in touch with Marvel again and really try to hammer out some sort of sharing agreement where Marvel does the actual production and they somehow split the profits.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2014-12-25 16:12:59

At 12/25/14 11:24 AM, darkjam wrote:
At 12/24/14 02:49 AM, JaredinoV2 wrote: There is no way that sony would give spidey movie rights back to marvel, it's been such a cash cow.
Ummm, reports say that TASM2 barely grossed profit for Sony. Unless it was wrong, Spider man is useless to Sony right now, but it's the only thing that's giving them profit in all fairness so I guess they will hold on to it for a while.

The main profit for superhero movies doesn't actually come from ticket sales, but from merchandising like someone else said. Every movie gives them a change to pump out more toys, t-shirts, shows or anything else they can think of. Think of it like the star wars movies. Sure the movies themselves were a smash hit, but the long term profits came from merchandising.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2014-12-27 18:00:53

started reading the IDW Judge Dredd stuff recently, its all right so far, rather grim when compared to the stories we get over here in the uk but enjoyable at least.

I also read Dc comics zero year, the batman stuff is ok, but the other stories in it i didnt care for too much, new 52 does have a few unnecessarily naft stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2014-12-27 19:42:56

At 12/27/14 06:00 PM, thespazicat wrote: the stories we get over here in the uk but enjoyable at least.

Hey hey, another UK comic book fan!

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2014-12-27 21:49:21

I just read volume one of moon knight, and it is pretty lame. Basically a darker version of batman who can't die and is an asshole.
Im not a fan. The panel progression feels weird.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2014-12-29 16:56:39

At 12/27/14 09:49 PM, JaredinoV2 wrote: I just read volume one of moon knight, and it is pretty lame. Basically a darker version of batman who can't die and is an asshole.
Im not a fan. The panel progression feels weird.

Moon Knight does get better if you give it a chance.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-05 02:21:17

So I'm presuming, considering it's a form of comic books, we can talk about manga here. How does everyone feel about that Attack on Titan crossover with Marvel 'Attack on Avengers'?

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-05 15:34:22

At 12/27/14 07:42 PM, darkjam wrote:
At 12/27/14 06:00 PM, thespazicat wrote: the stories we get over here in the uk but enjoyable at least.

I'm from the UK too!!

Heavy Vibes

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-06 16:07:18

At 1/5/15 03:34 PM, Pink-Ninja wrote:
I'm from the UK too!!

The group grows!

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-06 17:54:06

At 1/6/15 04:07 PM, darkjam wrote:
I'm from the UK too!!
The group grows!

pass out the tea and crumpets,(or haggis in my case), we don't need ya batmans or ya supermans, we got good ol 2000 ad.... and thats pretty much it. yeah... still good reads though

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-07 12:46:39

At 1/6/15 05:54 PM, thespazicat wrote: pass out the tea and crumpets,(or haggis in my case), we don't need ya batmans or ya supermans, we got good ol 2000 ad.... and thats pretty much it. yeah... still good reads though

I honestly wish the American market was less hostile to anthology series or at the least was more receptive to imports of such. It is beyond frustrating that we're so narrowly restricted to super hero after super hero on the racks with very little space for anything else because people refuse to support anything else.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-07 17:32:27

At 1/6/15 05:54 PM, thespazicat wrote:
pass out the tea and crumpets,(or haggis in my case), we don't need ya batmans or ya supermans, we got good ol 2000 ad.... and thats pretty much it. yeah... still good reads though

LOVE LIVE 2000AD don't forget Captain Britain :P

Heavy Vibes

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-08 00:07:30

At 1/7/15 12:46 PM, aviewaskewed wrote:
At 1/6/15 05:54 PM, thespazicat wrote: pass out the tea and crumpets,(or haggis in my case), we don't need ya batmans or ya supermans, we got good ol 2000 ad.... and thats pretty much it. yeah... still good reads though
I honestly wish the American market was less hostile to anthology series or at the least was more receptive to imports of such. It is beyond frustrating that we're so narrowly restricted to super hero after super hero on the racks with very little space for anything else because people refuse to support anything else.

The american market isn't hostile towards anthology series (otherwise how do you explain graphic novels, which are most often collected full color comics reprinted under one cover) but it is the fact that most comic book stores sell trade copies, and that is where most of there profits come from. The market is VERY happy to see anthologies, if you go to your normal bookstore, manga tankoban outnumber the comics.

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-20 10:13:59

At 1/6/15 05:54 PM, thespazicat wrote:
At 1/6/15 04:07 PM, darkjam wrote:
I'm from the UK too!!
The group grows!

I guess you guys can add another Brit to the list. I recently became really interested in Judge Dredd again. I'm not too sure what it was that made me want more Dredd but it's a pretty strong craving. Was actually first introduced to the character when I was much younger as a result of the Stallone movie, which I realize is hated and I understand why, but back then I was young, had no previous experience with the character and thought he was so bad-ass after seeing that film. Never really got into the comics though. Only other experience of him was the Judge Dredd vs. Death video game. Loved the character from those two things alone.

When they released the 2012 Dredd film I decided to watch that, thought it was really good and decided I was going to check out some of the comics. Although I don't think I made the best choice because I got myself a copy of Case Files 1 which I personally wasn't finding all that interesting at the time. Didn't take it any further from there.

Couple weeks back I got done reading Superman Birthright, decided I wanted to see if there were any British comics I could get into and remembered that we have 2000AD and the Dredd Megazines. Took a gamble and subscribed to both, but couldn't wait for my first issues to arrive so when I was in town earlier had a look to see if anywhere stocks 2000AD or the Megazine, found both and I've been reading them today. It'll take some time to get used to the new strips, but I'm going to stick with this for a while.

They've also conveniently timed the release of the Judge Dredd Mega Collection series, where they're going to be releasing old Dredd stories every 2 weeks as a hardback graphic novel + magazine. First issue is like £2 so figured there's no harm in trying. Seemed like a good way for me to get up to speed on what I've been missing out on. Been hearing good things about the quality of the releases too.

So yea, first time I've ever been subscribed to a comic.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-20 10:43:44

At 1/20/15 10:13 AM, Dean wrote: any British comics I could get into and remembered that we have 2000AD and the Dredd Megazines.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but the beano is somewhat entertaining to me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-20 11:07:34

At 1/20/15 10:43 AM, darkjam wrote: I know this sounds ridiculous, but the beano is somewhat entertaining to me.

When I was much younger I had a HUGE pile of Beano comics. Used to get them all the time and even got given a massive pile of issues that were older than me at the time. I wonder whatever happened to them. Probably got thrown out.

Given that 2000AD and the Megazines are anthology type thing, I'm not really looking for anything else just now, since they have enough variation for me. I have a pile of graphic novels to get through and a bundle of random US comics that I got cheap on eBay. Although the US comics are just random issues that I mainly got just so I could flick through and look at the art, also because they were like 50p per issue.

Read all of 2000AD prog 1913 already. As a new reader, it's a bit strange jumping into storylines mid-way. "Ulysses Sweet, Mechanic For Hire" and "Orlok, Agent of East-Meg One" weren't really all that easy for me to understand because I'd missed the start. The other strips gave enough info to get a decent idea of what's going on.

Almost done with the Megazine, just have the last strip to read which is thankfully a Dredd story prologue. Wasn't so keen on the "American Reaper" stuff. Given that it had 18 pages, not much happened.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-28 09:34:05

At 1/20/15 11:07 AM, Dean wrote:
At 1/20/15 10:43 AM, darkjam wrote: I know this sounds ridiculous, but the beano is somewhat entertaining to me.
When I was much younger I had a HUGE pile of Beano comics. Used to get them all the time and even got given a massive pile of issues that were older than me at the time. I wonder whatever happened to them. Probably got thrown out.

Funnily enough It was the Beano, the Broons and Oor Wullie that got me started reading comics and to be an artist, kinda sad the likes of the beano is more politically correct now which sucks.

I started reading Rouge Trooper recently ( the original run), classic british comics drawn by dave gibbons, and i've got to say It could work as sort of a rambo esq movie really (of course minus stallone, we know what happened when a certain other 2000 ad movie that shall never be named which involved him), think the likes of how dredd sticks to the comics but ups the violence and is more aimed towards adults, I dunno I think it be cool if they did that.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-28 12:30:53

At 1/5/15 02:21 AM, darkjam wrote: So I'm presuming, considering it's a form of comic books, we can talk about manga here. How does everyone feel about that Attack on Titan crossover with Marvel 'Attack on Avengers'?

That might be hard to pull off, but could work. Not sure that Super heroes would live in fear from regular titans?

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-01-28 14:15:42

So apparently Marvel is "ending" it's universe upcoming with the new Secret Wars....this will result in a cancellation or re-launch of some books. Including possibly Magneto and Loki. Not sure why Marvel doesn't want any of my money by cancelling or re-launching books that I like but....well, I guess they've got enough people that want tweaks on the same old formula that it doesn't really matter.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-02-07 06:13:57

Currently reading through the first Judge Dredd Mega Collection book; America. I know this is generally already regarded as one of the favorite Dredd stories but I've been really enjoying it. The physical books itself is really nice too, especially considering the first one only cost £2 ($3). It's Mechanismo next for a discount price again, then it's up to the standard £10 per book, which even then is pretty good value because most of these Dredd books on amazon cost more than that in paperback. Really looking forward to the rest of this collection. Hoping to stick with it for all 80 releases.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-02-07 13:57:37

Tried to start reading From Hell today after hammering through the first two collections of Fables.

Can't do it. The switch from the pure joyful insanity of Fables to Moore's bleak dullness is too much of a leap to make.

Going to give Morrison's run on Animal Man a go instead.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-02-07 20:53:22

At 2/7/15 01:57 PM, TheMaster wrote: Can't do it. The switch from the pure joyful insanity of Fables to Moore's bleak dullness is too much of a leap to make.

Yeah, you really have to come at that from the right mindset, or at least having read something similar beforehand (I always have to be cognizant of what my reading palette is set to or I could be reading something, anything, really good but I just won't get into it because it's the wrong sort of thing to read right then). I think it also helps if you have an interest in the topics being discussed within the narrative.

Going to give Morrison's run on Animal Man a go instead.

That is an EXCELLENT piece of work right there. One of my favorites.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-02-08 09:10:08

Spend today searching for this shit in town. It's like a drug.

Nothing in Travelling Man, nothing in Forbidden Planet, nothing in Waterstones.

Ended up searching on my phone in desperation, found a tiny independent store, and ended up spending £100 there.

Seemed pretty cool. They do stamp cards like coffee shops. Buy 9 books between £10-£25, get the 10th one free.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-02-09 07:39:51

At 2/8/15 09:10 AM, TheMaster wrote: Spend today searching for this shit in town. It's like a drug.

I don't have any places in town to go searching for stuff. WHSmith is probably the only place that's even remotely likely to stock anything comic related and from past experience, there selection is pretty slim. Although I was surprised recently to discover that they actually sold 2000AD in there. But I have a subscription now anyway, so that wasn't a terribly exciting discovery.

I also noticed that they do stock some kind of Batman comic. No idea what it was, didn't pay much attention to the time but I don't think it was any of the New 52 type stuff. Does the UK have it's own run of Marvel/DC stuff, or is it just the US stuff in a different format? The comic books themselves look different, made of different paper.

I might take a wander into WHSmith later seeing as I have the day off work and just have a rummage around. See what they actually stock in there. We used to have a pretty cool independent book store that stocked a ton of stuff in a really small shop but sadly, he's gone now. So is the other shop that used to sell used comic books and other types of media.

Small town problems.

BBS Signature

At 2/9/15 07:39 AM, Dean wrote: I also noticed that they do stock some kind of Batman comic. No idea what it was, didn't pay much attention to the time but I don't think it was any of the New 52 type stuff. Does the UK have it's own run of Marvel/DC stuff, or is it just the US stuff in a different format? The comic books themselves look different, made of different paper.

Some markets have in the past (I don't know about now) been given different material to run in addition to either American editions with different indicia (mostly for the price conversion). So I suppose it's possible it might be UK exclusive, or it's just some Pre-52 arc. Only way to know is to look at it and see if it sounds like anything an American Bat fan is familiar with. I know I've bought books both past and present from the UK and it's the same thing just the cover price is in pounds and not dollars.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club 2015-02-09 21:53:33

At 2/9/15 01:14 PM, Amaranthus wrote: Might try to buy some new comics next week. I'm really weary about Deadpool getting killed off (even if it's not permanent), because his comics are my favourite.

Deadpool has it all, action, comedy, and excitement. I do not want to see it go away.

BBS Signature