00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hooovie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

200+ listens .. I don't get it

2,690 Views | 43 Replies

200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 22:34:22

Is there some special advertising trick that I'm missing ? I see other people with absolute TONS of listens. But none of my tracks have ever gotten over 200.
Now before I get flamed really quick, let me justify my situation.
I'm a very new music producer, roughly 3 months into the production scene.
I'm not looking for fan boys or piles of attention, but the more people that hear my music, the more people that can offer advice or criticism/encouragement.

So I guess my question is; Am I doin it wrong?

"It's alright to be afraid, lord knows I am."

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 22:36:22

Ummm, try reviewing more people, and they will feel more inclined to check yours out.

Be sure you leave a real review and ask nicely for them to check out your stuff... Hopefully that should get you some extra stuff.

Or get on a front page flash or make a kickass top5 or top30 song that tends to get alot of your songs listens, not just the one that got it.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 22:38:02

It all comes down to this phrase:

"I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine"

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 22:40:09

I'm fairly new to newgrounds as well, a friend offered that i ought to upload here, I'm still trying to figure out how most of it works.
Heh for the longest time i couldn't figure out why my tracks were doing so horrible .. until i realized it was on a scale of 5 not 10

I'll try to do that then and just go through and review.
I didn't even think about that. I mean i've gone through and voted, but never really reviewed many people. Didn't think I really had the knowledge or authority to criticize

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 22:42:24

I'll come on over and take a gander =)

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 22:44:27

You can still give your honest opinion about songs, even if you don't know a lot about music. You've got two ears; so you can tell them how much you liked it. That puts you right up there with everyone else :) And I'm sure a lot of people out there would greatly appreciate it.

You could also make good friends with a consistently high rating musician as well. In the 'biz, it's all in who you know.

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 22:46:21

BTW nubbin, I added you to underrated artists. That may help get you some views.

Wat

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 22:46:58

eh.. I feel the same way
My songs get little to no attention at all.
I don't feel that they're that bad..
I review when I can.
I'm always nice, and leave some tips
or thoughts on what could be improved or what is
amazing.
I know where you're comming from.
I just have a feeling the audio portal has more
artists than it does listeners.
maybe?

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 22:49:57

At 2/20/08 10:46 PM, Uthandar wrote:
artists than it does listeners.
maybe?

This may be true... Cause of course, people tend to come to Newgrounds for the flash not the audio.

They usually only come to the audio portal when they hear a song they like in a flash and check out where it came from. Atleast thats my guess.

The audio portal will always be underrated, its better that artists are the only ones around anyways... I'd rather get advice from another artist then someone who doesnt know music or the program.

Wat

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 23:01:39

The audio portal will always be underrated, its better that artists are the only ones around anyways... I'd rather get advice from another artist then someone who doesnt know music or the program.

I know what you're saying. I also agree. I guess.. What I was getting at is that most of the people on the Audio Portal
only want to upload, receive reviews, ratings, make the top lists.
I've spoken with quite a few people, and most of them agree.
Very few people will turn on the Audio Portal instead of their media player
to listen to some great music here.
I've done it myself, and I'm not saying it's bad.
We aren't the only good artists :D

I think, a balance just needs to be made between listening and uploading.
I wish the 5 ratings of the day applied to music as well.

Also, the zero bombers are veryyyy discouraging. :D
I just thought I'd throw that out.

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 23:12:27

I really do appreciate the response, I'm actually reviewing right now. I don't have the the capacity to write a horrible review, if the track i hear is bad then i'll just vote it and leave it at that.
One problem i'm noticing. Is that alot of people rate you based on their preferred genre. For instance, my music isn't a very common genre of music. So someone into deep trance probably isn't going to like it and therefore is going to vote it low, not because its a bad track but because its a style they don't like .. But i guess that's the game then isn't it.

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 23:18:21

That's a great point to put out!!!!!
When people review or rate..
Taking other peoples ideas and thoughts into consideration
is always a must. A person who really loves music should have an ear
for being able to tell if the work is quality or not. Even, if it's a completely different
genre.
Great Point made!
I'm checking you out as well

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 23:52:56

At 2/20/08 10:46 PM, Envy wrote: BTW nubbin, I added you to underrated artists. That may help get you some views.

I'm not going to lie, i have no idea what that means. But it sounds like a good thing :D so thank you very very much

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 23:54:25

At 2/20/08 11:52 PM, nubbinownz wrote:
At 2/20/08 10:46 PM, Envy wrote: BTW nubbin, I added you to underrated artists. That may help get you some views.
I'm not going to lie, i have no idea what that means. But it sounds like a good thing :D so thank you very very much

It's a list that promotes artist that are under the radar. Ones that don't get the recognition they deserve. That's a good thing to be on. :]
And yes, it will help you get MANY reviews.

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 23:55:40

My highest has been 12 listens.
12. Listens.
Count yourself lucky ;).

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-20 23:58:50

I find that review listens and responces just come with time (reviews too since there is that type of edict on the AP), but the longer your song up the more people will find. The only way to get a ton of review right away is to be featured on the weekly top 5 or on the frount page. Otherwise just keep reviewing and it'll come back around.

WUML Lowell 91.5 FM - Real Underground Radio

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 00:06:39

And how does one go about getting on the top 5 ? hehe

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 00:30:45

At 2/21/08 12:06 AM, nubbinownz wrote: And how does one go about getting on the top 5 ? hehe

It based of ratings, basicly every Wednessday the 5 song submitted that week with the highest rating get put on the top five. So basicly the more people who have you on their favorite artists list the more lickly you are to get on their otherwise it's left up to judgement of the people browsing the audio portal when you first submit but if your song just kicks ass it will get up there.

As for the front page, it's hand picked by the NG staff, and they pick what ever they think is good although I hear now their basing alot of it of the underdog list.

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 00:41:26

At 2/20/08 10:38 PM, Sanxion7 wrote: It all comes down to this phrase:

The funny thing about my back...

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 00:43:13

Your probably going to get few more reviews because of this thread. heh

Turn left

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 01:44:12

Also if you do get lucky and manage to make a top 25 song put your name in the title and then do it to all your songs that way if people like your stuff they'll be able to automatically see your submission when it's in the new sumbissions list or what not!

Pat!M /// a.k.a Dj Pope

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 01:55:43

At 2/21/08 12:41 AM, nal1200 wrote:

The funny thing about my back...

classic ...... hahaha<3

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 02:07:25

At 2/20/08 10:40 PM, nubbinownz wrote:
Didn't think I really had the knowledge or authority to criticize

Take that statement back right now! as a listener and creator of music, you have the knowledge and definetly the same authority as everyone esle to criticize.

Just be honest. Criticize- but be encouraging, not bashing. Tell the artist what you like about their music, and tell them what you dislike and how you think they can improve in these areas (you can grade on how well they mastered the track, the chord progressions, melodies, harmonies, and rhythms at work, how well they structured and sequenced the track, the choice of instruments/synths/samples they make and/or use, originality of ideas, how much effort they put into the track, etc.). For more visual pieces you can also say what the music means to you or reminds you of. Just throwin out some ideas- it definetly doesn't need to be an essay but the more detailed you get of course the more enjoyable the review will be (atleast, to most people I would think).

good luck. i've listened to a few your tracks, some nice sounding iDnB!

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 02:16:21

At 2/21/08 02:07 AM, Suspended-3rd-Chord wrote:
Take that statement back right now! as a listener and creator of music, you have the knowledge and definetly the same authority as everyone esle to criticize.

Just be honest. Criticize- but be encouraging, not bashing. Tell the artist what you like about their music, and tell them what you dislike and how you think they can improve in these areas (you can grade on how well they mastered the track, the chord progressions, melodies, harmonies, and rhythms at work, how well they structured and sequenced the track, the choice of instruments/synths/samples they make and/or use, originality of ideas, how much effort they put into the track, etc.). For more visual pieces you can also say what the music means to you or reminds you of. Just throwin out some ideas- it definetly doesn't need to be an essay but the more detailed you get of course the more enjoyable the review will be (atleast, to most people I would think).

I couldn't agree more.
Most people do leave very helpful advice.
I came to this site to get help, and to learn from all of the talent that floats in the air.
I don't want a review that say I should suck on a beavers tail while some guy touches my mother inappropriately..
I want advice!!
:D

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 02:22:09

At 2/21/08 02:16 AM, Uthandar wrote:
I couldn't agree more.
Most people do leave very helpful advice.
I came to this site to get help, and to learn from all of the talent that floats in the air.
I don't want a review that say I should suck on a beavers tail while some guy touches my mother inappropriately..
I want advice!!
D

I'm not going to lie .. i wouldn't mind seeing a review like that. I'd have to screenshot it.

But seriously guys, thank you all for the help. I will become more active in the community here. I really do enjoy seeing all the other artists out there :D

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 02:35:34

Just be honest. Criticize- but be encouraging, not bashing. Tell the artist what you like about their music, and tell them what you dislike and how you think they can improve in these areas.

Amen brother

I'm starting to really like this thread, so much god advise here.

Critisim is important and certain anyone who listens to music and knows what they like can criticize. The format I like to use is "what I liked ... " "what I didn't like..." Critisim is much more helpful than praise.

At 2/21/08 02:22 AM, nubbinownz wrote: But seriously guys, thank you all for the help. I will become more active in the community here.

and Thank you for starting this ausome thread

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 03:34:40

The format I like to use is "what I liked ... " "what I didn't like..." Critisim is much more helpful than
Praise

That's exactly what i'm talking about That's how i'll do it from now on .

BBS Signature

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 15:03:49

At 2/21/08 03:34 AM, nubbinownz wrote:

The format I like to use is "what I liked ... " "what I didn't like..." Critisim is much more helpful than
Praise
That's exactly what i'm talking about That's how i'll do it from now on .

Yep, criticism is good, but keep it light... A lot of people take it the wrong way. I usually post ALL criticism in a review, but say that I enjoyed the song here and there, just to let them know I didnt hate it. That way they know I like it, and I'm just trying to help out... I usually start with something like... "Wow! I really liked this but... [Insert criticism here]"

Wooh for a thread that hasnt been flamed yet. This is truly what the audio forum is supposed to be for.

Wat

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 15:21:01

Yeah, this. I don't think I've had many songs above 200+ views, or if any have, but y'know, there'll always be there so people can always listen.

Response to 200+ listens .. I don't get it 2008-02-21 21:31:14

yeah i noticed i got alot more listens today, but i'm not sure if that's because of me reviewing or because of this thread : \

BBS Signature