00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

957,927 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-03-29 18:18:24

Did the online status and join date on the left of posts fuse into horrible monsters for anyone else?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-03-29 18:24:59

At 3/29/12 06:18 PM, M-Vero wrote: Did the online status and join date on the left of posts fuse into horrible monsters for anyone else?

Already a thread bout it in General.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-03-29 18:30:54

At 3/29/12 06:24 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 3/29/12 06:18 PM, M-Vero wrote: Did the online status and join date on the left of posts fuse into horrible monsters for anyone else?
Already a thread bout it in General.

I have already grown fond of that so called "monster" and have dubbed them "Thingies off to the Left."
Its like a piece of my soul has been returned to me since their arrival.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-03-30 08:48:01

At 3/29/12 06:30 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: I have already grown fond of that so called "monster" and have dubbed them "Thingies off to the Left."

I love my thingy off to the left... its so cute!

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-03-30 14:56:50

My nephew just facpalmed over me... My pride in him continues to grow.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-03-30 15:13:45

At 3/30/12 02:56 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: My nephew just facpalmed over me... My pride in him continues to grow.

Was it because you're an alcoholic or because you're a brony?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-03-30 15:13:16

At 3/30/12 03:13 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 3/30/12 02:56 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: My nephew just facpalmed over me... My pride in him continues to grow.
Was it because you're an alcoholic or because you're a brony?

Probably from a mix of both. Also I was acting a little weird at the time.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-01 17:23:45

At 3/26/12 10:54 AM, lovingthedark wrote: SUPER USEFUL NUDE MODEL REFERENCE SOURCE!
here.

This is unbelievably sweet.

Sorry about being scarce, super busy doing fun time college stuff. I'll try and stop being a bum and photograph some things. Our print show on campus turned out awesome, the one in Baltimore sounds like not so much. It's up right now at Towson College for anyone local who wants to see, not sure where though.

Whole thing was frustrating, the people we were working with over there are asshats. No work could be in a frame, and we weren't allowed to do an opening. AMATEUR.

Anyways, current projects consists of:

Making a quilt with a lumpy guy on it
Building a drawer/shelf unit thing out of wood with lumpy faces for drawers
Make a bunch of stickers for when I'm in New York to be a jerk and put everywhere

Lost the pen to my tablet though, so waiting for the funds to buy a new one before I can finish project 3. How's everyone else been? I care about all of your lives, except for Robs.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-01 17:44:35

At 4/1/12 05:23 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: stuff

oh hai ben! :D ...was nice chatting with you in the ng chat!
happy april fools! everyone!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-01 18:10:28

At 4/1/12 05:44 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 4/1/12 05:23 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: stuff
oh hai ben! :D ...was nice chatting with you in the ng chat!
happy april fools! everyone!

Maybe if you got on aim...when I'm on aim....which is a small window...MAYBE WE'D CHAT MORE

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-01 19:41:10

At 4/1/12 05:23 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Our print show on campus turned out awesome, the one in Baltimore sounds like not so much. It's up right now at Towson College for anyone local who wants to see, not sure where though.

What's the show called at least? So I can try to track it down.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-03 17:26:35

Do you like Google Street View? Yes you do. Did you ever think about visiting a museum on Google Street View? No, you most likely never did. But now you can:

visit museums from around the world without having to leave the house.

or travel around the globe

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-06 06:35:03

Photoshop Troll
These are great, really enjoying the PS's and the responses.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-07 01:22:33

Trolling Photoshop. Totally different.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-07 06:04:50

Just wanted to say thanks to Orn for closing that anatomy thread as it encouraged bad snobby behavior and made the forum a less encouraging place to be in. That's all!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-07 06:15:52

At 4/7/12 06:04 AM, Lucky wrote: Just wanted to say thanks to Orn for closing that anatomy thread as it encouraged bad snobby behavior and made the forum a less encouraging place to be in. That's all!

You're going to fit in so well in Canada.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-07 06:37:31

At 4/7/12 06:04 AM, Lucky wrote: Just wanted to say thanks to Orn for closing that anatomy thread as it encouraged bad snobby behavior and made the forum a less encouraging place to be in. That's all!

While that is true, it's not the (only) reason he locked it.

Its stupid,

don't see how, it was supposed to be an exercise for poeple to train their grasp of anatomy

encourages bad behavior,

The opening post doesn't, sure a lot of the posts after that might but that doesn't necessarily mean the entire thread is wrong. Besides, you're locking post encourages bad behaviour in me.

is pointlessly

it had a point, improving anatomy knowledge in a fun way

nitpicky

for a good cause, the entire thread had nothing to do with criticizing the art in it.

and poorly done,

It could have been done better yeah.... I've seen threads that started off worse than that still get by.

isn't helpful,

as in? you don't think it could help poeple increase their grasp of anatomy even a little? Not all threads in the art forum are helpfull anyways.

implies that the general populous of the art forum knows/ cares about proper anatomical structure

Oh right let's just remove the art101 tutorials too then? and you know what let's also not giving anybody any feedback on their work cause clearly they don't care about that. This is seriously the stupidest thing I've ever seen you write.

(with the OP being one of the least likely to have said knowledge)

how would that matter for the thread? it's not like he was gonna judge poeple and award prizes for who did the best job. It's a community project/activity

and will either continue to contain mean spirited attacks on user art,

yeah looked like that, I agree on this one. Don't think that this alone is enough reason to lock it.

or be a dumping for stylized work that NG artists didnt make which is hardly the right thing to base a thread off of.

luckily the thread wasn't based off of that, and I don't see what makes you think that that is what it would become.

Someone makes a good-spirited community activity, one that actually has the goal to help poeple improve their art, and it get's stomped in the ground like Mufasa by a herd of wildebeest. This shit really disappoints me and I sincerely think that closing post was uncharacteristically retarded from orn.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-07 07:01:35

At 4/7/12 06:37 AM, J-qb wrote: gkdasngdso

By this logic you'd say that movie critics make for good movie directors no?
The purpose of that thread was to find flaws in an image that wasn't created by anyone in particular - finding flaws in a work that isn't your own has bare minimum effects on your own skill.

Bringing in the 'good intentions' card is stupid also.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-07 08:57:10

At 4/7/12 06:37 AM, J-qb wrote:

:LOTS OF STUFF

Jasper, the thread was based off an anime screenshot. How is that not stylized work that NG artists didn't make?

I adore realism and anatomy with a fiery passion, but there is little point in critiquing anatomy in a stylized image. I do think the thread could be redone with people posting images of their own work to get anatomy fixed or just to challenge people. I know I could contribute a few figure drawing failures.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-07 18:39:50

I would be totally fine with an anotomy trouble thread if the images posted there were trying to emulate real life anatomy.
Lupin fucking isn't.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-07 18:42:34

At 4/7/12 06:37 AM, J-qb wrote: blah blah blah

Do you really want to open this can of worms? I hate writing lock posts, but its sort of an unspoken rule that you should try to give one when possible, doesn't mean they will all be great sadly.

The thread was deteriorating into what would eventually be a big cluster fuck of images who's anatomy would be pointless to critique or childish attacks on various peoples anatomy skills.

The idea of the thread "find the anatomical error in the piece" is a good exercise if you are in a figure drawing class where flawless anatomy is the main focus and the person running it has found very specific examples that actually contain anatomical errors that were not stylized or intended (I have been in such classes, and Renaissance pieces are loaded with these). However ultimately the lesson the prof is trying to teach isn't how to spot errors, its more how to make the errors work or be less noticeable, or that sometimes the error is more important to the piece than getting everything correct. However we aren't in that scenario, we are on NG. The art 101 critique tutorial even discourages mentioning anatomy as something because 99% of the user base works in a stylized format where "fixing the anatomy" isn't exactly the big issue in any of their pieces.

Does this mean that users shouldn't know proper anatomy? No. Does it mean that they shouldn't be able to identify when a picture makes an anatomical error? No. It just means that the way the thread was made and going wasn't the right way to go about that topic or activity. All of the pictures in that thread had so many anatomical errors due to stylization that it would be completely pointless to even begin to try to point out where an error was.

So if someone who really knew what they were doing and talking about was able to find pictures that had a only a small handful of errors, and wasn't mean spirited about them, and wanted to run it themselves, and knew the correct answer to the question "where is the error" in the piece so that they could confirm and deny when users made guesses, then maybe the thread would have a purpose.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-08 02:53:25

See, if you had written that it wouldnt look like you're decapitating every initiative.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-08 19:52:56

Vice.com is a very documentary heavy website, they have a whole show called art talk.

why not check it out?

Also reading above; did I evoke argument amoungst you lot? man.

You should know I was piss drunk when I made that thread and just wanted to laugh at people more talented than I.

and before you bitch and moan; got no more fucks to give, I'm all out so don't go running your mouth because I'm not chasing after it.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-08 20:11:48

At 4/8/12 07:52 PM, M-Maher wrote: Also reading above; did I evoke argument amoungst you lot? man.

You should know I was piss drunk when I made that thread and just wanted to laugh at people more talented than I.

and before you bitch and moan; got no more fucks to give, I'm all out so don't go running your mouth because I'm not chasing after it.

I'm not against the idea of studying various pieces and picking out their flaws, I do think that it is a valid exercise, but a single frame of animation is not a good example by any stretch of the imagination.
Animation has to be somewhat over exaggerated to work in the first place. Especially scenes of movement and action. Coupling that with basic practices of animation along with the stylization of what ever show you are showing, and you get wildly skewed anatomy. It all works because the illusion of motion.
If you had chosen a different Start point, I don't think it would have fizzled as quickly

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-08 23:02:02

Anatomy's overrated, draw something interesting instead.

mytwocents

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-09 07:21:13

I know the topic of working for free is something that comes up often 'round here, thanks to all the request threads. But there's something....I don't even know what to call it. Just see for yourselves.

Paying to work for free, found via CGTalk.

"30% of the workforce at our digital studio down in Florida, is not only going to be free, with student labor, its going to be labor thatâEUTMs actually paying us for the priviledge of working on our films."

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-09 07:38:57

At 4/9/12 07:21 AM, Re2deemer wrote: I know the topic of working for free is something that comes up often 'round here, thanks to all the request threads. But there's something....I don't even know what to call it. Just see for yourselves.

Paying to work for free, found via CGTalk.

"30% of the workforce at our digital studio down in Florida, is not only going to be free, with student labor, its going to be labor thatâEUTMs actually paying us for the priviledge of working on our films."

I skimmed, but wouldn't this be the same principle as paying to go to a university? It's all experience so presumably if what ever they're involved in has some sort of respectable status in the industry I would think writing down that you worked here on your resume is the same as saying you went to a university course for however long.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-09 08:16:57

At 4/9/12 07:38 AM, Kuoke wrote: I skimmed, but wouldn't this be the same principle as paying to go to a university? It's all experience so presumably if what ever they're involved in has some sort of respectable status in the industry I would think writing down that you worked here on your resume is the same as saying you went to a university course for however long.

I think it's more the equivalent of saying "I'm a chump who'll pay my way into slave labour. Working for nothing is a step up from my last job. Don't pay me anything."

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-09 08:31:23

At 4/9/12 08:16 AM, Aigis wrote:
At 4/9/12 07:38 AM, Kuoke wrote: I skimmed, but wouldn't this be the same principle as paying to go to a university? It's all experience so presumably if what ever they're involved in has some sort of respectable status in the industry I would think writing down that you worked here on your resume is the same as saying you went to a university course for however long.
I think it's more the equivalent of saying "I'm a chump who'll pay my way into slave labour. Working for nothing is a step up from my last job. Don't pay me anything."

I would say the same thing to people who pay for an education. At least with this one [assuming they're a legitimate thing] you're getting actual work experience.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-04-09 08:55:51

At 4/9/12 08:31 AM, Kuoke wrote: I would say the same thing to people who pay for an education. At least with this one [assuming they're a legitimate thing] you're getting actual work experience.

At least with education you're actually getting, um, an education.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature