00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LickleLuki just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Commercial Use?

791 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Commercial Use? 2008-01-06 13:54:44

Someone Pmed me to ask if they could use one of my songs in a commercial game. The thing is, what they mean by commercial is to be sponsored by someone. Like Maxgames or something.

But some of my samples might be copywrighted even though they were royalty free. Is it ok if they use the song?

Im so unsure :l

BBS Signature

Response to Commercial Use? 2008-01-06 13:57:21

At 1/6/08 01:54 PM, Sp1r1T wrote: But some of my samples might be copywrighted even though they were royalty free. Is it ok if they use the song?

Royalty-free = you don't have to pay them if you use it in a song. So don't worry about it.
If he's gonna get money for the game, however, you should get a bit. Your songs are licensed as "non-commercial", meaning that if they use it in a commercial setting, they should make specific arrangements with you. Ask for some money. :)

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Commercial Use? 2008-01-06 14:01:02

Royalty-free = you don't have to pay them if you use it in a song. So don't worry about it.
If he's gonna get money for the game, however, you should get a bit. Your songs are licensed as "non-commercial", meaning that if they use it in a commercial setting, they should make specific arrangements with you. Ask for some money. :)

Ok, but I want to do it for free :P

Also, the "Royalt free" site said some might be copywrighted...

BBS Signature

Response to Commercial Use? 2008-01-06 14:03:11

At 1/6/08 02:01 PM, Sp1r1T wrote: Ok, but I want to do it for free :P

Why? Get some money, man. Don't be afraid to put a price on your work. Otherwise, people will take advantage of it.

Explain, please.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Commercial Use? 2008-01-06 14:07:15

Explain, please.

You know break-beat paradise?
On some of the packs it says on it "This might be copywrighted"

BBS Signature

Response to Commercial Use? 2008-01-06 14:09:08

At 1/6/08 02:07 PM, Sp1r1T wrote:
Explain, please.
You know break-beat paradise?
On some of the packs it says on it "This might be copywrighted"

(there's no 'w' in copyright, btw)
You should just double check, then. Do they have forums? Ask around - I'm not sure of their policy.

BBS Signature

Response to Commercial Use? 2008-01-06 14:32:05

Wtf? that can't be right...doesn't that mean they COULD be stealing the samples they put on the site?:O

yep. but lame eh?

BBS Signature

Response to Commercial Use? 2008-01-06 14:37:15

alright. The samples I used were ok I think. From sampleswap.org and the free sounds part of vengeance-sound.com

BBS Signature

Response to Commercial Use? 2008-01-06 18:23:33

although, if breakbeat-paradise claims them to be royalty-free.. and I got the samples there...

I'd just point the finger at them if someone came after me for using something from the site.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to Commercial Use? 2008-01-06 18:41:40

At 1/6/08 02:37 PM, Sp1r1T wrote: alright. The samples I used were ok I think. From sampleswap.org and the free sounds part of vengeance-sound.com

well then since the samples a royalty free, the mix is yours by right, you should charge for it.