00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Orlek-sketch supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dynamically Loading ImagesHey guys!

1,252 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey guys! I had a quick question, hopefully it's alot easier answered than explained...so here I go.

Working on a project and basically, we want the end-user to be able to upload a .jpeg, .gif, etc. and then we need the image to be passed into Flash so we can present it in several different ways (for example, if we were asking the user to upload a picture of their face...so that we can present them a flash .swf with their face projected on a billboard). The flash and the image upload don't have to be two seperate entities if it makes the process any easier (if you think using an image upload form in flash, using that FileReference I've been hearing about)...

I hope this explanation is enough, and I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance for reading and pondering!

Response to Dynamically Loading ImagesHey guys! 2007-12-17 15:51:02

Use PHP or whatever other server-side scripting you have available. Flash is purely client-side. From Flash you can load a file using MovieClip.loadMovie.

Hire someone at the Programming forum to create the upload interface for you if you need to.

BBS Signature

Response to Dynamically Loading ImagesHey guys! 2007-12-17 16:07:01

At 12/17/07 03:51 PM, GustTheASGuy wrote: Use PHP or whatever other server-side scripting you have available. Flash is purely client-side. From Flash you can load a file using MovieClip.loadMovie.

Hire someone at the Programming forum to create the upload interface for you if you need to.

Appreciate the quick response! That makes sense, curious as to after the upload of the image...passing the variable into flash using MovieClip.loadMovie. Since the upload won't be inquiring a username, just wanted the upload to be somewhat temporary...pass the variable a new page with the flash movie.

I'm slowly seeing this is more of a Programming project, than of Flash?

Response to Dynamically Loading ImagesHey guys! 2007-12-18 08:44:35

Well if you don't want the file to be on the server you don't have to upload it. Is a waste of bandwidth. I'm not sure how to load stuff from the computer locally though. You can't use FileReference for that either (because it doesn't provide the full path to the file for security purposes or something).

BBS Signature

Response to Dynamically Loading ImagesHey guys! 2007-12-18 09:09:11

Check this out.

BBS Signature

Response to Dynamically Loading ImagesHey guys! 2007-12-18 09:29:26

I've seen this recently on this website:

http://www.knockoffornot.com/pelt/
What that does is uploads the image using the FileReference class, then the php (or asp annoyingly enough in this case, don't get me started) moves the uploaded image to a folder where it is then read in by the flash, this particular flash then deletes it afterwards as it isnt needed anymore. It can them be resized and moved and is saved with bitmap data.

Hurray.

Did this help? Ask a more specific question if you're having difficulty

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com