00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CleanCosmos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is it true 2003-08-16 23:55:25

Is it true that when some one looks in your profile your popularity goes up :)

Is it true

Response to Is it true 2003-08-17 00:34:13

Yes.

I do not know the exact mathematical formula on how many views raise your ranking, however.

I'd imagine it's compared to other users but set within a short time frame not accounting for past popularity, since those with high popularity can fall down fast.

Chances are someone else here has figured exactly how it works.

Response to Is it true 2003-08-17 12:05:38

At 8/17/03 12:34 AM, Impetus wrote: I'd imagine it's compared to other users but set within a short time frame not accounting for past popularity, since those with high popularity can fall down fast.

Yea, popularity is calculated every day shortly after midnight so its basically how many views a profile gets in the past day or so. If it was based on views since your account started, then people with high levels and early sign up dates would obviously be on top but that doesn't seem to be the case all the time.

Response to Is it true 2003-08-18 05:50:50

At 8/17/03 12:05 PM, zqcebtmulo wrote:

:If it was based on views since your account started, then people with high levels and early sign up dates would obviously be on top but that doesn't seem to be the case all the time.

Thats never the case I mean if your pop can drop as well as going up then that system seems to never come into play.
Now that we know what time our pop gets updated do we know what percentage does per veiw?

Response to Is it true 2003-08-18 05:59:25

At 8/18/03 05:50 AM, the_phantom_spancker wrote:
At 8/17/03 12:05 PM, zqcebtmulo wrote: If it was based on views since your account started, then people with high levels and early sign up dates would obviously be on top but that doesn't seem to be the case all the time.
Thats never the case I mean if your pop can drop as well as going up then that system seems to never come into play.
Now that we know what time our pop gets updated do we know what percentage does per veiw?

Percent no? Popularity has also been getting recalculated twice. It used to just be 5:35am GMT. No it does it then as well as the recalc time for the XP and BP ranks. It's likely the early one will get deleted soon.

The other point to remember about popularity is that it's based on one "vote" per IP address in a given time frame. When you pull up your own profile, that's a "vote." If you keep pulling it up, just that first time counts, not the rest.

Response to Is it true 2003-08-18 06:07:23

No what I was talking about is how much does it go up by when your profile is veiwed.
You seem to know alot about the popularity times and stuff Dogma do you by any chance know the amount of it goes up by when your profile veiwed as well?

Response to Is it true 2003-08-18 06:17:48

It goes up by one vote when it's a new view. If it zeroes out every day, or if it is a cumulative stat, is not something I know. I'm confident that there's at least some carry-over to subsequent days, otherwise we'd see some rather severe fluctuations in Popularity Rank. When I go away for a few days I only drop like 50. If it zeroed every day, I should drop 1k or more.

Thinking about it in percentages is not the way to go about it. The 100th view of your profile is worth 1.01%, the 200th is .503%, etc. If you are trying to think of it in percents, it's only comparing to the total previous views. That value changes with each following new view ... it makes for a very interesting graph, but that's about it.

Response to Is it true 2003-08-18 17:36:11

At 8/16/03 11:55 PM, Sea_Monkey wrote: Is it true that when some one looks in your profile your popularity goes up :)

I don't know. Click on my profile and find out. :-)

NOTE: I wouldn't really be posting stuff like this, but my popularity has really dropped by a lot...