00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LilyUnleashed just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Golden Compass: Anti-christian?

2,459 Views | 30 Replies

Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 05:32:13

http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/
compass.asp

"There will be a new children's movie out in December called "The Golden Compass". The movie has been described as "atheism for kids" and is based on the first book of a trilogy entitled "His Dark Materials" that was written by Phillip Pullman. Pullman is a militant atheist and secular humanist who despises C. S. Lewis and the "Chronicles of Narnia". His motivation for writing this trilogy was specifically to counteract Lewis' symbolisms of Christ that are portrayed in the Narnia series.

Clearly, Pullman's main objective is to bash Christianity and promote atheism. Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a 2003 interview that "my books are about killing God." He has even stated that he wants to "kill God in the minds of children". It has been said of Pullman that he is "the writer the atheists would be praying for, if atheists prayed."

While "The Golden Compass" movie itself may seem mild and innocent, the books are a much different story. In the trilogy, a young streetwise girl becomes enmeshed in an epic struggle to ultimately defeat the oppressive forces of a senile God. Another character, an ex-nun, describes Christianity as "a very powerful and convincing mistake." In the final book, characters representing Adam and Eve eventually kill God, who at times is called YAHWEH. Each book in the trilogy gets progressively worse regarding Pullman's hatred of Jesus Christ.

"The Golden Compass" is set to premier on December 7, during the Christmas season (and staring Nicole Kidman), and will probably be heavily advertised. Promoters hope that unsuspecting parents will take their children to see the movie, that they will enjoy the movie, and that the children will want the books for Christmas.

Please consider a boycott of the movie and the books. Also, pass this information along to everyone you know (including church leaders). This will help to educate parents, so that they will know the agenda of the movie."

Got this in an email.. somehow.

Discuss.

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 05:35:11

At 11/8/07 05:33 AM, FBIpolux wrote: This book came out like 10 years ago, wake up.

And I have time to read.

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 05:35:44

"His Dark Materials" is probably the greatest series of books I've ever read. Who cares if it has anti-religious themes?

Boycotting books. Un-fucking-believable. Probably the same people who were upset with "Harry Potter" because it involved witchcraft.

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 05:37:31

The humans wage war on God and find out that God is a doppelganger who may have never existed.

Yes it's anti-Christian.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 05:37:54

I give up.

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 05:42:16

There is to a God!!

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 05:45:07

I've heard so much about the book series, and for some reason I have yet to read them.

Maybe with a jogged memory of the series with the movie coming out, I'll find a place to buy the first book and see if I like it.

It seems like an interesting concept to me.

Jason Becker, will of steel. | Django Reinhardt, the greatest.

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 05:52:59

At 11/8/07 05:32 AM, McJesus wrote: Please consider a boycott of the movie and the books. Also, pass this information along to everyone you know (including church leaders). This will help to educate parents, so that they will know the agenda of the movie."

It's just the usual double standards really. Perhaps they should organize a book burning as well just to set the right example for their kids. Idiotic extremists.

At 11/8/07 05:33 AM, FBIpolux wrote: This book came out like 10 years ago, wake up.

Stop being such a douchebag, FBIpolux. The movie isn't even out yet. You seem to have massive amounts of trouble using your brain before you post.

FIXPLZ.

BBS Mod. PM with queries and complaints if you must.

LazyTV | Stuff White People Like

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 06:03:51

At 11/8/07 06:00 AM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote: Christianity is what Star Wars will be in 1000 years.

Elaborate.

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 06:28:53

Oh look, and offensive dipshit atheist who goes around arguing with any religious person and trying to turn them, how new... Unfortunately, he has a book and a movie so i hope he chokes and dies on something like the filthy militant pig he is.

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 06:35:49

Its fun how they make him into some kind of comic-book villain.

"The most dangerous author in Brittain"? Wow.

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 06:41:19

At 11/8/07 06:36 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: He's a fucking idiot, Lewis did not put Christianity into his childrens' books and was outraged about such accusations.

So, the parts where Aslan is referred to as the Messiah and in one of the books, where Narnia is created, the protagonists meet Adam and Eve, he was just happenned to pick those words?

Anyway, the guy is anti-religious, not just Anti-christianity (McJesus managed to ommit the slightly islamo-phobic slur about the gods name when cooking this delicious copypasta). Reading that article, i might actually go see that film, could be interesting, really.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 06:41:29

I'm so seeing that movie.

There is a war going on in you're mind. People and ideas all competing for you're thoughts. And if you're thinking, you're winning.

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 06:41:29

At 11/8/07 06:36 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: He's a fucking idiot, Lewis did not put Christianity into his childrens' books and was outraged about such accusations.

I don't even see what the big deal is... I watched Cronicles of Narnia for a while before i got bored(shitty movie) and i failed to notice all of the scary Christian and religion promoting themes.

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 06:42:50

At 11/8/07 05:32 AM, McJesus wrote: http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/
compass.asp

You dind't read past the email part, did you?

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 06:43:57

At 11/8/07 06:41 AM, JohnnyWang wrote:
Anyway, the guy is anti-religious, not just Anti-christianity (McJesus managed to ommit the slightly islamo-phobic slur about the gods name when cooking this delicious copypasta).

Woah, my bad.

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 07:06:48

At 11/8/07 05:32 AM, McJesus wrote: Please consider a boycott of the movie and the books.

But the movie has Daniel Craig in it and everyone knows he is god.

PM me if you think I'm a dickhead.

3 people think I'm a dickhead :3

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 07:16:17

At 11/8/07 06:42 AM, JohnnyWang wrote:
At 11/8/07 05:32 AM, McJesus wrote: http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/
compass.asp
You dind't read past the email part, did you?

Most likely.

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 07:20:39

At 11/8/07 05:42 AM, masterguy-1243 wrote: There is to a God!!

[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/
s273/terrorpenguin/matrix_spoon.gif
[/IMG ]

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 07:24:38

Will definitely go see this movie.

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 07:27:42

At 11/8/07 07:24 AM, urbn wrote: Will definitely go see this movie.

Thanks for your input.

I like to think you made a difference today.

Let's reflect.

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 07:34:07

I didn't like the Chronicles of Narnia that much but this work in comparison seems utterly pointless. I mean, what self respecting atheist will lower himself to a point where he starts to mix it up with others concerning the promotion of his beliefs?

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 07:37:19

At 11/8/07 07:26 AM, BlueFlameSkulls wrote: Stuff

This is most definitely possible.

At 11/8/07 07:27 AM, McJesus wrote: Other stuff, obvious sarcasm

Thanks, I like to think so too.

But seriously, anything that bashes the church is good in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 07:39:27

At 11/8/07 07:37 AM, urbn wrote: But seriously, anything that bashes the church is good in my opinion.

How on earth does insulting solve anything?

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 08:47:05

Lol, the Chronicles of Narnia DID have a Christian thing over it all. Stop saying that it didn't have it just because you were unable to see it, it's stupid. Just as putting your hands over your eyes doesn't actually take away what stands in front of you.

I mean, the chololate eating kid had betrayed his friends for chocolate, and the lion dude had to sacrificed himself to free the kid from the ice bitch. He died for the kids sins. No connections yet? Oh, let's not forget he ressurected. lol.

How can anybody NOT see that the:
Lion = Jesus
Ice witch = The Devil
The kid = Humanity

But, who cares? It's just a movie. And it has a moral that is the same as Christianity. So what? Kids didn't get converted by the morals of the Lion King. Why should a movie suddently have such a large effects JUST because the morals of the story matches with a religion?

Same for the golden compass. It's just a fucking movie. If you can't handle that something exists with a viewpoint that doesn't match up with yours, then you need to isolate themselves from society, because society is full of diffrent opinions. If you are afraid of a movie affecting your kid, then you must be scared shitless from letting your kid talk to friends. I mean, I'm pretty sure they have a larger impact than some random movie.

http://drakim.net - My exploits for those interested

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 08:50:24

I'll probably go and just be entertained. You'd have to be pretty susceptible to change if a movie can change your religion.

I'm gonna go back to my room and be awesome.

Desert Punk of the NG /A/|My VA Demo Reel|Audio Portal|

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 08:56:28

hehe what a load of shit. It is fantasy, these people need to grow up.

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 09:01:59

At 11/8/07 08:53 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote:
At 11/8/07 08:47 AM, Drakim wrote: Stop saying that it didn't have it just because you were unable to see it, it's stupid.
You are like one of these morons who reads Dracula and then exams it as a parabale of whataver political or socialogical point of views they happen to have.

Hah, not really. You see, read this.

Christians were really talking about using it as a tool of conversion. I mean, how much more does it need to be? Even a child could figure out the symbolism, and Christians openly say that it's great for introducing children to the concept of Christianity. Or do you think the words "CONVERT OR BURN" must be written across the screen before you agree that it has a Christian message?

http://drakim.net - My exploits for those interested

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 09:04:27

Well, I appear to have started a postage road wreck, which means it's time for me to go to bed. Night.

Response to Golden Compass: Anti-christian? 2007-11-08 09:08:44

It doesn't seem ike such a big deal, unless the kids go buy the books.

Seriously though, a lot of you are saying it's not a big deal, etc, but it really is. I'm faithful, and I think a kid's movie promoting Atheism is bad. Kid's will believe anything they see. I'm past that age, but we can't act like this won't lead to trouble. Even you non-religious people should know that religious conflict leads to useless problems and even WAR.

Then again, the movie could be piece of shit.

BBS Signature