00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Last.Fm Club

517,728 Views | 9,303 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-08-31 00:01:24

At 8/30/16 10:47 PM, argile wrote: Good thing i've got enough albums saved to not run out of material for making new ones anytime soon

Very nice. I will have to get more albums the next chance I get.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-09-03 16:41:18 (edited 2016-09-03 16:43:26)

At 8/31/16 12:01 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 8/30/16 10:47 PM, argile wrote: Good thing i've got enough albums saved to not run out of material for making new ones anytime soon
Very nice. I will have to get more albums the next chance I get.

I do rather enjoy guessing what a album entails just by looking at the track listing ,it's kind of interesting to see how they would pull off the ideas and themes going to it.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-09-03 18:52:34

At 9/3/16 04:41 PM, argile wrote: I do rather enjoy guessing what a album entails just by looking at the track listing ,it's kind of interesting to see how they would pull off the ideas and themes going to it.

I find that an album is just like a book, you can not judge it by its cover.

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-09-13 20:55:04 (edited 2016-09-13 20:56:01)

At 9/3/16 06:52 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 9/3/16 04:41 PM, argile wrote: I do rather enjoy guessing what a album entails just by looking at the track listing ,it's kind of interesting to see how they would pull off the ideas and themes going to it.
I find that an album is just like a book, you can not judge it by its cover.

It's rather rewarding in a way, i've apparently reached the limit to save albums on spotify.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-09-13 23:30:53

At 9/13/16 08:55 PM, argile wrote: It's rather rewarding in a way, i've apparently reached the limit to save albums on spotify.

Now that you have hot the limit, due you think you have enough? Do you still want more?

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-09-14 14:53:47

At 9/13/16 11:30 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 9/13/16 08:55 PM, argile wrote: It's rather rewarding in a way, i've apparently reached the limit to save albums on spotify.
Now that you have hot the limit, due you think you have enough? Do you still want more?

I'm going to start from scratch and start all over again since my interests never really stay the same.as for my recommendations i'll be adding them directly to playlists since the amount can be nearly limitless to how much can be created

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-09-14 21:25:24

finally going to see swans tomorrow, they cancelled the show i was going to a year ago so this will make up for lost time

haven't found the time to listen to the glowing man yet though

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-09-15 02:15:01

At 9/14/16 02:53 PM, argile wrote: I'm going to start from scratch and start all over again since my interests never really stay the same.as for my recommendations i'll be adding them directly to playlists since the amount can be nearly limitless to how much can be created

That is not a bad idea. You can have fun picking your favorites all over again.

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-09-26 07:15:39 (edited 2016-09-26 07:19:42)

Hit this a while ago too, really annoying. There is absolutely no reason this limitation should exist. Doesn't help that their "Epic collection, friend!" message is super fucking smarmy and condescending. One more reason to dislike spotify.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-09-26 15:10:48

At 9/26/16 07:15 AM, Jackho wrote: Hit this a while ago too, really annoying. There is absolutely no reason this limitation should exist. Doesn't help that their "Epic collection, friend!" message is super fucking smarmy and condescending. One more reason to dislike spotify.

It happens to all of us, and that message is the worst.

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-09-27 15:28:02

At 9/15/16 02:15 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 9/14/16 02:53 PM, argile wrote: I'm going to start from scratch and start all over again since my interests never really stay the same.as for my recommendations i'll be adding them directly to playlists since the amount can be nearly limitless to how much can be created
That is not a bad idea. You can have fun picking your favorites all over again.

That should not be a problem ,There shall be more quality control when comes down to saving albums not only in replayability but also accounting in good to bad ratio of the tracks in them.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-10-16 15:30:51

Dunno where else to post this, but I got to see Death Grips live on thursday. Show was immense. Crowd was insane, so much energy - everyone fully invested in the band and waiting for months if not years for this. Everyone screaming the lyrics. They elongated some of the hooks and heaviest bits of the songs but just medley'd into each successive track without pausing for a second. Everyone had to have been getting exhausted toward the end of each track, then the next one fires up and all the energy and intensity comes back again in full force.

The image of Ride's silhouette looming over the crowd when he finally showed up on stage is burned into my mind now. The anticipation was immense. No talk, no fanfare, they just walk on and immediately tear into it. The pit went from zero to sixty fucking instantly.

The amount of fucking sweat was unreal, people had their shirts completely soaked through. They went for easily over an hour and a half, hitting several songs from each album, going HAM the whole way through, around 25 songs total. I don't know how they keep it up. Maximum intensity all the way through.

After one last scream on The Fever he just drops the mic and they all walk away, gone just as abruptly as it started. Such a great show. If they ever come back I'll be even more hyped.

Also, Spikes. Been listening to this one on repeat for like a week now.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-10-16 15:36:31

Dunno where else to post this, but I got to see Death Grips live on thursday. Show was immense. Crowd was insane, so much energy - everyone fully invested in the band and waiting for months if not years for this. Everyone screaming the lyrics. They elongated some of the hooks and heaviest bits of the songs but just medley'd into each successive track without pausing for a second. Everyone had to have been getting exhausted toward the end of each track, then the next one fires up and all the energy and intensity comes back again in full force.

The image of Ride's silhouette looming over the crowd when he finally showed up on stage is burned into my mind now. The anticipation was immense. No talk, no fanfare, they just walk on and immediately tear into it. The pit went from zero to sixty fucking instantly.

The amount of fucking sweat was unreal, people had their shirts completely soaked through. They went for easily over an hour and a half, hitting several songs from each album, going HAM the whole way through, around 25 songs total. I don't know how they keep it up. Maximum intensity all the way through.

After one last scream on The Fever he just drops the mic and they all walk away, gone just as abruptly as it started. Such a great show. If they ever come back I'll be even more hyped.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-10-17 12:01:39

At 10/16/16 03:30 PM, Jackho wrote: I got to see Death Grips live on thursday. Show was immense. Crowd was insane, so much energy - everyone fully invested in the band and waiting for months if not years for this. Everyone screaming the lyrics. Everyone had to have been getting exhausted toward the end of each track, then the next one fires up and all the energy and intensity comes back again in full force.

Sounds like a great performance. Live shows are the best when you can feel the band's energy and the crowd's feeding off each other.

You must really enjoy it to keep it on repeat.

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-11-15 16:06:59

18 carat affair's "60/40" album was good ,the only sample that I recognized off it though was one of the stage music used for Streets of Rage 2

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-11-15 22:27:00

At 11/15/16 04:06 PM, argile wrote: 18 carat affair's "60/40" album was good ,the only sample that I recognized off it though was one of the stage music used for Streets of Rage 2

Video game music meets Last.FM, a good combination. Nice choice with David Bowie.

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-11-22 14:59:45

Beaver & Krause are a pretty great duo,Even though there's only have like 1 album on spotify .It was a good diamond that was ahead of it's time.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2016-11-22 16:25:00

At 11/22/16 02:59 PM, argile wrote: Beaver & Krause are a pretty great duo,Even though there's only have like 1 album on spotify .It was a good diamond that was ahead of it's time.

I was not aware of them, until you mentioned that album. Will have to check it out?

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-01-03 00:10:43

At 1/2/17 02:42 PM, goofried wrote: how was it? i'm seeing them in May with Thurston Moore

fucking fantastic. definitely the loudest live show i've been to in terms of dynamics. for a majority of the set, you could hear everyone pretty clearly, especially if you're up front and center. two funny moments happened when they had to change a blown-out amp after the first song and while they were fixing it, michael gira turns to the audience and says, "i have no jokes tonight, sorry." 10 seconds later he smiles, turns to the audience again, and says, "oh wait, i have one. whenever we go to use the commode, we should all say, excuse me, i'm going to go feed donald..." and then he stopped and everyone laughed, knowing exactly who he was referring to.

later on during a long build-up, someone up front took out their phone and start video recording. gira had his eyes closed but opened them immediately, yelled at the guy, and thrust out his hand, ordering him to hand over the phone. we couldn't hear him amidst all the guitars but we could clearly see his mouth. the guy didn't hand him his phone and gira yelled, "GO BACK" and he moved to the back of the room, hanging his head in shame.

later on, i got a copy of the glowing man signed by him at the merch booth and fangirled out, saying thanks for the music, and how much his work had been a huge inspiration in my life. he just looked at me nervously and said, "oh, thank you"

i'm in the same boat with that release

i listened to it 2 weeks ago on a plane trip and it's certainly the more calm album they've released since the revision. it sort of recalls pieces of WLFTMOI, while still keeping the elongated structures and heavier build-ups. it's just that those moments, along with the lyrics, have more direct religious overtones throughout the album. it's hard to want to go back to, knowing it might be the final album of the revised band, but it's a hell of a note to end off on.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-01-03 09:52:16

At 1/3/17 12:10 AM, Natick wrote: whenever we go to use the commode, we should all say, excuse me, i'm going to go feed donald..."

gira had his eyes closed but opened them immediately, yelled at the guy, and thrust out his hand, ordering him to hand over the phone.

Man, what a dick. I'd love to see that guy's footage though, if his trembling fingers still managed to get any.

it's certainly the more calm album they've released since the revision.

Swans really aren't my thing from what I've listened to (To Be Kind, some of The Seer, some of the older stuff) but I might try the new one if it's like you described. The length alone is enough to put me off though.

Anyone actually used last.fm in the last century?

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-01-03 18:44:26

At 1/3/17 09:52 AM, Jackho wrote: Man, what a dick. I'd love to see that guy's footage though, if his trembling fingers still managed to get any.

can't find a video anywhere of the performance, which is probably for the best, being as it was a small crowded concert hall

Swans really aren't my thing from what I've listened to (To Be Kind, some of The Seer, some of the older stuff) but I might try the new one if it's like you described. The length alone is enough to put me off though.

the great annihilator is the most accessible album, although it sounds a little dated

Anyone actually used last.fm in the last century?

nope. been listening to a lot of scott walker and autechre lately

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-01-05 01:59:40

At 1/3/17 10:13 AM, goofried wrote: been on and off for the past few years, rejoined last year since the recs have always been pretty solid and keeping up with live shows is easier

Last.Fm is still a great place to be. It still works well.

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-01-23 22:18:47

Isis is a great band.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-01-24 14:20:06

At 1/23/17 10:18 PM, argile wrote: Isis is a great band.

Which song is your favorite?

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-01-24 15:10:22 (edited 2017-01-24 15:11:05)

At 1/24/17 02:20 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

I don't think i've got a favorite song but I would recommend the following studio albums
Temporal
Oceanic
In the Absence of Truth
Panopticon
Wavering Radiant

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-01-25 00:05:56

At 1/24/17 03:10 PM, argile wrote:
At 1/24/17 02:20 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
I don't think i've got a favorite song but I would recommend the following studio albums
Temporal
Oceanic
In the Absence of Truth
Panopticon
Wavering Radiant

I will have to check them all out.

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-02-08 00:39:23

Haven't found any notable albums yet this year but Big Sean was pretty good.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-02-10 17:45:22

At 2/8/17 12:39 AM, argile wrote: Haven't found any notable albums yet this year but Big Sean was pretty good.

Keep looking and something good will pop up.

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-02-12 11:01:56

I'm going to use this thread as a general "musical listening habits" thread since that's always been its primary function for me anyway. The website is secondary to the subject matter in my opinion.

Lately I've been getting really into R&B and Soul, specifically the sorta squeaky clean '70s and '80s stuff. Those sharp guitars, swelling strings, and carrying bass really gets me going these days. There just seems to be an endless supply of this stuff too, they were really churning it out. I'm having no problem finding more obscure artists in my digging, unlike my bossa nova digging where I hit a language barrier with my exploration and haven't found anything worth saving in weeks. Can't seem to find any publishing on that genre in English that isn't about Stan Getz or the people he played with.

This is also going to be a recommendation request post. If you have anything you like in either of these (very separate) genres/scenes, shoot it my way. Pic below are my current favs of the "essential" R&B/soul stuff, current goal is to find smaller artists and get a more full understanding of the style.

Or just rec me something completely unrelated, I'm not picky.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2017-02-13 15:57:35

At 2/12/17 11:01 AM, Oolaph wrote: This is also going to be a recommendation request post. If you have anything you like in either of these (very separate) genres/scenes, shoot it my way. Pic below are my current favs of the "essential" R&B/soul stuff, current goal is to find smaller artists and get a more full understanding of the style.

Curtis Mayfield tho.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature