00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs.

2,630 Views | 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi, basically I got a lot more time over from work then I thought , until' august 21st.. School starts then.

Anyways, I thought I'd share some of my walkthroughs and tutorials with you. I will keep filling
this thread with progression shots from my stuff.. I hope you'll enjoy!

I buy another host next week.. Right now freewebs will do it. :) .

The tutorial can be seen here.

.Tutorial.1.

The result of the walkthrough was this. *see below*

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-16 16:12:51

RĂ¥bra!

I was actually wondering the other day how to make contsept-scenes like that..

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-16 16:31:46

That looks like an outer edge wall of the citadel from half-life 2

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-16 16:42:34

Nice tut, but you should add some <br> tags to your html so that the text and images don't get all jumbled. Just put on at the end of each line.

Breast Cancer Awareness month is over...stop squeezing random boobies. :(

BBS Signature

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-16 18:03:41

Thanks for the great feedback.

haha those br tags, yah I realized but it took ages just to load the edit page, so i figured you'd survive.

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-16 19:37:14

Awesome thanks! I don't think I've tried using transform to aid with perspective... nice technique.

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-16 23:17:13

YES another helpful tutorial from dile lol i think ill start adding backgrounds also to my "trying something new" thread :P

Why do i try to be nice?

BBS Signature

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-17 18:00:02

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info! I'll give you more when I have time.

Thanks everyone!

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-17 22:37:12

That was great! I really appreciate you doing these kind of tutorials, as it is exactly what I want to do. If anything, could you go into *gulp* more detail? I don't know, maybe the brushes, opacities, etc. Little stuff like that. Not to make this one look bad, it was brilliant!
Keep it up.

Currently listening to:Feeling Good -Eels

||Buy Some Sweet Shirts, k?||

||USERPAGE||

BBS Signature

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-17 23:03:12

i will never accept a tutorial. i learn from trial and error :3

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-19 10:25:19

Hey dile thanks again for this. i tried to do the graph thing but i couldnt quite get it. but either way i tried and i really suck at BGs so im gunna post it and i wanna no what i could do to make it alot better

Why do i try to be nice?

BBS Signature

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-19 11:08:52

At 8/16/07 04:03 PM, Dile wrote: .Tutorial.1.

Well, there's a few things that I'd still like to know. When you're doing your art, what program do you use? Also, what kind of brushes do you use and do you always use 100% opacity?

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-19 13:06:56

dile i was wondering if you had any good colouring tutorials or if you knew where they would be.....since your trying to make the art thread a much beautiful place i guess i might as well try eh?....so yeah if you can link some up that would be great man

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-19 13:37:00

At 8/17/07 11:03 PM, crazerfish50 wrote: i will never accept a tutorial. i learn from trial and error :3

enroll yourself in a life drawing class at the very least >:|

View my Deviantart

BBS Signature

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-19 13:49:26

what program are you using?

Lordadon is your Lord

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-19 14:45:21

sweet!
i just made some concept art.
this tut rocks!

Lordadon is your Lord

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-19 15:16:00

Dile, you made me make my first ever picture in the GIMP. It's very bad and not really similar to yours but I'm posting it anyway.

Had problem with cropping the bg layer so it's white on the sides.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-19 16:22:29

Wow, I'm away for a few hours, and when I get back theres so much great feedback and participation, i'm thankful!

Some questions right ?

Software
It doesn't really matter, the last post in this thread was apparently made with GIMP, but I used Photoshop.

Brush ?
- A normal round set to Opacity and Size to pen pressure ( wacom or functional tablet is a must have to do this )

- A square chalk'ish brush with no presets at all. Just for texture.

SmilingIdiot-

Thats tricky , because to paint with colors you should have general knowledge of what something looks like. ( Anyone have that, from your 9 months old and a head ) To do something good with colors
you must go into color theory. While people tend to say snow is "White" that the sea is "Blue" and that the grass is "Green" This is not always true.
- Snow is almost yellow in light, and blue/purple in shadow.
- Grass can take a blue shade in shadow. NOT BLACK.Shadow is never black.
- The sea is almsot never Blue, its a heavy generalization. Many people smack on a " blue" color
and it will look ok'ish because we "know" that sea is blue. The color is a mix between blue and green, its also heavily depending on setting. "White" makes a huge difference in the sea color as well.

Its kinda hard to go through color theory over "one" post. I have another thread ( In my signature ) And I think its the first linked Site from that topic, that explains a lot about mood and color. To learn color theory, you should probably just grab a book on it, take what you need from it, leave the rest for observation. Life drawing is really important ( not nudes, but Life ) When I started
painting shadows to me were BLACK and Light where WHITE. A lot of what I know I've learnt through studies and observation.

If you ever want critique or tips on pieces you are in progress with, Just feel free to shout me a PM.
Colors are hard, and I'm not in any way saying i know them.. But I know how to hint em' ; )

@extraTim: I promise to do that for the next tut/walkthrough, thanks for the feedback.

@DarkEclipse50: Cool, thanks for participating, but don't use "White" or "Black" to blend with ;)

@Crazerfish. Yeah thats what i'm been doing myself. I'm offering those walkthroughs because many people on here think that "Flash" and the Brush tool is the success to making a great manga or anime drawing. People are underestimating the basics of art. Skipping them due to the lack of knowledge through art. All I'm doing is to hint people through the right direction.

@LordAdon : Thanks for the feedback.

@idiot-monarch : Great! You don't need to worry about similairites. Just do what fits you and what keeps you going.!

Thanks everyone for looking/commenting and participating, I'm really happy you decided to do so.

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-19 16:25:00

i made this with photoshop, is it good?

Lordadon is your Lord

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-19 18:50:08

Hmm i didnt use black or white tho in my drawing. what do mean exactally?

Why do i try to be nice?

BBS Signature

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-26 13:25:12

Part 2.

I give you another one. This one much more detailed and finished. Still around 1 hour of painting.

1# Rough blocking out. Just scribbled.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x127/
dile1482/Untitled-1.jpg

2# Blocking in more recognizable shapes. Also establishing depth on a basic level.
dile1482/Untitled-2.jpg

3# Overlaying a green abstract image, I don't like black and white.
dile1482/Untitled-3.jpg

4# Establishing more depth, some shapes, and now I finally got an idea of what this might be.
dile1482/Untitled-4.jpg

5# Refining the idea of some sort of towner.
dile1482/Untitled-5.jpg

6# Flipping back again, working on the composition, and i'm also overlaying a blue and green palette to create more interest and variety.
dile1482/Untitled-6.jpg

7# Switched to Corel Painter. Now blocking in more recognizeable objects. Refining depth and details.
dile1482/Untitled-7.jpg

8# Almost done, adding more light, + refining details.

dile1482/Untitled-8.jpg

And below you can see the finished result :) enjoy.

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-26 13:28:01

At 8/26/07 01:25 PM, Dile wrote: Part 2.

Delicious.

really un-forgivingly awesome.

Deviantcrap - PHOTOGRAPHY??

nothing but stardust

BBS Signature

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-26 13:34:34

You really are amazing. I especially like how it is all done with one color scheme. Thank you for the brush help, I've been getting the same-ish results from others. Very good steps / details on this one, would you mind switching topics and going into some real life things, such as landscapes or cities that exist? Don't get me wrong, I love concept ideas, but maybe I could relate to something I can envision myself.

Currently listening to:Feeling Good -Eels

||Buy Some Sweet Shirts, k?||

||USERPAGE||

BBS Signature

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-26 14:01:48

At 8/26/07 01:34 PM, ExtraTim wrote: You really are amazing. I especially like how it is all done with one color scheme. Thank you for the brush help, I've been getting the same-ish results from others. Very good steps / details on this one, would you mind switching topics and going into some real life things, such as landscapes or cities that exist? Don't get me wrong, I love concept ideas, but maybe I could relate to something I can envision myself.

Thanks a lot tim and tomazza, I will do something people can relate to next time! Sorry for that.

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-08-26 16:16:56

At 8/26/07 02:17 PM, PrinceFlea wrote: Man you should have been making these kinds of tutorials the time the art forum started because these are look really awfully helpful when it comes to like landscapes or just about anything!

hahah, I apologize :P I'm very glad you find my walkthroughs helpful, and that you may or may not pick something good up from them : )

All I want to do, really, is to try to put the focus on the art, not the application. I don't really like ms paint, and right now thats 50% of whats being posted on here. I hope that people realize that MS paint isn't really a digital medium as Corel Painter, or Photoshop. Etc. But more as a tool that Microsoft provides just for the sake of it. Its been there since Microsoft Windows 3.1 I think, its just a tradition. Nothing more then that. There are softwares developed to get the art through. Thos whom mentioned above are great examples. Ms paint is not a great example.

I realize I am confusing now, as I say i want to put the focus on the art, but still rant about mspaint and PS. I'm just saying that switching from MS-paint to PS , is the same as switching from bad to good , for MANY. I am not saying that Photoshop gives you magic powers to paint with.. But its designed to be a Photo management tool, and also a great tool to paint digital with! Therefor a great medium : )

The focus in the ART-Forum now, is sadly pretty much off. I wish it was more about the basics, and less about ms-paint. But I hope, that together with other artist that want this forum well, be able to change the approach and direction on art in here : )

Thanks for looking anyways, and sorry for my rant!

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-09-01 15:07:29

At 8/16/07 04:03 PM, Dile wrote:
.Tutorial.1.

The Perspective is to Zenith, right?
But the guidelines are to Nadir?
Am I right?
'Cause if I am, then your lines are wrong.

Sketchbook_NG_1.0 Also, i'm a dick sometimes, get used to it.

BBS Signature

Response to Dile - Tutorials and Walkthroughs. 2007-09-01 18:03:37

At 9/1/07 03:07 PM, Diphallia wrote:
At 8/16/07 04:03 PM, Dile wrote:
.Tutorial.1.
The Perspective is to Zenith, right?
But the guidelines are to Nadir?
Am I right?
'Cause if I am, then your lines are wrong.

Hehe , the statement above is wrong... But yeah, we figured it out on msn.. And I hope there was no confusion among others... lol.