00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

thelan8 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Official Tablet Thread

19,551 Views | 259 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-24 01:04:06

1. Wait, so in tablets, you see whatever is on your screen will be on the tablet? So it's pretty much a 2nd screen?

2. Do you have all the same effects? Onion skinning? The ink-tool (when I make flashes I use the ink tool, makes the characters look nicer.

3. Is it suggested for stick figures? Or pretty much detailed drawings that you would do on paper?

4. Can you do sprites?

5. Can the pan draw ANYWHERE? or just in areas that allow you to draw?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-24 01:15:30

At 7/24/07 01:04 AM, Awsome-Rific wrote: 1. Wait, so in tablets, you see whatever is on your screen will be on the tablet? So it's pretty much a 2nd screen?

2. Do you have all the same effects? Onion skinning? The ink-tool (when I make flashes I use the ink tool, makes the characters look nicer.

3. Is it suggested for stick figures? Or pretty much detailed drawings that you would do on paper?

4. Can you do sprites?

If you have a Tablet PC or a Cintiq, you are basically drawing on the screen. For most tablets though, you do not see the screen on the tablet. You simply draw on the tablet, and the images appear on screen.

To put it bluntly, the tablet replaces the mouse. You can click with it. You can double click with it, and etc. So yes to question 2 and 4. As for question 3, it is reccomended to improve your drawing, be it sticks or anything else for that matter. For question 5, you can only draw on the main stage in Flash, just like you could with a mouse. You won't be drawing all over the desktop or anything like that.

Like I said, it just replaces the mouse, is all (although you can still use the mouse while the tablets hooked up, of course).

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-24 01:26:17

So it's the best way for detailed flash?

I'm still questioning though,

Since you said you don't see (not completely sure if this is what you said) the screen on the tablet, how can you onion skin if you do not see it?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-24 01:29:41

At 7/24/07 01:26 AM, Awsome-Rific wrote: So it's the best way for detailed flash?

Since you said you don't see (not completely sure if this is what you said) the screen on the tablet, how can you onion skin if you do not see it?

Well, after a while you get used to drawing while not looking at the screen. Once you're used to it, you can just hit the onion skin button and go from there as you normally would.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-24 01:43:57

At 7/24/07 01:29 AM, CrazyChihuahua wrote:
At 7/24/07 01:26 AM, Awsome-Rific wrote: So it's the best way for detailed flash?

Stuff.

I still don't get it XD.

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-24 01:59:33

Just a question... Im considering getting my hands on a tablet.

Is it any different to drawing on paper, does it come out for the better, or for the worse on the tablet?? Because Im a fairly decent artist, on paper, and I want to know if my art style will change too dramatically?

Any tips?

Profile Aspects: Under Construction.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-24 13:11:32

My question still stands, See I want to onion skin but if I can see the screen on the tablet how will I know where to draw!?!?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-24 16:05:21

At 7/24/07 01:11 PM, Awsome-Rific wrote: My question still stands, See I want to onion skin but if I can see the screen on the tablet how will I know where to draw!?!?

Like I said, you get used to it. You can hover the stylus over the tablet and see where the cursor is, so you know where you'll be drawing. For example, I put my tablet on my lap, and look at the screen in front of me while I draw. I never have to look down at the tablet at all.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-25 07:16:46

At 2/25/07 12:58 PM, Master117chief wrote: is TRUST TB-4200 WIRELESS SCROLL TABLET compatible with FLASH?

im pretty shure thats the 1 i have an mine works with flash

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-25 07:20:57

soz for double post but i cant see an edit button anywhere... :S

dose anyone know of any good fbf with tablet tutorials/tips/similar things?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-25 09:44:37

What tablet is the cheapest?
And should i buy it?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-25 12:20:48

*bump*

And should i buy it?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-25 15:10:37

At 7/25/07 02:47 PM, fetusdoctor wrote: Please help!

I'm looking to buy a tablet. A lot of people have said the Graphire4 6x8 is a good choice for the money, but I had a few questions first.

-How easy is it to use the tablet in Flash? I have Flash Pro 8, does that allow me to use the pressure sensitive aspects of the tablet right away, or do I have to buy accessory software for that?

It is pretty easy to use. The first time I opened Flash after installing my tablet, the pressure sensitivity option was available, so it comes right away.

-How much of an improvement does the tablet provide in your art? Is it immediately noticeable or is the improvement rather subtle?

It most likely varies from person to person. It has improved mine a fair bit, but more than that it's made things faster. I can get the same quality stuff I used to get with a mouse, only a lot faster.

-Can the tablet essentially replace your mouse? I.E. Can I click and double click icons on my desktop?

Yes.

-What are some good free, or cheap ($100 or less) software programs for making art with the tablet? I plan on using Flash alot, but I would also like to use the same program or similar as is used in LaserKarl's Art Thread. (I would just pm him and ask what he uses, but according to his BBS posts he hasn't been on in a month.)

Can't help you with that one, as I only use Flash at the moment.

-Is 6x8 pretty good for doing artwork, or am I better off investing in a larger size?

That should be fine. I use a 4x5 and it works well. Some have said they prefer smaller ones because they take up less space, while others prefer the larger ones because of their size, obviously. Again, it's a preference thing for the most part. You might get a better response from someone with a 6x8 though.

-Is any of the bundled software that comes with it any good, or is it mostly old garbage?

Well, I never bothered to install the bundled software, so I'm not sure :P

I feel that I've gotten pretty good at mouse drawing, but it's gonna give me carpal tunnel if I keep it up. Here's a pen drawing and a Flash brush drawing with roughly the same pose and same quality. I'm hoping the tablet will make my digital work a hell of a lot better, as well as relieve the stress on my wrist.

Thank you so much in advance for your time, and thanks to the original poster for making this very informative thread. :)

Hope the quoting didn't screw up, and that I was of some help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-25 15:40:48

I ask again

And should i buy it?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-25 17:16:39

At 7/25/07 03:40 PM, Fiskmannen wrote: I ask again

And should i buy it?

Wacom seems to be the best brand, it their products are very reliable.

As for the cheapest, that would probably be a Graphire model, 4x5 (the smallest size). Take a look around their site, and the first post in this thread, for some more info.

You could also check out stuff like eBay and amazon to see if there are any deals there.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-29 16:27:22

any good ones for like 20-30 dollars

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-30 10:53:45

At 7/29/07 04:27 PM, smallydude wrote: any good ones for like 20-30 dollars

No, the cheapest one is $100 (Graphier 4x5).
If your a serious animator the Intuos 3 ($425 Canadian) would be a good one (I have one).

You can't know what you don't know if you can only use yourself as a reference point.

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-30 11:43:38

At 7/29/07 04:27 PM, smallydude wrote: any good ones for like 20-30 dollars

http://computers.search.ebay.com/tablet_
Desktop-Laptop-Accessories_W0QQfromZR34Q QsacatZ31530

check that

Hmmm?

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-30 14:12:53

At 7/24/07 01:04 AM, Awsome-Rific wrote: 1. Wait, so in tablets, you see whatever is on your screen will be on the tablet? So it's pretty much a 2nd screen?

4. Can you do sprites?

I saw earlier in this thread that you had a bunch of questions but people had a hard time answering them, well here are the answers to your questions.

1) The $3000 tablets do have a second screen. I have a $400 one and it isn't a second screen.

2) Everything stays the same except that you can make the tablet pressure sensitive (if you want).

3) You should only get it if you want to make detailed stuff easier to draw.

4) It can do what a mouse can do, it's just easier to work with.

5) When I hold the tip of the pen 1 cm above the tablet, the cursor on the computer screen moves with it. If I move the pen to the left side of the tablet, the cursor will jump the left side of the screen the same thing happens when I move the pen to the right side of the tablet. Yes it does take some eye hand coordination but I got the hang of it after 2 days of practice.

You can't know what you don't know if you can only use yourself as a reference point.

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-30 16:20:21

I got mine on my birthday and it only cost me parents $40 CDN :D

| Email | PM | Underground Flash :D | Whoah, I'm not touching that with my 3 foot penis. ;D

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-30 16:26:36

What type did you get?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-07-30 16:32:02

At 7/30/07 04:26 PM, Rational-Delirium wrote: What type did you get?

I got a Graphire 6X8 :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-08-09 08:42:25

Should I get 6x8, or 4x6?

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-08-10 16:31:59

does the size of the tablet really matter?

its an airplane and a chicken

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-08-12 16:38:34

At 8/10/07 04:31 PM, Oshikorosu wrote: does the size of the tablet really matter?

It matters to a certain extent. Even though you can always zoom in on Flash, it matters if you want to have a big layout to draw just in general. The dimensions of the tablet holds the whole computer screen's dimensions. So at the bottom of the tablet, it'll be the taskbar at the bottom, and the top with be messing with the browser options. Usually you just use the center to draw, that's what I do -- but suite yourself. It matters sometimes. I recommend a Graphire 6X8 Tablet though.

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-08-13 03:23:23

ight thanks. also, how can i get a volito 2 in usa

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-08-13 03:54:52

At 8/13/07 03:23 AM, Oshikorosu wrote: ight thanks. also, how can i get a volito 2 in usa
At 8/13/07 03:27 AM, Generate wrote: I figured, I might put some money aside, and use one. See how it goes. What is the best place to buy Tablets in australia, the best store thats widespread? Thanks.

Both of you buy it off of the Wacom Site. :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-08-13 06:46:00

I got a Wacom Bamboo and i think it's best, it have a great price and like the other ones ( not cintiq and you now :) )

What do you guys think about Bamboo?
( Very cool design

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-08-13 06:47:03

At 8/13/07 06:46 AM, Dyar wrote: I got a Wacom Bamboo and i think it's best, it have a great price and like the other ones ( not cintiq and you now :) )

What do you guys think about Bamboo?
( Very cool design

SRy for 2 post, but is this a good tablet for animators?

Response to The Official Tablet Thread 2007-08-14 02:01:51

At 8/13/07 03:54 AM, Rudy wrote:
At 8/13/07 03:23 AM, Oshikorosu wrote: ight ...
At 8/13/07 03:27 AM, Generate wrote: I figured, I...
Both of you buy it off of the Wacom Site. :D

they dont have it on wacom usa and wacom europe dont ship to usa

BBS Signature